Haven't posted in forever...but need advice...

It's been quite a bit since I last visited over here! 

We sold our RV and truck (tow vehicle) last January because we weren't camping much at all due to the kid's sports schedules. 

Well...to say we miss it very much is an understatement! We spent our vacation last summer at WL and just wasn't happy at all. We missed FW! 

So, we are coming down on Dec. 6-13th and at first we were going to tent camp the entire time and then decided we'd rent an RV. Only problem is the RV isn't available the first day we arrive (and I don't want to change my reservations and arrive a day later!)

We are considering tent camping that first night. Are we crazy? Temps seem to be around 55 degrees from what I can tell with the extended weather forecast. (We're from Ohio and have been having snow and freezing temps so 55 will seem like a heatwave! lol)

What do all of you (and the locals) think? Will we be too cold? 

It depends. We do the pop up in these temps but we use the heaters and blankets and heated mattress pads. Is it safe to use a plug in heater and blankets etc in a tent? if so, then its kinda the same as a pop up. I have seen people doing it. That being said, if you happen to add rain, things could get uncomfortable. I'd prob stay in a resort or a cabin that first night :).

Bummer on the camper/truck...hopefully you'll get the chance to purchase again soon. As for the trip in a couple of weeks and tenting it for one night...sounds good to me! Another option is maybe a different camper rental company? Have you had a chance to call around?

I'm too cheap to do one night in a cabin or resort! lol (and all the cabins are book then, too). This was a last minute trip since my husband has to be there for a conference so I just started planning it about 2 weeks ago. 

We were thinking electric blankets and a heater. We've only tent camped one other time and have always had the RV to fall back on. 

(Looks like we need to go RV shopping again!)

Oh..on the temps, I would say that it depends on the age of your kiddos. If they are old enough to layer and then trust that they'll stay covered up, then I wouldn't hassle with a space heater....but an electric blanket might be a nice touch if you're using a mattress and covers vs a sleeping bag.

We often camp in PA in late March and early April without electricity. 50-degree days are fairly average. It's a yearly trip that started with my dad and me when I was little. Now that my sister's son and my daughter over 6, they've started going with us. It comes down to layers and enough extra clothes to deal with the inevitable (and seemingly constant) wet kids.

If you are using air mattresses, I would suggest an electric mattress pad underneath you to separate the cold air in the air mattress

Really good advice. Heated mattress pads have saved us at our camp in Maine (which isn't heated when we're not there so the mattresses are super cold our first night) and also saved us several times in our hybrid when we camped in below freezing temps.

Well I was going to say it would be too much trouble for me just for one night.  I would just get a room somewhere even off site. But after rereading the OP If you already have the campsite anyway then yes I would tent camp the first night.   You guys are from Ohio so if you think Florida is cold anytime I would LOL and demand they revoke your Yankee card.   

The weather in FL has been so unpredictable lately. Last Sunday it was 83 and then tue the high was 55 with a low of 35. Today it's 79 and Wed it does high 60 with a low of 45. Lots of blankets and throw in a little spooning (not with the kids of course) and you should be fine

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help! 

I just don't want to look lonely out there at the Fort in my tent. lol I'm sure we won't be the only ones there with a tent but you never know. 

Since it's a last minute thing, there are no discounts on resort rooms for us at WDW and I refuse to stay at an offsite hotel. (heard too many bad things)

(In fact, until last summer, I hadn't stayed in any hotel for 13 years...we always took our RV everywhere). 

I'll grab the electric blankets, a heater, fuzzy socks and we'll be fine then!