At what point does the Fort not become worth it?

2 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

I really doubt it since the FORT's operating costs include all the seperate buildings, CS, Trading Posts, Outpost, TE, BYBBQ the two stables, internal buses, GCs, trucks & vans used for Maint. Everytime something needs repair it means driving not getting on the elevator and walking down the hall. Also maintaining underground utilities is not cheap. As an example Roto Rooter is here at least once a month cleaning sewer !Ines. When they resurfaced the roads last year that was probably $200,000-$300,00 minimum. 

True.  I was thinking more in the lines of room upkeep... towels, cleaning, toiletries, carpet cleaning, maid service, hot water, etc.  They are all closer, but have to be better maintained, wouldn't want a spot on the carpet of a $400 a night room.

Site clean-up has got to go a lot faster/cheaper than a room turn-around or even daily refresh.

But I can see where there are unique expenses at the Fort also.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to me I cant put a cost to the memories that i made as a kid growing up at the fort. I know my mom and dad worked OT, or second jobs to make it work and for that I am grateful. That being said, I

I don't like the tone that this thread is taking, on both sides. I'm locking this thread for a day or so to let people cool off, and if people can't be civil, I'm going to move it to the debate

The point that everyone seems to overlook as they look back at the past is that River Country was not a perq for those staying at the campground - it was a separate ticketed entity which just happened

1 hour ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Are you trying to get us in trouble again????

You're going to trigger the wrath of the Rose Colored Glasses Brigade again if you're not careful......

Repeat after me: "The Fort is Great Just the Way it Is"  "The Fort is Not a Red-Headed Stepchild"  "The Fort is better now than it has ever been"

Problems? I don't see no stinkin Problems!!   :lol:

Really?  Are you not the same person who called some other poster here "condescending"?    And now she's not posting as often  

It seems to me like you just want to stir up trouble here.  But im sure you just think your being funny/snarky.   

That at was a rude comment specifically aimed at a few people that called you out on your condescending and rude comments.    Others here have tried to move on and put that crap behind them but you felt the need to pour salt on that wound.  It's crappy comments like that, that have run people off. 

Its ok to disagree but you've gone beyond that. Not only once but twice.   You really need to think about what you post before you post them.  

Now go ahead and attack me.  Or perhaps you will realize that comment was rude and uncalled for and you'll apologize.  

My guess is Disney's return on a room is better than a campsite however I suspect they are still getting a solid return on those too. I don't know Disney's cost structure nor have any insider knowledge. I do know when my little brother was running one of the high-rise convention hotels on on International Drive back in the late 80's he said his break even point was roughly $30/night. At that time the rack rate for a two queen room was $94/night and he said a common discount rate was $64/night. He said the newer high-rise that his company also owned on International had a break even in the mid $40 range but it also had room rates that were quite a bit higher from it being a luxury brand. The per room profit margin was also significantly higher. It wouldn't surprise me to see the many of the Disney hotels with similar numbers, adjusted for inflation, since they have been around for so long.  

I don't like the tone that this thread is taking, on both sides. I'm locking this thread for a day or so to let people cool off, and if people can't be civil, I'm going to move it to the debate thread so you can yell at each other all you want to about it. There's an interesting discussion to be had here, but it's been lost in everyone trying to score rhetorical points by sniping at one another.

I especially do not like it when you make up a name for the group of people who disagree with you. That way leads to community fracturing, and I will not have it.

It is perfectly OK for people to think that the Fort is, overall, a pretty great campsite (because it is!), and it's also OK for people to think that Disney has not managed it well in the past, present, and future (because they haven't!). People who hold these views are not enemies and, I believe, should stop arguing with one another.

I swear I feel like Dad stopping the car sometimes...