1 year, cross country and back- it's Now or Never

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about "Criss-Crossing the Nation in One Last Gasp to See it All Before Both Major Political Parties Ruin it!" See why I was holding back?

This is amazing. Good for you guys. Can't wait to hear about it.

That's a good answer, but the common link between Dolly and the Nebraska sand hills I was going for is "things that are not flat".

The view is awesome though!

Yeah, I just kept taking photos of it! Filtering them, I had to laugh- there's only so many ways to show the arch from the same distance and perspective. :)

Here was my last one from the night before heading on down the road (aka- Monday).

cd54e60fb81c7ae850e97398c5c5c63b.jpg

Great pictures on Flickr!  

There's just so many! I honestly do trim down a lot, but still end up with lots and lots and lots. Hopefully it gives insomniacs something to do. :)

Speaking of lots of pictures... I started my Branson album. We got here yesterday for a "NOT Back to School" rally with Roadschool Moms and Fulltime Families.

Only pictures of us getting here- funky little sub shop chain and the World's Largest Rocking Chair on Rt. 66.

https://flickr.com/photos/7200488@N08/sets/72157655757497414

7b6763d16831ac51e7465068e8e5fd6c.jpg

I was reading the blog and i wanted to point something out, you said you used the 4 way flashers while driving.

If you were in Florida that was illegal. I believe you were in Georgia but wanted to point it out.

I'am not here to beat anyone up over this, but educate, Anytime we get heavy rains in the forecast the news stations run the story to educate the public

see below for details.

drive safely 

In Florida, it is illegal to drive with your hazard lights. Hazards lights are for stopped vehicles only, officials say.

The one situation where Florida drivers are allowed to use their hazards when in motion is when the vehicle is being used in a funeral procession .  

A Florida Highway Patrol spokesperson told NewsChannel 5 that flashers are for emergency situations.

"First responders look for flashers to see if someone needs help," said an FHP spokesperson. 

Law enforcement officials say hazard lights can actually reduce visibility making other drivers think you are stopped or stalled.

Other drivers writing on social media say flashers make it difficult to see when a motorist is tapping the brakes or using a turn signal.  

The FHP spokesperson says if visibility is so bad that you cannot see, pull over in a parking lot, plaza or somewhere safe until conditions improve. 

Thanks swimmarz- I can see the logic behind the reasoning. My concern was that I ended up going such a low rate of speed that I also felt like a danger to myself and others (and thusly pulled over because of it). I am not sure which is the right answer short of pulling over sooner.

I understand your predicament, construction zone, bad weather, long trailer.

as long as you do what you feel is right i have no issues, like i said purely educational for those visiting Florida as my neighbor is a city cop, and the whole state of florida, FHP, city cops and sherrifs are cracking down on this per our weekly beer conversation 

Here are our pictures from here @ St. Louis. The Arch was the first thing that we did. :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougsetzer/albums/72157657959389616

I always wondered how one went up in the Arch although I knew there was no way I was going up that high. Now I know there's no way I'm going up that high in that enclosed pod. But I'm glad I got to see your photos of the view. Kudos to your wife if she is claustrophobic and did that. I guess that is what your adventure is about.

And I'm glad to see your kids did the Jr. Ranger thing. We did that with my boys at a number of National Parks when they were younger. It's a great way to keep kids interested and interact with the park.

Here are our pictures from here @ St. Louis. The Arch was the first thing that we did. :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougsetzer/albums/72157657959389616

I always wondered how one went up in the Arch although I knew there was no way I was going up that high. Now I know there's no way I'm going up that high in that enclosed pod. But I'm glad I got to see your photos of the view. Kudos to your wife if she is claustrophobic and did that. I guess that is what your adventure is about.

And I'm glad to see your kids did the Jr. Ranger thing. We did that with my boys at a number of National Parks when they were younger. It's a great way to keep kids interested and interact with the park.

It was neat. They had a little model that showed how the pod actually rotates to keep you upright on your journey up. I wish I'd taken a photo of that because it was great to visualize it.

I understand your predicament, construction zone, bad weather, long trailer.

as long as you do what you feel is right i have no issues, like i said purely educational for those visiting Florida as my neighbor is a city cop, and the whole state of florida, FHP, city cops and sherrifs are cracking down on this per our weekly beer conversation

It was good info. Appreciate that.

Hazard light laws by state

Curious whether your state allows you to drive with your hazard lights on? Check out these general rules (last updated on 8/19/13):http://blog.esurance.com/warning-you-may-be-using-your-hazard-lights-incorrectly/#.Vect_vQ8N_A

Correct, they do vary by State. I also can't imagine anyone getting written up for it if they genuinely believed they were a "hazard"......  And IMHO, any vehicle going slower than the prevailing speed is a hazard.

In fact there is evidence that slower drivers actually are more dangerous and cause more accidents than speeders.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_curve

Okay...our house has been without Internet for a couple of says so I've jumped on my phone and will make this short. Thanks for the update!! Looks like you're trek is going well :) Sorry we missed you at SM. .. I was really hoping we could have met up. Happy to hear that you had a nice time... and that you fit, sort of ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Monument Springs looks nice. Almost as nice as Cars Land in Disney's California Adventure.

I think you could have taken a couple more photos of that giant sunflowers painting.

TCD

If you think that was a lot, you should see the # of pictures we have at the world's largest Conestoga wagon or even the world's largest rocking chair. :) Oh yes, we're stopping at as many of these stupid attractions as possible!

What a great experience for you and your children!

Now that we've gotten over our hump of angst, anger, and sadness - things have really turned around. If you ever want to test yourselves, move into a camper. It was so hard for a while that I wasn't sure we'd make it. BUT- with some encouragement from a Roadschool Moms group and then 2 weeks in Branson with other families exactly like us, we have a renewed faith in the trip.

It's been great. I almost didn't go to the Monument Rocks thing (even though I really, really, really wanted to) because my wife was sick and wasn't going. My daughter was the one who pushed me and said she really wanted to go. So we went, and I'm glad that we did!

In other news- I mapped out our current route so far. The other day was our 1/4-nomadiversary.

c2747d13e18a4c3e13df03a429cb4267.jpg

Our original plan was to turn north and head west from "J" (Chicago). As you can see, we didn't fully stick to that and won't be getting back on track for quite a while! :)

I'm loving this "no plan"-plan!