We are hoping to make several trips to the Fort over our 12 months AP time frame and this next one is a long one (for our family).  We'll be at the Fort about 17 days. So, over this next year I'd like us to see things at WDW that are not the norm for our family.  We've been blessed with many trips to WDW over the past 10 years, but we typically do the same things so... different might be nice :)  So many of you make comments about activities (especially at Epcot!) or restaurants that I've never even heard of; I'd like to make a list of things that we really should try to see/do/eat as we use our annual pass starting this halloween.  

Give me your "must-do's" Fiends.  Keep in mind that our children are 8 and 3 and I am NOT an adventure eater.  I'm looking for tips on parks, resorts and (of course) the Fort.  Also, I homeschool so anything educational is doubly appreciated :)  And if it's free... well, that is ALWAYS awesome ;)

Thanks Fiends!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stall #2 is good for 15 or 20 minutes.  Bring a newspaper.  

I really liked the Behind the Seeds tour. It's not very expensive. Z was the only kid, so he got to be the volunteer for everything and enjoyed it too. 

I've heard there's a free, educational culinary tour at AKL. I also think there's a free tour at WL. I've never done them, but they'd be something different. 

AK Lodge has lots of kids activities. Majority are free.

Go to the front desk and ask for the daily activities calendar.

Grandkids have done cookie decorating, brass rubbings, face painting, coloring.

They were picked as Ambassadors of the Day.

There is a clubhouse type of room, they have all kinds of self paced activities, video games, movies. They do have some charge craftsand comfortable chairs for adults.

They have campfires at night and they supply the sticks and marshmallows

Just remember they have 2 lodges and the activities are at both of them.

Resort hopping.  Especially to AK.

Yep... we love resort hopping! :)

Have your kids done the passport thing at Epcot? My 7yo and 12yo really liked that our last trip. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm... I don't think so.  We did something where you went around to different stations and colored stuff?   I did do a thing at the AK with our daughter (who was 7 at the time); we went from station to station and learned some interesting things.  That was fun :)

I really liked the Behind the Seeds tour. It's not very expensive. Z was the only kid, so he got to be the volunteer for everything and enjoyed it too. 

I've heard there's a free, educational culinary tour at AKL. I also think there's a free tour at WL. I've never done them, but they'd be something different. 

Thanks!!

AK Lodge has lots of kids activities. Majority are free.

Go to the front desk and ask for the daily activities calendar.

Grandkids have done cookie decorating, brass rubbings, face painting, coloring.

They were picked as Ambassadors of the Day.

There is a clubhouse type of room, they have all kinds of self paced activities, video games, movies. They do have some charge craftsand comfortable chairs for adults.

They have campfires at night and they supply the sticks and marshmallows

Just remember they have 2 lodges and the activities are at both of them.

Great reminder!!  I've heard that the AKL does some really neat kids activities.  We'll definitely pick up a list calendar!!

EPCOT has/had this.  They change the characters and hunt every once in a while so you might want to check to see if it's up and running.

My granddaughter did hers around Great Britain.  I think they have 3 locations.

Agent P’s World Showcase Adventure  – Handheld scavenger hunt through World Showcase via fake phones. This makes the list for its value in keeping kids entertained while adults explore World Showcase. We think the game itself is fairly enjoyable even for adults, but it’s a must-do for kids in an area of the parks largely devoid of things for them to do.

The coloring stuff at EPCOT is you go to 1 country and you get a figure on a stick to color.  One time was a Japanese/Chinese mask.  Another time was Duffy.  After they color it, you go to every country, seek out the booth (usually kind of hidden so you get to look around the shops),  they get a stamp, and usually they will write the childs name in the countrys language.

If you during food and wine, I think the adults get a drink passport.

Lots of great suggestions so far!

I loved the Behind the Seeds Tour also, and might actually do it again this year.

If you're going to resort hop (always fun) each resort has a monthly activities calendar similar to the Fort - although some have more going on than others. They don't come out until a little bit before the end of the previous month, but if there are any you're interested in, let me know which and when and I'll try and get my hands on them for you.  :)

Totally agree with spending some time at AKL.  In addition to the activities, if you're there in the evening you can go out to their safari viewing areas and borrow night vision goggles, which is pretty cool.

If you're not afraid of heights, the Characters in Flight balloon ride at Downtown Disney is relatively inexpensive and on a nice, clear day you can get some awesome views from up there.

A fun, free activity I've seen other folks do is the "hat tour" of World Showcase - take a photo in each country with a different hat.  I'm not sure if every country has one, but I'd guess that most do.

There's a walking tour of the Morocco pavilion that runs daily and is free.

If the adults like wine, there's the Wine Walk at Epcot, which is not terribly expensive and a pretty good value for what you get...

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/14947-epcot-wine-walk/

We rented a pontoon boat for an hour and cruised all around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon.  Bring drinks and snacks. We also spent an afternoon cruising on Disney's transportation boats too and that of course is free. Take a boat to MK and catch a bus to Port Orleans Riverside and catch the boat to Disney Springs. If you have never seen him check out Bob. His show is free if you don't count the drinks and snacks you buy at the bar. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Mxhiw7aFo

There's also the dueling pianos at Jellyrolls over at the Boardwalk... which hopefully we'll finally get to do this year.

Disney website info page

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/boardwalk/jellyrolls/

Jellyrolls Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/jellyrollswdw

The Boardwalk is a fun place. We've gone in the late afternoon for the kitchen sink over at Beaches and Cream and then rented a surrey bike to work it off.

Then once the sun goes down they have performers and some games set up. It's a fun atmosphere.

Hat tour gives me the willies. Hello live.

Agreed-  The willies is a good word for it.  When our kids were young, my youngest got head lice from a hat that she tried on.  A real PIA to get rid of them dang things.  And of course she had/ still has thick long hair.  So I stay far far away from trying hats on for fun.  Bad enough I try on a few when I'm buying but never for fun.