c5b9be5f3f766cb397de14f2a1a58915.jpg

Here is the permit for the unmanned equipment shelter for AT&T

Work started around the end of July and would line up with a run date of November when you consider install and testing and inspection all in 90 days of work before go live

Again it's all speculation on my part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Antennas are being installed and wired. They are different from most, antennas on top and bottom.

Here's a picture of the WiFi equipment being installed on site 1422 a few minutes ago. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They've had Wi Fi in the cabins and at the Meadow for a long time! So yup, they have Wi Fi and met their Monday deadline!

Posted Images

c5b9be5f3f766cb397de14f2a1a58915.jpg Here is the permit for the unmanned equipment shelter for AT&T Work started around the end of July and would line up with a run date of November when you consider install and testing and inspection all in 90 days of work before go live Again it's all speculation on my part Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That appears to be for wireless phone service not a WiFi network. While I  don't know the laws down there in Florida in most areas of the country you could install a WiFi network on private property without having to pull any permits.

c5b9be5f3f766cb397de14f2a1a58915.jpg Here is the permit for the unmanned equipment shelter for AT&T Work started around the end of July and would line up with a run date of November when you consider install and testing and inspection all in 90 days of work before go live Again it's all speculation on my part Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting that.

The description says its for an unmanned equipment shelter.  Specifically for AT&T. That sounds like it's just to service the existing cell towers which were installed last year.  I don't think that has anything to do with providing WIFI service in the camping loops.

TCD

I would say 97% of campgrounds with wifi we have stayed in had crappy wifi. I think it's just really hard to get a good signal to everyone.  I do think even Disney will struggle with that.  Obvs they will have to have many access points in a campground that size.  

One example, we stayed at Ruby's at Bryce Canyon.  Pretty big as far as campgrounds go, but a fraction of FW.  And they seemed to really be making an effort on the wifi.  We could get 4-6 wifi networks in our camper and not one of them was consistent or reliable.

I just don't know logistically if it will work.  Maybe the magic, mystery cables will solve that.

Like what was said earlier a cable box at every other site with a WiFi router would do it. When we use to get 2 sites side by side we would get 1 cable modem and put the WiFi router on it. It covered both sites and the road in front of our trailer.

Thanks for posting that.

The description says its for an unmanned equipment shelter.  Specifically for AT&T. That sounds like it's just to service the existing cell towers which were installed last year.  I don't think that has anything to do with providing WIFI service in the camping loops.

TCD

but with At&t being the offical provider, it could be part of the deployment of wifi

the antenna may already be on the tower to generate a large enough wifi hotspot, and now its just the equipment getting there ... who knows

I did read alot about what they call mico cell deployment and how they have added 35+ sites to the disney property in addition to the new cell towers to improve cell phone coverage on att only

when you read about a micro cell, its just a router and radio that's hard-lined into a network, could easily be configured for wifi only and provide the coverage

but with At&t being the offical provider, it could be part of the deployment of wifi

the antenna may already be on the tower to generate a large enough wifi hotspot, and now its just the equipment getting there ... who knows

I did read alot about what they call mico cell deployment and how they have added 35+ sites to the disney property in addition to the new cell towers to improve cell phone coverage on att only

when you read about a micro cell, its just a router and radio that's hard-lined into a network, could easily be configured for wifi only and provide the coverage

I have an ATT micro cell in my house.  It routes our cell calls and texts through the internet connection.  

You can't have one big transmitter for the campground. The frequencies used for WiFi, 2.4 Ghz band and 5 Ghz range, are limited by the FCC in the output power the transmitter can have and how far the signal can travel. There are also physical issues like trees or buildings that don't allow for anything but line of site transmission for long distance on the 2.4 Ghz  band. Another physical problem is interference from things like microwaves where many also operate in the 2.4 Ghz band. The further you are from the transmitter the more effect the interference has. The shed might some type of a hub but I don't see it directly tied to the WiFi network.

Keep in mind that Disney already has an internet hub somewhere that the Fort connects to. I don't see them replacing this although they might upgrade servers and add new connections in order to support WiFi. 

Keep in mind that Disney already has an internet hub somewhere that the Fort connects to. I don't see them replacing this although they might upgrade servers and add new connections in order to support WiFi. 

That reminds me- I always pick up locked wireless networks while at the Fort which appear to be for Disney CM's to use.  The signals are strong, but they probably can only handle whatever official Disney business they are used for.

The two parks at Disneyland do not have WIFI for guests, but there is WIFI throughout both parks that is used by CM's.  I imagine they don't offer it to guests because they don't have the capacity to handle that.

TCD

That reminds me- I always pick up locked wireless networks while at the Fort which appear to be for Disney CM's to use.  The signals are strong, but they probably can only handle whatever official Disney business they are used for.

The two parks at Disneyland do not have WIFI for guests, but there is WIFI throughout both parks that is used by CM's.  I imagine they don't offer it to guests because they don't have the capacity to handle that.

TCD

It doesn't surprise me. As old as the Fort is I can see where it would be easier and less expensive to add a WiFi connection for Point of Sales or other CS functions than trying to run a hardwired network.

As has been hinted at before, the key to blanket wifi coverage is not a powerful transmitter in a half dozen locations, but rather many dozen weak transmitters spread over the whole coverage area. We were at a major regional hospital recently and I was surprised to see these little $40 Netgear wifi repeaters plugged in everywhere. But that old, sprawling hospital had good wifi EVERYWHERE!

As has been hinted at before, the key to blanket wifi coverage is not a powerful transmitter in a half dozen locations, but rather many dozen weak transmitters spread over the whole coverage area. We were at a major regional hospital recently and I was surprised to see these little $40 Netgear wifi repeaters plugged in everywhere. But that old, sprawling hospital had good wifi EVERYWHERE!

I think your onto something there

do you think multiple directional ones mounted on the comfort stations would do?

you know one on each side

I just played around with google maps and the longest shot from a C/S to a campsite i found was  about 600 ft as the crow flies

and If i counted correctly there are 14 C/S

14 x4 directional routers= 56 routers

I know an outdoor directional router that its under $100 and has a 1.5 mile range, but we all know those numbers are junk so id be willing to say it has 1/4 of what they advertise so roughly 1/3 of a mile range. That would be 1500 feet add in a few trees and campers and we can reduce that number by half to 750 feet and still have coverage

adding wifi to the fort could cost them as little at $5600 in equipment and who knows how much brown paint guy is going to charge to install the routers... and how fast for that matter

First Tampa then Disney?

Maybe Disney is waiting for a co sponsorship with Google like they do with AT&T to provide campers with a Magical wi-fi experience...

Google to explore bringing its fiber optic high-speed Internet service to Tampa

TAMPA — Google announced Wednesday it may bring its ultra-fast Internet service, Google Fiber, to Tampa, a prospect that could eventually allow customers of all providers to drink from a fire hose of data after long sipping from a faucet.

If Google Fiber does eventually come to Tampa — the company insists it isn't a certainty — analysts said it will undoubtedly disrupt the existing Internet and TV marketplace and benefit consumers by pressuring other providers to offer faster, cheaper service.

Google said the service offers Internet speeds of a gigabit per second of data transfer on a fiber optic network — fast enough to download a movie in seconds. That is nearly 100 times faster that the U.S. average for residential customers.

But Google said it will do it at a fraction of the cost. In other markets, Google charges $70 monthly for its Internet-only service and a plan with both gigabit Internet and TV for $130 monthly with channels generally comparable to other companies

I think your onto something there

do you think multiple directional ones mounted on the comfort stations would do?

you know one on each side

I just played around with google maps and the longest shot from a C/S to a campsite i found was  about 600 ft as the crow flies

and If i counted correctly there are 14 C/S

14 x4 directional routers= 56 routers

I know an outdoor directional router that its under $100 and has a 1.5 mile range, but we all know those numbers are junk so id be willing to say it has 1/4 of what they advertise so roughly 1/3 of a mile range. That would be 1500 feet add in a few trees and campers and we can reduce that number by half to 750 feet and still have coverage

adding wifi to the fort could cost them as little at $5600 in equipment and who knows how much brown paint guy is going to charge to install the routers... and how fast for that matter

You need omni-directional antennas for the best coverage. The directional ones are intended to be used for fixed location, point to point connections such as going from a house to an outbuilding. This wouldn't work for someone moving around. You also have too many things in the way to block the signal. If I am remembering correctly the maximum output allowed for a 2.4 Ghz is 100 mW. This would give you a range of around 300 ft if nothing is in the way. In the 5 Ghz band I think it is 1 W which would give you more range but since it is more susceptible to physical barriers like trees and walls I suspect it would have a similar effective range. 

First Tampa then Disney?

Maybe Disney is waiting for a co sponsorship with Google like they do with AT&T to provide campers with a Magical wi-fi experience...

TAMPA — Google announced Wednesday it may bring its ultra-fast Internet service, Google Fiber, to Tampa, a prospect that could eventually allow customers of all providers to drink from a fire hose of data after long sipping from a faucet.

If Google Fiber does eventually come to Tampa — the company insists it isn't a certainty — analysts said it will undoubtedly disrupt the existing Internet and TV marketplace and benefit consumers by pressuring other providers to offer faster, cheaper service.

Google said the service offers Internet speeds of a gigabit per second of data transfer on a fiber optic network — fast enough to download a movie in seconds. That is nearly 100 times faster that the U.S. average for residential customers.

But Google said it will do it at a fraction of the cost. In other markets, Google charges $70 monthly for its Internet-only service and a plan with both gigabit Internet and TV for $130 monthly with channels generally comparable to other companies

It has disrupted TWC in my area. Google has started building their hub here in the Triangle and Ting has just announced they are putting fiber in my town. As all of this was going on TWC decided a couple of months ago to up everybody's speed under their current terms and no rate increase. While they aren't blindingly fast 15 Mbps went to 50 Mbps and 100 Mbps were upped to 300 Mbps. They have done the same thing in markets where Google has come in or another fiber internet provider. 

In the Tampa area we have Brighthouse which was Time Warner and Verizon FIOS.

Both of these have been sold to other companies which haven't taken over yet.

All the articles in the papers have said that the companies buying them have much worse customer service than what we already have.

I'm pretty sure the Brighthouse deal fell through.  I have Brighthouse, and was not looking forward to the new guys.

And, as much as we think we have it bad, we should be thankful that we live in an area where there is competition.  In Tallahassee, you can choose between Comcast or Comcast.  Same deal in Auburn, AL, but it's a different provider there.  You can imagine how motivated they are to provide customer service there.

TCD

First Tampa then Disney?

Google has been installing internet in the 'hood next to mine. They people were all like ha ha, now they're mad because Google has hit like 6 gas lines.

I am still jealous, though.  Only option we have is Time Warner Cable, and while pretty fast, we have a weak signal coming into the house that they won't fix.

I am still jealous, though.  Only option we have is Time Warner Cable, and while pretty fast, we have a weak signal coming into the house that they won't fix.

We had that same problem with Knology years ago. It drove my son crazy. He is a bandwidth hog, and a network geek. He was constantly on the phone with customer service. He could even tell them which junction was bad, and they never would escalate it. He moved out, and I didn't notice it. We have since switched to Comcast, and then to WOW. The new WOW service must have fixed the problem cause now our internet is good.

I'm pretty sure the Brighthouse deal fell through.  I have Brighthouse, and was not looking forward to the new guys.

And, as much as we think we have it bad, we should be thankful that we live in an area where there is competition.  In Tallahassee, you can choose between Comcast or Comcast.  Same deal in Auburn, AL, but it's a different provider there.  You can imagine how motivated they are to provide customer service there.

TCD

Last article I could find was that Brighthouse and Charter were still going to go thru with the sale even though Comcast and Time Warner's deal fell thru.

But that was dated back in May and they had a 30 day window to sign off on the sale.

Haven't found any other stories if it did or didn't happen.

Odd.

Last article I could find was that Brighthouse and Charter were still going to go thru with the sale even though Comcast and Time Warner's deal fell thru.

But that was dated back in May and they had a 30 day window to sign off on the sale.

Haven't found any other stories if it did or didn't happen.

Odd.

That is odd.  Charter is the company my daughter dealt with in Auburn.  Not as bad as Comcast, but still pretty poor customer service.  And they were the only option.

I thought for sure that the deal between Bright House and Charter was called off.  I know nothing has changed with my service or billing or anything.  It's odd that there is no news about it.

TCD