The TCD Gang Jump Starts Christmas: An Early November Fort Trip Report

Was it her?

JulieOsbournLights.jpg

LOL, Harold.

Good job.

It has to be her.  Ed said only one person took a photo, and there she is.

I'm in!  Page 3 isn't too shabby for me, so I'm just happy to be here. 

Love the sunset picture - that was absolutely gorgeous.

Love all the digital images of the castle on other people's phones/ipads.  Too funny.

And love, love the Osborne pics.  Our favorite is the flying angels.  I had heard last year that 2013 was going to be the last year for this display, but thankfully that wound up being wrong.  Then, I heard on a podcast just this morning that this year will be the last.  Anyone have any inside info on that?  TCD twins?  

Looking forward to the rest of this report!

Glad that you're reading along, Leslie.

That sunset was even more impressive in person.  And more impressive than the man-made Dream Lights and Osborne Lights that we were going to see that night.

I heard the rumors last year, and the rumors about next year.  The twins have too.  The thing is that CM rumors are worse than anything out there on the internet.  There are definitely CM's who make stuff up just for fun.  So, who knows?

Nope ...

How do you know that's not her?  You said in your TR that you could barely see a thing in DHS because of the rain and splashing.

Thank you for pointing out the cat, I can never find it and I would be disappointed to miss it when we are there in December.

I hope that you impress your family when you point out the cat.  Since the canopy area is always so crowded, and the cat is down low this year, it may be hard for folks to spot.

We walked right past that alley a couple of times before I thought to stop and look down it.

TCD

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll sing Christmas carols cheaper than the $30 for a special band! Dominic the donkey is my specialty.

The TCD gang hasn't camped at the Fort since the 4th of July.   I can't tell you how hard it was to not go for Halloween this year.   But we couldn't.  We already had other plans.   The oldest TCD DD

It's Florida....it thaws quickly. 

I'm going to squeeze in one more update today, as I may not be able to post one tomorrow.

Our first night at the Fort was great.  We got to see the brand new castle lighting show and the Osborne Lights.  And enjoyed a GAG in between.  I consider that a successful first day.

We had big plans for Thursday.

We were out late the night before, and would be out late on Thursday, so the plan for the morning was to let the girls sleep and then hit Trail's End for breakfast to enjoy that 40% CM discount.

I haven't mentioned this yet, but we were cart-less on Wednesday.  Since this was a last minute trip, I was late making a reservation, and could only get the cart from Thursday through Sunday.

That meant I was on foot for my morning rounds, and we would be picking up our cart later in the morning, hopefully right after breakfast.

Good thing we were in the 100 loop.

There's plenty of stuff in walking distance from there.

With daylight savings time having ended, the sun comes up early at the Fort this time of year.  I headed out before 7 am.

This is a view from the sidewalk behind our site looking toward the side of my camper.  You can see my screen room there through the bushes.  This site had some nice wilderness around it and afforded some nice privacy:

11514091_zpsf9477fbe.jpg

Now we're looking at the three-way stop from the back of my site:

11514092_zps462963de.jpg

The official name for the 100 loop is Bay Tree Lane:

11514093_zps36c9a728.jpg

This is the view looking up Big Pine Drive-the 100/200 loop comfort station is on the left:

11514094_zps52d08615.jpg

Now I'm standing with my back to the golf cart path and looking up Fort Wilderness Trail.  I love being up early and having the feeling that I have the whole Fort to myself:

11514095_zps4879fb17.jpg

SQUIRREL!!!:

11514096_zps943085af.jpg

Most of you call this the Path of Awesomeness.  But, in the TCD gang, we call it the bumpy road. Because that's what it used to be.  When we first began to visit the Fort, it was unpaved, and taking a golf cart down it at a good speed would give you some air time:

11514097_zps4c0dc9bb.jpg

I headed down the bumpy road and hung a right, past a sleepy Settlement Trading Post:

11514099_zps86ec7181.jpg

The door to the rear service area was ajar, which allowed me to snap this photo confirming that the covered wagon that was placed back there almost a year ago still sits there with its ripped roof:

11514100_zps7321cfad.jpg

This wagon is a prop that is supposed to be on display in front of the Trading Post. But its canvas roof disintegrated.  The idiots in charge still haven't gotten it fixed.

Seriously bad show.

Speaking of bad show, the temporary sign outside the Pedestrian Nature Path is still on display:

11514102_zpsa414c484.jpg

The post that the permanent sign used to be mounted on is still here, but empty:

11514104_zpsc7418d83.jpg

The permanent sign got knocked down last January or so when they were doing some construction back in this area.  Ten months later, it still hasn't been replaced.  This is a photo from the TCD archives that shows what it used to look like:

2113069_zpscd6b7785.jpg

That photo is from my New Year's Eve TR.  As you can see, the construction was going on then.  Someone must have knocked the sign over right after that, as it was gone when we were next at the Fort in March.

If you haven't guessed already, we're about to head down the Pedestrian Nature Path:

11514105_zpsc15eddd6.jpg

And speaking of nature, it didn't take long for me to come across some.  Look at those two brown bumps there in the brush to the right of the center of this photo:

11514106_zps50c974b9.jpg

It's a momma and a baby!:

11514107_zps367a6177.jpg

I walked slow, and they were not the least bit scared of me:

11514109_zps21687673.jpg

The baby was fascinated by me and watched me the whole time:

11514110_zpscda2076c.jpg

I kept on walking, and headed toward the lake shore, right here to my favorite spot.  Although it was light out, the sun had not quite risen, which I think made for some cool photos with the dark sky reflecting off of Bay Lake:

11514111_zps7be4bae9.jpg

11514112_zpsee106e16.jpg

Seeing that was definitely worth the walk.

Turning from that beautiful sight, I was treated to a stunning view of the BABH:

11514113_zps1b39a96d.jpg

In case you're behind on your TCD TR reading, BABH stands for Big A** Bat House.  That's what that thing is.

It was 7:11 am when I took this photo, and there were a couple of guys already fishing out on Bay Lake. I don't know who these guys were.  I haven't seen the guides take guests out in boats like that:

11514114_zpsd85e63fc.jpg

Another look at the BABH.  Do you see that moss hanging from the antenna over there?  That moss bugs me. All those workers were out here, and not one of them cleared the moss off of that antenna:

11514115_zps29556c07.jpg

The gate that blocks access to the old cabin and Wilderness Swamp Trail remains closed and locked:

11514116_zps9a0dec6d.jpg

I looked through the fence to see if I could see any evidence that bats had moved in to the BABH.  I didn't see, hear or smell anything suggesting that the BABH had residents:

11514117_zps1834ca04.jpg

I continued walking toward the 300 loop:

11514118_zpse4f383d2.jpg

Looking back at the BABH:

11514119_zps2f8bfe39.jpg

The view from the canal that runs along the back of the 200 and 100 loops, which would be to the left of the canal. I like how the big cypress tree is reflecting on the canal water:

11514120_zps45ec331b.jpg

If you look along the edge of the canal in this photo, you'll see a big white egret in flight:

11514121_zps1f2897fe.jpg

In the not-so-bright dawn light, you can't see the Four Season abomination all that well from here.  But it's there alright.  I haven't been back here after dark yet since the abomination has opened, but I could clearly see it glowing and with red lights blinking on its towers from Fort Wilderness Trail during some late night cart looping later in this trip.  It's awful I tell you:

11514122_zps528c4589.jpg

This was one of my favorite vistas at the Fort. The Four Seasons towers jutting out above the tree line wreck it for me now:

11514123_zps7d8a2536.jpg

From here, my plan was to walk in to the 300 loop, and exit back out onto Big Pine Drive.  I was not sure what I would do next.  I've been wanting to go on a mission to investigate the Four Seasons, but that would be much easier for me if I had a golf cart to at least start out in the 1800 loop.  I thought about catching a bus from the 300 loop bus stop.  But, I wasn't sure I wanted to do that this morning.  I kept mulling over this as I entered the 300 loop.

Next up, we will take a look around the 300 loop, which had quite a few open spaces, and then we will be having our first Fiend encounter of this trip.  Which was quite unexpected.

TCD

I'm in for this one!  Page 3!

A couple of things...

We've never been to WDW in the fall or winter, so have never seen the Osborne lights in person.  Are they all LED lights?  I would assume that a few years ago the were not.  If they are changed now, has it made a difference?  They seem really bright in your photos.

How great it was that you were able to get that primo spot in 100.   I think I would take 100 over 2000 any day, especially for the same price. ;)

I think I mentioned it last time the Osbourne lights were in a trip report but my husband grew up in Little Rock and saw the Osbourne lights there several times. I just asked him if he ever saw the cat and he said he remembers seeing it once. He mostly remembers the long line of traffic due to the lights.

Enjoying this report just like all the others. :)

Ahh...pictures of the Fort always make me "homesick".  Hmm...if I put the kids in the truck right now, we could be having dinner at Trails End tonight ;)

There was a gator in the canal by the BABH when we were there in October.  We stayed away from him.

Great update.  Will miss seeing one tomorrow.

And I missed posting one.  But, there's going to be at least one update today.

I'm in for this one!  Page 3!

A couple of things...

We've never been to WDW in the fall or winter, so have never seen the Osborne lights in person.  Are they all LED lights?  I would assume that a few years ago the were not.  If they are changed now, has it made a difference?  They seem really bright in your photos.

How great it was that you were able to get that primo spot in 100.   I think I would take 100 over 2000 any day, especially for the same price. ;)

Good job snagging a page 3 spot, they're all gone now.

Yes, all the lights were swapped out to LED's a few years ago.  The lights were plenty bright before.  But, the LED's are brighter, and they seem to be able to do more with them now. The canopy is really cool when it gets going.  One things that photos can't possibly convey is the experience of watching all of the lights "dance" with the music.  You just have to be there for that.

Anything is better than 2000.  We drove through there a couple of times over the weekend, and the typical bad stuff was going on there. 

Listen, you need to get over to that BABH and find out if anyone lives there. I can't believe you've been letting a fence stop you for this long. 

If I really wanted to, I'd go and get up close to the BABH.  You're right-that fence can't stop me.

But, I haven't really wanted to.

To prove I haven't gotten soft, and that a 6' fence is no match for me, please stay tuned for the update after the next one where I will be showcasing my shimmying skills.  There were some new poles on the Pioneer Hall porch that needed trying out.

I'm late, but I'm in! That sunset picture is great! I LOVE the Osborne lights - don't think I'll ever get to see them in person again, so I'm really loving those pics!

Glad you liked the sunset pic.  That was also something much more impressive in person.

Why do you think you'll never see the Osborne Lights again in person?  

In on page three.  I winterized the trailer today.  Packing everything up for the season always makes me sad.  If Luke Bryan or the Luckalow's were near that BABH the fence would have long been toppled.  I look forward to the rest of the trip report. 

Chris

Hey Chis!  Nice to see a post from you.

My daughter in Auburn says it's getting cold up that way.  I'm glad that I never have to winterize my camper- that must be a sad day.

As far as I know, there were no Luckows around the Fort this trip.  You're right-if there were, that fence wouldn't be there.

I think I mentioned it last time the Osbourne lights were in a trip report but my husband grew up in Little Rock and saw the Osbourne lights there several times. I just asked him if he ever saw the cat and he said he remembers seeing it once. He mostly remembers the long line of traffic due to the lights. Enjoying this report just like all the others. :)

That's cool that your husband got to see the real thing.  It must have been awful for the neighbors, though.

Another great update!

Thanks, Gwen.

We have dueling TR's going!

Since you were there for three weeks, and I was only there for a weekend, yours will be going much longer than this one.

Ahh...pictures of the Fort always make me "homesick".  Hmm...if I put the kids in the truck right now, we could be having dinner at Trails End tonight ;)

There was a gator in the canal by the BABH when we were there in October.  We stayed away from him.

So, did you load up the truck and go?  Wouldn't that be a fun thing to do sometime?  Just spontaneously head to the Fort!

I didn't see any gators in the canal this time. 

Good updates.  Love the cat pics with the spoiler alerts.  

Looking forward to more!

Glad you liked the cat.  I was glad we found it.  I'm hoping to get back to the Osborn lights to visit the cat a few times before the end of the year.

Missed the second update yesterday, so I had one today.  It is good to be me. :D

Way to go.

Glad you didn't feel deprived.

It is good to be Mo6.

TCD

Update time.

We left off on the morning of Thursday, November 6.  I was on foot, about to enter the 300 loop after walking up the pedestrian path, and crossing the bridge by the canal.

I had snagged the last site on the 100 loop the day before, and the Fort seemed busy to me, so I was surprised to see a bunch of empty sites in the back of the 300 loop:

11514124_zps37b51ef5.jpg

Any day now, a crazy lady is going to show up at the Fort with three crazier dogs, and will more than likely be set up in one of the sites shown in that photo.  In other words, things are about to pick up on this back side of the 300 loop.

Hey look, that Philly Phan has a love note from the Fort on his truck.  I thought they didn't distribute those any more.:

11514125_zps8c8345ab.jpg

Turns out that was a false alarm.  That love note was from the Magical Express people, not the Fort.

There were a bunch of empty sites in the inside part of the loop:

11514126_zps08e301c8.jpg

I am not sure what was going on with this guy.  I gave him a TCD Real Man of Genius award for parking his pop-up at an angle and using a green hose for his water supply.  Plus something was leaking all over his site:

11514127_zps5d6da19e.jpg

These folks had one of the outside sites closer to the entrance.  They had a nice lake view, plus a fenced in area for their dogs (or children) :

11514128_zps1b71ad5e.jpg

As I headed out of the loop, I spotted a well decorated site on the other side of the basketball court.  Look at all those inflatables!  And, they have a Christmas tree and everything.  So far, this was the best decorated site I had seen in the Fort:

11514129_zps734cbd83.jpg

As I walked further, I noticed there was a Jolly fellow with white hair and a big beard walking his dogs from that site.

Could it be?

I thought it was, but I wasn't sure.

So, I walked up to say hello.

It was our own Santa/Shannon from here on Fort Fiends!

And his lovely bride.

And his two dogs.

Right there on the 300 loop.  That site with all the inflatables was his.

What a pleasant surprise.

We've met before.

And collaborated on some fun projects.

It was great to run in to Shannon.

Shannon is currently on a posting break here, but he told me he still reads.  So, if you read this, Shannon, I'm glad I ran into you and Mrs. Claus.

Shannon told me that he and his wife were taking the dogs for a walk, and were heading toward the 100 loop, so we walked that way together.  We compared notes on what we had done so far, and what we were planning to do, and had a nice visit along the way.

We parted ways when we got to my site.  I ran into Shannon and his wife again the very next morning in the Meadow Trading Post, and saw them walking their dogs over by the 400 loop one morning as well.  That morning, a family on a golf cart stopped so they could get a photo of their kid with Santa.  I saw the whole thing play out, and it made me smile.

Shannon, I hope you end your posting break soon. 

The girls were still all asleep when I got back.  That was no surprise.  I think they'd sleep past noon if I ever let them.  The night before, I had suggested that we try to go to Trail's End for breakfast today.  I've had luck booking last minute reservations there, and tried a few times using the stupid MDE app on my phone.  The app wasn't loading right, and when it did, it wasn't showing any availability at any time that morning.  I doubted that it was that busy there, so I decided to walk over and see if Ms. Josie was there and could give my the DL on whether or not we would be able to get in without a reservation this morning.

One reason I love the 100 loop is because it's an easy walk to Pioneer Hall and Trail's End from there.  I headed around the 100 loop, and walked past the VIP cabins.  Looks like the VIP's who were there over Halloween forgot to pack their pumpkins:

11514130_zpsb3eec1db.jpg

This was November 6.  Six days after Halloween.  Carved pumpkins don't typically last that long in Florida. These were already moldy on the inside and were starting to collapse. They disappeared later that day.

As expected, Ms. Josie was at her post on the porch outside of Trail's End. I said hello, and told her we wanted to come and see her for breakfast later.  She asked if we had an ADR, and I told her no.  She said I had better go around the corner to the concierge and get one.  It was going to be busy there today. 

I didn't know the concierge opened that early, but I walked around the corner, and just one window was open, with a very pleasant and helpful CM there on duty waiting to help me.  The young lady was able to pull up a Trail's End breakfast reservation for us for 10:30, which is the exact time I wanted. I told her I had tried to do that myself on the app all morning, but got nothing.  We had a little discussion about the app.  She told me that it was pretty much useless, and that the concierges had access to a different and updated database.  How ridiculous is that?  Since this CM was so helpful, I asked her to check and see if there was anything at all open for a table service meal at the MK for Friday night.  I had been trying to get us a reservation for a table service restaurant for dinner at the MK ever since we purchased the MVMCP tickets weeks before.  But, there was never anything open.  Nothing.  All night long at all of the full service restaurants.  The concierge checked for me, and told me she saw nothing available either.  She suggested that I try again in the evening, as the new reservation policy requires guests to pay a cancellation fee if they don't cancel at least 24 hours before their reservation.  The concierge told me that new policy does free up spots for last minute reservations, and she thought we would at least get some options if we checked back that evening.  That gave me some small hope that we wouldn't be eating our dinner at Pecos Bills before the Christmas party.

There was a DVC truck parked at the DVC kiosk.   There was a guy there putting up a new sign.  Wow.  They had that "Best Kept Disney Secret" sign there for about 20 years, and had just changed it not too long ago.  Now another new sign?  I wondered if maybe this was going to be a sign announcing the start of sales for he new River Country DVC.  But, it was just a new slogan:  "Vacations You Never Outgrow."  Not bad:

11514131_zpsbaf18a75.jpg

I headed back to the porch to let Josie know that the concierge had hooked me up with a reservation, and went inside to get a cup of coffee I could enjoy on the porch.  I walked past all of the high top tables and chairs, and the two lonely rocking chairs on the porch, and turned the corner to find a large family had commandeered one of the picnic tables to eat a take out breakfast.  Their bratty kids were using the only two rocking chairs on the side porch.  There are only four rocking chairs on the entire porch now. And about 50 high top tables and chairs. That is not a good thing.  The view is still good, but there was no place for me to sit and enjoy it:

11514132_zps0f367d83.jpg

The Fort landscapers are doing a very good job lately.  Look at the pretty flowers growing around the Crockett's Tavern sign:

11514133_zps15eabcfd.jpg

Sometime in the next two weeks, a giant Christmas tree and a bunch of poinsettia plants will be showing up in that fenced in area.  I can't wait:

11514134_zps18502f94.jpg

Since there was no place for me to sit on the porch other than those stupid high top chairs, and nothing was going on yet back at my site, I figured I might as well get my River Country and TCD Barn inspections out of the way.

I guess the construction work on Pioneer Hall is complete, as the fenced in work area they had set up out back is now gone:

11514135_zps5534423d.jpg

I see that debris is beginning to collect on the new roof of the old River Country ticket booth.  Maybe by this time next year, there will be some nice plants growing up there:

11514136_zps76c65317.jpg

The last time I was back this way, I got to see them setting up and breaking down from that private Luke Bryan concert.  All was quiet back here this morning.  It looks like they had a nice fall photo op set up for Mickey's Backyard BBQ guests:

11514137_zps1b0b9e76.jpg

Here you go- a nice photo backdrop.  I reckon this will stay here until Thanksgiving, and then they'll break out the snowman:

11514138_zps93a5b2c7.jpg

By the way, those hay bales are fake. You can see that the hay bale in front of this display over by the restrooms is falling apart:

11514139_zps38457a86.jpg

Here's the requisite disintegrating River Country photo.  Those rocks under the slides are really crumbling:

11514141_zps9d238cce.jpg

I headed back toward the pavilion to cut through and head out toward the TCD barn.  Here are the stage decorations:

11514142_zps164875d7.jpg

The band's playlist is posted behind the stage.  If you ever go to Mickey's Backyard BBQ and want to impress your friends, you could tell them what song is coming up next:

11514143_zpsd026d29a.jpg

Looks like we have arrived at the barn on a cleaning day:

11514144_zps51edf7d6.jpg

Yup.  Looks like the stalls all got cleaned out. That truck is full of dirty hay.  And that CM is sweeping up:

11514145_zps1d144187.jpg

There's a nice fall display inside of the calliope enclosure, and I tried to find a place I could stand and get a photo without a bad glare from the glass.  Nope:

11514146_zpsfe4e15b8.jpg

And this one didn't work either:

11514147_zpsa2e4a83a.jpg

After I took that last photo, the CM who had been sweeping came up and said, "let me help you."  Then he proceeded to unlock and slide back the glass enclosure. "There," he said.  He said it was OK for me to step in for a photo. He also told me that the calliope was something that Walt Disney himself had purchased for use in Disneyland back in the 1950's.  He invited me to go up and touch it, and pointed out that it was all hand carved wood.  I thanked the CM, and took some photos without the glass in the way:

11514148_zpsff468592.jpg

The CM asked me if I wanted him to take my picture, and he asked me to hand over the camera. So I did, and he took this shot:

11514150_zps7c0881b0.jpg

How cool is that?

I got to touch something that Walt touched.

The CM probably would have said it was OK for me to climb up and sit on the seat, but I didn't want to push my luck.

I got another photo of this nice fall display, and noticed that this one uses genuine hay bales:

11514151_zps3fc8ed5a.jpg

I also took a couple of close-up detail shots.  Like this one of the current logo displayed on the side:

11514152_zpsf24e1e9b.jpg

I remember from some old posts here on ff.net that the logo currently on the calliope is not authentic.  It was supposed to be changed during a restoration project on the calliope, but it still hasn't been changed.

The detailed carvings on this wagon are simply amazing to see up close:

11514153_zpsd36e7392.jpg

After I took that last photo, I thanked the CM for allowing me in for those photos, and he pointed out the horse display area to me. I've been in there many times, but humored the CM by going in for another look.

You can see here on the calliope model that is on display that the Disney World  logo is clearly different from the one currently on the calliope:

11514155_zps132b0b09.jpg

But, clearly, that Disney World logo wasn't the first logo that would have been used on the calliope back in Walt's day.  If they are going to restore it, they ought to go back to whatever Walt had on it.

It's weird that I am so attached to the calliope.  It's only been at the Fort for a few years. But, I think it's really cool.  It's well over 100 years old, and it is something that Walt Disney himself purchased.

If you like, here's a fairly decent blog article about the calliope.  Those are my photos the blogger used (with permission) :

http://land.allears.net/blogs/guestblog/2013/11/in_progress_the_dragon_calliop.html

It seems like this is a good place to stop.

From here, we will be heading past the blacksmith shop, and back toward Pioneer Hall.

Ever since they've finished the recent refurbishment on the porch, I've been itching to see how it is to shimmy on the new poles.

I thought that today might be the day for that.

TCD

Thanks, Gwen.

We have dueling TR's going!

Since you were there for three weeks, and I was only there for a weekend, yours will be going much longer than this one.

TCD

I predict yours will be going on much longer than mine!

Now I'm off to read your next update.