What's worse than getting stuck on the monorail?

Here's some more of the story

At 3:45 p.m. Friday, the operating systems for the Orlando Eye indicated a technical default with the system that monitors the wheel position of the Orlando Eye, officials said in a statement.

The attraction automatically shuts down if communication with the system is interrupted as a safety precaution, according to Orlando Eye officials.

"Immediately following the default, the operations team began working to resolve the matter to allow guests to disembark the attraction. A backup system was employed that allowed capsules to be moved to the platform and opened manually," Orlando Eye officials said. "Throughout the process, representatives from the Orlando Eye maintained two-way audio and visual communications with guests to ensure their safety and comfort. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this caused to those guests that were on the attraction."

Guests were assisted with exiting gondolas, OCFR said. Medical assessment and aid were provided as needed.

The Orlando Eye, which opened in May, was shut down later in the month because of technical issues.

I was stuck on the Monorail just past The Polynesian for over 45 minutes in the middle of one of the most severe thunderstorms that I have seen at Disney.  For the first 30 minutes they kept repeating on the intercom that we were "holding for further traffic."  It was only in the last few minutes of the episode that they mentioned they were having technical trouble.

Reminded me of the time I was on an airplane at Atlanta when the pilot kept saying that we were going to be cleared for takeoff in about 15 minutes.  Problem with that was when we turned from the tarmac to enter the lane for the runway I got a glimpse of what was ahead of us and it looked like half of the U.S. Air Force was there.  Needless to say, the 15 minutes turned into an hour.

Reminded me of the time I was on an airplane at Atlanta when the pilot kept saying that we were going to be cleared for takeoff in about 15 minutes.  Problem with that was when we turned from the tarmac to enter the lane for the runway I got a glimpse of what was ahead of us and it looked like half of the U.S. Air Force was there.  Needless to say, the 15 minutes turned into an hour.

I experienced a long wait on the tarmac on Wed night in DCA......

Atlanta was at a full ground stop, but it was expected to be released any moment, so they loaded the plane, so we were ready to get in line as soon as the ground stop was released, then Atlanta was released. But just then a storm rolled through DC, and DCA was on a ground stop and we couldn't be pushed back, that finally rolled through and we got into line, and then Atlanta had ANOTHER ground stop. By then, some passengers were stating they would miss their connections in Atlanta and would prefer to just stay in DCA, so back to the gate we went, a few passengers got off, then we FINALLY got back in line, and another 30 minutes later, we got our wheels up time, and off we went. I did miss my connection in ATL, but wanted to get closer to home so that I could get home earlier on Thursday.  Fortunately, ATL has a large number of hotels right there by the airport with continuous shuttles, and was able to get to a hotel pretty quickly once I got off the plane in ATL.

On behalf of Mayor Kaseem Reed and all the politicians who have friends running the ATL concessions, baggage, and ground transportation, I apologize for the delays.

Personally I have not flown since 1995 and plan to make that my final flight.

On behalf of Mayor Kaseem Reed and all the politicians who have friends running the ATL concessions, baggage, and ground transportation, I apologize for the delays.

Personally I have not flown since 1995 and plan to make that my final flight.

I'll second that; I had enough flying before I retired and I believe my last flight was in 1998.  Carol's episode is just one of the reasons that I detest flying and I'm sure that it is worse now than it was back when I was flying so much.

Kristie has came up with my next worst thing.  I hate Disney's buses and will only get on one if I have no other possible way to get to where I want to go.  I'll bet that there is a lot of people here that could tell some horror stories about being on a crowded Disney bus, some of my stories came about when the bus wasn't even crowded, as was the case when we got on one at Downtown Disney and when we arrived at Wilderness Lodge we were informed that the bus does not go to the Fort.  When I asked the driver why the bus was displaying "Ft. Wilderness", he couldn't come up with an answer and decided that he would go back through the Fort just to accommodate us.  He never admitted his error and I never pushed him, but as he was preparing to leave the Fort, he was seen changing the sign.

I agree, I avoid the buses except where absolutely necessary. I'll take a boat and two monorails before choosing a bus. Although my attitude may be somewhat different now that I have a DP! I found myself imagining myself as a Disney bus driver when driving our RV along the serpentine road through the woods on our last camping trip... felt a lot like the Fort-Lodge leg. Never thought I'd feel nostalgia toward a Disney bus ride!

I'll second that; I had enough flying before I retired and I believe my last flight was in 1998.  Carol's episode is just one of the reasons that I detest flying and I'm sure that it is worse now than it was back when I was flying so much.

Kristie has came up with my next worst thing.  I hate Disney's buses and will only get on one if I have no other possible way to get to where I want to go.  I'll bet that there is a lot of people here that could tell some horror stories about being on a crowded Disney bus, some of my stories came about when the bus wasn't even crowded, as was the case when we got on one at Downtown Disney and when we arrived at Wilderness Lodge we were informed that the bus does not go to the Fort.  When I asked the driver why the bus was displaying "Ft. Wilderness", he couldn't come up with an answer and decided that he would go back through the Fort just to accommodate us.  He never admitted his error and I never pushed him, but as he was preparing to leave the Fort, he was seen changing the sign.

I actually don't hate it yet. Funny thing is airplane flights are truly the only time, I can unplug, and turn off the constant beep, beep of email. I can put the phone on airplane mode, turn on my Nook app, and lose myself in a junk book. I can sleep on a plane at the drop of a hat, and so far, haven't found a hotel in my preferred chain that was bad.

I actually don't hate it yet. Funny thing is airplane flights are truly the only time, I can unplug, and turn off the constant beep, beep of email. I can put the phone on airplane mode, turn on my Nook app, and lose myself in a junk book. I can sleep on a plane at the drop of a hat, and so far, haven't found a hotel in my preferred chain that was bad.

In full disclosure I should have mentioned that I have allergies that have adversely affected my sinuses over the years.  Most airplane rides leave me with stopped up ears for at least 12 hours and sometimes a lot worse.  My company insisted I fly even though it sometimes meant an in-state trip--once had to fly from Birmingham to Mobile and made several trips from Birmingham to Tupelo, Mississippi.  I could have driven to Tupelo in less than 3 hours (would be much faster now with the advent of I-22) and to Mobile in a little over 4 hours. 

As for the hotels, I always had good luck with them also, but after several years it did get very tiresome living out of a suitcase.

• 2 weeks later...