Cell Towers Installed at the Fort

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Paid a quick visit to the Fort yesterday (October 16, 2014), and I was surprised when I looked to my right while passing the unhitch area and saw two cell towers rising above the trees:       I'm su

Foolish mortals. These cell towers are not for you, they are for the nearby resort you are not allowed to visit.

Maybe they will cover them in plastic branches and make them look like Sequoias.   PS, I can't see the pictures, my work PC blocks links to imaging sites so I'm just imagining what they look like!

:rofl3:

I'm actually more afraid of MDE. 

How do you know MDE isn't Skynett?  Think about it... a system designed to infiltrate every aspect of your life (at WDW) that has the ability to track your activities, run by a massive computer system in a major corporation that has already figured out how to take a picture of your soul...

101614100_zps1d7643cf.jpg

Hmmmmmmm?!?!  8)

Another possibility to consider...

If they are working on improving the WiFi around WDW, it's not necessarily just for Guests...

There are tons of tablets being used by the front desks at the resorts, ticketing, and many, many other applications. They're used for things like activating tickets, cashiering for bar service, etc.

CMs having trouble getting service on these would seem to be a much more pressing matter than how quickly Guests can access MDE.

Umm. There is not a seperate network for these devices. We utilize the same network guests do to perform our jobs. The only exception is our devices have priority over a guest device. And the function of the device determins the priority it gets. When the park is packed, our uploads of the photos we take slow down due to increased network traffic. So improving the guest wifi will improve our wifi.

Many of the cellular providers are adding more towers and in many cases lowering their existing ones.  This is to create smaller footprints for each cell tower.  With the cell phones/ tablets becoming more data intensive the smaller footprint for each site helps to keep the site from being overwhelmed with data requests.  Hopefully the additional sites cover the areas where the existing have been lowered.  

Once your wireless signal hits a cell tower, the signal gets combined with the other folks signal hitting the same tower.  Then they usually leave the cell site over a copper or fiber optic network.  That is usually where the bottleneck really occurs.  So the more cell sites each getting hit with less data requests tends to decrease the bottleneck.

Could it be the tracking of the RFID radios in the Magic bands?

See "Skynet"  8)

Many of the cellular providers are adding more towers and in many cases lowering their existing ones.  This is to create smaller footprints for each cell tower.  With the cell phones/ tablets becoming more data intensive the smaller footprint for each site helps to keep the site from being overwhelmed with data requests.  Hopefully the additional sites cover the areas where the existing have been lowered.  

Once your wireless signal hits a cell tower, the signal gets combined with the other folks signal hitting the same tower.  Then they usually leave the cell site over a copper or fiber optic network.  That is usually where the bottleneck really occurs.  So the more cell sites each getting hit with less data requests tends to decrease the bottleneck.

And once again, I learn something new here!  :)

From the article:

“Everything had to be concealed,” Quant said. “As a parkgoer, you will never see any of the equipment.”

and:

"AT&T engineers and Disney Imagineers worked together to insure that resort guests wouldn’t see such glaring visual aberrations to the themed attractions at the park."

That article refers to small hidden repeater type antennas throughout the parks. Sprint set those up at some of our larger offices where cell coverage was poor.

Those towers may be part of AT&T's commitment to better coverage, but they look like regular old towers, and like TCD said, why bother hiding them, it's only the Fort campers that see them and we aren't important.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding where these towers were placed, but wouldn't they be visible to the Four Seasons' guests as well?

It looks like these are right next to the main FW road?  If so, they might not be noticeable at all from the you-know-where....  If they are going to put any antennas near that other place you can bet your bytes they won't be as obtrusive as these!   :lol:

Good job, Warren.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding where these towers were placed, but wouldn't they be visible to the Four Seasons' guests as well?

It looks like these are right next to the main FW road?  If so, they might not be noticeable at all from the you-know-where....  If they are going to put any antennas near that other place you can bet your bytes they won't be as obtrusive as these!   :lol:

I think the only reason these towers are as close to Ft. Wilderness Trail as they are is because of the Four Seasons.

This is the view that they are marketing:  fourseasonsorlando_zpse0b6964d.jpg

The Fort is to the left, out of view in this photo.  The cell towers are as far to the west and as far away from the Four Seasons as they could go without actually installing them in one of the loops.

Yes, the towers are going to be visible from the Four Seasons- but the orientation of the hotel directs guests attention away from the Fort, and toward the MK view.

Oh every body loves there phone towers are just part of it. It's just the time we live in

OK.

Then, maybe they should just put a couple up next to the pool and be done with it.

TCD

One plus if you want to call it that, is that a lot of these towers are now owned by company that leases antennas out to the various cell companies.  There might be 3 or 4 different carries on it.

When cell phones first came on the scene each company was installing their own tower.

Then municipalities started cracking down on tower placements, so these companies came into play.

Some carriers still put up their own trying to win the coverage war over competitors.

And then you have the carriers puting in the hidden small footprint ones like AT&T did at Disney.

You can be sure they are paying a small fortune to Disney to be able to say they have the best coverage on property.

• 1 month later...

Nice work.

I'd love to see photos when and if the branches sprout.

TCD

Like they say, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

Here you go:

113014601_zps540ed1b5.jpg

Here's a zoom on that suspicious looking tree in the center of that photo:

celltower_zps4f263375.jpg

The towers actually blend in pretty well.  They're definitely not as tall as some of the others you see around WDW.

TCD

Like they say, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

Here you go:

113014601_zps540ed1b5.jpg

Here's a zoom on that suspicious looking tree in the center of that photo:

celltower_zps4f263375.jpg

The towers actually blend in pretty well. They're definitely not as tall as some of the others you see around WDW.

TCD

They were slow growing and didn't sprout until early November, but then DISNEY really fertilized and they took off. :rofl2: