Florida to Arizona and Utah

Rather than heading to the Fort, all the way from Clermont, FL, we decided to go long distance last month.  We just got back from a 2 week trip to the Grand Canyon and Moab, UT for our 30th wedding anniversary.  What a great trip!

We towed the camper a little over 5,000 miles and the Ram 1500 and the camper were perfect.  We towed in rain and in some heavy cross winds of over 35MPH and the Andersen Hitch did a great job of controlling sway.  We had another camper pass us in strong crosswinds, and that trailer was all over the road.  The Camplite with the Andersen hitch would sway in one direction slightly and settle right back in.  Passing 18 wheelers had little effect on us. While maintaining a speed of about 65MPH, we averaged about 11 MPG over the 5000 miles, even with some pretty good grades in parts.  I was very happy with that.

Here are a few things I learned:
1) Louisiana has the roughest Interstate roads.
2) Texas has more crosses, American flags and pro-gun signs/stickers than any other state (and were very friendly).
3) The gas in Southeast Utah is not as expensive as people were warning me, although don't get gas at the Desert View section of the Grand Canyon National Park.
4) Mississippi, New Mexico and Texas have some pretty smooth roads, as does Florida.
5) Staying at the rest stops overnight went well.
6) The Pilot/Flying J charge card available through Good Sam saves you 5 cents a gallon and with all but one location, their regular price was already the cheapest.  The card saved us a lot.
7) Remember that showers will fill the grey tank a lot faster than you may be used to.

We stayed at Trailer Village in the Grand Canyon.  It was excellent.  The location was great.  The best was the Elk that would roam the park.  Also, you could just get on the bus a short walk from your camper and go anywhere in the park.  In the six days we were there, we hiked about 24 miles, including three miles down Bright Angel Trail (about a 2,000 ft descent) and then back up (the tough part).

IMAG1686_zps8e4f98e4.jpg

We had dinner at the Arizona Room as well as the Bright Angel Restaurant, both at the Bright Angel Lodge.  We had a table right at the window and could look into the Canyon.  The scenery at the park was amazing:

10552407_964363600257337_544513397590294

After 6 nights we headed to Moab, UT.  There we stayed at the Spanish Trail Campground, which although basic, was a nice clean place with very nice people.  From there we saw Arches National Park:

10696397_967871059906591_810078662820734

and Canyonlands National Park

10665824_968561876504176_147932804559021

All in all a great trip.  The drive went well, the truck and camper were terrific and my wife and I had a great time.  After 5,000 miles driving and 43 miles of hiking, my wife and I were happy but tired, and the truck and camper loaded with bugs.  But it was all worth it.  

First! Beautiful pictures! Please post more! 

I didn't realize some places let you overnight in rest areas. How did you do that? 

It worked well for us.  When we were tired of driving, we would just pull into a good rest stop, or a Flying J and park in the designated area for RVs/Campers.  Worked well for us.  There is a phone App called RVParky that will show you on a map the different locations and whether or not you are allowed to stay there overnight.  On the way out, after a few hours of driving after work, we stopped at an I-75 rest stop just north of Gainesville, then we stopped in Louisiana, about 3 miles from the Texas Border (in a Flying J), and then in a rest stop just inside New Mexico.  On the way back, we stopped at a Flying J in New Mexico, parked in an RV spot, had dinner at the Denneys there and then stayed the night.  The staff even asked if we would be back in for breakfast in the morning.  We also stopped at a rest stop in Louisiana, and then on I-10 past Tallahassee.

Very, very awesome!!!   Someday, I will make that journey!!

That is a trip not to be missed.  It was our third time to the Grand Canyon, and it is always special.  Defines the term "Breathtaking".  Arches and Canyonlands were beautiful and memorable as well, but the Canyon is always special.  Next time we'd like to get back to Bryce Canyon and Zion.

Beautiful pictures; I'm envious of your trip.  

2) Texas has more crosses, American flags and pro-gun signs/stickers than any other state (and were very friendly).

You pretty much nailed Texas right there in that one sentence.  We love God, our country, hunting, and saying "howdy" to strangers.

Enjoyed Texas.  Very nice people.  Really enjoyed the Cracker Barrel in Amarillo (the Cracker Barrel on the west side of the city just off I-40).  VERY nice service there.

Wow!  

Just beautiful.  And I can't get over all the wildlife wandering around the campground.  

Words really can't describe the place.  This was our best trip there. I wish we had a 3D camera to really capture the size.  It defines the term breathtaking.