I homeschool so anything educational is doubly appreciated :)  And if it's free... well, that is ALWAYS awesome ;)

Thanks Fiends!!

Nacole,

We also homeschool. We have used One Man's Dream to kick start Walt Disney projects for our kids.  We know that "museum" pretty well now so I develop a project ahead of time. 

Back when my oldest was in PS she did a wax museum project where she had to make a timeline with 5 points on it, write a paragraph about the life of the person and then dress as that person and be able to read the paragraph to the guests at the wax museum.  She knew so much from our trips through this A/C break from the crowds that the project was easy and fun.

It started a trend for us. What used to be just interesting for us grownups and a break for the kids has become a family tradition with deeper learning each time.  I loved hearing my kids proclaim when they saw Saving Mr. Banks that Tom Hanks must have watched the video at the end of One Man's Dream to get the character right when he talked about delivering newspapers.  Gotta love that attention to detail in a kid.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stall #2 is good for 15 or 20 minutes.  Bring a newspaper.  

Here's a timely article. Interesting to note that a bunch of these are at the Fort! 8)

Top 10 Secret (or Lesser Known) Walt Disney World Activities

http://www.disneydining.com/top-10-secret-lesser-known-walt-disney-world-activities/

I knew all 10.

Are the only resorts that offer tours WL & AKL?

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a lazy afternoon to kill, head over to Port Orleans Riverside and catch a pontoon boat ride over to Downtown Disney and back... This is always a relaxing boat ride for us...

If you have a lazy afternoon to kill, head over to Port Orleans Riverside and catch a pontoon boat ride over to Downtown Disney and back... This is always a relaxing boat ride for us...

You know... I had forgotten about that one!  We did that several years ago; I think it's time for another trip!!  Thanks :)

Hmmm... our daughter would love that.  I may have to try and work that into the budget for one of our trips over the 12 month pass.

Unless you want to stay there, viewing the animals at night with the night vision goggles is FREE.

See this article I found

http://disneyways.com/2013/04/04/world-secrets-wild-and-free-nights-at-animal-kingdom-lodge/

Unless you want to stay there, viewing the animals at night with the night vision goggles is FREE.

See this article I found

http://disneyways.com/2013/04/04/world-secrets-wild-and-free-nights-at-animal-kingdom-lodge/

Yep - we did it last year.  We'd gone to Sanaa for dinner and one of the viewing locations is right near the restaurant.  Very cool!

• 1 month later...

Okay... we are officially under one month until we arrive back home at the Fort  :dance:

I'm making my "lists" (packing: clothes and food, itinerary and the "ideas" list).  Question on the path/trail from the Fort to the Lodge (can you believe that we've never done this??)... can we ride our bikes?  If so, is it uphill?

I recall seeing something about the nature trail between the Fort and Lodge closing in early October but the paved jogging path will still be open. The jogging path is 2.5 miles between the two resorts. Florida being relatively flat I don't think there will be any hills to be concerned with.

The nature trail is an unpaved trail that runs along Bay Lake and takes you to the marina at Wilderness Lodge. It is going to be shut down when they start working on the new DVC additions to the Lodge.  I marked it with my purple crayon on the map.

wl%20path_zpsjq3cunlv.jpg

The exercise path borders the south side of Wilderness Way, which is highlighted in blue above. It is .8 miles from the FW barn to the Lodge bus stops.  It's not 2.5 miles- even round trip. 

The path is paved and flat. It's great for biking.  The only issue for a child may be the distance.

TCD

This is the most recent info I've seen on closure of the nature trail...

There are multiple construction projects ongoing. Daily construction will not begin until after 9am. Some pathways including the nature trail, will be closed.

October 2, 2015 through 2017 (no date available)

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/14660-refurbishment-updates/?p=463203

The exercise path borders the south side of Wilderness Way, which is highlighted in blue above. It is .8 miles from the FW barn to the Lodge bus stops.  It's not 2.5 miles- even round trip. 

The path is paved and flat. It's great for biking.  The only issue for a child may be the distance.

TCD

I was basing the distance on what Disney had listed for it.

"Enjoy a 2.5-mile-long pathway through Resort grounds. For a quick jaunt or to extend your workout, explore the 0.75-mile shaded fitness trail and bike path that connects Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground."

I was basing the distance on what Disney had listed for it.

"Enjoy a 2.5-mile-long pathway through Resort grounds. For a quick jaunt or to extend your workout, explore the 0.75-mile shaded fitness trail and bike path that connects Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground."

As with a lot of things Disney posts on its website, this is unclear and incorrect.  They have a sign posted down by the Settlement playground that depicts a 2.5 mile jogging trail.  That map includes the path between Fort Wilderness and the Lodge.

This description you're quoting makes it sound like there's a 2.5 mile pathway in the Fort Wilderness resort which can be extended by running the .75 mile shaded fitness trail and bike path.  That .75 mile path is the exercise path I marked in my photo above (I measured it from the barn to the WL bus stop).

The map they have posted at the Settlement suggests that you run along the sidewalks bordering the main Fort Wilderness roads, there is no "pathway" as the quoted language suggests.

TCD

This description you're quoting makes it sound like there's a 2.5 mile pathway in the Fort Wilderness resort which can be extended by running the .75 mile shaded fitness trail and bike path.  That .75 mile path is the exercise path I marked in my photo above (I measured it from the barn to the WL bus stop).

TCD

That's they way I read it. Go 2.5 miles and add another .75 miles by taking nature path.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to do the hotels during the holidays. Everyone knows about the gingerbread house at Grand Floridian, but all the hotels have unique decorations. Even the Swan and Dolfin. I can't remember which has what, but one has a huge tree with a large train that goes around it. The other one, the year we went, had a room where the had a life size Santa in a chair , by a fireplace with a tree that had presents and toys all made with over a thousand pounds of chocolate and other confections. Note, unless they have changed, don't drive to the Swan and Doffin because they charge to park. We just walked out the back of the world showcase and walked the loop of all the Epcot resorts.