Does it taste funny?  I've never used an RV stove and I guess the question might be silly as we use LP for our BBQ grill and that doesn't taste funny but, thought I'd ask.... does food taste differently when you use the stove in your RV? 

Edited to clarify:  OVEN, not stove top.

Nacole, if you have an electric range at home it will take a little getting used to.  Gas heats much faster and to me also is a little harder to adjust.  But it doesn't make the food taste any different.

Thanks Gwen.  We do have electric at home... I had a gas stove in a rental once, but that was about 18 years ago so it's been a while  ;)

If we can we use a electric griddle or flat surface device to cook when we can, cheaper then our gas and can cook outside so not to stink up the inside of the trailer.

That's why I try to do most of my cooking outside when we are camping.  No matter how good the food tasted, I do NOT like the smell of food after.  I have the same problem at home... it's not uncommon for me to open doors (even if it's freezing outside) just to get smells out.  That being said, not sure that I would use my stove...but was just curious about the taste, in case I decide to try it :)

Good thing about gas (wish I had it at home) is that it does heat quicker, but the best thing is it cools/stops cooking quicker.

Something starting to boil over or burn, just turn it down and it'll stop, instead of electric where you have to take the pot off the element.

No difference in taste.

I remember that from a gas stove I used years ago... 

I keep a Coleman stove in the storage area of our camper. I use it outdoors for things that have a strong odor or create a lot of grease/smoke such as bacon. The Coleman also comes in handy in he event we run out of gas on a trip and there isn't a place nearby to refill it. We primarily use the trailer stove for eggs, heat and serve sausage, grilled cheese or heating canned goods. We always open the ceiling fan and crack the window by the stove to help draw any odors out of the trailer.

Cooked at Christmas in the RV Oven. These were likely the best my wife's ever made:

16047089517_49bc2572db.jpg

Haha... kind-of hard to screw up carbs and sugar, but yes... those do look AMAZING!    Hmmm....  might not mind that smell in the camper :)    I think I'm a lazy camper though, we will have cinnamon rolls every once in a while, but I typically just buy the ones by Entemann's and heat those up in the microwave :rolleyes:  

The oven in our TT had a heavy metal plate built in right over the burner, so no need for a pizza stone.  I cooked all sorts of things in it and never had a problem.

But in the moho I still haven't mastered the microwave/convection combination oven.

No difference in taste. Though I have to say the first time I used the oven in the new trailer it did give off a not so nice odor for a good 10mins or so, nothing that opening windows and turning the fan on didnt solve. Since then it has been fine. I haven't usedit to cook anything really but to reheat manicotti, pizza, and one of those apple blossoms from port orleans.

No difference in taste. Though I have to say the first time I used the oven in the new trailer it did give off a not so nice odor for a good 10mins or so, nothing that opening windows and turning the fan on didnt solve. Since then it has been fine. I haven't usedit to cook anything really but to reheat manicotti, pizza, and one of those apple blossoms from port orleans.

That also can happen with furnaces the first time they're used. I've heard of the odor being so bad that it set off their smoke detector.

That's why I try to do most of my cooking outside when we are camping.  No matter how good the food tasted, I do NOT like the smell of food after.  I have the same problem at home... it's not uncommon for me to open doors (even if it's freezing outside) just to get smells out.  That being said, not sure that I would use my stove...but was just curious about the taste, in case I decide to try it :)

Nacole, you and my wife must be kindred spirits as she doesn't really like to inside the camper either.... Even at home she has me cook things like bacon or sausage outside so as "not to stink up the house"...

If you do decide to give that RV oven a try, I would suggest that you pick up an oven thermometer to help monitor the temperature. The temps stamped on the oven knob are not always the most accurate... And I too am in the camp of putting some type of "stone" inside the oven to help even out the hot spots...

Does anyone cook with a convection microwave? We have one in our Class A that I haven't used yet.

l

Yes. They're awful. Worst part of our RV.

And we love ours. Even swapped out the reg micro in the SENECA to a convection/micro. The SAMSUNG in the FW even works better.

The regular oven is where we store skillets. :rofl3:

Nacole, you and my wife must be kindred spirits as she doesn't really like to inside the camper either.... Even at home she has me cook things like bacon or sausage outside so as "not to stink up the house"...

If you do decide to give that RV oven a try, I would suggest that you pick up an oven thermometer to help monitor the temperature. The temps stamped on the oven knob are not always the most accurate... And I too am in the camp of putting some type of "stone" inside the oven to help even out the hot spots...

Haha... I'm almost that bad.  Good thing about bacon, is it's usually a morning food so the smell has a chance to go away... something about dinner smells really get to me anymore.  A strange "left over" from my second pregnancy.  I know have a strange nose ;)

Are you all joining us at the Fort for halloween?

No difference in taste as others have already noted. However, if you cook something for awhile, definitely heats up the living area. Another vote for outside crockpot cooking. :)

Heating up the camper... didn't think of that.  Thanks for the tip!

Haha... I'm almost that bad.  Good thing about bacon, is it's usually a morning food so the smell has a chance to go away... something about dinner smells really get to me anymore.  A strange "left over" from my second pregnancy.  I know have a strange nose ;)

Are you all joining us at the Fort for halloween?

Not sure about Halloween, but are shooting for the same time we met y'all last year, or the week after Halloween... Its still up in the air at this point...