Dave Loves Beer (and his wife)....DIT and INC Celebrate 20 Years

They let you take your coffee on the lazy river??  I think that is sooo neat.  Man... that sounds so nice right now.  Drinking a coffee, floating on some water :)    And the food!!  Looks like you two relaxed and ate.  Sounds pretty darn great to me!  :)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, no I didn't!  I forgot to go back to that.     I got her a new diamond ring....basically a solitaire engagement ring.  When we got engaged we didn't have two nickles to rub together, so I got her

Time to wrap up this short trip report that I never even intended on writing until Mo forced me to.   :D   We went to Primo for a sit down dinner.  Now, I mentioned earlier that INC and I prefer casua

Ok...I wasn't going to write a trip report for our 20th anniversary trip but Mo wanted to see my pictures of beer.  So blame her.   This will be a quick one....probably just a few updates.     So May

Ha! Sounds like my parents. "How long have you guys been married?" "I don't know, how old is your sister?"

LOL!

Congrats on the anniversary and actually getting a restful trip alone to celebrate!

Thanks!

Well it must be the other one.  Geez Louise they look just alike!  It was super awesome too!!

Why hire another architect if the building you have works well?  :D

Happy Anniversary! Looks like you had an awesome trip, eating, drinking, relaxing...my kind of trip.

We just celebrated 25 years and took our first adults only WDW trip. We had such an awesome time, can't wait to plan another one. Just can't tell my kids...they're still in shock we went without them.

Awesome!  Kids have enough fun these days....us adults deserve some time WITHOUT THEM!  

They let you take your coffee on the lazy river??  I think that is sooo neat.  Man... that sounds so nice right now.  Drinking a coffee, floating on some water  :)    And the food!!  Looks like you two relaxed and ate.  Sounds pretty darn great to me!   :)

Not only did they let us take our coffee, when we were done I was getting out to go find a trash bin for the cups and an attendant offered to take them for me before I was out of the river.  I'm just not comfortable being waited on to that level, so I declined and did it myself.  They probably offer because there are people who finish their drinks and just leave the cups sitting on the edge of the river.  I just can't imagine doing that...expecting someone to pick up after me.  Not how I was raised I guess.  

Congratulations on 20 years. With a college kid I figured it would have been longer. But that's because we will be married 15 years this August and Miley is just graduating Kindergarten tomorrow.

Haha... that sounds like us.  We are one of the "old" parents.  Married 17 years this fall and our son will turn 4 years old, just 5 days after that anniversary :)

Those sound like great memories!  I wonder if you were in a different hotel....this one was build in 2003 I think?  There is another HUGE Marriott closer to Disney...the World Center.  Was that it?  That is a very nice hotel with some enormous pools!  

Well it must be the other one.  Geez Louise they look just alike!  It was super awesome too!!

It might've been the Orlando World Center Marriot.  It's that same sort of truncated V shape design.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mcowc-orlando-world-center-marriott/

They do have a big pool and courtyard area in between the wings.

It's at the intersection of 536 and 535 across from the Nickelodeon Hotel.

You can see it on the S  side of I-4 as you're approaching the Downtown Disney area.

Not sure when it was built, it's one of those places that just seems like it's always been there.

That is a beautiful lazy river!  I'd like to spend a few days lounging there.

That is a really nice layout. 

We've stayed at the Omni at Championsgate a few times (before they added parking fees and ridiculous resort fees) and loved their lazy river, but it's nothing compared to yours!   I spent so much time in it one visit that I wore off the tips of my toes that were dragging along the bottom.

Good pick!

Haha... that sounds like us.  We are one of the "old" parents.  Married 17 years this fall and our son will turn 4 years old, just 5 days after that anniversary :)

Keep having kids like us, and you can be REALLY old parents.  LOL.  Last year we had kids in college, high school, middle school and elementary all the way down to kindergarten.  When we go to Anna's school functions, I sometimes wonder if people think we are her grandparents.  LOL.  

It might've been the Orlando World Center Marriot.  It's that same sort of truncated V shape design.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mcowc-orlando-world-center-marriott/

They do have a big pool and courtyard area in between the wings.

It's at the intersection of 536 and 535 across from the Nickelodeon Hotel.

You can see it on the S  side of I-4 as you're approaching the Downtown Disney area.

Not sure when it was built, it's one of those places that just seems like it's always been there.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the place she would have stayed if it was the early 90's.

I love the way you take your time dining and not settling for just one stop. I can feel the relaxation.

It was awesome....I want to go back!

That is a beautiful lazy river!  I'd like to spend a few days lounging there.

I love how lush it is....there are plenty of lazy rivers where you bake in the sun.  We are more shade lovers...although there was plenty of sun to be had for those that enjoy that.  

That is a really nice layout. 

We've stayed at the Omni at Championsgate a few times (before they added parking fees and ridiculous resort fees) and loved their lazy river, but it's nothing compared to yours!   I spent so much time in it one visit that I wore off the tips of my toes that were dragging along the bottom.

Good pick!

Toes grow back.  

Congratulations on 20 years.  When a couple spends an anniversary 'trapped' together in a resort you know that's a healthy marriage.  Way to go!

I can honestly say we are closer now than we were earlier in our marriage.  Age and experience bring a new perspective to a marriage of what is truly important.  Like beer.  And diamonds.  LOL.

That looks like a perfect day! And those donuts... oh my! When you splurge, you do it right. 

Yes we do!  If it ain't worth it, I no longer put it in my body.  But if it's worth it, you have to live, right?

Sounds like the perfect trip ... yummy beers, homemade pretzels, naps in hammocks, lazy rivers, sushi, a tube full of Nutella and a view of fireworks.  What more could you want!?

Being next to the person you love....don't forget that!  

I had no idea that resort was so nice.  I've forgotten what it's like to stay at a resort where food offerings are not dictated by the Disney Dining Plan.

How to the rates regular folks have to pay compare to Disney resort rates?

TCD

Rates vary WILDLY at this place depending on time of year.  I can tell you that you can get some amazing deals there in August this year.  We likely are returning then with the kids for a "before everyone goes back to school and moves to college" trip....and the rates are so low that it's not worth using my points for it.  I booked two rooms in early August for $139/night per room.  That does not include the resort fee....so figure it's actually $169/nt.  Still, for a resort of this caliber that's pretty good.  

On the other hand, taking a look at availability around my birthday in February....and the lowest rate I can find is over $700/night.  I think that's unusual, but like anything it's all about demand and filling rooms.  

I've yet to meet her i person, but I like her already.  B)

I need to keep you two separated.  I have a feeling that it could be dangerous.  

Dave, this TR is awesome. The resort, food, drinks, River, hammock looks absolutely amazing.

It's hard to imagine that places like this are just down the road from us and we never stay at them.

Congratulations on 20 years, may God bless your marriage for many, many more!

Thank you!  

Let's move along to Friday....

This day began very similar to the last.  We got up, got our suits on, and headed downstairs in search of breakfast.  Today, we shook things up a bit and got our oatmeal from Starbucks.  :D

You may be noticing a pattern in my trip reports over the past year and a half....we start most days on vacation with oatmeal.  We eat a bit more variety for breakfast at home, but much of what we would typically have at home isn't readily available when dining out.  But oatmeal is fairly easy to find, and some places have very good and healthy oatmeal....you just have to avoid most of the "fast food" oatmeals.  (I mean, really, McD's can even take something as simple as oatmeal and make it bad for you).  In any case, Starbucks oatmeal is fairly decent and not full of garbage.  So we grabbed two oatmeals and two Americanos and hit the river.

A pathway into the pool area.

lazy9.jpg

Here are some more pictures of the lazy river and pools to give you a better idea of what it looks like, and how huge the area is.

lazy2.jpg

lazy4.jpg

lazy5.jpg

lazy6.jpg

One of the hot tubs.

lazy8.jpg

I really liked the hot tubs here, as they were nestled amidst landscaping and very serene.  

We floated the morning away, and around 11:00 I decided it was time for some adult beverages.  The lounge chairs each have a little flag on the back that you flip up when you want service, and it wasn't too long before INC was sipping on this.

20150515_114901.jpg

That's a half strawberry daiquiri and half pina colada.  

I got another Sam Adams Summer Ale.

20150515_114908.jpg

The cool thing is....the server remembered what I had ordered the day before.

After a while of laying around, we decided to wander over toward the Ritz pool and check out the scene there.  

When you approach the pool at the Ritz Carlton, an attendant will immediately approach you and ask if you would like some lounge chairs set up for you.  Now, that doesn't mean there aren't chairs already sitting there ready to use.  But they will cover the chairs with these fancy terrycloth fitted covers, and arrange them where you'd like them, or situate you in a little canopy area if one is available.  Again, this isn't something I'm really comfortable with so I politely declined.  It's not that I don't like tipping, I really just like to do things on my own.  

Besides....these chairs are pretty freaking comfortable even without a terrycloth cover.  They have thick cushions to lay on....

20150515_130111.jpg

Here's the pool.  it's not that big....but it sure is fancy.

20150515_130103.jpg

Here's a pic from above that I lifted off another site.

ritz.jpg

There is also a kids splash area and playground here.

ritz2.jpg

We decided it was time for a snack....and perhaps another drink?

So here is a Pood Forn fail....but you can see what it was that we had.

2015-05-15%2B13.47.03.jpg

LOL!  Yep, we had some yucca fries, and they were awesome!

And they had this too.  

20150515_131358.jpg

20150515_131513.jpg

I like grapefruit and all....but I really wish they hadn't given me the can.  Because I read it.  And sometimes I regret doing that.  

I enjoyed the beer, but won't ever order another one.  

Anyways...we enjoyed the Ritz pool because they have pool floaties and because the chairs are so freaking comfortable.  But overall the vibe is a bit too "South Beach" for me.   

We wandered back toward the JW, and saw these for rent.

lazy7.jpg

And passed this firepit.

lazy3.jpg

We hit the river a bit longer, and then headed back to the room to get ready for our final evening out.  An evening that I came to regret as I ignored my better judgement.  Coming up....

It's hard to imagine that places like this are just down the road from us and we never stay at them.

That's because we all have drunk the Disney Kool Aid.  We ignore what is off property because Disney is soo magical.  But I think the magic has lost a little of it's luster.

This past weekend staying at the Dolphin was our first time ever staying at a Disney Hotel (and I know it's not a true Disney one).

We have always stayed in off site hotels.  The majority of them had larger rooms than Disney ones, nice grounds, and great amenities, just not the Disney brand.

What Disney has going for them at the moment is no added on resort fees or parking fees.  Both of which are rapidly becoming the norm for vacation destination cities.

Of course Disney has probably added on those fees into the room prices...

I think I realize now, why the river looks so appealing, besides the obvious "paradise" look.

I don't see a single soul in the shots.

We don't really do water parks since the boys were little, but I do remember them being so congested with tubers that it's a little difficult to relax.

(You feel something touching your ear, turn around and its some dude's big toe)

This river is calling me

That's because we all have drunk the Disney Kool Aid.  We ignore what is off property because Disney is soo magical.  But I think the magic has lost a little of it's luster.

This past weekend staying at the Dolphin was our first time ever staying at a Disney Hotel (and I know it's not a true Disney one).

We have always stayed in off site hotels.  The majority of them had larger rooms than Disney ones, nice grounds, and great amenities, just not the Disney brand.

What Disney has going for them at the moment is no added on resort fees or parking fees.  Both of which are rapidly becoming the norm for vacation destination cities.

Of course Disney has probably added on those fees into the room prices...

I'm pretty sure Disney is making out just fine with their current room rates....and like you said, any "resort fee" or "amenity fee" items are built into the rates.  But I still wouldn't put it past them to begin charging such fees at their Deluxe Resorts.  

Was it the cochineal extract in the grapefruit beer that got you?

Yep!  

A girl after my own heart!  :)

As for the Schoferhoffer (which I've never seen in a can, btw)... aw, what's a little bug extract for color?  B)

(seriously just looked that up the other day... ew)

I guess ground up bugs is not as bad as some of the artificial colorings out there.  At least they can honestly say "natural coloring".  LOL.  

I think I realize now, why the river looks so appealing, besides the obvious "paradise" look.

I don't see a single soul in the shots.

We don't really do water parks since the boys were little, but I do remember them being so congested with tubers that it's a little difficult to relax.

(You feel something touching your ear, turn around and its some dude's big toe)

This river is calling me

We purposely stayed this week, in mid-May, as it's a quiet time at resorts like this.  Most kids are in the midst of final exams or at least prepping for the end of the school year, so parents are less likely to pull them out.  I don't know what the occupancy was at the hotel that week, but I know it was quite low.  I imagine over Memorial Day weekend that lazy river looked remarkably different.