1st Trip to the Fort!

Last fall my wife and I decided to take a trip to Disney and because we had just bought our motor home and discovered this forum we thought the Fort would be a good idea!  We shared our plans with our families and welcomed them to plan the trip with us and go as a group.  The only taker was my Mom so she just hitched a ride with us. 

So our dates were set and we knew who was going (My wife and I, our four kids and my Mom).  We made plans to drive April 1st and 2nd.  April 3rd - 10th at the fort and drive home the 11th and 12th.  We were going to be at the fort for 8 days and got 7 day park hoppers.  On our off day (Thursday) we scheduled Chef Mickey for 7:30.

I will be trying to put each day into a post but adding pictures seems to be giving me trouble so I will start tomorrow with the daily reports for each day!

So the first day of driving we got a very late start, about 3 hours after what we were planning.  We drove and got to Nashville then decided start looking for a place for the night.  My wife got on the phone and started calling campgrounds and found that there was something going on in Nashville and everyone was full.  She finally found a place at Cullman Campgrounds, it was nothing fancy we just parked on the grass and plugged in for the night.  The next morning my wife said a tire looked low and when I checked it was very low.  I had put an air compressor in the storage under the motor home and filled the tire and headed into town to get it fixed.  

We arrived in Cullman and found McGriff Tire.  They had room I could back the back of the motor home into one of their bays and they got right to work getting the tire off.  They could not find a leak spraying the tire so the put it in the water tank that allows them to find small leaks.  They still found nothing wrong so being the outside tire on the back side they started adding the extender on that was on the valve stem and found out that it was a little metal extended piece that the previous owner put on that was leaking.  Easy fix just some work to get it figured out.  I took those off all the wheels and they replaced them with a new style that they said would not leak and put new caps on all of them.  I went to pay and they said have a safe trip and would not take any money!  This was the first of the magic that happened on our trip. 

After the late start getting the tire done we drove and made it to Wekiwa Springs State Park in Florida before checking into the Fort the next day.  We arrived late at this park but what time we did spend there was nice.  It was quite and the amenities were nice and clean.

Here are the kids and my mom as we were on the road the first day.

DSC_0021 - Copy.jpg

We arrived at the Fort!

DSC_0056.jpg

We faxed in a site request and they had us going to that site but when checking in they offered a site that was open at that time (about 9:00 AM) and we decided to take it as we could just pull in and be done with it.  We got site 1721, I don't think that the kids realized that we had arrived and would be at Magic Kingdom in just a few minutes!

DSC_0059.jpg

1 hour ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

McGriff Tire has a FB page.  You should be sure to write about their great service on their page.  If I lived closer, I would definitely use them.

Agreed!

Looks like a nice start to the holiday. Looking forward to hearing about more!

So because we were just planning and parking in the overflow and coming back later to get set up in the site we got a little later start in the parks and missed our first two fast passes.  Our plan was to hit the Magic Kingdom and start heading from adventure land around clockwise around the lands.  We got most of Adventure Land and Frontier Land except that splash mountain went down while we were in line.  We went up to main street and checked in for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom and watched the light parade and the fireworks.  We decided to hit Fantasy Land and that paid off big time!  We stayed in the park until about 1:30 AM and hit ton of stuff.  We walked right into see the princesses and all the rides that were in the back of the park.  The kids did well being up so late.  It is nice having the boat going to the Magic Kingdom but with sleeping kids in a stroller unloading to get on the bus kind of sucks.  But we figured out a good method for that later in the trip.

One thing we did before we went on the trip was to get a new camera.  A Nikon D5500.  We got it a day or so before the trip so we were going to put it to the test with this trip.  We ended up taking about 4400 pictures and were not disappointed.  I have not set up a way to host the pictures yet so I will have to add more later.