I thought it was towed when it went to dry dock and from google earth it really does appear to be a drawbridge there. 

12080143_10206329980541489_2417780417484

I am not sure about this train bridge though. It looks like it might be a swing bridge style. We have one near my house. 

12138511_10206329980581490_8608150968245

Other than those there are no obstructions in the way for towing it out. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Easy. Pixie dust launcher. That's how they put the Magic in the Magic Kingdom :)

hmm little digging on Google earth shows this The span in the orange is 100 ft, the width of the canal is the red circle is 75 feet and the purple circle is where they are working, could they be makin

That looks like where they went Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'll take Dave's word for it too....he'd certainly know more about the topic than me.  I was just confused because I thought I'd seen a picture of it being towed across the water bridge a few years ago.  I found the pic....is this the Liberty Belle?

AtNAFhWCAAQTd8A.jpg

I was looking everywhere for that picture. I was sure I had seen it. If its not the Liberty Belle it must be the first ship. The original Robert F. Irvine.

The railroad bridge is a rotary bridge, there looks to be a lock controlling the water level. I found a picture on Google of it down by the locks past the railroad bridge but not sure how to get it on here.

There would be no other way for them to do any maintenance, repairs, or to get boats the size of that in and our of there other than the canal out to 7 seas.

I was looking everywhere for that picture. I was sure I had seen it. If its not the Liberty Belle it must be the first ship. The original Robert F. Irvine.

I believe the Irvine and Belle are the same, name was changed after they updated her. There was also the Admiral Fowler, which was the first one (rumors are it was damaged in drydock and retired). From what I've read they both ran for awhile.

I believe the Irvine and Belle are the same, name was changed after they updated her. There was also the Admiral Fowler, which was the first one (rumors are it was damaged in drydock and retired). From what I've read they both ran for awhile.

I think your right on the names. I am really bad with names. 

I'll take Dave's word for it too....he'd certainly know more about the topic than me. I was just confused because I thought I'd seen a picture of it being towed across the water bridge a few years ago. I found the pic....is this the Liberty Belle?

AtNAFhWCAAQTd8A.jpg

It surprises me they did it during the day though. Unless maybe that's back in the canal and they waited till after hours to tow it across the lakes.

Cool info and pics - thanks for sharing. :)

I can't imagine being in one of the little sea raycers when that goes by!

When the big ferry boat goes through by the Contemporary, they block all sea raycer traffic from entering the channel. I was actually on a sea raycer one afternoon when the ferry was coming through, and the "water patrol" boats were directing all sea raycers to head in different directions until the ferry was through.

I think your right on the names. I am really bad with names. 

In 1980 the Admiral Joe Fowler was moved back stage to the Disney World drydock for routine maintenance, but never returned to the Magic Kingdom.  While Disney never official said what happened to the ship, it is believed that the ships hull was cracked either while being lifted by a crane or because it was not placed properly within the dock when the water was removed.  Some parts of the ship were reused.  The ship's machinery was sent to Tokyo Disneyland and became part of its Mark Twain riverboat. And the ship's whistle is now part of the Magic Kingdom's #4 Train Engine, the Roy O. Disney. The loss of the Admiral Joe Fowler left the park with just one steamboat.  

In 1996 the Richard F. Irvine was removed from the Rivers of America for repairs. While in drydock an all-new superstructure made of aluminum and vinyl was installed. On its return, the ship was re-christened the Liberty Belle. This name change helped the ship fit better into Liberty Square and was easier to remember.  The former stramboats' names were not forgotten though.  Two of the Ticket and Transportation Center ferries now bare the names Admiral Joe Fowler and Richard F. Irvine.

from http://www.disneyparkhistory.com/liberty-belle.html

Man, there are some short memories here.

We talked about this just over three years ago, when the Liberty Belle was, in fact, taken across the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake and back for a refurbishment:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/5199-liberty-square-riverboat-another-refurb-in-august/?hl=riverboat

As for the latest construction activity, that area was used as the staging area for the construction of the new ferry boat dock at the MK, and those items are likely going to be moved by the barge to their new location, wherever that may be.  Protecting the monorail supports makes sense.

TCD

Protecting the monorail supports makes sense.

TCD

I am not so sure on that, I am no expert here....

there are only 2 supports that boat traffic would come near, big boats that is....

one by the contemporary 

12068575_10101218304016115_7061986945314

and one by the Canal 

11061694_10101218304465215_7727861423488

as you can see both already have protection in place

now if they are redoing it because one or both have had an impact then yes... but there is the area along the shoreline that has 5-7 supports in very shallow water not where a big boat would ever be...

We will just have to wait and see what this becomes 

I am not so sure on that, I am no expert here....

there are only 2 supports that boat traffic would come near, big boats that is....

one by the contemporary 

12068575_10101218304016115_7061986945314

and one by the Canal 

11061694_10101218304465215_7727861423488

as you can see both already have protection in place

now if they are redoing it because one or both have had an impact then yes... but there is the area along the shoreline that has 5-7 supports in very shallow water not where a big boat would ever be...

We will just have to wait and see what this becomes 

Yup.  There are barriers there now. 

As there are at the entrances to the water bridge. 

These new items could be replacements for some of the old barriers.  Or, they could be for somewhere around the MK ferry docks.

I don't think anything exciting is about to happen.

TCD

These new items could be replacements for some of the old barriers.  Or, they could be for somewhere around the MK ferry docks.

TCD

TCD

I was told replacing / beefing up the ones by the Contemporary, they were aslo adding some rocks and doing other work to the barriers on both sides of the water bridge.

Im horrible at remembering to take pictures of things like thay when Im there.

Guess we'll find out for sure around Halloween, with so many fiends on the scene someone should be able to remember to take pictures.

TCD

TCD

I was told replacing / beefing up the ones by the Contemporary, they were aslo adding some rocks and doing other work to the barriers on both sides of the water bridge.

Im horrible at remembering to take pictures of things like thay when Im there.

Guess we'll find out for sure around Halloween, with so many fiends on the scene someone should be able to remember to take pictures.

You think any of the Fiends there over Halloween will be able to hold a camera steady?