1 year, cross country and back- it's Now or Never

Very interesting perspective.  Life is funny.  Things never turn out exactly the way we expect, do they?  I'm glad that you and your family are getting to reconnect with friends and family, and that you're making new friends too.

TCD

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about "Criss-Crossing the Nation in One Last Gasp to See it All Before Both Major Political Parties Ruin it!" See why I was holding back?

This is amazing. Good for you guys. Can't wait to hear about it.

That's a good answer, but the common link between Dolly and the Nebraska sand hills I was going for is "things that are not flat".

New blog post - a recap of our flat tire going from Illinois to Indiana. Longest story shortest- be prepared.

http://nowornever.learntorv.com/2015/10/being-prepared-roadside-tire-change.html

You don't have a Trailer Aid? http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-Tandem-Tire-Changing/dp/B000I4JPZE

One of the first things I purchased when I bought a dual axle trailer, hopefully I won't have to use it.

Best Regards,

Norm

New blog post - a recap of our flat tire going from Illinois to Indiana. Longest story shortest- be prepared.

http://nowornever.learntorv.com/2015/10/being-prepared-roadside-tire-change.html

You don't have a Trailer Aid? http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-Tandem-Tire-Changing/dp/B000I4JPZE

One of the first things I purchased when I bought a dual axle trailer, hopefully I won't have to use it.

Best Regards,

Norm

Surprisingly not. I always figured Lynx blocks would work and they almost did. My same issue with the blocks (other than setup time) is getting enough lift. With my "trail flex" suspension thingy- I get a good +5 inches of travel between the two axles. I think I've read that people sometimes need to put wood under the Trailer Aid to get enough lift.

Surprisingly not. I always figured Lynx blocks would work and they almost did. My same issue with the blocks (other than setup time) is getting enough lift. With my "trail flex" suspension thingy- I get a good +5 inches of travel between the two axles. I think I've read that people sometimes need to put wood under the Trailer Aid to get enough lift.

The trailer aid is a pretty good height, but you're right, with some of the "special" suspensions that they install on some of these trailers, you might need to put it up a little higher. I wonder how they would work on trailers with the wider gapped axles that some brands have/had?

Best Regards,

Norm

The trailer aid is a pretty good height, but you're right, with some of the "special" suspensions that they install on some of these trailers, you might need to put it up a little higher. I wonder how they would work on trailers with the wider gapped axles that some brands have/had?

Best Regards,

Norm

That's a good question. Possibly the same issue.

I can tell you from first hand experience, that the Level Up six point hydraulic leveling system and a cordless 1/2 inch impact will allow you to change a tire and be back on the road in under 15 minutes.

Jealous. I've actually priced out both a Bigfoot Leveling system and the Lippert system. $4,000 or so is a bit more than I can spend right now. But, my next camper will absolutely have a leveling system.

Great updates!  Crazy to think that if you only do this for a year (wasn't that the original plan? ;) ), that you're already 1/3 of the way done!

Yep, we are exactly 4 months in on our original 14-month plan. That had us ending in August 2014.

BUT... don't tell as we haven't told our families yet nor have we 1000% committed to it... I just made 2 weeks of reservations for next year's Albuquerque Balloon Festival in OCTOBER 2016.

Yep, we are exactly 4 months in on our original 14-month plan. That had us ending in August 2014.

BUT... don't tell as we haven't told our families yet nor have we 1000% committed to it... I just made 2 weeks of reservations for next year's Albuquerque Balloon Festival in OCTOBER 2016.

Ahhh... we want to do that festival one of these years.  It looks AMAZING....

The Albuquerque Balloon Festive is great. Rene and I were at it when we stopped in Albuquerque on our honeymoon.

Good job handling that situation.  Still stressful, but you weren't surprised by it, and were able to safely change the tire.  Do you know what caused that tire to fail?  It seems like you just replaced the tires.

TCD

Good job handling that situation.  Still stressful, but you weren't surprised by it, and were able to safely change the tire.  Do you know what caused that tire to fail?  It seems like you just replaced the tires.

TCD

I'm still catching up- this was from just before changing tires. It's actually what cemented my decision to spring for new wheels/rims and tires.

I think I had belt separation that I continued to drive on. It was "fine enough" until that pot hole. I had issues with that tire running hotter and at a higher PSI than the others, so I knew something was up.

So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with the new shoes on the camper.

I'm still catching up- this was from just before changing tires. It's actually what cemented my decision to spring for new wheels/rims and tires. I think I had belt separation that I continued to drive on. It was "fine enough" until that pot hole. I had issues with that tire running hotter and at a higher PSI than the others, so I knew something was up. So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with the new shoes on the camper.

Aha!  I should have paid attention to the dates.  I'm glad you got the new tires and wheels, and that they're working well.  That had to be a pretty big unplanned expense.

TCD

I'm still catching up- this was from just before changing tires. It's actually what cemented my decision to spring for new wheels/rims and tires. I think I had belt separation that I continued to drive on. It was "fine enough" until that pot hole. I had issues with that tire running hotter and at a higher PSI than the others, so I knew something was up. So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with the new shoes on the camper.

Aha!  I should have paid attention to the dates.  I'm glad you got the new tires and wheels, and that they're working well.  That had to be a pretty big unplanned expense.

TCD

Throw in new truck tires and leaf springs for the camper at the same time and I was debating a GoFundMe site!

Catching up to early August. Here's our week in Chicago recapped:

http://nowornever.learntorv.com/2015/10/the-windy-city-chicago-recap.html

I can add the Sears/Willis Tower to the St. Louis Arch as places you've described that I am glad you went and not me (elevators,heights, glass floors - shudder..). Actually my kids went in the Tower on a band trip to Chicago but I guess they didn't show me pictures of that glass floor. The reciprocal science museum pass is awesome. For several years we had one to our local science center that was pretty inexpensive and we used it at many places while traveling. For the ones with free admission (I know some are just reduced admission) it was great  to stop for a short while and burn off some travel energy while unknowingly learning something. Looking forward to reading about more of your adventures.

Catching up to early August. Here's our week in Chicago recapped:

http://nowornever.learntorv.com/2015/10/the-windy-city-chicago-recap.html

I can add the Sears/Willis Tower to the St. Louis Arch as places you've described that I am glad you went and not me (elevators,heights, glass floors - shudder..). Actually my kids went in the Tower on a band trip to Chicago but I guess they didn't show me pictures of that glass floor. The reciprocal science museum pass is awesome. For several years we had one to our local science center that was pretty inexpensive and we used it at many places while traveling. For the ones with free admission (I know some are just reduced admission) it was great  to stop for a short while and burn off some travel energy while unknowingly learning something. Looking forward to reading about more of your adventures.

I will admit- this one definitely took your breath away the first time. Pretty neat vantage point, though. I hear there is one at the Grand Canyon, too.

Throw in new truck tires and leaf springs for the camper at the same time and I was debating a GoFundMe site!

oh that had me spit out my coffee this morning...

Heh. You're welcome. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Finally updated again. I added an entry about getting to and staying just outside of St. Louis from the last week of August. This update is very picture heavy:

You actually stayed in East St. Louis? :wacko:  Did the campground have armed security? 

I notice that your picture of a covered wagon actually has a cover unlike the one at a well known attraction.