What do I need to know if this tropical storm becomes a hurricane and comes to shore and effects Orlando?  I've seen a few predictions and only a couple show it not effecting Florida.  Can anyone share previous experiences with me?  I live in a Michigan, we have thunderstorms, snow, and an occasion tornado.  This is new for us! ;-)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The article skipped what happens at Fort Wilderness.   We were there for Hurricane Floyd in September, 1999.   It was just before I bought the TCD pop-up.  I actually rented a pop-up camper for this t

Running joke in our house is if we ever see Jim Cantore drive up, we are grabbing our Bail Out Bags an getting out of town as fast as possible.

what he should do is fed-ex me the keys with $100 beer money... Ill put the shutters on and take pics to prove i did the work

I was at the fort many years ago when Wilma hit. I actually left the day before they evacuated the fort. I will say that the pre hurricane weather was beautiful. I understand that they took the campers and parked them all tight in a vacant parking lot. The people were put up in various hotels on property. That's all I know and it is second hand info.

... I understand that they took the campers and parked them all tight in a vacant parking lot. The people were put up in various hotels on property. That's all I know and it is second hand info.

We have friends that were at the Fort during a hurricane (I forget which) and this was their experience was also.

A lot depends upon what it is like by the time it reaches Florida. If it is still pretty strong, having been through a few hurricanes, I definitely would try to go someplace safe and out of the predicted path. Even a severely weakened storm can dump a lot of rain and have heavy winds so I would make leaving early part of the plan and pay close attention to the local weather reports and predictions. 

What do they do with the campers that bring pets?  Do they allow the guests to take their pets to the hotel rooms too?

During the year of the hurricanes, we stayed at WDW hotels and I saw all sizes of dogs and a big bird cage with a parrot type bird in it.  Maybe they are not so strict during those times.  Don't know what they do now.

The big danger at the Fort is the trees. That area I still a mess between the Fort and WL from a hurricane. The last place I want to be is around tall trees in a hurricane.

If a hurricane is headed for WDW, the best thing to do is pack up and head either north or south. I have been through several hurricanes and would not want to stay in a trailer in one. Last time one came through here we had several families come to stay with us. They lived in a house trailer and a blockhouse sounded like a better place to sit it out.

A timely article...

5 Things That Happen When a Hurricane Heads for Walt Disney World

Submitted by

Amanda Kondolojy on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 23:42

http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20150826/30511/5-things-happen-when-hurricane-heads-walt-disney-world

Interesting article. Hope I never need to find out about Disney and hurricanes lol

I dont worry  unless i know the eye is passing within 100 miles of my home, a camper I would worry if they were estimating 300 miles between where i am and the eye.

the thing about hurricanes is they can be really wide over 1000 miles in some instances, however the strongest winds are near the eye and typically dont extend out too far.

just pay attention to the weather reports and if things look bad, but they have not told you to move yet, start moving its better to be ready to go and not need to move than be told to go and still have to pack up.

A timely article...

5 Things That Happen When a Hurricane Heads for Walt Disney World

Submitted by Amanda Kondolojy on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 23:42

http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20150826/30511/5-things-happen-when-hurricane-heads-walt-disney-world

Interesting article. Hope I never need to find out about Disney and hurricanes lol

The article skipped what happens at Fort Wilderness.

We were there for Hurricane Floyd in September, 1999.

It was just before I bought the TCD pop-up.  I actually rented a pop-up camper for this trip to see how we liked it.

I remember that for some reason, we arrived after dark the first night, and did a very basic set-up, with the plan that I would finish the set-up the next day.

Well, the next day, we were already being hit by some of the outer bands of the storm, and it rained all morning.

Late in the morning, we all got a letter from the Fort telling us that they were going to shut down the campground, and we had to pack up and leave.  We had the choice of getting a refund, or going to Port Orleans and staying in a room- no extra charge.

I didn't want to pack-up.

We were camping with some friends, and they had a pop-up too.

We started drinking early that day, and the other dad and I got the idea that we wouldn't pack-up and leave, and see what would happen.  It seemed like a good idea after a few beers.

We were on Little Bear, and kind of secluded.

We watched as all of our neighbors packed up and left.  Somewhere in there, a Fort security guard came around and asked us if we knew we had to go.  We said we were working on it, but we really weren't.

Finally, we were the last ones on our loop.

The rain kept up, but there was no wind yet, and we were feeling proud of ourselves.

But, then two security guards showed up and said we had to go.  And "no" wasn't an option.

So, we packed up our wet campers, and headed over to Port Orleans.

They gave us a room there.

But there was nothing to do.  The parks were closed.  I remember that the food court was a zoo.  It really wasn't a lot of fun.  And, yes, there were pets everywhere.

That night, we decided we'd head home in the morning.  We hadn't prepared anything at home for the storm, and no one knew where it was heading.  We didn't want to get trapped at Disney World.  So, we headed home in the morning. 

Our friends stayed. They reopened the Fort that afternoon, and they finished out their trip.

All in all, Disney handled this very well.  But, it was a major pain.

One thing that surprised me then, and still surprises me now, is that they had enough vacant rooms to accommodate everyone who needed to evacuate from the Fort.  And that included all the cabin folks too-they also had to evacuate.  I think that Disney purposely holds large blocks of rooms for this very purpose.

TCD

Great to know all of this just in case so thanks for sharing.  While I do not have experience of staying at the Fort during a hurricane we did experience a TS on our Disney cruise.

We took a Disney Cruise years ago and coupled it with a few days at the park, but Tropical Storm Rita was forming east of the Bahamas.  As a result our first day was spent at sea to avoid the storm and like others have siad the weather was amazingly beautiful.  That night the ship turned behind the storm and went to Nassau a little late on the 2nd day.  We spent the next day at Castaway Cay with only a few showers.  By the end of the 4 day cruise everything had passed over FL except for a few showers here and there.  Once we got off the ship we headed over to Disney and found that the park was essentialy empty since alot of people had cancelled/changed their reservations due to the storm.  This was an unexpected surprise.  If you can work it out timing wise to arrive after everything has passed (assuming it was not bad) you can almost have the park to your self.  We walked on almost every ride with no wait.

Good luck for those travelling and of course stay safe.  

We were at All-Stars for Jean. Fortunately, we never lost power, but the resort public areas were swamped with people and water. It came through pretty early one morning, and we wandered all three resorts watching the tree crews clean up the rest of the day. All the pool decks were flooded over. Back to normal the next day.

While I can't speak on what it is like at Disney during a hurricane, I can tell you that CS was very accommodating for last minute cancellations due to inclement weather.  On September 25th, 2004 I was on the phone with them around midnight cancelling our honeymoon plans (the next day) due to hurricane Jeanne.  Full refund for everything.

We drove to Charleston, SC instead (the only place we could go from TN and avoid the storm) and stayed at the Governors House Inn for a few days.

Not too shabby.

We were at All-Stars for Jean. Fortunately, we never lost power, but the resort public areas were swamped with people and water. It came through pretty early one morning, and we wandered all three resorts watching the tree crews clean up the rest of the day. All the pool decks were flooded over. Back to normal the next day.

Ugg.  I hated Hurricane Jeanne.

I was up north trying to get home when I found out that my flight to Tampa was cancelled.  All flights into Florida were cancelled.

I needed to get home, so I had to fly to Charlotte, rent a car, and drive.  I came down 95, and ended up driving across the state on I-4 right after the storm.  I was the only one on the road.  I think the road may have been officially closed, but no one stopped me.

We got it pretty bad at home- our power was out for a week, and my yard was a mess.  That was awful.

TCD

slightly related, my parents are currently on Carnival Conquest, the have totally changed the itinerary, they were to be in St Kitts yesterday and San Juan today, however they skipped St Martin on Tuesday, docked at San Juan till yesterday after noon, skipped St Kitts, and are now Docked in Grand Turk

They are due to get off the ship Monday in Ft Lauderdale, however I believe they will be docking Sunday vs Monday