First TR - a little Disney, a lot of fun, Christmas 2014

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Jim Gaffigan says, "Pigs are magical creatures. They eat apples and turn it into BACON." I think these people have the right idea- it's a pet AND a meal!

I'm fairly certain that this is my first Trip Report. This is hard for me- I take a lot of pictures and usually am VERY wordy.   The initial plan was that we would leave our house in Maryland and head

I Got All Teary Eyed With Your Daddy Daughter Dance Story. Sweet Cherished Moment.

I'm late (as usual) but I'm in. 
Glad you got the junk taken care of on the first day. Hopefully that got rid of all the bad omens and it was smooth sailing after that.

I'm glad you got to meet OC, I would love to see some of the stuff he has done. People with minds like his amaze me, especially when they have the skill and tools to implement. 

I'm late (as usual) but I'm in. 

Glad you got the junk taken care of on the first day. Hopefully that got rid of all the bad omens and it was smooth sailing after that.

I'm glad you got to meet OC, I would love to see some of the stuff he has done. People with minds like his amaze me, especially when they have the skill and tools to implement. 

Sadly we continued to have slide junk throughout the trip and eventually lost another antler.  :rolleyes:  But, such is life.

Great update!

You had a great night at the Fort- good idea to rent the golf cart for some late night looping.

Congrats to your daughter for being in the show.

TCD

Thanks! It was really almost a waste of money. I wanted to spend more time at the fort and the wife wanted to check out some of the resorts. We lost all of our looping time to that- but it was a nice splurge.

Great photos, looks like you got the same site at TT that you had over the summer. Glad you got to meet Old Coot he is great to learn from we always get to see him at the FROG rally.

Nah, entirely different but still a nice site. We backed up to the gate house in F8 this time up at the very "front"(?) of the park. I basically asked for something that was easy to park and had some room for the kids to run. They picked a good one for me.

Nah, entirely different but still a nice site. We backed up to the gate house in F8 this time up at the very "front"(?) of the park. I basically asked for something that was easy to park and had some room for the kids to run. They picked a good one for me.

Oh yea winter time at the Orlando TT getting a GOOD site is a lot different then in the summer. You know they complained to me about leaving my Kenworth by the rec center when I was there, I was told I could not park there and take up parking spaces that they needed the parking. I said I would move it in a day when I left. During the winter I can understand that but not in the summer.

I am in too!

Well of course your street is dark at night. You live in Columbia it would ruin the aesthetics to have too many well lit streets.

Good help is hard to find these days glad you were able to find one and a beautiful one at that to help you with your slide. Wow 10 years since her last radiation treatment. Glad to know she is doing so well.

I'm in! Great TR Congratulations on the 10 year anniversary! Praying for many more Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! She's doing amazingly- it's hard to believe that it has been 10 years.

I'm in! Congratulations to your daughter on being cancer-free and making it into the show! Happy Birthday to her!

Thanks and thanks and thanks!

10 years!

Thank God! Praying for 110 years more!

Like the bear at the lodge. I never heard that before.

Thanks for the kind words! I had never heard the bear thing before and in fact, didn't hear it this time. The first mate (or whatever he's called on the boat) had to repeat it to us.

Love that your daughter got picked for the show! Very cool.

She was EXTREMELY excited. She was a little sheepish at first putting her hand up but finally went whole hog with the arm raised and all but lifting out of her seat.

Enjoying your report! And a big congratulations that your daughter has been cancer free for 10 years. That is Awesome! My husband just hit the 7 year mark cancer free, love celebrating those milestones.

Thanks! Congrats on the 7 years. 10 years sort of snuck up on us but it's so awesome that it's here.

I am in too!

Well of course your street is dark at night. You live in Columbia it would ruin the aesthetics to have too many well lit streets.

Good help is hard to find these days glad you were able to find one and a beautiful one at that to help you with your slide. Wow 10 years since her last radiation treatment. Glad to know she is doing so well.

Ha! Yeah, it's a Columbia thing. The whole town is a little wonky, but it sure is pretty. And yes, my darling camper helper- she sure was able to cash in a lot of brownie points for me on that one!

10 years... I realized it the other day. 10 years ago yesterday was her very first "sick baby" visit. We went 13 months with nothing more than regular check-ups. 10 years ago tomorrow, we took her to the ER for the same issues; Momma knew something wasn't right. 10 years ago on Thursday, we'll have been told she had a brain tumor and they were prepping the O/R. Love her to pieces and she's such a beautiful reminder to keep my head where it belongs and my family together.

Oh yea winter time at the Orlando TT getting a GOOD site is a lot different then in the summer. You know they complained to me about leaving my Kenworth by the rec center when I was there, I was told I could not park there and take up parking spaces that they needed the parking. I said I would move it in a day when I left. During the winter I can understand that but not in the summer.

It's definitely interesting there. There were barely any cares around where you parked the Kenworth. In fact, it was where they told me to park my camper on my check-out day because they didn't want me to leave it on the site on my checkout day.

Praise God for the miracle of your babies!  So thankful that he touched your daughter and today she is healthy.  Praising him and praying that he continues to keep each of you safe and healthy.

The bear... yeah, it's still hard for me to see.  We too learned about it on our last trip.  When they announced it on the boat ride, it was early in our trip so each boat ride, we kept looking for it.  Honestly, it wasn't until tonight (and seeing the picture you found online) that I realized that we had in fact seen it before... just didn't realize what we were looking at. Haha :)

Ok, we left off with finished up our evening at the Hoop-Dee-Doo-Revue. As I mentioned, the Sabre warranty manager (Gary) kept helping me with my slide out issues. The plan was for a mobile RV tech from Leisure Time RV to come out to our camp site on Friday morning. Gary had a motor overnighted to them - we thought it was going to be as simple as just replacing the motor and all would be well. The RV tech arrived promptly at his scheduled time and we worked together to get the motor swapped out. My wife and I chuckled as he had to run home to get a ladder as these motors are at the top of the slides. He took it pretty well when he tried to leave before he was done and I gently nudged him to finish the job ("oh, that'll work itself after you run it in sand out a few more times") -- which to me says, "hey, I'll run it in and out a few times before I leave this customer". He did and the slide was working before he left or so it seemed. Unfortunately, no pictures from this morning- it was pretty shocking to see how easily the slide is able to be removed and pulled out entirely. 

After that, I worked for the remainder of the day. Nothing spectacular. No pictures because... why? :)

And now, tonight's plan was for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Our plan was to leave no later than 3pm. I'm fairly certain that my kids slept until after that- so much for plans. But, here they are looking dapper in their Disney outfits:

16231090821_6314edc678.jpg

16232948045_0f06cb59aa.jpg

I'm very elusive and difficult to photograph.

After a bit, we were on our way! Traffic through the gates wasn't terrible- not like we saw the day before.

16045443188_3d4172fb01.jpg

One thing that I always give Disney credit for is their handling of duallies. They instructed us to just pull across 2 spots for no fuss parking.

We could only make FP+ reservations for the cross-over between the time that the park was open for general admission until the party. We missed our FP for the Haunted Mansion, unfortunately. The park was pretty busy, so we wondered around a little and decided that food would be a good first stop. I don't recall where we ate or even really what- apparently it was edible and fulfilled our nutrition needs for the evening.

Once the park closed to regular guests, things got less hectic. So we stopped for It's A Small World:

16231091031_cf65ce27e0.jpg

I've never seen the clock open before:

16046841709_17916756b4.jpg

We also did Peter Pan and a few other rides. No pictures of those, unfortunately. We really didn't hit a whole lot- our 2 main goals for the evening were the MVMCP Parade and finding Jack Skellington dressed up as Sandy Claws. My wife knew he was back near Goofy's roller coaster, so we headed for that:

16047098337_3b8092962b.jpg

My wife and daughter sat in the front row, we sat just behind of them. From the moment the ride started to move (literally before we were around the corner), my son had both hands straight up in the air. Neither my wife nor daughter had theirs up. As we started down the first hill, he started squealing. He let out a non-stop squeal and kept his hands in the air until the ride came to a stop. By the end of it, my wife and I were in stitched in laughter. We rode again and I have video of the second time, but it wasn't quite as cute as the first. I'll get it uploaded when I've got WiFi for my phone.

After we were done on the ride, we spied Jack Skellington. I tried telling my wife that we didn't need to find him and that I was ok not seeing him and that we wouldn't wait in line. But I'll admit- I squee!'d like a dorky teen when we saw him. His interactions with groups was amazing. Witty, funny, so so good. We even got lucky that Mickey, Donald, and Daisy went walking by. They joked with Jack and Jack joked back. It was pretty cute to watch. (Yes, I completely donned my inner child.) The photographers took some great photos with my phone! I can't wait to actually see how my camera pictures turned out.

The whole family:

15610544714_c00643f12c.jpg

And then yes, I kicked them to the curb for a one-on-one picture:

16046841609_fe353fc548.jpg

We left there and went to get a spot for the parade. It happened to be right outside of some hall where the bears were having a party:

16232138342_666c73bb6b.jpg

And, for another backstory- back in the summer when we were in Downtown Disney, my then 10 year old daughter got bit by a bit of the pre-teen hormonal bug. She was moody, unpleasant and just didn't want to be there. I asked her to take a walk with me to figure out what was going on. Her Mom and Grandma went shopping and Grandpa took little brother. We talked a bit but didn't really come to any conclusion as to what was up. Just moody, we decided. We came across a DJ who had great audience interaction skills. We stood at the edge and watched- both her and my timidness taking ahold. Finally, the remembrance that I'll never see these people again- I busted out in dance with everyone else. She hid her face and peeked through her fingers. She was embarrassed but I caught a hint of a smile. The song stopped and the DJ told us what we would be doing next (dance styles, if I recall). The next one, I was able to get her to laugh a bit until I pulled her into the crowd with me to dance. By the 3rd one, she was dancing like a fool right along side of me! By the next song or two, her shoes were off. We danced until the very end, sweaty, needing a drink and feeling disgusting. We laughed SO HARD that whole evening. My wife had to call and find us, they actually finished shopping before we were done dancing!

Back to this bears party, as soon as daughter saw the dancing bears and heard the music, she grabbed my hand and pulled me in. It made my heart swell. She really had fun. But alas- we didn't catch a groove and soon went back outside.

My son waved at everyone he could:

16045441418_01758dd56c.jpg

We caught our first sights of Anna and Elsa:

16046840419_85dd186daa.jpg

And Olaf, of course:

16232946205_4727ee0bf5.jpg

The parade has been pretty well covered up until now. I didn't get a whole lot of phone pictures of it- again, hoping that I got some decent pics on my camera. But, here's the sign at the end:

16232137172_f05cfccebb.jpg

After this, we went wandering as it seems to be called. The fireworks started as we made a potty break. I don't have pictures of them, but if anyone has kids who are bothered by sudden loud noises, they make hunting earmuffs for kids. They were wonderful for my daughter. I wish we had bought them years ago. For me, I love a good boom:

16046841319_1dcc5696e9.jpg

16045571450_9d0bb4bb64.jpg

We were running out of evening. At this point, it was time to divide and conquer. My daughter loves space mountain but my son is too little to ride. I took her and we rode. Only 1 picture of that, because it made me laugh- one of their queue games crashed:

15613098793_a6abcb9c23.jpg

I've literally never stood in line for this ride to be able to play these games. It's one of our gotos in the last 30 minutes before the parks close so we always walk right on.

As we walked out, we made a quick detour since the Buzz Lightyear Ride was still open. We sent a selfie to Mom so she knew we'd be a little bit:

16232946905_592448726e.jpg

Walking back out, I got this shot of the castle:

16207051506_2453176a69.jpg

It was snowing on Main Street:

16045442318_cc2b1bf1fa.jpg

And reunited, we had the PP photographer take a few pictures with my phone:

15613098583_016e1cd3e3.jpg

16207052396_247a91e3f1.jpg

(The poor $15 balloon didn't make it into the truck!)

It was time to headout, we caught this picture:

16232137682_aa98c617b1.jpg

We took the Monorail to the TTC:

15610543894_be5deefbc9.jpg

Unfortunately, somewhere between Main St. and the Monorail and our truck we lost one of our beloved Ellies. Original Ellie, in fact. Ellie started as daughter's toy when she was little and was adopted by my son when he was little. We found a replacement for Ellie, but Momma is still sad about losing Ellie.

Up next will be a visit to SeaWorld, Miami, a pig, and eventually Key West for Christmas!

Awesome evening at the Christmas Party!!!

I love the story about your daughter and the grumpies.....

I remember a trip with my boys when they were 17ish. Ugh, that was a bummer of a trip. Nasty teenage attitudes

They both came with us again a couple of years ago (24 & 25), MUCH better trip. They were such nice young men. BUT they also enjoyed being kids again. Tons of fun :)

Awesome evening at the Christmas Party!!!

I love the story about your daughter and the grumpies.....

I remember a trip with my boys when they were 17ish. Ugh, that was a bummer of a trip. Nasty teenage attitudes

They both came with us again a couple of years ago (24 & 25), MUCH better trip. They were such nice young men. BUT they also enjoyed being kids again. Tons of fun :)

Fortunately she's not like this often yet. She has a face that looks like she's annoyed or perturbed or even just sad when she's at rest, there's a non-forum-friendly term for it :) I check with her often to make sure she's ok and usually she is. But that evening, she was in a mood. But, it turned out wonderfully!

Too cute.

Can't wait for Seaworld.

We enjoy it. We had season passes in 2014 to it and really made good use out of it.

What a great time at MVMCP!

Thanks! It was a fun night. Felt rushed and we didn't get to do nearly as much as we wanted (for instance- the Mine Train that you all keep posting about!). But, we're going back for a week in February and are getting our annual passes to come back in the summer; we decided not to stress it. The parade for my wife, Jack for me, Goofy's coaster for son, and Space Mountain for daughter were the "must do"s. Haunted Mansion was pretty high up there for the "want to do", so we were happy we got it. Everything else was a bonus.

I love love love the part about you and your daughter dancing! That's what Disney is all about. 

Great family pictures too!

You're doing a great job. Keep it coming! 

Thanks, Kelly! It is one of those moments that makes me happy when I'm down.

I Got All Teary Eyed With Your Daddy Daughter Dance Story. Sweet Cherished Moment.

Wanna know a secret? I was sitting at my work's office posting that last night and was thankful there was no one around to see me be all teary eyed, too!

I will be looking through old pictures and stumble across hospital pictures and it always takes my breath away for a moment. I am not sure that will ever change. Just super thankful her life was spared and we have been able to watch her grow and mature. Final surgery is in the beginning of March.