OTPN posted this to FB. Any ideas??

Spotted along the shores of the Seven Seas Lagoon, next to Disney's Grand Floridian Resort. What is it?:

12107751_1228459260504605_27698181059043

12108794_1228459343837930_82031746719336

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1228459410504590&id=139138469436695

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Easy. Pixie dust launcher. That's how they put the Magic in the Magic Kingdom :)

hmm little digging on Google earth shows this The span in the orange is 100 ft, the width of the canal is the red circle is 75 feet and the purple circle is where they are working, could they be makin

That looks like where they went Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I was talking with one of the captains a couple weeks ago, he told me they were doing some reinforcing around the water bridge and that those they were told were going to go near or around the legs of the monorail track that are in the water. Sorta like bumpers. By the contemporary / water bridge.

Supposedly there have been a couple of close calls with the boats and monorail legs.

At least that's what I was told, who knows if it's the truth or just speculation on their part as well.

I have seen those used, as a form for a structure/ dock/ mooring point

they put them upright in the water, pound it down a few feet in the the ground, pump the water out and replace with concrete

if its only temporary they just leave the water in and don't replace with concrete and do what they need to do till its removed.

Its easier to do 1 large support and use 6-8 smaller ones in terms of time to install 

hmm little digging on Google earth shows this

The span in the orange is 100 ft, the width of the canal is the red circle is 75 feet

and the purple circle is where they are working, could they be making a bridge to connect the Grand floridan to MK via the walk way that already exists?

12091325_10101216801003165_7088983002582

That would be awesome! The original intent of the stones that folks could purchase was to go all the way around the lagoon, but they never bridged that last span.

It would have to be a pretty high bridge though as the electrical Water Pageant is stored in that canal..... and I "think" that's how they they get the MK steamboats to dry dock.

That would be awesome! The original intent of the stones that folks could purchase was to go all the way around the lagoon, but they never bridged that last span.

It would have to be a pretty high bridge though as the electrical Water Pageant is stored in that canal..... and I "think" that's how they they get the MK steamboats to dry dock.

look at the shiny part of the tube, what appears to be painted, compare to the width of the pontoon boat.  the boat is 8 feet wide at minimum, and that painted section to be at least 1.5 - 2x so if its 2x that means its going to be 16 feet above the water, where as 1.5 puts it at 12 feet

do you think that would be enough to clear the parts?

I have seen those used, as a form for a structure/ dock/ mooring point

they put them upright in the water, pound it down a few feet in the the ground, pump the water out and replace with concrete

if its only temporary they just leave the water in and don't replace with concrete and do what they need to do till its removed.

Its easier to do 1 large support and use 6-8 smaller ones in terms of time to install

It does look like a casson used for pouring cement in water, but if they are installing them there, why use that barge when the crane is right there? Is the barge going to float it somewhere else then drop it?

It does look like a casson used for pouring cement in water, but if they are installing them there, why use that barge when the crane is right there? Is the barge going to float it somewhere else then drop it?

the barge should move it somewhere, its just loading it up

Great job on the photos Kristie - thanks!!

That would be very cool.

... and I "think" that's how they they get the MK steamboats to dry dock.

You're right - it is.

and I "think" that's how they they get the MK steamboats to dry dock.

I did some research on that, they actual use a system called the Syncrolift https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxWs486is5g 

The dry dock is located on the North East Corner of MK

here is one of the ferry's in the dry dock location back there, Pic from this site http://www.wcdept478.com/AbouttheFB.htm

Alb6_KQueen01b.jpg

when looking at google earth images, you can see the 4 lift motors( 2 are visable in the above pic, and then the track system to pull the ferry off the lift to a more serviceable area

the ferrys are 190 tons, 34'10" wide and  and 120' long with a draft of 5' 6"  at the keel, this is only 2 feet deeper than the motor launch used to service the Fort.

here is an image of the ferry heading that way to refuel or for service 

Magic_Kingdom_Ferry_Water_Bridge_(278930

I did some research on that, they actual use a system called the Syncrolift https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxWs486is5g 

The dry dock is located on the North East Corner of MK

here is one of the ferry's in the dry dock location back there, Pic from this site http://www.wcdept478.com/AbouttheFB.htm

Alb6_KQueen01b.jpg

when looking at google earth images, you can see the 4 lift motors( 2 are visable in the above pic, and then the track system to pull the ferry off the lift to a more serviceable area

the ferrys are 190 tons, 34'10" wide and  and 120' long with a draft of 5' 6"  at the keel, this is only 2 feet deeper than the motor launch used to service the Fort.

here is an image of the ferry heading that way to refuel or for service 

Magic_Kingdom_Ferry_Water_Bridge_(278930

When she said the steamboat though I think she meant the Liberty Square Riverboat aka the Liberty Belle. There is an exit for that boat over by Big Thunder Mountain that then winds its way around and out over at the gap where they park the EWP. before making its way over to where the Ferry Boats park and dry dock. 

There's no way for the liberty bell to make it to bay lake. There are a series of bridges along that canal that the boat will not fit under and they are not draw bridges, one of which is the train bridge. Also the canal narrows significantly at one point making it narrower than the width of the boat. Not to mention the two dams used to regulate the water levels in the rivers of America. Oh, and the liberty belle is on a track.

There's no way for the liberty bell to make it to bay lake. There are a series of bridges along that canal that the boat will not fit under and they are not draw bridges, one of which is the train bridge. Also the canal narrows significantly at one point making it narrower than the width of the boat. Not to mention the two dams used to regulate the water levels in the rivers of America. Oh, and the liberty belle is on a track.

I will take your word on it Devores. Where do they bring it when they need to dry dock it for repairs though? It must need maintenance once in a while.