The BuckeyeFortFamily went on The Dream and all you get is this lousy trip report

I have wanted to do a Disney Cruise for years, but it never really seemed plausible. For one thing, there are 6 of us, and that means 2 staterooms, or a royal suite on the Magic or Wonder. Secondly, BuckeyeFortMama (BFM) had no interest in a cruise, or boats, or sun, or flying, or beaches. Third, we have a perfectly good fifth wheel taking up a lot of space in the garage, and it wasn’t logical to leave it sit while we went on a cruise. And all of these things continue to be true. However…..our annual fall Fort trip in early October had to be canceled due to my work. Well, one summer day BFM and I sat lamenting on how we had no trips planned to look forward to, as the looking forward to is one of my favorite parts of a trip, and I said “maybe we could do a cruise”. I have said this a hundred times, but this time my wife was sitting at the computer and pulled up the DCL site.

“Here is a cruise in November that is going to Castaway Cay twice” she says.

“Where else does it go?” I ask.

“Nowhere.”

“How much?”

-insert astronomical number here-

“Well that’s not bad!” I said, which was a lie.

To make a short story no longer than I already have, within 15 minutes we had booked 2 deluxe family ocean view staterooms aboard the Disney Dream for a 4 night “Double Dip” cruise for the 6 of us. We did not tell the kids at first, thinking we would surprise them right before we left, but about 5 weeks before sailing we decided it wasn’t right to withhold the joy of anticipation and planning so we let them in on the secret. They were super excited.

Fast forward 5 weeks. Our cruise sailed from Port Canaveral on Monday, so we flew from Canton to Orlando the day before, and hired a car service to take us from the airport to Coco Beach, where we stayed overnight at the Hilton.

Here are some traveling shots….

IMG_1970-1.jpg

The Tuscarawas River

IMG_1972.jpg

Canton-Akron Regional Airport

IMG_1975.jpg

Waiting for our flight – first one for all the kids

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

On the plane. Everyone did well.

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

We had hoped that by staying on the beach we would be able to enjoy it some that evening, but the weather did not cooperate, and it was rainy and a little cool that evening.

A shot from our room.

IMG_1995.jpg

We went to a restaurant close to the hotel for dinner, nothing special, and hit the hay early, as we knew we had a big day tomorrow!

We woke early on Monday. We decided to skip breakfast and wait to eat a big lunch on the boat. This left a little time to see the beach before the shuttle picked us up at 10:30. It was still cloudy, but the rain had stopped…..for now.

IMG_20141110_074659_898.jpg

The Hilton from the walk to the beach.

IMG_2002.jpg

At 10:30 we piled into a van with another family and headed to the port. The other family was apparently going on a Norwegian cruise and they were dropped off at their terminal first.

The Dream as we approached.

IMG_20141110_103410_737.jpg

Some shots headed into the terminal.

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

This seems a good place to break. Join us next time when we board The Dream!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone does.  I am that cool.

You should write a competing one.

Oh please! This is the easy trip report to write.

I had to write about 2 weeks AND a major Holiday in my previous trip reports (Christmas and Easter).

Let's see how BFF does with this simple Double Dip trip report.

I'll just be snarky when I can.