Do y'all use the Sunpass deal?

I read an earlier thread and some folks love it.

Do I get it at a Publix once i cross the state line off 75?

Is it good for next year too/

Once i buy the responder I just load money onto it before we leave each time?

For those of us who live in Georgia and have the Peachpass, there's an agreement in place to use that instead of a SunPass. Last time we went down, I had the PeachPass stuck on the windshield and the SunPass in the glove box. Got double charged.  :rant:

Really, so my Peachpass will work? 

For those of us who live in Georgia and have the Peachpass, there's an agreement in place to use that instead of a SunPass. Last time we went down, I had the PeachPass stuck on the windshield and the SunPass in the glove box. Got double charged.  :rant:

We may purchase a Peachpass... anything to get us to the Fort (even a few minutes) faster :)

The least expensive Sunpass is like a credit card you stick on your windshield. It can't come off without destroying it, so,it's only good for 1 vehicle. It costs $5. I was going to get the movable $20 one, but realized its cheaper to by the $5 for each of my cars, and link them all under the same account. Sort of like linking Magic Bands, but the Sunpass system actually works!

Most states have reciprocal agreements for the toll passes, at least neighboring states usually do.

Yes, if you truly need it for only your vehicles, the sticker is the way to go.

I have the sticker on my truck.  I did break down and buy a portable sunpass to use in rental cars though.

Also, supposedly, with Platepass, if you have at least one Sunpass transponder or sticker, and list the tag on a 2nd vehicle on your account, the booths will read the plate and assign the toll to your account even if the sunpass is not in the vehicle. I've never tested that, but it should work.

Do y'all use the Sunpass deal?

I read an earlier thread and some folks love it.

Do I get it at a Publix once i cross the state line off 75?

Is it good for next year too/

Once i buy the responder I just load money onto it before we leave each time?

Here is a link where to purchase a Sunpass.

https://www.sunpass.com/salesLocations  This one is govt locations including some rest area vending machines (only the $5 credit card type).  The rest area between Tampa and Orlando on I-4 has them.

It also has this

Purchasing a SunPass Mini transponder or Portable transponder is easy because they are available at nearly 2,000 retail locations throughout the state. Retailers include Publix Super Markets, CVS Pharmacy stores, Walgreens and AAA South offices in Florida. They can also be purchased at Navarro Pharmacies and Sedano's Supermarkets in Broward and Miami-Dade Counties. Transponders are available at all Turnpike service plazas, Turnpike gas stations and SunPass Service Centers.   

You can also purchase them on line.

I've also read it's limited sharing. I have am older friend who insisted she used her PA easy pass just fine when she was here last winter, I only assume there was a giant stack of tickets in her mailbox when she got home

She probably mistook the "E"pass sign for the "EZ" pass up North. That system has wide reciprocity IL, IN, OH, NY, WV, PA, MD, NJ, DE, VA, ME, MA, RI, NC and NH.

I may have missed one or two, but I love it when traveling. That's why we have both Sun Pass and I Pass (the Illinois version which it part of the EZ pass network)

I've thought about getting one since Orlando is toll-road city. We travel mostly with our camper but for short trips we prefer the tent. How hard is it to switch tolls for 2 axle and 2+ axle before a trip?

From the Sunpass FAQ

5. Can I pull a boat/trailer?

A: When towing, you can use the SunPass lanes. The toll for additional axle(s) will be calculated and deducted from your account balance during subsequent use.

From the Sunpass FAQ

5. Can I pull a boat/trailer?

A: When towing, you can use the SunPass lanes. The toll for additional axle(s) will be calculated and deducted from your account balance during subsequent use.

So it does it automagically? That's nice.

Now for a nice little digression: We went to Disneyland back in January. While we were there we made a side trip to visit some of my relatives over in Laguna beach and the GPS routed me over a #$@@ toll road for all of 3 miles. Guess what? NO TOLL BOOTHS! Instead, the system takes your picture, and they had instructions on paying your toll online within 5 days via a poorly constructed web page. All you have to do is put in the entry and exit plazas, which were not conveniently labeled either on the plazas or the online map. It took me about an hour to figure out how to pay a $3 toll.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and sign up on the website, name address, phone number, tag number of car, birthdate of firstborn, etc...

Also, supposedly, with Platepass, if you have at least one Sunpass transponder or sticker, and list the tag on a 2nd vehicle on your account, the booths will read the plate and assign the toll to your account even if the sunpass is not in the vehicle. I've never tested that, but it should work.

I can confirm that having multiple plates registered to one transponder works. We have six vehicles and five drivers in the TCD gang.  When the twins got cars, I had one transponder that four of us were sharing (oldest DD has the sticker on her windshield).  All of the vehicles and plates were registered, and then they came along with the plate reading technology, and now we don't have to pass the transponder around.  This has worked fine everywhere we have gone in Florida, from all the way down at the parking garage in the Miami Airport, and all the way up the turnpike.  The cameras read the vehicle tag- and the transponder is not needed.

TCD