I Almost Killed My Best Friend Twice -- WWW 2015

Had to think back when we went... it was November of 2012, around mid-month and it was a Thanksgiving style thing.  I guess it wasn't really a buffet, but more like the HDDR where they just kept bringing you platters of food :)

Love the picture of Chris in the water and that food looks great! :)

Chris had a great time in the water.  And that food was delicious!

It felt like fake grass to me when I was on it.

It looks like fake grass, too.  Which Disney could easily replace overnight.

Hey Gwen, I can't tell from the pictures, which each did you stop at? :rofl:

What a fun trip, well minus the threats to poorChris!

:rofl2:

Thankfully we arrived at EPCOT too late for our Soarin' FP+.  Otherwise that may have been the third attempt

Working on an update.  Chris is still having internet issues.  Was hoping she could be here to provide her own perspective.  Maybe later.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chris and I have been best friends for 42 years.  We met at work and have been inseparable ever since.  If I hadn't moved to another city when I was 4, we would have attended the same high school toge

Saturday, May 2 -- Part 2   Later that evening the WW had their potluck dinner, and it was so good!  Can you believe I forgot to take a picture of the food table?  Shame on me!   As usual, Carol was b

First... Praise God that Chris is okay!  While I realized that many of the CM's were unnecessary, at least they appeared to care so...kuddos there Disney!   Pictures of you two are super cute; again,

Finally caught up - you took so many terrific photos, Gwen!!  :)

I know this is a Photopass one, but I think it's great too...

MK_BELLEVILLAGEBRIDGEICONNC_7301735111%2

Speaking of gifts we also received hair clips with flowers on them, a fancy mason jar decorated with our names and a top with holes in it and a cool straw that won't fall out, even if it is tipped over, those by Mo, if my memory is working.

I forgot to take a photo of all the glasses together like I wanted, but here's what they looked like.

17710684368_afe2daed0d_b.jpg

17899062861_88d39d16d9.jpg

And yes, the straws have a little nubbin at the end so you can't pull them out by accident.

However the covers had decorative holes, which means you can't tip them over without spilling.  8)

I forgot to take a photo of all the glasses together like I wanted, but here's what they looked like.

17710684368_afe2daed0d_b.jpg

17899062861_88d39d16d9.jpg

And yes, the straws have a little nubbin at the end so you can't pull them out by accident.

However the covers had decorative holes, which means you can't tip them over without spilling.   B)

Those glasses are gorgeous - so pretty!!!!

Those glasses are gorgeous - so pretty!!!!

Thanks!  They're actually special edition Ball canning jars I ran across.  When I saw them in purple I couldn't resist.  I did the writing in metallic Sharpie and the flower decals were sold alongside the jars and decorative lids/straws.

Tuesday, May 5 -- Part 2

After lunch we continued up A1A toward our next destination.  This is a beautiful drive.  I highly recommend it if you haven't seen this part of the Atlantic Ocean.  There are very few houses and hotels between the road and the ocean.

_DSC7360_zpsvh0nnztt.jpg

_DSC7364_zpsnhezyl7j.jpg

If it weren't for the utility poles, I'd think this picture was taken on the undeveloped side of Cozumel:

_DSC7365_zpso7gjcwxv.jpg

We enjoyed the coral sand in the area.  Our sand here in the Carolinas is a very light tan.

_DSC7367_zpstvxdptvt.jpg

_DSC7368_zpswpo09k52.jpg

_DSC7369_zpsilwkxumj.jpg

And finally we arrived at another destination that Chris had never visited -- St. Augustine!

_DSC7372_zpswotvhu0o.jpg

_DSC7384_zps85pukhxx.jpg

_DSC7390_zps0mtl9nag.jpg

_DSC7391_zpsdx45vzb3.jpg

A panorama of the fort:

_DSC7370a%20St%20Augustine%20Fort%20Pano

_DSC7399_zpszbc9hewj.jpg

_DSC7404_zpsetowbmrg.jpg

_DSC7405_zpsveczfbqq.jpg

_DSC7406_zpsdv5u7ezw.jpg

_DSC7407_zpsjlaa1w2f.jpg

_DSC7409_zpsvqddnp1q.jpg

_DSC7413_zpsght06rr5.jpg

St. Augustine is a great place to visit.  It's very picturesque.  There's a lot of history.  Unfortunately we didn't have time to get out and walk around.  It was getting late.

We planned to stop for the night in Richmond Hill, GA.  After we found I-95, I got on the phone and called every hotel there listed in the AAA book.  Every single one was booked up.

So then I started calling hotels in Savannah near 95.  We found a room at the Country Inn and Suites at a reasonable price for the area.  It was at exit 94.

Chris checked us in and we went up to the room to check it out.  Wow, it was bad!  The furnishings were nice, but the floor obviously hadn't been vacuumed.  Dime-sized spots of toilet tissue scattered on the carpet.  And the room apparently hadn't been used for quite some time.  It smelled ... it really smelled!  After her recent asthma attack, there was no way Chris would sleep there.

It was late.  We were exhausted.  And we had nowhere to sleep that night.

We got back on the phone and finally found a room at a nearby Holiday Inn.  I usually avoid HIs, but we were desperate.  And we were pleasantly surprised!

_DSC7415_zpsvvwazjj2.jpg

_DSC7416_zpsrfsafx1p.jpg

It was more expensive than the last place, but it was immaculate.  It was a place where Snarky, Chris, and I could safely lay down our weary bodies for the night.

_DSC7418_zpsp8tchmqr.jpg

And guess what the lady's name was at the front desk?  It was Gwendolyn!

We had a late dinner at the bar ... I got a burger, and Chris had quesadillas.  We packed up our leftovers.  The room had a fridge, microwave, and Keurig-type coffee machine.  Gwendolyn gave me several decaf coffees, so we were good to go.

The next morning I took this picture out the window.  Not very picturesque, but the hotel served our needs perfectly.

_DSC7419_zps9aelm5cx.jpg

Our breakfast consisted of our night before's leftovers.

Then we packed up the car and left Savannah a little before 9am:

_DSC7420_zpss8oqyyew.jpg

And a few minutes later we crossed the SC line.

_DSC7423_zpsjgrtq1ei.jpg

We stopped at a Le Creuset factory outlet and then again in Orangeburg, SC.

In Columbia we refueled and had lunch at Applebee's.

Onion rings (to make up for my inability to get them at the Flame Tree kiosk) and Caesar salad:

_DSC7424_zpsdwjwz1bg.jpg

Basil-tomato bisque:

_DSC7426_zps2flk6nwf.jpg

A couple glasses of wine:

_DSC7427_zpsakv9sp4n.jpg

Chris' riblets:

_DSC7428_zpsrp84g5oc.jpg

And my steak and veggies:

_DSC7429_zpsxvzbf8cb.jpg

A nice, filling meal, and a great way to end our adventure.

We drove on to the Carowinds exit on 77, where David met me a little before 3.  Chris and I said our tearful goodbyes. 

I couldn't express how much this trip meant to me ... how wonderful it was to spend seven days in the 24-hour presence of my sister ... to be constantly in the presence of someone who understands, supports, and prays for me ... it was absolutely priceless.

And then in less than two hours I was home and back to reality.

Up next ... a few last thoughts.

We've stayed in quiet a few Holiday Inns that have been pretty nice recently. They seem to be turning around.

St Augustine looks beautiful! That's the one downside to flying, no side trips. But I'm willing to give them up to avoid a lengthy drive.

Your food looks really good, I'm not sure I would have guessed that was Applebee's!

You're very welcome - so glad you're enjoying it!  :)

Love the beach/St. A pictures!

Wow... St. Augustine looks pretty!! :)

Yuck about the hotel... makes we remember why we all love our homes on wheels so much...

St. Augustine is a really pretty place.  Hope you can visit there some time.

Yes, we love our home on wheels.  Don't have to check for bed bugs, don't worry about the germs because they're ours, don't have to worry about where to put my head down -- just pull over somewhere and go to sleep (and it's free).

We've stayed in quiet a few Holiday Inns that have been pretty nice recently. They seem to be turning around.

St Augustine looks beautiful! That's the one downside to flying, no side trips. But I'm willing to give them up to avoid a lengthy drive.

Your food looks really good, I'm not sure I would have guessed that was Applebee's!

I agree with you that HI seems to be turning around.  Just judging by this location.

Maybe sometime you could take a week to get home.  Meander up the coastline.  Go to St. Augustine, Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, etc.  That would be a nice trip.

Applebee's -- I've never been a fan.  But that food was really good!  For a $22 special we got the onion rings, Chris' riblets and salad, and my steak and veggies.  We added on her tomato soup and the two glasses of wine.  It was still less than $40, including trip.  It was a bargain.  

My parents live in central FL and they really enjoy camping at a state park on the beach near St Augustine.  I'd like to get to that city and explore it more someday.  

That would be Anastasia State park, we were there last year it is a very nice place, water & electric only very shady but a long walk to the beach from your site. For the area we really liked it there.

Sorry, guys, I just realized I never finished up this TR.  So ...

Last Thoughts

I wish we could have spent time in the parks with Gretchen and the other WW.  It just wasn't meant to be.

I wish Chris and I had spent the extra money on park hoppers.  We were up and off to the parks early.  When we were finished for the day, everyone else was headed off to a park.  And if it wasn't the same one we enjoyed during the day, we couldn't join them.

I was so proud of Chris, who walked the parks every day.  Before the trip I didn't believe it was possible.  She did great!  I just wished I could have walked the parks too, but I've come to accept my limitations. 

I kicked myself daily because I put Chris' health in jeopardy not once but twice!  Now I know better.

As for the F&GF:  There didn't seem to be as many topiaries as my last visit.  The food booths were a welcome addition.  Would I make a trip down just to attend F&GF?  Absolutely not.  There's not enough there to entice me.  The flowers are nice, but IMHO they should have them at EPCOT year round.  EPCOT looks bare without them.

We were blessed to attend WWW 2015 and prayerfully hope to attend again!

So glad you two go this trip!  There are (usually) things we would all change but, what a blessing none-the-less :)   Thanks for "taking us along"!   :)

And Chris has her seventh grandchild today, born a little after noon!  She's trying to catch up to me.

Congratulations to Chris!!  A grandbaby... how beautiful  :wub:

So glad you two go this trip!  There are (usually) things we would all change but, what a blessing none-the-less :)   Thanks for "taking us along"!   :)

Congratulations to Chris!!  A grandbaby... how beautiful  :wub:

Thank you for reading along, Nacole!

Chris has one great grandchild (and thankfully I don't have yet), so technically we are tied at 8 each.