Made the journey down from New Hampshire. Left home with a foot of snow and no power. Got the call last night house was all set. Arrived here at 1 today. Site wasn't ready and went to overflow lot. Boy was that a cluster. Some one parked on the end with a fifth wheel in an awkward spot. I got my text my site was ready. So I went up the row and tried to get around him. He wasn't around to move it. So I went around the right squeeze I thought I cleared but caught the fence with the bumper and did a ton of damage! Oops!! After 20 years if owning campers I put my first scratch in one and it was a doozy. Oh well. I'm at the fort and we are looking forward to ten more days of fun. I'm in site 1317 if anyone is out cruising wants to stop by and say hello!

Eric

Made the journey down from New Hampshire. Left home with a foot of snow and no power. Got the call last night house was all set. Arrived here at 1 today. Site wasn't ready and went to overflow lot. Boy was that a cluster. Some one parked on the end with a fifth wheel in an awkward spot. I got my text my site was ready. So I went up the row and tried to get around him. He wasn't around to move it. So I went around the right squeeze I thought I cleared but caught the fence with the bumper and did a ton of damage! Oops!! After 20 years if owning campers I put my first scratch in one and it was a doozy. Oh well. I'm at the fort and we are looking forward to ten more days of fun. I'm in site 1317 if anyone is out cruising wants to stop by and say hello!

Eric

I'm glad you safely arrived, but man that stinks about the camper.  The Overflow lot is yet another of the many things that Fort management needs to address but likely won't as it doesn't make money for them.  They need a bigger lot!  And they need to better regulate who parks in it.  

I'm glad you safely arrived, but man that stinks about the camper.  The Overflow lot is yet another of the many things that Fort management needs to address but likely won't as it doesn't make money for them.  They need a bigger lot!  And they need to better regulate who parks in it.

They have been trying to control, who and how they park. Back office managers and other staff were out there many times during the Halloween rush. Unfortunately some people got there before they did and to quote one of the office managers, "It's a shame that some people have no consideration for others".

They have been trying to control, who and how they park. Back office managers and other staff were out there many times during the Halloween rush. Unfortunately some people got there before they did and to quote one of the office managers, "It's a shame that some people have no consideration for others".

Holy Hannah! Not only is overflow jammed, they are parking people driving in for HDDR in the grass all down by the hitch /unhitch area. Flashing signs, cones, CMs with magic wands, the works! . They're even running a bus to the area from the Settlement... the marquis just says "parking"

I've never seen it like this this time of year.

Holy Hannah! Not only is overflow jammed, they are parking people driving in for HDDR in the grass all down by the hitch /unhitch area. Flashing signs, cones, CMs with magic wands, the works! . They're even running a bus to the area from the Settlement... the marquis just says "parking"

they did this for halloween AND the day after halloween this yr Mo, the lot was full as was the area behind the old kennel. Kathy's cuz Racheal cane over and they gave her paper instructing her to go over to the Riverside and there would be a bus there to bring her over. Needless to say the riverside people knew NOTHING about it or a bus. Two hours later security brought her over from the Riverside after she had a long talk with them. To put it mildly, it was a cluster.

they did this for halloween AND the day after halloween this yr Mo, the lot was full as was the area behind the old kennel. Kathy's cuz Racheal cane over and they gave her paper instructing her to go over to the Riverside and there would be a bus there to bring her over. Needless to say the riverside people knew NOTHING about it or a bus. Two hours later security brought her over from the Riverside after she had a long talk with them. To put it mildly, it was a cluster.

Yowsa!

It looks a bit more organized tonight. Maybe they learned their lesson Halloween.

The one thing that's a bit dicey is that the area they're parking people was under water 2 days ago. Could be a heck of a mess and hopefully no one gets stuck.

What I don't understand is....the Fort has not grown capacity-wise in many years.  And I never remember the Overflow lot being jammed beyond capacity routinely until the last year couple of years.  What changed?

My guess is more people taking advantage of the 10 people per site which means 2 or 3 cars per site.

What I don't understand is....the Fort has not grown capacity-wise in many years. And I never remember the Overflow lot being jammed beyond capacity routinely until the last year couple of years. What changed?

There are a LOT of utility trailers taking up a big chunk of overflow as well as a lot of wasted space from people parking willy nilly.

That can't be helping.

That what is was like for Halloween and the day after. Sunday they had campers parked all along the main road waiting for sites to open

Sorry to hear about your damages.  I'm arriving on Sunday.  Do you need anything to make repairs and get you home.  Duck Tape, Tools, let me know asap.  I'm leaving in the morning.

Thank you so much for the offer! I'm a technician so I have things stored in the camper for in case purposes like this.

I agree The overflow lot is the least of the problems the fort management cares about. Along with many other things, this needs to be looked at. People abuse that lot like everything else. People don't care either. I've seen huge fivers park paralle across 10 spots and know one is around. If they were smart, they would number the spots and not let it be a free for all