Greetings all, I have been following this board for a while, but this is my first time posting. My husband and I are recently returned Peace Corps South Africa volunteers who love to tent camp.

I grew up on the east coast, and I have fond memories of camping at FW with my family (especially during the bicentennial). I live in the PNW now, so I never thought I'd be camping at Disney again because of the logistics of getting our camping gear there. However, we found a trailer rental company and decided to camp for part of our trip this year!

My main point of confusion is what will happen to us after we disembark DME. Will Fort Wilderness bell services deliver our luggage to our campsite? Will we have to walk our luggage to our site? When we check out, we are switching to another Disney resort. Will bell services collect our luggage from our site so it can be delivered to our next hotel? Do we need to walk our luggage to the main entrance?

Lastly, will Fort Wilderness allow Uber in for pickups?

Thanks so much for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Several years ago we made a similar trip. Flew into Orlando, rented a car (to pick up groceries) and than drove to the Fort. After a week we transferred to a PO French quarter.

IIRC when we checked in we had a car so we brought our luggage to our site. But when we checked out I called the front deck and they sent someone to pick up our luggage and they took it to out resort.

As far as uber, kelly will be along shortly to tell you her experience with them.

And welcome.

Welcome! As far as the luggage goes they will call you to make sure you are at your site and then bring it to you. They may try to come by without calling first. If you havent heard from them you can always use a house phone on the comfort station or hop a bus up front and they will bring it and you back down to your site. 

Welcome! As far as the luggage goes they will call you to make sure you are at your site and then bring it to you. They may try to come by without calling first. If you havent heard from them you can always use a house phone on the comfort station or hop a bus up front and they will bring it and you back down to your site. 

Or, if you have a golf cart, you can go an pick it up yourself.

TCD

Thanks so much for all your replies and welcomes :). It sounds like Fort Wilderness will deliver and pick up luggage from a campsite, then? I intend to request loop 1500, BTW.

My husband and I will actually have our luggage in tow on DME. To avoid a red-eye, we are flying in a day early and staying at the MCO Hyatt. My mom will fly in the next day - DME will fetch her luggage for her.

Another question: Can we do Trail's End breakfast without an ADR? I booked a reservation for our last morning, but I want to cancel it because I think the logistics of coordinating checkout with the rental company will cause us to miss our time. It'd be great if we could walk up and get seated!

We've eaten breakfast at TE numerous times and have never made an ADR unless we have a large group.  Unless you're going to be there on a holiday, I think you will be okay.

I agree with Gwen- TE is never completely full, except maybe around Thanksgiving/Christmas and possibly Easter.

We just ate breakfast there on the 4th of July (which was on a Saturday this year), and there were quite a few open tables.

This is breakfast only- they do seem pretty busy at dinner time.

TCD

Uber is a touchy subject at present.

Mears Transportation enjoys what is close to a monopoly on WDW property, and doesn't want any competition.

But, Uber is there.  Here's a pretty good blog article about it: http://www.disneytouristblog.com/uber-disney-world-rental-car/

Short answer- yes you can use Uber.  But, you need to be discreet.

I found some of the comments on that blog article to be very interesting.  I wondered how the drivers get in to the resorts, and it turns out that many of them are WDW CM's or AP holders.  That works.

TCD

Thanks for the info. We wanted to use Uber for a for a grocery store run. Pretty sure Mears doesn't offer that service. ;) or do they have a monopoly on taxis? What would a taxi do BTW? Would we have to meet the taxi at the main gate? May just end up ordering a delivery from Whole Foods, but of course, that raises the question "Can a delivery service bring an order to a campsite?"

My question is, do any of the LBV/Orlando area Wal-Marts have the order online/pickup in the parking lot services yet??

We have that at home and it is AWESOME. Order your groceries online, schedule a pickup time, drive to the parking lot, hit the button, and they bring your groceries to your car and load them!

The time driving TO Wal-Mart is not so bad, it's wandering the unfamiliar store (with lots of non-English) that eats all the time.