Muppets Attraction Coming to Liberty Square at MK?

Plunking this in the rumors board for now since there's been no official info from Disney yet, and this seems kind of random to me. But hey, why not?

BREAKING: The Muppets Are Coming to Liberty Square at the Magic Kingdom in New Attraction

It has been a day of strange story, but this one doesn’t even see to be a rumor as testing is set to begin shortly…

maxresdefault

The Muppets are apparently coming to Liberty Square at the Magic Kingdom. The rather lengthy facade refurbishment of the Heritage House seems to have been for this new attraction which will have The Muppets teaching and interacting with guests concerning U.S. history. The Muppets characters, which were reportedly built in a collaboration between the Jim Henson company and Walt Disney Imagineering, will be appearing high above guests in the second story windows of Liberty Square.

We have no other info at this time, but as stated above, testing of the new attraction is imminent. Walt Disney World has not announced this attraction as of yet.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/breaking-the-muppets-are-coming-to-liberty-square-at-the-magic-kingdom-in-new-attraction/

Wow, that's a crazy rumor.

The Imagineers who designed Liberty Square went to great lengths to include details that make it authentic to the time period it represents.  To this date, no one has messed with that.

And now they are going to have puppets hanging out of windows?

That would be a huge step in the wrong direction.

I'll believe it when I see it.

And I hope that I don't.

TCD

I suppose if it's contained to inside the Heritage House building (which has been pretty much unused for a while now) that wouldn't be too intrusive to the overall Liberty Square theme, but I agree it seems like an odd move.

Then again we now have Frozen in Norway...  :wacko:

I just can't see the Muppets fitting in any fashion at the MK. To me the MK is traditional Disney so I expect to see Disney characters and attractions not a bunch Jim Henson characters. If they want an interactive American Experience type thing I think they could come up with something much better that uses Disney characters or real historical ones.

• 4 weeks later...

As Jason put it when he sent me this... "The Muppets are Coming! The Muppets are Coming!! "  :)

Confirmed by the Disney Parks Blog...

The Muppets Are Coming to Walt Disney World Resort This Fall in an All-New Show

Shawn Slater

by Shawn Slater, Senior Communications Manager, Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Entertainment

Beginning this fall, the Muppets will be visiting Magic Kingdom Park, where they’ll take part in an all-new live show, “The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History.”

Sam Eagle, the fiercely patriotic American eagle who is forever trying to set a high moral standard for the Muppets, will join Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, The Great Gonzo and James Jefferson, town crier of Liberty Square, as they gather outside The Hall of Presidents to present historical tales in hysterical fashion as only they can. From the midnight ride of Paul Revere to the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the Muppets appear throughout the day to share with Guests, their own unique take on the founding fathers and the birth of the United States of America.

Featuring an original song and plenty of wacky Muppets humor, “The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History” will make its debut in October 2016.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/07/the-muppets-are-coming-to-walt-disney-world-resort-this-fall-in-an-all-new-show/

42 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I actually think this could be a good fit for Liberty Square.  Sam Eagle is the perfect choice to star in this.  Believe it or not, he inspired me as a kid to read more about the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.  I was a huge Muppet Show fan back in the day.  

I think it's a great way to get kids to learn (and not realize it!). Most kids would rather watch some form of a puppet than adults. 

7 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

I actually think this could be a good fit for Liberty Square.  Sam Eagle is the perfect choice to star in this.  Believe it or not, he inspired me as a kid to read more about the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.  I was a huge Muppet Show fan back in the day.  

That and School House Rock.  I still know the preamble to the Constitution by heart... but I have to sing it.

7 hours ago, Beckers said:

I think it's a great way to get kids to learn (and not realize it!). Most kids would rather watch some form of a puppet than adults. 

Me too!  ;)

• 1 month later...

It's starting a week from Sunday: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/09/the-muppets-present-great-moments-in-american-history-debuts-october-2-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Great news for all you Muppets fans out there! Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear and The Great Gonzo arrive at Magic Kingdom Park on October 2 for the opening of their all-new, live show “The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History.” Hosted by James “J.J.” Jefferson, town crier of Liberty Square, and Sam Eagle, the fiercely patriotic American eagle who is forever trying to set a high moral standard for the Muppets, this wacky new show is set to take place several times daily, just outside The Hall of Presidents.

Throughout the day, J.J. and the Muppets share their own unique take on the founding fathers as they recount the tale of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, complete with an original song and plenty of humor. At other times, you may catch the Muppets’ version of the midnight ride of Paul Revere, presented in hysterical fashion as only they can.

If you like some hijinks with your history, be sure to check out “The Muppets Present… Great Moments in American History” this fall at Walt Disney World Resort!

It sounds like it won't be too awful.

TCD

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I only watched a bit of the first video, as I want to see it in person before I form any opinions.

I will say that I'm pleased to see that the host is a live actor and he was actually speaking and singing.  I don't like the fact that other "live" shows around WDW are lip-synched.

TCD

I will say the Paul Revere show does not have a human host. I was pleasantly pleased as well with the same fasts as you on the first video. I also like the fact that the Muppets are in fact Muppets and not animatronics.