Pirates of the Caribbean Extensive Refurbishment 2015

ETA: RUMOR CONFIRMED 2/24/15

According to WDWMagic, there's a possibility that PoTC may close this summer until almost the end of the year, for an extensive refurbishment.  Just based on my limited experience alone, I can believe the reports that it's due to numerous show and ride system issues.  I've heard that there have also been issues with the boats, going all the way back to the refurb where they were replaced a while back.

No official word on any of this from Disney yet.  Stay tuned.

Here's the full article from WDWMagic...

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/pirates-of-the-caribbean/news/17jan2015-pirates-of-the-caribbean-expected-to-close-for-an-extensive-refurbishment-later-this-year.htm

I don't find this one hard to believe- Pirates breaks down a lot.  Twin #1 said Pirates CM's called October, 2014  Evactober because the ride broke down and had to be evacuated every single day in October.  That's not what you call "Good Show."

The long refurbishment is how they do things now.  They will save a half a year in labor costs by not having to pay CM's for that ride. I don't expect the long down time to translate into anything significant in terms of the refurbishment. 

TCD

I don't find this one hard to believe- Pirates breaks down a lot.  Twin #1 said Pirates CM's called October, 2014  Evactober because the ride broke down and had to be evacuated every single day in October.  That's not what you call "Good Show."

I've seen lots of stuff reportedly from CMs that Pirates is like a giant running joke because of how unreliable it's become.

• 2 weeks later...

Not completely discounting the rumor, but there's nothing on the horizon for this. The 2 major refurbs are mermaid will down February through March and liberty tree tavern from July to December.

A major refurb would be listed by now.

And Disney will not save on labor. Those CMs must be employed somewhere. Disney can't just not schedule them. Unions and all. Those lucky ones will get to stand out front and let guests know it's down. The others will be sent to other attractions they are trained in.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what exactly about it breaks down? It doesn't seem that complicated a ride. I mean not like a roller coaster. 

I think it has something to do with the new boats- they bottom out and get stuck along the course of the ride (Code WALL-E).  When that happens, the ride has to be shut down and everyone has to be evacuated, which is a major ordeal.  The problems seem to have escalated when they brought the new boats in.  For whatever reason, those boats ride lower in the water, and, in addition to getting stuck, guests in the front row will often be treated to a wave splashing across their laps on the drop.

TCD

Very true. 

I'm still not sure if we've ever seen the mermaids function properly. If we have, that's a really lame addition to the ride.

TCD

We did shortly after they added them, but since then it's usually one or the other, and even then it seems the full effect is never working (or the mermaids have gotten really short)

I don't think I've ever seen the mermaids in the water...must have never worked when I have been on the ride lately.

All I have ever seen is lights and bubbles moving around in the water in the scene where they added the mermaid skeleton.  I think those are supposed to be the mermaids- but they don't look like mermaids to me.  That's why I say I'm not sure if I've ever seen them- the moving lights and bubbles might be all there is to it.

TCD

• 2 weeks later...

All I have ever seen is lights and bubbles moving around in the water in the scene where they added the mermaid skeleton.  I think those are supposed to be the mermaids- but they don't look like mermaids to me.  That's why I say I'm not sure if I've ever seen them- the moving lights and bubbles might be all there is to it.

TCD

It's before that. Look to the left after the drop. 

TCD

I have seen the mermaids where you hear the singing. There is sometimes a tail like thing that move through the water where the bubbles and lights are. Oh and the skeleton in the boat before the drop was changed out for a mermaid skeleton at the same time. All of this is in the first area between the fog screen and the skeleton steering the ship.