Great adventure has hand metal detectors for years ( at least since 1994ish). You had your bag through the metal detector, then they poke through it and then you walk through. But their attendance is nothing compared to Disney.

Carowinds has had walk through ones for years too.  I remember having to send bags through, then the stroller with kid, then I would walk through.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to fire up the iPad to see the photos. work pc blocks photobucket.   It's a very poorly thought out, thrown together system.   And to top it off, they let how may thousands of runners go through

We just walked up to bag check at the MK, no signs of construction. They would have to make some sort of weather proof enclosure also.

There is no way that Disney is going to just suddenly implement airport level security at its bag check lines.   It would cost a fortune and would be a logistical nightmare. There would be no "no bags

Carowinds has had walk through ones for years too.  I remember having to send bags through, then the stroller with kid, then I would walk through.

You could send the stroller through the same thing as the bag with the kids still in it? j/k of course. 

According to the post, they added three metal detectors to the MK bag check area.  Three.

Three metal detector are now in place at the Magic Kingdom alongside the bag check area. A random sampling of guests will be sent through the scanners, which are being operated by a third party security firm, CSC.

Sorry, but that is pretty dumb.

TCD

According to the Orlando Sentinel the costume ban for adults will also apply to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. 

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/.../os-disney-metal...

Disney World is also discontinuing the sale of toy guns and banning people 14 and older from wearing costumes – even at Halloween parties.

According to the Orlando Sentinel the costume ban for adults will also apply to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. 

Disney World is also discontinuing the sale of toy guns and banning people 14 and older from wearing costumes – even at Halloween parties.

Wow.

No costumes at the Halloween parties?  That's extreme.

TCD

I wonder how they are going to define a "costume" given how some people dress on a regular basis. I'm envisioning a lot of arguments. Or just another not enforced rule.

Im wondering how they are going to handle the women in burkas?  Limiting adult costumes due to concealment or identity issues but allowing someone to wear a burka?  Im by no means against a persons religious beliefs but in this world it can easily be used just as an adult costume would to conceal an object or identity. 

WPLG Channel 10 out of Miami reported that Disney has scanners at all 4 parks, plus they will be in place at the Disney Springs movie theater before tonight's showing of Star Wars.

SeaWorld is starting to use wand detectors along with thorough bag checks, and Universal is thinking of using detectors full time instead of just Halloween.

In Washington DC and in Europe a lot of the Museums have metal detectors that you have to walk through and send bags through.  They aren't near as sensitive as the airport ones and you didn't take off shoes or belts.  

I would assume the parks would do something similar to that.

Funny thing in Paris one day a month the Museums are free and it draws big crowds so a lot of times they just bypassed the metal detectors to speed things up.  I saw with my own eyes years ago.

WBI

In Washington DC and in Europe a lot of the Museums have metal detectors that you have to walk through and send bags through.  They aren't near as sensitive as the airport ones and you didn't take off shoes or belts.  

Funny thing in Paris one day a month the Museums are free and it draws big crowds so a lot of times they just bypassed the metal detectors to speed things up.  I saw with my own eyes years ago.

WBI

WBI

Not metal detectors but when SeaWorld and Busch get real busy they bypass the fingerprint readers.  They will show green real quick even if it's a bad scan or wrong finger.

This is hilarious.

Fox 13 in Tampa is reporting basically what everyone else is.

But they have a screen shot from Fox 35 in Orlando where they are interviewing a reporter on the phone from the Orlando Sentinel.  The background image they have is  Mickey's Sorcerer Hat from HS.  Looks like it was an aerial view from a while ago.

WBI

Sure, a museum can get by with a couple of scanners, and a conveyor belt with an x-ray machine to check bags.  It's easy to have all of those electronics set up inside, and a few employees can handle the security check.

But, Disney World is the busiest theme park on the planet.  How would they do this there?  Could it be done?  Of course.  But, at what cost?

TCD

This is hilarious.

Fox 13 in Tampa is reporting basically what everyone else is.

But they have a screen shot from Fox 35 in Orlando where they are interviewing a reporter on the phone from the Orlando Sentinel. The background image they have is Mickey's Sorcerer Hat from HS. Looks like it was an aerial view from a while ago.

You'll love this then. Someone posted on a run Disney FB group they work for a TV station in FL and wanted to know if anyone could get them a video clip of The scanners for their news report

You'll love this then. Someone posted on a run Disney FB group they work for a TV station in FL and wanted to know if anyone could get them a video clip of The scanners for their news report

LOL!  I've seen it happen on Twitter where some random person posts a photo of something and a bunch of people from news outlets pop up asking for permission to use it.

Ah modern journalism...  8)

Oh how far we have come. I remember as a kid getting a pistol from the pirates gift shop. You would put a cork ball in it (included) and one cap under the hammer. There was a tiny hole under where the cap went that went back behind the barrel. When you pulled the trigger it went off like a cap gun but actually fired the cork. No red tips on the barrels back in those days..

Welcome JAMBUS!

If you read back on this page and the one prior, you'll see that they're already there.  There's a link to a photo a Fiend took just yesterday at Epcot as well.

Also just to let you know, we have a Debate board where people are free to let fly whatever they like when it comes to politics, religion, or anything else that might be considered a "hot button" topic. As the heading of that board says "Here it is...politics, religion, all for you! Be nice and respectful 'cuz not everyone agrees with you!"

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/forum/11-debate/

I saw this story in one blog but haven't seen it anywhere else.

Supposedly Homeland had a meeting with all the major Parks and mentioned that there was a rise in threat assessment for public places. But the meeting was only the day before the scanners were installed, unless they had the date wrong in the article.