The BuckeyeFortFamily went on The Dream and all you get is this lousy trip report

I look forward to reading more.   In a month we'll be going on our second Disney cruise so this will get me even more excited than I already am.   I'll be following the boy in the hoodie especially. He looks like he knows how to have a good time.  I love the picture of all 4 on the beach. You can tell they really would like to be in that water if only the weather had cooperated. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone does.  I am that cool.

Woo Hoo!!!!   Love cruise trip reports!!!

Oh, and it would appear I am first.  I rock.  

Good to have you along Dave....but being first to reply on a TR may not be perceived as "rocking".

Yeah!! A cruise report!!!

Welcome to you.

can't wait to see the rest of the pictures and hear about your time.

Another update will come after work tonight.

Nice job so far. I'm so glad you're writing this one!

If you want something done right,,,,,

I'm in! Can't wait to read more!

How was the Hilton for an overnight? 

The Hilton was pretty nice.  I would stay there again but as always we had to get 2 rooms due to having 6 people.

I'm in.

A cruise to castaway cay twice. Awesome.

I can't wait to read more.

Btw. That's the same hilton we stayed at when we did our Disney cruise.

We have one of those Hilton rewards cards so that is why we went with the Hilton, but it was nice.

Dave and Ray are showing some restraint. Rare. 

See below.

I'm in also, great pictures so far!!!!

Thank you.  They get way better.

Can't wait to read more!

Another update due this evening, promise.

I'm in!  Excited to read a cruise TR!

Thank you for joining!

Looking forward to reading along. I would love to go on a Disney cruise someday!

Do.  Sell a kidney.  That is what I did.

Oh boy, another cruise report! :thumbsup1: 

Yeah!

I'm in... page one??

Yep! :)

Nice!

I'm in!!

Welcome.

Last page one spot up for grabs!!!!

Way to take that last spot Mr. Restraint.

Page 2 bragging rights!

Page 2 baby!

Oh please! This is the easy trip report to write.

I had to write about 2 weeks AND a major Holiday in my previous trip reports (Christmas and Easter).

Let's see how BFF does with this simple Double Dip trip report.

I'll just be snarky when I can.

Bring  it.

I'm in.  Can't wait for more. Well, I guess I have to but I don't want to.

Soon, my friend.  Soon.

I'm in.

Bring it on.

I can't wait to hear how you liked DCL.

The youngest Buckeye is very good in the face making department.  I give this one an A+:

TCD

I don't know about that kid.  He can be smiling like an angel.  Raise the camera.  Click.  Goofy face on the display.  I don't know where he gets it.  His Mama, I guess.

I'm in!

Have a seat!  Make yourself comfortable.

I look forward to reading more.   In a month we'll be going on our second Disney cruise so this will get me even more excited than I already am.   I'll be following the boy in the hoodie especially. He looks like he knows how to have a good time.  I love the picture of all 4 on the beach. You can tell they really would like to be in that water if only the weather had cooperated. 

My wife would respond with the term "If you give a mouse a cookie."  In this instance, if you show your kids the beach, they will want to walk on it.  If you let them walk on it, they will want to take their shoes off.  If you let them take their shoes off, they will want to walk into the water.  If you let them walk into the water, they will fall in up to their necks.  They did not fall into it up to their necks this day, but that has happened in the past and they did walk in the water this day.

I spent my Saturday clearing out a blocked black tank.  Being first on your TR was the highlight of my weekend.  So yes, I am rocking it out and nothing you say can stop me.   

Ewwwwww.  'O'hana'?

When I left you we were about to head into the DCL terminal. Before I go on it occurred to me that I should let you know this is our first cruise. When things were moving quickly we did not always get the photos I wish we would have, but herding 4 kids and luggage and remembering room keys and everything else kept us occupied much of the time, so when pictures are scarce it means we were on the move! Now, back to our previously schedule trip report!

Christmas decorations have been put up in the terminal. Ours was supposedly the first cruise of the “Very Merrytime Cruise” season.

IMG_2015.jpg

Waiting in line, first to check in and get our room key…..

IMG_2016.jpg

then to check the kids in for the on board kids clubs.

IMG_2017.jpg

We were given a boarding position of #15, and once they started boarding we only waited 30 minutes or so until our number was called. Some shots going through the terminal and up the gang plank.

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

Here we wait to be announced coming onto the ship. I have read a lot of people who really liked this, but I felt it was kind of lame. No one on the boat knows us, we are not celebrities. Just let me get to lunch.

IMG_2026.jpg

First we went to deck 5 to get tickets for a character meet-and-greet later in the week. A shot of the Mid Ship Lobby from deck 5.

IMG_2027.jpg

While BFM waited for the tickets, the kids and I headed to deck 11 aft for lunch at Cabanas. So did everyone else. We weren’t able to get close to the mid ship elevators due to the crowds so we took the stairs up the 6 decks. Here we are after finally snagging a table…..actually 2 tables…..near the port side windows.

IMG_2028.jpg

A view out the window. This is the port side, facing forward. We didn’t see much of that blue sky today.

IMG_2029.jpg

For those of you who might be unfamiliar with the cruise ships, Cabanas is the main casual eatery on the ship. On the Dream it is on deck 11, at the back or aft, and it is a loosely divided into 5 or 6 sections circling the back of the ship in a big U, each section having its own buffet, but all the sections serve the same food. There are not many options for lunch, especially on embarkation day, so most people eat there after boarding.

The food for lunch was very good this day. I specifically remember eating quite a few lamb chops as they were the best I have ever had, and a couple of sirloin steaks because, hey……all you can eat steak.

After lunch we basically headed to our staterooms, as it was now 1:30 and although we had been given keys at check in, the stateroom halls had been blocked until 1:30 when guests are allowed to go to their rooms. Luggage doesn’t show up for another couple hours.

I gave the kids the camera and instructed them to take some nice pictures of the staterooms. Here is the result.

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

Sorry for those shots. I wish I would have gotten some better ones. I will tell you this. I was extremely impressed with the quality, engineering and condition of these rooms. The amount of storage was amazing. The furniture was beautiful. I want the shower for my house. The Dream has split bathrooms throughout which is really convenient, especially for a large family like ours.

I believe we have reached a photo limit so stay tuned for more updates!

At this point we went to take a guided tour of the ship. The tour began on deck 3 forward, where all the stores are, took us aft through the main lobby and back to The Animators Palate, one of the restaurants on the ship. We then went up 1 deck to the adult section of deck 4 and forward past The D-Lounge, which is a multi-purpose space, and ended at the balcony entrances to The Walt Disney Theater, which is the large theater where the main evening shows are produced. All inclusive the tour was not, but we got a good idea of the main points.

Next it was time for the life boat drill. Again for those who have not been on a cruise, this is a mandatory drill. You are supposed to wait in your room (we were putting our luggage away while we waited as it had since arrived) and when the alarm sounds you are to go to your assigned area on deck 4, under the lifeboats you can see on the outside of the ship. Once there you line up by room, tallest in the back, and they scan your room key to document that you have participated. This took about 30 minutes. When we were released we went back to the room and got dressed for the evening. At this point the ship left the dock and headed out to sea.

It was then that God promised us a good cruise.

IMG_2081.jpg

Since we had second seating for dinner, at around 5:30 we headed for the theater to see the first night’s show, “The Golden Mickeys”. Photography is not allowed in the theater, which is a shame because our younger daughter (BFD9) was chosen to play one of the seven dwarves and got to go on the stage with Snow White during the show. Very cute.

After the show we went to the mid-ship lobby where the tree lighting ceremony was being held. Here are Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Pluto counting down to the lighting.

IMG_2084.jpg

We had some time until dinner so we stopped by a dance party in the Evolution lounge.

IMG_2089.jpg

Dinner our first evening was at The Animators Palate. When DCL first opened I remembering seeing a documentary about this restaurant and the amazing technology they used to transform the decor from black and white to color while you ate, even going so far as to have the servers change shirts during the meal to complete the transformation. That must not be the case anymore, because the décor now is a mix of animator’s supplies and “Turtle Talk with Crush” at EPCOT. I never noticed any color changes but Crush comes around to different screens in the room and harasses guests for eating fish.

Our youngest with the main server. The assistant server made him and the others an origami bird.

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

After dinner the kids wanted to check out the kids areas, so we dropped them there. And what did we do? I went back to the room and lay on my bed with a full belly. After an hour or so of digestion we went to pick up the kids, who had a great time in the kids clubs, and headed back to the room for bed. Tomorrow we dock on Castaway Cay, and we had gotten up pretty early today and wanted to be up early tomorrow to see the sunrise.

I will take another break here and start the next installment bright and early on Castaway Cay Day #1!

Dinner our first evening was at The Animators Palate. When DCL first opened I remembering seeing a documentary about this restaurant and the amazing technology they used to transform the decor from black and white to color while you ate, even going so far as to have the servers change shirts during the meal to complete the transformation. That must not be the case anymore, because the décor now is a mix of animator’s supplies and “Turtle Talk with Crush” at EPCOT. I never noticed any color changes but Crush comes around to different screens in the room and harasses guests for eating fish.

That was a feature on the original ships the Magic and the Wonder. I believe since the refurb it no longer happens on the Magic but the Wonder still ahs that. 

Our youngest with the main server.

IMG_2095.jpg

I think now would be a great time to mention that I don't think we have had a dinner in the past week and half since leaving the ship that hasn't included a discussion on how much we miss Clayton! Especially this little BuckeyeFortKid

Oh gosh.. I have to admit, my heart started to beat fast just looking at the pictures of the ship and you boarding.  I am that afraid of the idea of a cruise.  Made me a little nauseous however... here I am, still excited to read about your adventure :)  I have to admit, I am super excited to hear about your time on Disney's island... that is the ONE thing that makes me consider a Disney cruise.  Well, that and my husband really wants to go on one plus, I think they'll give you all the Mickey bars you can eat?? :)

That was a feature on the original ships the Magic and the Wonder. I believe since the refurb it no longer happens on the Magic but the Wonder still ahs that.

Ahhh.  Thanks for the info.  I knew I had seen that somewhere.  The program focused so much on that capability of the room that it seems surprising they would do away with it.

Oh gosh.. I have to admit, my heart started to beat fast just looking at the pictures of the ship and you boarding.  I am that afraid of the idea of a cruise.  Made me a little nauseous however... here I am, still excited to read about your adventure :)  I have to admit, I am super excited to hear about your time on Disney's island... that is the ONE thing that makes me consider a Disney cruise.  Well, that and my husband really wants to go on one plus, I think they'll give you all the Mickey bars you can eat?? :)

Then you are exactly like my wife.  Like I said she had no interest in taking a cruise.....ever, and she loved it, so don't let that stop you if you can go.  And funny you should mention the Mickey bars.  Before we left, I pledged to run the ship out of them.  I LOVE Mickey bars (Mickey "Ears" if you are a troll) but you know how many I ate?  One.  One stinking bar.  And I would not have had that one had they not brought it for me the first night after I had dessert because my kids told them how much I loved them.  BFS4 had one every night.  For one thing, I was always too full after eating the delicious appetizers and soups and entrees to have room for dessert.  For another thing, they really do not make Mickey bars easy to obtain.  To my knowledge, which is not expansive by any means, you can get a Mickey bar in 2 places on the ship; for dessert at dinner in the sit down restaurants, and from room service, which requires you to be in your room (which you are not often in), make a phone call, wait for them to come and then tip the room service person, which is going to be 2 or 3 dollars even if you are a cheap skate.  It ended up being more trouble than a Mickey bar was worth.

Why did you have to get tickets for a character meet and greet?

Excellent question.  Characters meet at different times throughout the cruise, some of which were more convenient than others.  Tickets are the way DCL manages when people show up for meet and greets.  BFM was able to get a time for our third day, or our sea day, which was very much in demand.  I mean, who would want to give up time on Castaway Cay to meet a character?  So the ticket basically worked as a fast pass.  At our predetermined time we came to the meet and greet and were allowed into the roped off line.  There were some people standing in the stand by line, but I never saw any of them get into the actual line to see the character.  Guests with tickets just kept showing up.

Another update is ready so I am going to forge on ahead.

Most of us woke pretty early.  Our oldest son (BFS7) has a built in alarm that wakes him before the sun every day, and today was no different.  BFD11 was still asleep so BFM and BFS7 went up to deck 11 to see the sunrise and get some coffee.  Here he is waiting for the sun.

IMG_2117.jpg

BFM and he toured the top decks while they had them to themselves.  He refused to go into the adult only sections up on the bow (he’s a good boy) so BFM had to make do with seeing the sunrise from midship.  Here are some pics of their morning jaunt.

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

At this point I finally had to wake the sleepers so that we could get breakfast and be among the first off the boat onto Castaway Cay.  Speaking of the island, here are some approach shots from our veranda.

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

We’ve now come into dock and the ship has turned around so it is facing away from the island.  I know a lot of folks would ask “Why pay extra to have a veranda?  You never spend any time in your room anyway.”  I would respond to them with pictures like these. 

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

We headed up stairs to Cabanas again for breakfast.  The food was exactly like any breakfast buffet at WDW, down to the Mickey waffles.  It must have been hectic because we have no pictures from breakfast.  We pick up again on deck 1, waiting for them to open the door and let us onto the island.  Everybody is ready for the beach!

IMG_2138.jpg

That snowman from everyone’s favorite movie, doing what snowmen do in summer.

IMG_2140.jpg

We’ve boarded the tram to take us to the family beaches.  Our beautiful boat will wait for us to return.  Note the Christmas decorations hanging from the tram stop roof.

IMG_2143.jpg

Camera “on a stick” photobomb.

IMG_2147.jpg

The first day we went to the family beach further from the ship, as it was closer to the water slide, “Pelican Plunge”, but none of my kids wanted to ride it.

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

I think I am near the photo limit, so will cut this update here.  Thanks for coming along!

I spent my Saturday clearing out a blocked black tank.  Being first on your TR was the highlight of my weekend.  So yes, I am rocking it out and nothing you say can stop me.   

You really need to hear about this whole story... it's BAD. 

OK that makes me sad. I wanted to see that!

Bald Ridge... we're going to get you over this boat thing.... 

Why did you have to get tickets for a character meet and greet?

I was wondering the same. First I've heard of that. 

The sand and water look beautiful but man island... that little thing is a slim little island.  I think one good wave might take it out!  But still...very pretty.   And I hear what you're saying about the Mickey Bars... after paying so much to be on the ship, I would have a hard time tipping someone to bring ice cream to my room (especially when they feed you so much anyway!).

Bald Ridge... we're going to get you over this boat thing.... 

Two different fears here.  Bald Ridge, I would be okay on the boat if it's going slow.  I do not like it when a small boat is going fast and it makes that slapping sound, it puts a pit in my stomach.  Now ironically, I can listen to that from land and it doesn't bother me, but put me on the boat and terror.  It's horrible.  I fell out of a car when I was about 4 and my parents figure it has something to do with that.  The same if I'm in a car and someone is driving too fast... complete terror (but that one makes a little more sense to me).   I did rent one of those small 2 seaters from the marina at the Fort last month and took our daughter out; she loves going fast, so I went fast for her but... "fast" in those little boats isn't really "fast" ;)

Cruise ships... the idea of being on a boat where you cannot see land, terrifies me.  Plus throw in actually sleeping while floating in the dark where you (know) you cannot see land... mercy.  Truly nauseous thinking about it.  I grew up on an island in Washington State, so I've been on (large) ferries several times and those never bothered me but 1) I could see land and 2) I wasn't in a bed sleeping.

Yeah.. I'm much better on land :)

Your pictures are great. Amazing sunrise, totally worth waking up for. Ya know it almost makes me want to take a cruse but I get terrible motion sickness. Actually my entire family suffers from motion sickness and that is what keeps us off the water. Enjoying your trip however

Love the early morning pictures. I am a morning person so love getting up early and exploring while the rest of the world still seems to be asleep. It's so peaceful.

Looks like you had beautiful weather for your day at the beach. How warm was it and how was the water?

Wait a minute....you've been on the ship for about 18 hours at this point, and haven't ordered room service yet??  

:laugh:

We aren't really room service types.....we try not to stay in hotels if we can help it.  We did order room service 2 or 3 times thanks to you Dave.  Before bed we called for a pitcher of water and a carafe of coffee.  The kids would have water to drink before bed and in the morning, and we had nice hot coffee to drink on our veranda while we watched the sun come up.   

Your pictures are great. Amazing sunrise, totally worth waking up for. Ya know it almost makes me want to take a cruse but I get terrible motion sickness. Actually my entire family suffers from motion sickness and that is what keeps us off the water. Enjoying your trip however

We were worried about getting sea sick.  The rest of the family had sea bands that they wore the first day, and we all took a Dramamine before going to the show the first night.....not because we were feeling sick, but because we didn't want to get sick and miss the show or dinner.  The boat does rock a little bit the first night, but after you get away from Florida it smoothes out nicely, that or we got our sea legs.  Maybe both.  I did see quite a few people with scopolamine patches behind their ears but never saw anyone that looked like they were bothered by the movement of the boat.

Love the early morning pictures. I am a morning person so love getting up early and exploring while the rest of the world still seems to be asleep. It's so peaceful.

Looks like you had beautiful weather for your day at the beach. How warm was it and how was the water?

The air temperature while we were there was mid 70's, both high and low.  I don't know what the water temperature was, but I would compare it to an Ohio swimming pool in June......a little cold to get into, especially around waste height, but after you are in it is very refreshing. 

We aren't really room service types.....we try not to stay in hotels if we can help it.  We did order room service 2 or 3 times thanks to you Dave.  Before bed we called for a pitcher of water and a carafe of coffee.  The kids would have water to drink before bed and in the morning, and we had nice hot coffee to drink on our veranda while we watched the sun come up.   

Perfect!  

In reality....other than Mickey bars and cookies, that's about all we did.  

BFD-

You are killing it!  This report is awesome.  Good job.

I have a couple of questions for you:

1.  In your first post you said you booked two deluxe family ocean view cabins.  The photos show you got verandah cabins.  Did you actually book verandah cabins, or did you get an upgrade?

2.  I see some of the BFF gang wearing Magicbands.  Are they using Magicbands for something on the cruise?  If so, that's news to me.

And BFM-

This is such a sweet comment:

I think now would be a great time to mention that I don't think we have had a dinner in the past week and half since leaving the ship that hasn't included a discussion on how much we miss Clayton! Especially this little BuckeyeFortKid

That is so true about DCL.  The CM's on the ship are outstanding!

TCD