The TCD Gang Jump Starts Christmas: An Early November Fort Trip Report

I told Marty there would be another update today, and here it is.

We left off with the Jolly old elf making his way down Main Street, while we headed up.

There was a mass exodus going the other way at the hub:

11514378_zpsaafd38ba.jpg

See you later, suckers, we're staying till the bitter end.

I am a fan of the Dream Lights.  Once they're finally lit, that is:

11514379_zps061183b4.jpg

The Partners statue.  Gotta love it:

11514380_zpsea32f317.jpg

If you remember way back to an earlier post about our visit to the Christmas party, we had skipped the character meet and greets earlier in Storybook Circus because of the lines.  We decided to head back there and see what it was like now.

They had Donald, Daisy, and Scrooge all meeting as a group near the entrance to Dumbo.  Because they were near the entrance to Storybook Circus, they were still drawing a pretty good line.  Forget that.

We walked back a bit further, and found Santa Goofy meeting with one family.  And we could meet him next.  And we did:

santagoofy_zps431d0fd8.png

Then it was getting to be near 11:30.

Only a half hour left.

We decided to pop in to Cosmic Ray's for some of the free cookies and hot cocoa.  I'm not sure if they had other varieties of cookies elsewhere, but all they had here were snickerdoodles.  They were OK, but I would rather have had some kind of Christmas cookie, or even chocolate chip.  The hot cocoa was good. 

Then, we decided to hit Space Mountain for our final ride.  If we timed it right, we might get two rides out of it.

There was no line at all.

We walked right in and directly to the load area without stopping.

That was sweet.

The girls all had Mickey Christmas ears on.  The plan for the ride photo was for Mrs. TCD an me to make our own ears.  Mrs. TCD forgot where the camera was.  LOL:

11514381_zpsbed60cc7.jpg

If we ran, there was a chance we could have made it back in the Space Mountain entrance for a second ride.

But after our Liberty Tree Tavern feast and the cookies and hot cocoa we had right before the ride, no one wanted to run.

It seemed like these moving mechanical palm trees outside of Space Mountain were in a new position, but I may be mistaken about that:

11514383_zps7f3fbc7a.jpg

That's the last photo I have from the party.

From here, we slowly made our way to the exit, and enjoyed a nice, empty walk down Main Street.

Since posting about the party, I have discovered some photos from the TCD girls on their various social media sites.

Here are some bonus photos from them.

This one was from the night we went to see the Osborne lights.  The twins and I all had matching shirts on (which is the same shirt I wore to the Christmas party two days later) :

dhspole_zps14f73d57.jpg

The Osborne lights:

olights_zps2783da4e.jpg

Another, better, version of a photo I posted earlier:

olights2_zps25c62361.jpg

This one is from the Christmas party.  If you see that candy cane, don't lick it. It has TCD twin cooties on it:

candycane_zps9b6ac5d6.jpg

Here's something I'll bet you don't know.

Have you heard that they're selling a special edition MVMCP magic band?  It's only available at the Christmas parties. Twin #2 wanted one. She got a 40% CM discount on it, so it wasn't tremendously expensive.  What they don't tell you is that it makes the MB scanners turn red and green and play a Christmas greeting from Mickey Mouse. That's pretty cool.  No wonder this cost over a billion dollars:

scanner_zps651d9dbd.jpg

This is a photo Twin #1 took of her big sister and Mrs. TCD on the Mine Train. That girl has a gift:

7dmt_zps5e665dd7.jpg

Here are the girls with the Pooh characters, taken on Twin #1's camera instead of the photopass photographer:

poohcharacters_zps7cef8a50.jpg

This is one of Twin #1's parade photos- of Chip and Dale:

cdchristmas_zps909bd371.jpg

And here's one of Ralph and Vanelope:

ralphandv_zps76384b28.jpg

A good Toy Soldiers shot:

toysoldiers_zpsbc719f1c.jpg

I didn't get a shot of this float from the end of the parade, but Twin #1 did.  Which got me to thinking,  I think sometimes this is at the beginning of the parade:

endofparade_zps25bbe665.jpg

Mrs. TCD had fun goofing around with the girls at the party. It was just like old times:

sillykiss_zps8a223915.jpg

This is a Santa Goofy shot taken on Twin #1's camera:

santagoofy2_zps7af5da2c.jpg

Me and Mrs. TCD in the snow on Main Street:

onmain_zps807dcbc7.jpg

And a nighttime group shot in front of the castle:

nightshot_zps70095433.jpg

Now, that's all I have from the Christmas party.

We really had a good time.

Next up, a busy Saturday morning at site 127.

TCD

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll sing Christmas carols cheaper than the $30 for a special band! Dominic the donkey is my specialty.

The TCD gang hasn't camped at the Fort since the 4th of July.   I can't tell you how hard it was to not go for Halloween this year.   But we couldn't.  We already had other plans.   The oldest TCD DD

It's Florida....it thaws quickly. 

This clown in the small car was annoying.  She looked for kids who were asleep in strollers along Main Street, and pulled up in front of them and laid on the horn:

11514362_zps20588824.jpg

We had a sleeping kid a few people down from us, and we were lucky that the clown stopped right in front of us to blast the horn.  I don't think anyone appreciated that.  Especially not the parents of the sleeping kid:

11514363_zps2c87b50b.jpg

Now that's just tacky.  I'm honestly surprised that she does that.

The clown in the car (who looks like a man to me) is either A) not a parent, or B just plain stupid.

Exactly.

olights_zps2783da4e.jpg

onmain_zps807dcbc7.jpg

nightshot_zps70095433.jpg

Those are awesome family pics.

I would guess that you're probably right about that.  The Elsa dress is very sparkly.

LOL at taking a swipe at the Troll.

It's fun when he comes out to play.

TCD

I had to take a swipe at the Troll since his rants made me nearly snort my Coke Zero all over my computer. (Seriously, love the rants.)

Great family pics.

MyMagic+ is totally worth it now that i know special magicbands will play a Christmas carol.

I am going to reverse course and take back everything.

Looking forward to more Fort pics!

One of these days I am going to be reading your TR and see that the wagons are back where they belong.

I think I bumped my head.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the thought process of most little girls who prefer Elsa dresses only goes as far as "she has the light blue sparkly dress."   Leave the personality analysis to the grownups, and Trolls.

I agree. She has a sparkly dress and brings on the sex appeal in "Let it Go." Sorry, but it's true.

That might be the best Troll Rant of all time.

I love the family pictures, the picture of the twins hugging you (just oozes how much they love you), and the picture of you and Mrs. TCD. ALL KEEPERS! 

Please remain calm. This thread is being hijacked by the Troll.

I have some Troll Rants to share.

1. The Toy Story Mania "ride" opened in 2008. Over the past six years, Mrs. Troll and I have been to DW dozens upon dozens of times but were never able to "ride" it because the standby line was always over two hours long and all the walk up fast passes for the entire day had been hogged up by 7AM. But thanks to the magic of the not-so-magical Magic Band, we were able to finally "ride" it. Let's be clear -- it is not a ride. It hardly even rates as an attraction. In fact, the queue qualifies as an attraction more than the actual "ride" does. The "ride" itself is a Wii-quality video game. A cheap shooting gallery video game. Very similar to ones on the Wii and the Super Nintendo from 1986. Why are people arranging vacation days around this atrocity?

2. WTF with the hightop tables on the porch? They don't even match. They look like crap purchased from the local Bass Pro shop. Since Day 1 of the Fort's opening, rocking chairs lined that porch. Now crappy bar tables that don't match and no one sits at. Fail.

3. The Mine Train ride. For real? I mean, for real? The Goofy Barnstormer rollercoaster that runs into a cave to show you one scene of faux animatronic dwarfs? Yes, faux. See, Disney is copying Universal in making these cheap, unconvincing "animatronics" where the faces are just computer monitors and the "face" is some cheesy animation running on a computer somewhere. High school kids could achieve the same effect. And the roller coaster sucks. Short, not thrilling in any way, cheap theming...fail. Take that Main Train and those hightop nonmatching bar tables and bury them in a landfill under cement, right next to the old ET cartridges.

4. Passholder discount con. "Sorry, sir, I know this is a Disney restaurant and all and that we advertise a discount to con you into buying season passes, but if you read the very, very fine print, it clearly states that the discount is only available in, oh, maybe three locations. And all those locations suck. Which is fitting, seeing that you, sir, are a sucker."

5. Inability to link passholder discount con to "magic" band. "Yes, sir, these Magic Bands contain RFID chips that allow us to track your movements anywhere on our property and then take unsolicited pictures and videos of you and email them to you to con you into buying them, but technological limitations prevent us from being able to record your passholder discount status on the band. Sorry. Would you like a free Duffy coloring book page on a stick?"

6. Himalaya treks. Who the hell would pay to do that?

OK, hijack over.

Oh, hi, Andrew.

You just about nailed it with that post.

Haven't read in a couple of days, so I think I missed the comment on the passholder discount that the troll was referring to however... I can say that we did get a 30% discount on a watercraft rental when we were at the Fort last month.  That was a nice surprise as I didn't know that Disney had a promotion going on.  ACTUALLY, our passes are about to expire and this last visit (last month) was the first time I even knew that they sometimes offered discounts to passholders.  Oh well  :rolleyes:

Love the pictures of the Christmas parade.  This is the one parade that we haven't seen, so it's fun looking at your pictures :)    You commented on Chip-n-Dale walking, instead of riding on a float.  Bummer for the people in back (as it may be tougher to see them), but I prefer the characters to be walking if you have a front row seat.  Just makes it more personable to me.  I don't know...when they're up high on a float, I feel more like a spectator; when they are walking and closer to me, I feel more apart of the actual experience.

As always.. love, love, LOVE the family pics!  To me, that's what Disney is all about  :heart: .    Very nice.

New update was great. Goodness your older daughter and wife look a like.

The Twins take really good photos with their phones.

Thanks.  Yes, our oldest has always looked like her mom.  Some of their baby photos look identical.

All of the girls are good photographers.  And Twin #1 had her good camera at the party too- some of those bonus photos were taken with it.

Those are awesome family pics.

Thanks, Leslie.

As you know, as our kids grow up, it gets harder and harder to get photos of the whole family together.

I had to take a swipe at the Troll since his rants made me nearly snort my Coke Zero all over my computer. (Seriously, love the rants.)

Me too.  I wish you would post more, Norm.

Love the Christmas Party pics! I would go if the price is what you paid, but won't go at the price that the rest of us regular folks have to pay....

Agreed.  We wouldn't have gone if we had to pay full price.  It's been a long time since we've been to a MVMCP because of that.  We all prefer the Halloween party, but we couldn't get a date that we could all go this year.  When the CM discount Christmas party dates were announced, we pounced on tickets for the first one.

I want to take the clowns car looping at the fort.

And, I'd love to see you do that.

I thought Clarabell used to bake cookies on a different float?

I looked at my photos, and she was on that float for the previous two years.  I'm not sure about before that.  I don't think she was in the parade at all this year.

Great family pics.

MyMagic+ is totally worth it now that i know special magicbands will play a Christmas carol.

I am going to reverse course and take back everything.

Looking forward to more Fort pics!

One of these days I am going to be reading your TR and see that the wagons are back where they belong.

I think I bumped my head.

LOL.  I was against the MB purchase, but Twin #2 got it at a 40% discount, and used "her" money.  You'll find out about the interesting concept of how your kids have their own money to spend on whatever they want in a few years.

There will be more Fort photos in the next update.

Yeah, you must have bumped your head.  I don't think those wagons are ever coming back.

I agree. She has a sparkly dress and brings on the sex appeal in "Let it Go." Sorry, but it's true.

I love the family pictures, the picture of the twins hugging you (just oozes how much they love you), and the picture of you and Mrs. TCD. ALL KEEPERS! 

Aw, thanks.

I'll sing Christmas carols cheaper than the $30 for a special band! Dominic the donkey is my specialty.

Dominic the Donkey.

I just heard that one last week for the first time.  I don't know where it came from, or why it's popular.  There aren't very many songs that I hear once and never want to hear again.  But, that was one.  No offense.

Still, I would gladly pay less than $30 to hear you sing it.  Too bad I didn't know about this when you were at the Fort.

Move along, nothing to see on this post.

Nice try.  Too bad DIT quoted you.

TCD

Dominic the donkey. I like your style.

Best song ever.

What the Fort? Are you two being serious?  That is not a even a marginally good song.  Plus, it doesn't make any sense.  Why would Santa need some donkey to help him get up the hills of Italy?  The freakin' reindeer can fly!

I would have loved to meet your hairy legs that are famous in your TR.

Um....wow.  ok.  moving along.

I included Becker's quote- which was in reference to The Troll.

Wow is right.

Who knew?

It didn't sound that creepy in my head lol. Now you have quoted me and I'm doomed.

Yes, you are.

I don't think Leslie (Mrs. Troll) is going to let you near the Troll now.

You just about nailed it with that post.

Yup, that was pure Troll Gold there.

I still want to know what the Himalaya Trek is though.

And don't forget the sun glare is so awful you can hardly see in the cottage.

True.  How did they not think of this detail?

Great last update!  Love the family photos.

Thank you, Gwen.

Haven't read in a couple of days, so I think I missed the comment on the passholder discount that the troll was referring to however... I can say that we did get a 30% discount on a watercraft rental when we were at the Fort last month.  That was a nice surprise as I didn't know that Disney had a promotion going on.  ACTUALLY, our passes are about to expire and this last visit (last month) was the first time I even knew that they sometimes offered discounts to passholders.  Oh well  :rolleyes:

Love the pictures of the Christmas parade.  This is the one parade that we haven't seen, so it's fun looking at your pictures :)    You commented on Chip-n-Dale walking, instead of riding on a float.  Bummer for the people in back (as it may be tougher to see them), but I prefer the characters to be walking if you have a front row seat.  Just makes it more personable to me.  I don't know...when they're up high on a float, I feel more like a spectator; when they are walking and closer to me, I feel more apart of the actual experience.

As always.. love, love, LOVE the family pics!  To me, that's what Disney is all about  :heart: .    Very nice.

Troll's point about the passholder discounts is that they are limited for resort reservations, and there are also lots of restrictions for the food and merchandise discounts.

You make a good point about the characters walking.  You're right- it's nice if you have an unobstructed view.  Otherwise, the floats help the elevate the characters so everyone can see them.

Glad you liked the family photos.  I agree- it is what Disney is all about.

TCD

My family loves Dominic the Donkey and sings the song multiple times throughout the Holiday Season.  

Unfortunately, the Holiday Season doesn't start until after the next birthday in our house, which is 12/01/14.  

I will be putting up the wreath and playing Christmas carols quite loudly on 12/02/14!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok5rOO2v2dU

I went to youtube to get this video, and as soon as the first few notes played, the (almost) birthday boy yelled out, "Not yet!!"  :lol:

My family loves Dominic the Donkey and sings the song multiple times throughout the Holiday Season.  

Unfortunately, the Holiday Season doesn't start until after the next birthday in our house, which is 12/01/14.  

I will be putting up the wreath and playing Christmas carols quite loudly on 12/02/14!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok5rOO2v2dU

I went to youtube to get this video, and as soon as the first few notes played, the (almost) birthday boy yelled out, "Not yet!!"   :lol:

Wait.  I've seen that video before.

You're probably the one who posted it.

I must have blocked it out. 

Awful stuff.

TCD

Update time.

Friday night ended with a late boat ride back to the Fort, and us all crawling in to bed after enjoying a great time at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.  That was the first party of the year.  And we were there.  Two nights before, we were the first guests to see the new Frozen castle lighting ceremony, and then the Osborne Lights for the CM preview.  That's a lot of bragging rights for one trip.  And you'd think that would be enough.

But just you wait.  There was one more pretty cool thing we got to do, and it happened on Saturday, November 8, and you're going to hear about it in this update.

Saturday ended up being a weird day.  Mrs. TCD needed to get back home before noon so she could break Rocky out of dog jail.  And our oldest daughter needed a lift to the airport, as she was flying home on Saturday.  On top of that, Twin #1 had to go to work around 4-ish.  The twins had done pretty good trading around their work shifts so we could all do things together as a family on this trip.  Because she works in MK attractions, Twin #1 has less people available to trade shifts with, and she had an EMH shift to work on Saturday night. CM's hate those, and no way could she get anyone to take that shift for her.  So she had to go.  Twin #2 toyed with the idea of picking up a shift to work support for the half marathon that was going to be run late that night, but after looking at the weather reports, decided that she would hang out with me instead.

Mrs. TCD and I got up early and enjoyed some coffee at our quiet campsite.  We did a little looping on our own, and let the girls sleep. Then she needed to head out, and she did.  She said goodbye to the girls, and they got up shortly after that.  I made breakfast again, and we enjoyed a relaxed breakfast at the site.

While the girls hit the showers, I did some looping.  I caught Rick and Carol at their site.  They were breaking down camp, as they were going to be rolling out in the morning, and there was rain forecast for later today.  Smart move on their part- they got to pack up dry stuff.  I should have followed their lead.

After the girls were fixed up, we did some family looping.

This giant folding chair was sitting outside of a site on the 600 loop.  Not sure what the point of it was:

11514384_zpse20a7a2d.jpg

We spotted a tent set up behind a cabin on the 2300 loop, and went around that loop for a closer look.  Yup, that's a tent alright:

11514385_zps302b9a53.jpg

They had a party set up at the cabin next to that one:

11514386_zps9df4957d.jpg

That tent was still there the next morning.

So much for rules.

There were men working on the new cell phone tower that is poorly hidden behind the trees along Fort Wilderness Trail:

11514387_zpsa77e7be3.jpg

11514388_zps231f08c5.jpg

If you look through the trees in this photo, you can see that there's a guy in a hard hat there on the pole:

11514389_zps42ec8687.jpg

It was hard to see what was going on, but there was a guy in a lift behind the guy on the pole. They may have been putting fake branches on the pole:

11514390_zps75b7494a.jpg

11514392_zpsf6399bfe.jpg

All I know is that whatever they do, I'm always going to see that stupid cell phone tower ruining the wilderness, and I'm never going to like it.

At one point in the late morning/early afternoon, we popped in at the Settlement Trading post to look at the Fort gear they had there.  I posted a photo earlier from Friday showing that they were out of the new ceramic mugs in the Meadow Trading Post, and there were none here either:

11514393_zpsa22f664f.jpg

It was right after this that I had to leave to run the oldest TCD DD out to the airport. The twins took off on the golf cart to head up to the Outpost to catch a bus to Hollywood Studios.  They wanted to go to the Big Hero Six meet and greet and see if the new characters were out yet.  They had seen photos, so we knew they were meeting the day before, but there still had not been an official announcement that the meet and greet was open.

I made it out to and back from the airport without incident.  It's not a bad drive, but that killed a couple of hours.  The plan when I got back was for me to head to Hollywood Studios to meet up with the twins, but I got a text from them that they were going to be heading back soon, so I decided to stay at the Fort.

Our cart was up at the Outpost, so I had to head to the Settlement bus stop for a ride.  I got to see a CM taking some horses out for a practice ride on my way to the bus stop:

11514394_zps59ce7e3a.jpg

The bus was busy, which was weird to me.  The guy closest to the camera was with another guy across the aisle.  They had their suitcases on the bus.  I'm not sure what they were up to:

11514396_zpsa86c7d11.jpg

I found our cart, and was heading out for some looping until the girls let me know they needed to be picked up.  Look at the big group that was waiting at the Outpost to get a ride:

11514397_zpsd2e1b59a.jpg

It was 3:22 pm when I took that photo.  The only thing I can think of is that those folks were heading down to Pioneer Hall for the early Hoop Dee Doo Revue seating.

I heard from the girls not long after, and we all headed back to the site.

It was in this time frame that I met up with Jason and Beckers, as well as Beckers parents, John and Jane.  And the Beckers kids.  They were on the 200 loop.  I stopped by at the perfect time to run Jason up front to retrieve some luggage that the Magical Express folks were dragging their feet delivering.

Then Twin #1 had to head to work.  She was going to take the boat to work, and we would pick her up later, but time got tight, and she ended up driving.

The weather forecast was looking bad, so I spent some time taking down the inflatables and packed up some other stuff like the hammocks that would end up getting wet.  I hate having to unpack and dry stuff out at home, so I dodged that bullet with a lot of our gear.

Twin #2 and I then departed to Epcot.  This was the final weekend of the Food and Wine Festival, so we were expecting a busy night.

We started at Canada because someone (who shall remain nameless) told me that I had to try the salmon.  Look at the line I had to wait in just to get that smelly piece of fish:

11514398_zpse7ea6099.jpg

I finally got to order, and then when I went to pick up my salmon, they didn't have any ready, so I had to wait:

11514401_zpsdb027431.jpg

Fail.

After a couple of minutes, they handed me my fish.  I took a bite, and it was room temperature.  Not even a little bit warm.  How did they do that?

So, the fish was not a winner for me.  Maybe if it was served hot, or even warm, I would have liked it.

We moved on. 

Twin #2 thought about getting the salted caramel Crème Brule from France, but that line was long, and she decided she would rather wait for something at the MK later.

We next stopped at Poland. We hadn't visited this booth during any of our previous Food and Wine visits, and I was intrigued by something called a sauerkraut pierogi:

11514402_zps05844771.jpg

This is what I got:

11514404_zps00906356.jpg

There was a sauerkraut pierogi under all of that stuff (which they said was roast pork).  But, I'm not a fan.

We continued around the World Showcase, and I got a Grapefruit Beer from Germany.

We made a final stop at Australia, and tried a dessert they had there.

Then it was time to report to the VIP viewing area for Illuminations.

An anonymous benefactor had arranged for the TCD gang to be on the VIP list for Illuminations that evening.

We reported to our location, which overlooked an area where peons were assembled.  I took a photo of this peon because he was having a smoke right out there in the open in a non-smoking area, and blowing his smoke right into the VIP area:

11514409_zps5dd1649d.jpg

The nerve.

The view from the VIP area wasn't too bad:

11514416_zpsdfe94a69.jpg

11514419_zps7ea4ba2b.jpg

illum_zps354f7bae.jpg

But, the best part of the VIP viewing area was not being crammed in with a bunch of people to watch the show.

Illuminations was at 9, which is also when Epcot closed.

Our plan was to hop to the MK and visit with Twin #1. It was EMH's there tonight, and the park was open late, so we weren't in a particular rush.  We just headed out with the mob, and headed to the TTC monorail.  We didn't make it onto the first one, as it was packed, but we made it on to the second one.  Our car was packed full, but we made it.

When we got to the MK, we transferred to the MK monorail.  There were people on it talking about how they hoped they would make it in time for Wishes, which would be at 10 pm.

We made it in to the MK, and got to watch Wishes:

wishes_zpsb2824f56.jpg

We hadn't planned to do this, but with no special effort on our part, we got to see Illuminations and Wishes on the same night!

That was something that we've talked about doing before, but I wasn't sure how easy that would be to accomplish, so we've never tried.  But, here we did it without even trying.

Now, I want to try a Fantasmic/Illuminations/Wishes night.

It can be done.

We found Twin #1 and visited with her.

And it started to rain.

Cold rain.

And it was coming down.

Twin #2 wanted a Dole Whip, so we got one.

Then she wanted to leave.

I protested. That cold rain was going to make people leave, and we would have the park to ourselves.  Yeah, Twin #2 pointed out, in the cold rain.

We reached a compromise.  I wanted to ride the Jingle Cruise, and then we could go.

So we did:

11514424_zpsdc6baf6c.jpg

11514431_zpse0c22dce.jpg

I was in a bad spot to take photos, plus it was raining, but they have more decorations on the Jingle Cruise this year. There are decorations out in the ride course itself, not just in the loading area.  Here are some packages that were in the hippo area:

11514433_zps1474f80b.jpg

And Trader Sam is now Trader Samta:

11514436_zpsc07c0e2a.jpg

It started raining harder when we were on the Jingle Cruise.

Time to go.

Rain on the window on our boat ride back to the Fort:

11514437_zps03058bb7.jpg

It was cold and rainy, but I cranked the heat in the camper, and we were warm and toasty.  We got back in time to watch the end of the Alabama v. LSU game. We were happy that it looked like Alabama was going to lose, but then the refs did what they were paid to do, and handed an OT victory to Bama.  Dang.

Twin #1 wasn't going to make it back from work until sometime after 2, and I tried to stay up and wait for her.  But, she woke me up when she came in.  She said the MK EMH was DEAD.  There was an entire hour that went by when not one guest rode the Magic Carpets.  I'm still glad that we left, though.

It rained all night.

And it was still raining the next morning when I woke up.

Which is too bad, because now I had to go on my mission in a poncho.

TCD