Thieves are everywhere, including at WDW! updated

BIG RANT: While my brother was doing the marathon this morning a low-life, sorry, piece of crap stole his wheel chair off the carrier on the back of his car in public, in broad daylight. Yes, Disney is not the magical place where you and your belongings are safe anymore. He was parked in a handicapped parking spot at Old Key West, a Disney resort hotel. The people who took it obviously did not know or care if they left a disabled, veteran without mobility. Thank God Ed is not completely dependent on the chair to move around. It does limit him to just the house and a short walk in a store. He did not get to go celebrate completing 5k, 10k, half marathon and a marathon on his hand cycle in 4 days at down town Disney because he is unable to do that much walking, especially when he had just finished the marathon. I am so upset for him. Thank God I am not able to get my hands on whoever did this or someone would be getting me out of jail.

If stuff is not safe at a regular resort, then you know you better secure your property at the Fort!

BIG RANT: While my brother was doing the marathon this morning a low-life, sorry, piece of crap stole his wheel chair off the carrier on the back of his car in public, in broad daylight. Yes, Disney is not the magical place where you and your belongings are safe anymore. He was parked in a handicapped parking spot at Old Key West, a Disney resort hotel. The people who took it obviously did not know or care if they left a disabled, veteran without mobility. Thank God Ed Russell is not completely dependent on the chair to move around. It does limit him to just the house and a short walk in a store. He did not get to go celebrate completing 5k, 10k, half marathon and a marathon on his hand cycle in 4 days at down town Disney because he is unable to do that much walking, especially when he had just finished the marathon. I am so upset for him. Thank God I am not able to get my hands on whoever did this or someone would be getting me out of jail.

If stuff is not safe at a regular resort, then you know you better secure your property at the Fort!

Thats even a DVC only resort. I am still fuming for Ed. 

If it gets much worse, they are going to have to stop folks from coming in without reservations to eat or to stay at the resort or keep a list of who comes in. Obviously, thieves were cruising the parking lot to see what they could steal. I'm sure they were coming to eat or something.

To me if you are not a resort guest then you shouldn't be at a Disney resort. If you are a resort guest then you should be allowed to go to any of them freely.

I also think all buses should have magic band scanners. If you're not staying on property no ride to any resort.

To me if you are not a resort guest then you shouldn't be at a Disney resort. If you are a resort guest then you should be allowed to go to any of them freely.

I also think all buses should have magic band scanners. If you're not staying on property no ride to any resort.

I hope by resort guest you are also talking about ADR's at resorts. We live local now and frequently go eat. I agree though, it's sad that it is coming to this.

I agree. Putting scanners on buses would make too much sense...lol

I agree. Putting scanners on buses would make too much sense...lol

Way back when, in the Dark Ages of the Magic Kingdom ( no other parks) and the Fort, you used to get a transportation ticket when you bought your gate admission, or if you stayed at a hotel/Fort. You had to show it (it had a date on it) eveytime you got on a bus, boat, monorail. Trams were exempt since you were already inside the Fort, plus they had numerous ways to get on. But to get into the Fort from the Outpost via bus required that pass.,

Beckers shared it on Instagram and I reposted it there and on some Disney groups on FB.   :(

Some people commented they thought Disney had video surveillance of the parking lots.  Has Ed checked about that? Nevermind.  I just read on FB that the car was parked in a blindspot. :(

This really stinks, and I don't know all the particulars about the incident.

But people have to realize that coming to Disney doesn't mean that the nastiness of the outside world stops at those overhead welcome arches.

Scum is scum no matter where they are.

Thieves take "vacations" and the smart ones look for big events with a lot of first timers coming to the area, or something like the marathons where the runners are so busy and tired that they don't take every precaution.

Personally, I treat a trip to Disney the same way I do going to any major metropolitan area, and maybe even more so.

Everything of major value gets locked in vehicles every time we leave the our campsite, and cooking gear if it's not being used gets stowed away.

I'm not belittling the gentleman that had his chair stolen, just reminding everyone that there is a lot of crime that occurs at WDW.

This really stinks, and I don't know all the particulars about the incident.

But people have to realize that coming to Disney doesn't mean that the nastiness of the outside world stops at those overhead welcome arches.

Scum is scum no matter where they are.

Thieves take "vacations" and the smart ones look for big events with a lot of first timers coming to the area, or something like the marathons where the runners are so busy and tired that they don't take every precaution.

Personally, I treat a trip to Disney the same way I do going to any major metropolitan area, and maybe even more so.

Everything of major value gets locked in vehicles every time we leave the our campsite, and cooking gear if it's not being used gets stowed away.

I'm not belittling the gentleman that had his chair stolen, just reminding everyone that there is a lot of crime that occurs at WDW.

This may be true but you know they stole a wheelchair . This wasn't leaving an iphone on the seat inside with the door unlocked. A wheelchair is something only a very small number of people will use but is essential to the person who owns it.  It's truly the worst scum who would do something like that. 

This may be true but you know they stole a wheelchair . This wasn't leaving an iphone on the seat inside with the door unlocked. A wheelchair is something only a very small number of people will use but is essential to the person who owns it.  It's truly the worst scum who would do something like that. 

A professional thief knows the value of anything worth stealing, and if it's worth the risk it's gone.

A junkie looking for quick cash could care less what he/she steals or who they hurt, as long as they get a couple of $$.

Kids looking for cheap thrills will just take it for fun and to ride around/play in.

Does anyone know if this got out to the local media in the Orlando/Kissimmee area?

I'm hoping this ends up in a pawn shop and the owner saw it on TV and has the decency to contact the sheriff/police.

Worst case is that it was chopped up for its scrap metal value for a quick fix.

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts. Good news is the VA will replace. Bad news it will take time. Good News a friend has a wheelchair he can use. Here is the post Ed made today. This has been truly emotionally devastating. For those of  you who know him, you know he should be angry and ranting away. He's not. He's sad and it is just ripping my heart up.

Ed

30 mins · 

4 days, 4 races - did Dopey again. 5K in a pushrim chair and the 10K, Half marathon and full marathon in my handcycle. Over a year with an injury; basically, no training; you would think I would be excited and going to all the post race parties ... but I'm not.

Instead, I have been depressed beyond measure. When I returned to my car at OKW (Old Key West Resort), I found that someone had stolen a wheelchair from a disabled veteran ... MINE! I no longer have my primary method of getting around for any distance.

Yesterday, I was totally in a fog, and didn't really do what needed to be done ... and Disney dropped the ball by letting me go off in that fog. Today, I went back to get the paperwork, and found out none had been done. NOW, there is a statement and a Case Number from Orange County SO - Office Betances was so helpful in getting things done. Initially Disney Security wasn't so helpful ... until a manager from OKW stepped up and got things rolling. Disney sent their own investigator over to prepare a report, also.

Now I can go to the VA, and get things moving in order to get a replacement ... which could takes a couple of months. Meanwhile, Charles stepped up and offered me the use of one of his wheelchairs. Thank You!

I am feeling a little bit better now because of the outpouring of support from friends and total strangers. For a while, I had a poor opinion of the human race in general. Thanks everyone that has posted or commented about this - you can't understand how much this has actually meant to me.

This has been spread around facebook like wild fire thanks to Jason Adams and to many other forums thanks to Beckers and Marty! The wheels are different looking because it is a power assisted chair. He wheels himself, but power kicks in when necessary like when going uphill.

chIR.jpg