So what the heck is going on at Pleasure Island?

Be still my heart, bowling and food. Almost as exciting as movies and food.

Who comes up with these concepts?.

Hey kids, we're going to WDW, pack your bowling shoes.

I like the part that says, "To make the bowling more friendly to families". Who knew that knocking down pins with a plastic ball had become so unfriendly to families. And this is going to be the center piece of the revitalized DTD, really.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That must be the huge bowling/movie complex we saw In Fredericksburg. It doesn't look like that concept art but it is VERY nice...

IF they don't charge $59.95 per person to bowl.

I'm willing to bet that between the cost of the food and the bowling, it won't be very far from that price.

But hey, you're bowling at a non-Disney owned bowling alley at WDW. You can't do that just anywhere. Actually I guess you can.

From WDW Magic...

New Splitsville concept art

Mar 23, 2012

Now that Splitsville appears to be moving full steam ahead for a late 2012 opening in Downtown Disney's West Side, some new concept art has been released. This is the third version we have seen, but being the latest, is most likely the closest to the finished result. Click on the thumbnail below for the large version.

Share|

Copyright 2012 The Walt Disney Company

Splitsville_Thumb_15535.jpg?Expires=1332663632&Signature=W%7E0CZ1ajporlpvH0TUPWnBBxa61ZuspPIBAzBPTB0HcQH-v4Ds9kVwXkunmD7AomV5rFLonf3SRYAOpfmWcG5DR10TPZgQeaW9Q-AySKnXd13KW-X1bgFWP6CkfcYwUKgD4KIQVmlDb%7ExVL6h9WUSWxNk66tiNE-jzpA-DA5UBA_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIXD73LCXQPO2WCKQ

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Splitsville/News/23Mar2012-PHOTO---New-Splitsville-concept-art.htm

• 3 weeks later...

From WDW News Today...

Concept Art Shows What Hyperion Wharf Could Have Been

Apr 9, 2012 by wdwntadmin ico_post_comments.png3 Comments ico_post_date.png Posted under: Downtown Disney

As you are well aware, the Hyperion Wharf project for Downtown Disney and the now barren Pleasure Island is indefinitely on hold. While it might not ever happen, we recently came across some concept art that shows more of what the overhaul would have brought. The concept art is by PJ Tamayo and was made available on

his website as part of his portfolio. Enjoy:

dishw-rooftop-marquee.jpg

The large LED sign that would welcome guests entering from the parking lot

discrane-entry-1b.jpg

Apparently the area of new shops where Motion and Rock ‘N’ Roll Beach Club once stood would have been the Electric Waterfront

discrane-evtry-2-538x600.jpg

disedison-lamps_early_sm.jpg

The large Mickey made of LEDs would have lighted differently as the day turned to night

dis-people_intergalactic-bowling-01.jpg

Disney was planning on building their own bowling alley complex, presumably dead now that Splitsville is coming. From the look of the building, this would have been the old 8-Trax building

dis-people_intergalactic-bowling-_.jpg

An arcade inside the bowling alley

dis-intergalactic-bowling-people-04.jpg

The actual lanes were to be ESPN branded

intergalactic-bowling-05-hhpeople.jpg

A dining area off to the side, much like Splitsville

intergalactic-bowling-06.jpg

Some 3-D models show the dining area which may still be used over at Splitsville

More photos and info...

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/9099

I love the concept art.

This one is my favorite:

Look how much fun everyone is having in the bowling alley!!!

My favorite person here is the guy in the rust colored sweat suit facing the camera. He looks like he is being tortured. Or like he has severe constipation.

Couldn't the "artist" who created this "art" at least have used people who looked like they wanted to be there?

There is already a Splitsville in Tampa.

It's just a fancy (and expensive) bowling alley people.

But, I think it might work in Downtown Disney. It will give folks something to do. People could use a few more things to do in Downtown Disney.

TCD

I love the concept art.

This one is my favorite:

Look how much fun everyone is having in the bowling alley!!!

My favorite person here is the guy in the rust colored sweat suit facing the camera. He looks like he is being tortured. Or like he has severe constipation.

TCD

I was just catching up on this and was thinking the same thing about the guy in the rust colored sweat suit. Then the "Gotta go, Gotta go, gotta go right now" theme came into my head.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Disney Food Blog. Follow the link for more photos...

Splitsville: Opening Fall 2012 in Walt Disney World

May 6th, 2012 by AJ.

We’re looking forward to the Fall 2012 opening of Splitsville at Downtown Disney! With food and bowling, who could ask for anything more? icon_wink.gif

splitsville2.jpeg

Splitsville Concept Art

This games-meets-food “lounge” will be a great family dining spot, I’m sure. We’ve got the menu from the Tampa location below, and — from the looks of it — the Orlando menu will be very similar (of course, it’s subject to change).

splitsville-menu-600x345.jpg

Splitsville Tampa Menu -- Click to see larger version

Come on — filet mignon at the bowling alley? 60-ounce alcoholic drinks? Awesome. I’m pretty excited to try those Firehouse Sliders and the Kool-Aid Bowl myself…

Since it’s not quite open yet, though, here are a few pics we snapped on a recent visit to the construction site [see link at end]

A bowling alley with sushi!

Sushi, Pizza, Sliders, and Cocktails; sounds good to me.

Splitsville-Sign-600x384.jpg

Sushi, Pizza, Sliders, Cocktails!

How do you roll?

Stop in for burgers, sushi, and pizza!

Stop in to Splitsville where you can – Dine, Dance, Drink, Bowl!

Yep, we’re getting hungry for some eats at Splitsville!

So, I’m thinking that even if you don’t love bowling, this spot will still be a good place to visit for some fun comfort fud!!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/05/06/splitsville-opening-fall-2012-in-walt-disney-world/

From WDW News Today...

Splitsville Rolls Into Downtown Disney’s West Side This Fall

May 4, 2012 by wdwntadmin

Each year, 55 million people try their hand a bowling around the world. Everyone finds a bit of joy in the experience from the avid league bowler to the weekend warrior. But the age-old image of bowling is about to change with the new opening of Splitsville, America’s Bowling Alley, at Downtown Disney this Fall.

”We’re really excited to be opening our doors in such a special place,” said Guy Revelle, co-founder of Splitsville. “Bowling is a perfect experience for groups of all sizes. It’s where families come together to create memories, children can teach adults, and friendly rivalries are born. Guests laugh, shout, cheer and bring back the timeless high-five. And that’s just in the first frame!”

If you think that this is your father’s bowling alley, think again. Splitsville’s 50,000-square foot, two-story Downtown Disney location will have 30 lanes, two kitchens, a dramatic balcony, ample outdoor seating, billiard tables and live entertainment.

”In a world of smart phones, tablets, texting and social media, people need an outlet to connect again,” said Mark Gibson, co-founder of Splitsville. “We believe that a concept centered around the classic sport of bowling, but with an improved atmosphere, upscale food and pleasant service, results in a surprising destination for people to have fun together.”

Located in the heart of Downtown Disney’s West Side, Splitsville puts a whole new spin on bowling with its emphasis on unique design. Guests will be greeted with upscale sushi bars, plush booths and dynamic decor overlooking the bowling lanes. The design blends both hip and retro elements, resulting in an energetic yet comfortable atmosphere.

”One of Splitsville’s differentiating features is its innovative interior design,” said Gibson. “The lanes are separated into several clusters, which create unique lines of sight and allow guests to view bowling from a perspective that you can’t find anywhere else. It makes for a one-of-a-kind entertainment experience.”

”Splitsville is clearly going to be a great place to bowl,” said Keith Bradford, vice president of Downtown Disney. “But I think our guests are going to be surprised that they can also go there for great food and to watch sports. That’s what makes Splitsville a perfect fit and such a great addition for Downtown Disney.”

Splitsville has taken great care to develop an exceptional menu that combines traditional and upscale offerings. With the help of award-winning chef Tim Cushman, Guests will find surprising elements such as fresh rolled sushi, grilled mahi-mahi with “Voodoo” shrimp and hand-cut steaks alongside alley-classics like cheeseburgers, crinkle-cut fries and pepperoni pizza.

“We have created a collection of sharable foods combined with unique beverages and signature desserts,” said Revelle. “Splitsville truly has something for everyone. We invite you to Roll in and Rock out!”

img-photos-22-Exterior-Rendering-800x364.jpg

Our first look at the backside of the Splitsville building

The following video shows an existing Splitsville location in Tampa, FL, so you can get a feel for what the interior might be like. There are also a few soundbites from Guy Revelle, Co-Founder of Splitsville:

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/9324

Hey kids, we're going to Disney world. No, not to the parks, we're going bowling.

Now if they had Duck Pin or Candle Pin bowling, I might go.

I'm guessing only Mo and Steve know what I'm talking about.

I know candlepin, too! Three tries to knock the tall skinny pins down with a croquette-type ball and they don't remove the pins you knocked down in between balls. Did Dave Maynard use to MC the the candlepin bowling show on WBZ (maybe) Saturday afternoons? Much more fun that standard bowling and great for the kids.

Did Dave Maynard use to MC the the candlepin bowling show on WBZ (maybe) Saturday afternoons?

OMG - I used to watch the Saturday candlepin bowling show with my Memere. :)

Sadly, Dave Maynard just died recently. I got to meet him in person once on Community Auditions.

But that was a very, very long time ago...

Did Dave Maynard use to MC the the candlepin bowling show on WBZ (maybe) Saturday afternoons?

Wow, a blast from the past.

Sadly, Dave Maynard just died recently. I got to meet him in person once on Community Auditions.

Sorry to hear that. Grew up listening to him on the radio.

"Star of the day, who will it be"