The wife and i had an argu..I mean discussion on our Camping equipment.

being new to ownership, I am outfitting the unit with everything.

My theory is if i buy a pot/ pan/ utensil/ towel  for the camper and it stays in the camper I cant forget it

She feels we can bring things from home that we already own/ that were hand me downs

we used some of the hand-me down stuff and well the flipper melted while making pancakes, so i tossed the nylon utensils in favor of my most loved kitchen brand OXO silicone 
I know I could get cheaper stuff, but I realize that if you buy quality the first time it typically ends up being cheaper in the long run as im not replacing it with the better brand down the road when it fails.

We have 2 kids, and in the chaos of packing I know we will forget something, and that in turn will cause me to buy it while we are camping.

what do some of you do?

We already owned:

Keurig coffee maker, and that was not in use so it to the camper it went, 9 single cup that we upgraded to a grind and brew as we each dring 2-3 cups a day and the k- cups were getting expense 

Coleman 2 burner portable stove

Coleman Lanterns X3 2 battery 1 gas

Hand-me Down Knife set with storage rack for Camper

Engel cooler

Currently for the camp kitchen I have purchased the following for about $80

8 inch pan $20

12 inch pan $20

measuring cups $9

measuring spoons $4

medium flipper $9

large pancake flipper $0 (bogo)

Tongs $9 

Whisk $9

I am looking to still get

grill/ griddle like a Lodge cast iron one $40 to fit on the Coleman stove we own

mixing bowl set $20-$30- pancakes!  who doesn't  want a pancake breakfast ( wife said we can get the just add water style that you can pour out of the bottle)

a longer set of tongs $10- the tongs i got were 9 inch, and while they will work, 12 inch would be more ideal

Id like a Weber Q $199- this is a wish/ dream item, not really needed

Sheets for the camper- unknown cost as i am still looking

Towels for the camper- unknown cost as i am still  looking

I have already gotten all the Camper stuff for the exterior, stuff we didn't get has hand me downs/ and is specific to our camper

water hoses, leveler, toilet chemicals, chairs ect ect

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Im with you on having the trailer stocked with its own stuff. It makes it much easier when it comes time to load and unload. Some our stuff was extras from around the house, garage sale finds, or boug

Im with you on having the trailer stocked with its own stuff. It makes it much easier when it comes time to load and unload. Some our stuff was extras from around the house, garage sale finds, or boug

Count us among the separate equipment for camping group. Before we bought our PUP we had already equipped ourselves with a lot of basics for when we did our tent camping road trip. We ended up updatin

We keep our camper fully stocked other than clothes and food.  So I guess I agree with you.  Yes, there were some initial investments when we first started camping, but many of those kitchen items have been moved from camper to camper for over a decade now.  Like you mentioned, in some cases we already owned an "extra" of something, like a coffee maker, so those just moved into the camper.  Where it made sense we bought cheap at Walmart....like mixing bowls for instance.  I didn't figure those needed to be top quality.  But a frying pan might want to be at least mid-range quality.  For cooking pans and utensils I think we found decent stuff at TJ Maxx.

Sheets and towels are items where we just designated extras from home....we never bought RV-specific sheets.  Sure those mattresses are a bit different sized, but we just tuck a bit more.  The RV ones can be pricey and really aren't necessary IMO.  The ones we use stay in the camper now...they get washed after trips and then go right back in.  Same with towels.  

Overall, we feel it's worthwhile because we are too busy to stock all of those items ahead of every trip or weekend we go out.  We'd probably use the RV less if packing up and going were more complicated.  It's enough just to have to pack the clothes and food for everyone.  

Amazon and Kohls are my go to stores

The pans are Calphalon Stainless Steel, they were marked down from $80 to $40 and well my mom is a big kohls shopper and had given me $40 in kohls cash, so they were free!

All the other stuff so far is OXO, I got stuff from that company years ago and use it daily and it sill works, why find another brand when this one works soo well and that all came from amazon with 3% cash back

I hear you on the mixing bowls, cant really screw that up 

I am holding off on the soft goods, as our Home Goods store is moving 5 miles to a new location, and I am looking to score some big deals on the sheets and towels

We've had all the cooking essentials including spices oil, and nonperishable food in every RV we've ever owned. Only removed the food when we winterized. Even had most of our clothes in there over the last 10-15 years.

I have 4 trips planned over the next 12 months, 3 Disney and 1 beach, but who knows when the spur of the moment trip will happen, having the unit loaded makes those easier to manage... 
you keep spices in there?  I didn't event think of spices other than salt and pepper, I use season so much its a grocery item weekly in my house

I make my own rubs for chicken and ribs so if i am meal planning for the trips I typically would season the food before packing

We used extra stuff we had for a lot of the pots, pans, silverware, etc. $20-$30 for mixing bowls seems like a lot to spend. We just went out and bought an everyday plastic nesting set that had covers for about $10 and they work great. They also have a pouring lip so makes getting those pancakes into the pan easy. 

Since we have lot's of plastic tubs we re-purposed three of them for food. Two stack together in the kitchen floor cabinet and one goes under the dinette seating. They make it nice for quick loading and unloaded and also help keep the critters away. 

For appliances we bought an inexpensive toaster and a small electric coffee maker for the wife. I also through an extra BBQ set I had into the trailer. Since we use the trailer pretty much year round we also picked a small electric fan and an electric heater. The fan can be clipped on or use a table base. We like the electric heater as it saves LP but is also a lot quieter than the gas furnace. 

Even though we have a built in stovetop I still carry a Coleman stove and lantern. There are some things I just don't want to cook in the trailer due to the smell or the mess and use the Coleman for that. It also comes in handy if we run out of LP around meal time. We had that happen once and learned from it after having to do everything in the microwave.

We keep a full set of towels and linens in the trailer. It also has its own cleaning supplies and tools. For anything that will freeze over winter we have plastic boxes they sit in in the shelves that we can grab and bring in and out when we get ready for a trip. Lastly I have a full set of tools that cover everything I might need for the trailer. Things loosen or break and this lets me fix them and not have to interrupt my trip.

When we first started camping, we used items from home, second-hand items, yard sale finds, etc.  Slowly over time I replaced them with more quality items that stay in the moho.  They only items I carry out from home are clothes and perishable food.

We learned the hard way to be able to pull out quickly.  Many years ago my parents were camping in Myrtle Beach, and we were to go down to meet them the following week.  I was at work one morning and got a call that my father had broken his hip and had to undergo emergency surgery.  Within two hours I drove home, packed up, and we hit the road.  We arrived just before Dad was taken into surgery. 

We keep the camper kitchen fully equipped and still manage to forget things. I think the added hassle of trying to remember kitchen cooking stuff is not worth it. We however don't have mixing bowls (yet) most my pancakes are mixed in a tupperware container.

As far a s the Weber, its a must LOL. The smaller Q series tend to go on clearance at the end of the season at target and lowes. 

Happy Trails. 

We keep the camper kitchen fully equipped and still manage to forget things. I think the added hassle of trying to remember kitchen cooking stuff is not worth it. We however don't have mixing bowls (yet) most my pancakes are mixed in a tupperware container.

As far a s the Weber, its a must LOL. The smaller Q series tend to go on clearance at the end of the season at target and lowes. 

Happy Trails. 

I have been talking to  Kevin Kolman, he is a brand rep/ BBQ master that works for Weber

I recently asked him if they will have a direct response to the new Coleman NXT Voyager, its Coleman grill that already has the LP connection for the RV no adapter needed

Since that market is growing he asked that I send him the info as we discussed it would really be a simple change or an accessory even

Id rather have something from them that's tested and works vs trying to build my own adapter/ connection

We have a tiny pup, so storage is an issue.

We have gotten a lot of stay in the camper items from Goodwill. Just takes patience to find what you want.

Got a microwave, Coleman camp kitchen, heavy reusable plastic utensils, dinnerware, Keurig French press coffee maker, smaller coffee maker with a stainless steel pot, all in one coffee cups with lids that are also measuring cups and bowls (Stanley Brand).

Some items we took from the house, extra knives, cutting board, etc.

Bought some new pots from k-mart to work on an induction cooking plate which I bought off woot.

Wife found a like new Coleman Road Trip grill with griddle and grill plates, pot plate and large tank conversion kit for $75. It also had the fold out stand.

I had extra grilling tools so they are packed also.

these are all dedicated camper items.

We also have 3 heavy duty totes wit assorted items that get tossed in the pick up bed when it's time to camp along with the ice chests.

We are the same way, absolutely everything we need for the camper, stays in the camper, or on a shelf in the garage to be loaded in the truck. We bought mostly Wal-Mart cheap, except for certain items that needed to be tiny sized to fit.

Another thing I have also done, is I have duplicate  cords, chargers/USB hubs, for all of our electronics. (Cell Phones, camera batteries, iPad, computer, etc.) You can get the spare cords cheap enough on ebay. That way I don't have to worry about having chargers for our "stuff"

We also keep a first aid kit and a supply of OTC meds in the camper (sinus, headache, stomach, etc.)

thanks for those replies

my pup being one of the larger ones has ample storage, I have the front trunk filled and its about 20 lbs over the stated limit of 150 Lbs but I found that really is in effort to keep the hitch weight under 300 lbs, so an extra 20 isnt going to hurt my TV

I have not sourced a microwave as of yet, I am not sure of the need for it... then again its another expense if someone convinces me that i need it.

I think that's smart carol to have extra cords for electronics in the camper, and I am tossing in an extra set today just to be safe

My Xterra, the TV, has a first aid kit in it and we purchased 3 more kits, one for home, one for the Honda odyssey and one for the camper so were covered there.

as far as OTC meds, I always travel with those in my "ditty bag"  my wife thought i was crazy to carry all the OTC meds untill she saw what my uncle packs on a cruise we went on with them, hes a Pharmacist and literately paks a tackle box of every med one might need, and has been know to compound his own on the fly as needed.

Im with you on having the trailer stocked with its own stuff. It makes it much easier when it comes time to load and unload. Some our stuff was extras from around the house, garage sale finds, or bought for the trailer. The kitchen I keep stocked with dry foods, spices, mixes and such, then rotate them out when needed.

My suggestion is start out with the basics and add and subtract as you use it. There will be things youll find that you really need and others that you thought you couldnt live without and never use while camping. As you find things you need or wish you had add them, from time to time look through what you have and remove what you havent used. Youll be surpised how much you can hide and forget you have, even in a small camper.

A couple decks of cards or some games your family enjoys is a thing to find a spot for though. Great for rainy days or just relaxing around the site. we keep a cribage board, deck of cards and uno in the trailer.

Im with you on having the trailer stocked with its own stuff. It makes it much easier when it comes time to load and unload. Some our stuff was extras from around the house, garage sale finds, or bought for the trailer. The kitchen I keep stocked with dry foods, spices, mixes and such, then rotate them out when needed.

My suggestion is start out with the basics and add and subtract as you use it. There will be things youll find that you really need and others that you thought you couldnt live without and never use while camping. As you find things you need or wish you had add them, from time to time look through what you have and remove what you havent used. Youll be surpised how much you can hide and forget you have, even in a small camper.

A couple decks of cards or some games your family enjoys is a thing to find a spot for though. Great for rainy days or just relaxing around the site. we keep a cribage board, deck of cards and uno in the trailer.

Also think multi use on things, Tupperware bowls with lids for mixing, tervis tumblers (great for hot or cold beverages), utensils that can be used on the grill as well as with pots and pans.

Most important thing is to enjoy it and remember worse case scenario theres usually a store near by or make fun of improvising till you can get what you're missing.

Count us among the separate equipment for camping group. Before we bought our PUP we had already equipped ourselves with a lot of basics for when we did our tent camping road trip. We ended up updating some of that to better things when we got the pop up and a truck. 

One thing I had at the house that moved over to the camper that I think is very versatile but I never see anyone mention is this 

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-06852-16-Inch-Electric-Skillet/dp/B0007XRTDG/ref=sr_1_17?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1444577767&sr=1-17&keywords=electric+griddle

Thanks to the full range of things it can do I dont have to have several other devices. My grandparents had one when I was growing up and they used it for all sorts of things. In the house with just the two of us I was only using it when I had company over but in the camper I used it all the time. 

Soon as we buy a new camper this is going right back in. And it will probably come to the Fort with us at Christmas

One thing I had at the house that moved over to the camper that I think is very versatile but I never see anyone mention is this 

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-06852-16-Inch-Electric-Skillet/dp/B0007XRTDG/ref=sr_1_17?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1444577767&sr=1-17&keywords=electric+griddle

Have one of those, elect griddle, single elec burner and crock-pot. They are definitely great when cooking for two. Rarely use the stove top.

I'm the one who has to carry everything into the camper. The more duplicates we have, the less I have to carry!

Now, we did buy cheap stuff first and have slowly replaced it with better stuff. But even with the amount of camping we did (each year: 50, 50, 100 nights), I don't think I would change and have ran out to buy good stuff right out of the gate.

Now that it is home, it's a different story.

Believe it or not, we carry 2 electric griddles. One like you show for things with liquid in them (a breakfast "casserole" is one of our favorites) and a flat one for things like pancakes.

We also carry a crock-pot that wife is thinking of replacing with an Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker).

We do use the stove often, but almost never the oven as it heats the camper up too much.

*Terrible internet = double post.

I would have blamed it on all of those time zones you've been traveling through.

It's getting confusing. On Monday or Tuesday, we'll make it to Pacific time (Vegas) for 2 weeks. Then we'll fly back home to the east coast for 2 weeks. Once the new year rolls around, we'll make a run back to Florida by February.

Thanks for the advice, I am gonna pass on the electric griddle as I carry the Coleman stove

and for the price of the griddle i can get the lodge cast iron one. its a pop up, so not as much storage as some of you have

Once I upgrade the TV from an SUV to a Truck, I then can bring my smoker!  wont need a crock pot as anything i can do in a crockpot i can do better on my smoker  :EvilPlan: