The Monorails Are Past Their Prime

Yes, they look cool.  And yes, they have nostalgic value.  But after our recent trip, it's clear to me that the monorails are no longer reliable transportation.  And because of the reliability issues with them, and the lack of dependable and timely alternatives, I don't think I'd want to stay at the GF or Poly.  The Contemporary at least is within walking distance of the MK.  But the alternatives at those resorts, a small launch and the buses, get completely backed up when the monorails are down.  

For example, one evening INC and I visited the Poly after our dinner at California Grill.  Our plan was to do a monorail tour of the Poly and GF, and then return to Cali Grill for the fireworks.  However, when we tried to leave the Poly, the monorail line was down because a train died on the beam.  They told us it would be a while as they needed to bring in the tractor to push the dead monorail out of the way, and that we could either walk to the GF or TTC, or take a boat to the MK. 

We walked to the GF, and I figured we'd catch the small boat to the MK and walk to the CR.  But because of the monorail issues, the line for the boat was so long we were told it would be 90 minutes before we got on a launch.  We bailed on that plan and hurried up to the bus depot, which also had huge lines.  But since the buses have so much more capacity than the launches, we were able to get on one that would take us to the MK.  From there we ran to the CR and made it up to CG with 5 minutes to spare before the fireworks.  

We also saw the monorails down on at least 2 other occasions during our stay.  

So, beware....if you stay at a monorail resort, be prepared for major transportation snafus in the event the monorails go down.  Allow plenty of extra time to get to your destination, and know your alternative transportation options before your visit begins.  Keep in mind, the best option typically seems to be the buses, but prepare for them to be packed to the gills with sweaty park goers (except buses from the GF....those people don't appear to sweat or smell).  

...be prepared for major transportation snafus in the event the monorails go down.  Allow plenty of extra time to get to your destination, and know your alternative transportation options before your visit begins.  Keep in mind, the best option typically seems to be the buses, but prepare for them to be packed to the gills with sweaty park goers

And there's the rub!  Because they're still relied upon as a regular source of transportation for the MK resorts, when they go down the burden on buses and boats it's significant. 

I know they can call in extra buses, but that doesn't mean that it'll happen quickly or easily or that it'll instantly alleviate the backlog.

And for those of us not staying at a MK resort but in the middle of a monorail lounge tour, figuring out how to get back to the Fort after a stop or 3 gets even more challenging.  8)

We always ride the monorails. To me it's an attraction. But your right. It's very unreliable. And it's weird. We went to Europe this summer. And the trains are so reliable and easy to use. The monorail isn't that differnet from a regular train. And it's not rocket science. So why can't Disney make it work?

Lou would say that's what is holding them together.

There in lies the problem.  Look at how much use they have gotten out of them and for how long without a major structural refurb inside and out.  I am surprised frankly that the things don't just fall apart on the rails.

And realistically, with all the concrete they are pouring at DTD for the "parking decks" (or parking garages as TCD calls them), they could have poured the rest of the line to the parks, and they could have upgraded all the trains.  Just MHO.

There in lies the problem.  Look at how much use they have gotten out of them and for how long without a major structural refurb inside and out.  I am surprised frankly that the things don't just fall apart on the rails.

And realistically, with all the concrete they are pouring at DTD for the "parking decks" (or parking garages as TCD calls them), they could have poured the rest of the line to the parks, and they could have upgraded all the trains.  Just MHO.

Good post.

The monorails are just one of MANY things neglected by the idiots in charge.  We need to look no further than the Fort to see how the goal of Disney management is to spend as little as possible on maintenance or improvements and just hope for the best.

Could they keep the monorails in tip top shape?  Of course.  But, they choose not to.  More profit for the shareholders and Bobby.  That's all that matters to the idiots in charge.

(and I'm not the only one who calls them parking garages) :)

TCD