1 year, cross country and back- it's Now or Never

Love those recent pics!  I think my favorite, is of the kids... looking at their shadows.  Very cute :)  I hope Madie is back to 100%... sick and sick in an RV, yuck :(   When I think of fulltimers, this is the biggest downside that comes to my mind; being sick in close quarters... no fun!

Branson... glad you had a great time!  I bet it was great, meeting other families doing the same as you.  Very nice.  I'm looking at meeting my folks in Branson next year... any tips for the area?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about "Criss-Crossing the Nation in One Last Gasp to See it All Before Both Major Political Parties Ruin it!" See why I was holding back?

This is amazing. Good for you guys. Can't wait to hear about it.

That's a good answer, but the common link between Dolly and the Nebraska sand hills I was going for is "things that are not flat".

In other news- I mapped out our current route so far. The other day was our 1/4-nomadiversary. c2747d13e18a4c3e13df03a429cb4267.jpg Our original plan was to turn north and head west from "J" (Chicago). As you can see, we didn't fully stick to that and won't be getting back on track for quite a while! :) I'm loving this "no plan"-plan!

That's a cool map.  You've seen a lot during the first quarter of your trip.  What caused the change of plans in Chicago?

TCD

Love those recent pics!  I think my favorite, is of the kids... looking at their shadows.  Very cute :)  I hope Madie is back to 100%... sick and sick in an RV, yuck :(   When I think of fulltimers, this is the biggest downside that comes to my mind; being sick in close quarters... no fun!

Branson... glad you had a great time!  I bet it was great, meeting other families doing the same as you.  Very nice.  I'm looking at meeting my folks in Branson next year... any tips for the area?

I feel for her. She's still under the weather. Not as bad as that first day where she had to be within steps of the potty. But she still generally feels like a train wreck.

Branson was awesome! I knew the rally would be good but it surpassed any expectation that I had. We got there a week early and really enjoyed that "small group" time where we had one on one time with other families.

As for Branson, I didn't get out much- partly due to the rally, but mostly due to work going crappily insane.

The wife and kids went to The College of the Ozarks (Hardwork U) for a tour; basically, there is no tuition as long as you work and do jobs for the school. They said it was really neat.

We went and did the golf cart tour at Top of the Rock. It was neat, but not worth the money that they were asking. And don't be fooled, it was NOT a cave your as they tried to claim!

The Titanic museum and IMAX shows were big hits. Dinner at the restaurant where the IMAX is was decent- very good service for a large group.

None of my family went, but I heard the Jonah show at the Sight and Sound was good.

Their downtown/river walk/landing/whatever cute name they gave it was fine. I was a little disappointed at the lack of local/non-chain restaurants there, though.

And lastly, my daughter did the Branson zip lines. They were really neat from what she said. I was surprised at the range of ages at that. There were a couple of old farts doing it!

There were also a ton of other shows that we didn't have time for. Not to many interested me, but I did like what I read of "Six" as my family are huge al Capella (spelling?!) fans. A few families went to see a couple of other shows. Everyone seemed to like what they saw.

We stayed at America's Best Campground (ABC). Overall, the sites were fairly cozy. You can see the pictures of my site in one of the albums. But the staff were super friendly and it was well kept. I think I'd go back.

That's a cool map.  You've seen a lot during the first quarter of your trip.  What caused the change of plans in Chicago?

TCD

A couple of things but mostly the Fulltime Families rally in Branson. It was nowhere near our original plan. But, it was something that intrigued my wife and I wanted to prove that this lifestyle supports our wish to be able to go do the things we want.

It worked out well because with the rigid plan, I was missing a chance to visit with one of my favorite aunts due to our timing and her work schedule. That's actually where we went after Chicago. We were able to spend a week in Indiana and literally visited with her 5 of 7 nights in the area.

The final side to it, we were getting burnt out with constant moves. Our life became very toxic with each other. Between the cramped living space, the missing of friends and family, the wtf have we done, and the tiredness of being constantly on the go... it got bad. Spending 2 weeks in Branson was good for rejuvenation, as well. We have decided that when possible, we would like to spend 2 weeks at places.

I feel for her. She's still under the weather. Not as bad as that first day where she had to be within steps of the potty. But she still generally feels like a train wreck. Branson was awesome! I knew the rally would be good but it surpassed any expectation that I had. We got there a week early and really enjoyed that "small group" time where we had one on one time with other families. As for Branson, I didn't get out much- partly due to the rally, but mostly due to work going crappily insane. The wife and kids went to The College of the Ozarks (Hardwork U) for a tour; basically, there is no tuition as long as you work and do jobs for the school. They said it was really neat. We went and did the golf cart tour at Top of the Rock. It was neat, but not worth the money that they were asking. And don't be fooled, it was NOT a cave your as they tried to claim! The Titanic museum and IMAX shows were big hits. Dinner at the restaurant where the IMAX is was decent- very good service for a large group. None of my family went, but I heard the Jonah show at the Sight and Sound was good. Their downtown/river walk/landing/whatever cute name they gave it was fine. I was a little disappointed at the lack of local/non-chain restaurants there, though. And lastly, my daughter did the Branson zip lines. They were really neat from what she said. I was surprised at the range of ages at that. There were a couple of old farts doing it! There were also a ton of other shows that we didn't have time for. Not to many interested me, but I did like what I read of "Six" as my family are huge al Capella (spelling?!) fans. A few families went to see a couple of other shows. Everyone seemed to like what they saw. We stayed at America's Best Campground (ABC). Overall, the sites were fairly cozy. You can see the pictures of my site in one of the albums. But the staff were super friendly and it was well kept. I think I'd go back.

Sorry she's still feeling blah!  That is no fun :(

Thanks for the feedback... good to know that you "think" you'd go back to the ABC campground, haha :)    I was on youtube last night and saw some state parks that look nice but, I don't imagine that any of them have full hook-ups, which we want.

Sorry she's still feeling blah! That is no fun :(

Thanks for the feedback... good to know that you "think" you'd go back to the ABC campground, haha :) I was on youtube last night and saw some state parks that look nice but, I don't imagine that any of them have full hook-ups, which we want.

I really hate that the app doesn't keep paragraphs! That's a huge wall of text and I swear, I use them. :)

See!:

0de1b932fac8c2284b4078f13b4a2378.jpg

:)

Spending 2 weeks in Branson was good for rejuvenation, as well. We have decided that when possible, we would like to spend 2 weeks at places.

I get it.  Very smart on your part.  Why stick to a rigid schedule when you don't have to?  You can see the places you missed when you take a victory lap of the USA next year.

TCD

I get it.  Very smart on your part.  Why stick to a rigid schedule when you don't have to?  You can see the places you missed when you take a victory lap of the USA next year.

TCD

That's been our mantra- we aren't NOT seeing stuff, we are not seeing them *yet*.

I'm eternally interested to see if we come off the road at the end of our originally scheduled 14-months. We have been talking about it and my daughter still wants to go home, but lately she's been adding "for a couple of months". I think we are all sort of coming around to the idea that this may be along term thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a terrible job keeping anything up to date. We stopped last night at a Walmart in Avon, CO on our way from Colorado Springs to Moab.

ca8299afe75e48f98edf438b1a02a2e7.jpg

We had to stop in some little touristy town for fuel and wasn't comfortable with the gas station fitting us. We opted to park the camper at a grocery store and my wife took the truck to fill it up.

de96ad965c80ad2436bfbfbadbfe52e5.jpg

At our lunch stop, I was disappointed to learn that my new power inverter wasn't man enough to run my TV. Oh well, that wasn't what it was bought for!

And then we made it to Moab. The views are amazing.

d0f57dcc97d408dfa93f1deaec42df16.jpgabd0f53432642571d3decca71ef5ca58.jpgce71237103e3f3913b6f48731e3686f6.jpg

And we had our first dinner cooked on our new Weber Q.

d66a33d89234a7745f67ef450bf60603.jpg

After needing space heaters and our furnace the past few nights, the forecast looks great!

29f147c8bc79f5fb6522297f204a83e6.jpg

But, the true piece de resistance are the stars. THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM! And, I need to verify I'm seeing what I think I am- I believe that we can see the Milky Way!

I agree with DIT- you probably are seeing the Milky Way.   I am envious of being able to see the stars.  That's one thing that stinks about where I live- we barely can see any stars.  And the Fort is worse.

I am bothered by your hot dog grilling technique:

d66a33d89234a7745f67ef450bf60603.jpg

Those dogs need to be turned the other way so they'll have proper grill marks.

TCD

WOW...  sooo pretty!

Hope y'all are feeling much better!

We are. We spent the night at 8,000' or something. Better yet, my CPAP kicked off in the middle of the night. I had to setup a new power inverter to finish the night. Fortunately through a series of strange events, I actually had one!

But, now down to 4,000 feet, things are much better! I'm still terribly out of shape, but you know... need to get back to that Fiends getting healthy thread.

I'm sure you can see the Milky Way. We camped in a certified Dark Sky location this summer and you come to realize just how much light pollution we live with, even if you think you live in the country. I bet you are seeing some beautiful night skies.

As we have gone west, the sky has gotten darker and darker. I thought I saw the Milky Way when we were in Colorado Springs, but I wasn't positive. It's still looking like just a little band of cloudy- but it's there in the same spot as before.

Each time we camped, my wife would talk about the stars. I kept telling her to wait until we got out west. She was pretty mesmerized by them last night. I made sure she remembered that I told her they'd be awesome and that I'm always right. I then saw stars.

I agree with DIT- you probably are seeing the Milky Way.   I am envious of being able to see the stars.  That's one thing that stinks about where I live- we barely can see any stars.  And the Fort is worse.

I am bothered by your hot dog grilling technique:

Those dogs need to be turned the other way so they'll have proper grill marks.

TCD

Back in Maryland, you could see some. Going camping into the woods was a treat and you could see more. But, this is unreal. It's almost hard to find constellations due to so many stars!

And that's funny- I've legit never cooked hotdogs the other way. This keeps them from rolling off. And my food is meant to be eaten, not admired. :D

And now, for some more campground pictures. First, an updated glamour shot of the camper since it was a little dark last night.

ff5f6f1711cb8445d01c22d36eb598f1.jpg

Panorama of the campers:

7d56e33b115e31ca07fc01663ff69110.jpg

A panorama of the view:

09205b74e3e28d013a805c987a14e041.jpg

And here's the view behind of the camper:

04c86c313a38cb93b8dcd7d94da1ebb0.jpgafec6d65f39852aed1c807d16d34cc16.jpg

And then, there was this guy... raking? With a piece of fence and railroad timbers...?

15ce8f10e09421ce894bf67680ce3899.jpg

Attaboy!

You are a quick learner.

I hope they didn't roll off the grill, though.

TCD

Haha!  I prefer to cook  mine the same way Doug posted at first as well.  I think they cook better that way.  However, I will agree that they look better cooked the other way.