The Monorails Are Past Their Prime

Well, I've scrolled past this thread several times thinking - Ah, Lou has everyone brainwashed.  Disney just replaced the trains a few years ago.

I guess it's true, time does move faster as you get older.  According to the Monorail Society Disney replaced the original monorails at the 17 year mark (1971 - 1989).  The replacement monorails have now been in service for 25 years (1989 - 2014) ....  can that be true?

If you think about it, any transportation on a "closed" system will cause havoc when it breaks down.

At least Disney has a way (most of the time) to get a breakdown out of the way. 

In the real world, if a train breaks down blocking road crossings and the track, it can be hours before a suitable engine is located and routed to move the break down.

Are the monorails perfect, no, but I feel they have done a great job, and I couldn't imagine Disneyworld without them.

I'm just glad that our family was able to enjoy riding  with the engineer in the front car before they stopped allowing that.  I'm sad that my granddaughters won't be able to enjoy that experience.

The real problem ends up being the transportation backlog when it happens, and the subsequent scramble to get the buses and boats to pick up the slack.

And I'm sure it all boils down to $$$.

They don't want to fire up extra transportation if the monorail is going to get moving in 5 minutes.  But then the 5 minutes turns into 10, 20, 50 etc because they couldnt do a quick fix, and now they missed the sweet spot of getting the alternative transportation moving into place before a huge backup occured.

It's like a municipality planning for a snowstorm.  Do you bring your people in on OT before the storm hits and burn thru your budget, or wait until it hits and save $$, but then the roads may be so bad the plow drivers can't get in.

I'm sure Lou would be more up on their contingency plans.

And I'm sure it all boils down to $$$.

They don't want to fire up extra transportation if the monorail is going to get moving in 5 minutes.  But then the 5 minutes turns into 10, 20, 50 etc because they couldnt do a quick fix, and now they missed the sweet spot of getting the alternative transportation moving into place before a huge backup occured.

And depending on the day and time of day, a massive backup can occur in a matter of minutes.

I also have great memories of my family and I riding in the front with the driver. The view going around spaceship earth was the BEST! It usually meant having to wait a monorail or two to get up front but it was worth it...

My DD was lucky enough to ride up front before they quit allowing it. Too bad she doesn't remember it.

I also have great memories of my family and I riding in the front with the driver. The view going around spaceship earth was the BEST! It usually meant having to wait a monorail or two to get up front but it was worth it...

We were also lucky enough to ride up front & the kids loved it. Yes always worth the wait.

I'm just glad that our family was able to enjoy riding  with the engineer in the front car before they stopped allowing that.  I'm sad that my granddaughters won't be able to enjoy that experience.

If any of you make it out to DL you can still ride in the front out there. 

If any of you make it out to DL you can still ride in the front out there. 

I read that out loud to my wife and she got that gleam in her eye. I wouldn't be surprised if we see DL in 2016 or '17.

So if it's safe enough for DisneyLand, why not DisneyWorld?  Do they have better trained engineers out there? 

They dont have the switch track WDW has to get the Epcot Monorail back to the maintenance area. Theirs only go in one direction and they will not leave the station till the one in front at the other station has left. 

On this last trip our boys got into asking for the transportation cards.  This led to me telling the nine year old he (and his dad and I) had ridden up front in a monorail and why they don't allow it anymore.  So sad.  I understand it from a safety and liability issue, but after all the OSHA and upper level Disney safety guards where put into place after the accident it seems safer to me than standing near the front of a crowded WDW bus.   

I know we got a special monorail card for our son when we rode up there, but he was two at the time.....  what in the world did I do with it??? 

Bring back the resort guest only monorail. Almost missed last ohana reservation due to tired sweaty, rude and some stupid people packing the resort monorail just to get back to the TTC. If I were paying GF prices I would be pissed.

Since 1978, my first night at Fort Wilderness included chili at the campsite, a ride on the boat over to the Contemporary Resort and then...a ride on the monorail!!  I can't imagine a first night without this.  The look on my boys faces when they got to ride "up front" was priceless!!!  I can't imagine our first night back in November without it.