If you are looking around Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg we really enjoy River Plantation.  Also Anchor Down is beautiful.  It is a little bit out of the mian area, but is much easier to get into and out of vs. Pigeon Forge Traffic.  Chattanooga also has a couple nice areas - Holiday Travel park in East Ridge TN and Chester Frost Park in Hixson, TN.  They are close to downtown which has many things for the family to do and Chester Frost is right on the lake.

River Plantation is nice - sometimes hard to get into (no light) and it is in the "thick" of Pigeon Forge

Anchor Down is nice - right on Douglas Lake (grew up camping on Douglas)

If you prefer a quieter area - Cosby side of Gatlinburg has several campgrounds that are nice.  We really like Jellystone Campground (Gatlinburg) - the Landry family has put in a lot of effort to make it great for folks with kids. They have "water wars" where kids ride on a trailer and squirt any adults within range a couple of times a year.  There are activities, movies, karaoke , and there is access to a fairly untraveled hiking trail in the Smokies right from the Campground. It is a bit small, but I've had my 42 footer there once since we got it. They help all park their rigs.  You can come in from Interstate 40 on the Newport side and avoid the horrendous Sevierville/Pigeon Forge traffic! 

http://www.greatsmokyjellystone.com 

We stayed at Two Rivers RV Landing RV Resort for an overnight stop on our way to Alabama. It was a nice place but felt like you were in an undeveloped business park. The location worked for us and it was perfectly level as they were fully paved spots. The bathhouses were immaculate and the nicest that I've seen. I think I'd stay here again.

http://www.tworiversrvresort.com/

Anyplace specific you are looking to visit?

In the PF\Gatliburg area we like River Plantation, we spend a LOT of time there.

In Townsend the KOA is nice but due to the size of our 5er we can't easily get in there. If we stay on that side we will head to Big Meadow Campground

North of Knoxville we stay at Cove Lake State Park, they have some larger sites in the back of the park and good access to Norris lake.

In the Crossville area we tend to stay at Deer Run RV Resort or Cumberland Mountain State park. They are at the same exit and less than 10 minutes off the interstate (I-40). Fall Creek Falls is also at that exit but it's about an hour drive off the interstate and my big complaint about them is cell service is spotty at best. Most of the time I don't mind that but with 2 kids I like to be able to make a call if needed.

Defeated Creek a little closer to middle TN is very nice, have been there once and enjoyed it.

Harrison Bay State Park near Chattanooga is nice, and undergoing some improvements right now that should make it nicer. The improvements should also help accommodate larger campers.

Indian Boundary State park is nice but is limited to electric only at the site. There are water spigots to fill up fresh water in the loops but you need a 100' or so of hose to do so from a site. 

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

We are thinking about a trip to the Tennessee Valley Railroad in Chattanooga later this year. Besides the State campgrounds mentioned are there any private campgrounds in the area that are recommended or not?

For a private campground it is hard to beat Holiday Trav-L-Park http://www.chattacamp.com/.  They have been rated about the highest in the area several times.

For a county campground we enjoy Chester Frost Park http://www.hamiltontn.gov/parkrec/RulesFees.aspx.  The only thing with Chester Frost is that they do not take reservations so weekends and especially holidays it can be hard to find a site.  If you come mid week it is easier. 

Harrison Bay is not too far from Chester Frost and they do take reservations, but I can tell you that I do not like it there.  Even with the improvements they have made it is about impossible to get into some of the sights (due to trees, narrow roads, grade of the road and all the other vehicles around) if you have a travel trailer.  I drove through their with my F-250 and no camper attached and almost could not get through several areas. 

Hope this helps.

Many of you know we are HUGE Gatlinburg/Piegon forge fans. If you like the peace and quietness of the smokies, smoky bear campgrounds is one of the best. The owners are awesome and the hospitality is bar none