Big Vaca with a Big Family

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More from Sunday's drive.  We had just entered Wyoming.     Sorry for the dirty windshield.         Finally we made it to our destination, Casper, Wyoming.  T

Next we left Cody after buying groceries at Walmart.  FYI there are no frozen buttermilk biscuits or tea bags (for sweet tea) at the Cody, WO Walmart.  Ha! There were several awesome tunnels that

No we didn't make it there.  We wanted to see it, but we heard it was too dry maybe I can't remember.  But it wouldn't have been fun with the wild children.  Next time for sure!   The Tetons we

Wow... okay, all caught up! :)

Love all the pictures.  How were the roads into the campground at Yellowstone?  I've read that some of the roads can be very tough to navigate when towing a camper.  

I'm appreciating this TR as I'm looking to drive out West (GA to WA) with my kiddos in June.  In order to save vacation time, my husband will fly out and drive back with us, at which point we may do Yellowstone as I really want to visit Glacier National on my way out.  

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:13 AM, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Neither can I, what am I doing wrong?

The written part is very informative, thanks.

Thanks for the fix.  I went back and now can see all your photos.  So pretty.  What a great big open sky out there.

Again, thank you!

8 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Wow... okay, all caught up! :)

Love all the pictures.  How were the roads into the campground at Yellowstone?  I've read that some of the roads can be very tough to navigate when towing a camper.  

I'm appreciating this TR as I'm looking to drive out West (GA to WA) with my kiddos in June.  In order to save vacation time, my husband will fly out and drive back with us, at which point we may do Yellowstone as I really want to visit Glacier National on my way out.  

The roads into Yellowstone are fine.  But there is a road called Dunraven Pass in Yellowstone and there is no way I'd take a camper on it.  But there is another route.  There's campers everywhere.  And TONS of them driven by people who have never driven one in their lives (they rent them after flying there).  So if they can do it, you can do it. 

7 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Thanks for the fix.  I went back and now can see all your photos.  So pretty.  What a great big open sky out there.

Again, thank you!

It is amazing! 

7 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Pics are working for me.....and they are GREAT.  Wyo chamber of Commerce should hire you.

Bison are cool. 'nuff  said

Thanks!!  

6 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I'm glad you got the photos fixed!

Keep them coming!

TCD

Hopefully I will! 

When we left off we had gotten parked and settled at Fishing Bridge Campground.  A lot of people move from camp sight to camp sight as they go to different parts of the park.  With such young kids staying at one the whole time worked better.  But the move around method might work too.  We really enjoyed Fishing Bridge.  We thought it was beautiful.  So cozy and tucked right in the trees.  We have no complaints at all.  We left a day earlier than we thought (I'll explain later) and the refunded us that day, which we did not expect.  Everyone was super nice!  Can't wait to camp their again one day.

So on to Monday.  We had a busy day planned and were very excited!  First off was a fishing charter on Yellowstone Lake.  We left from Bridge Bay Marina, which is very close to Fishing Bridge.  We did a two hour trip and it was $200.  That was boat, guide, fishing stuff, for all 5 of us.  We thought it was a good price.  No we did not catch a thing, but we learned so much on this trip.  The guide was wonderful.  Never got frazzled with the kids and explained everything.  Would I do it again? No   Am I glad we did it?  YES 

Here we go!  First lets talk Yellowstone Lake.  It is 22 x 16 miles.  (please don't quote me on this stuff.) And like maybe 200 foot deep.  It is gigantic.  Like being in the ocean.  There are 2 kids of fish only.  Lake trout and cutthroat trout.  You can not use real bait of any kind.  Only lures.  You can put your own boat in the water but it has to be thoroughly inspected.  Skiing and such are not allowed.  Yellowstone Lake completely freezes in the winter.  In fact I have a friend that worked there one summer and arrived in May.  He was shocked in June when it started melting because he had no clue there was a lake there.  

trip63_zps04ffusat.jpg

trip64_zpsvfmcjncx.jpg

trip66_zpsfcjiikss.jpg

trip67_zpstoj3ty6p.jpg

trip68_zpskrb2p3md.jpg

trip72_zpssihc5qjd.jpg

trip69_zps1fqoqnol.jpg

trip70_zpswvy6ve9v.jpg

Snow on the mountain

trip75_zpsnnbuaf97.jpg

trip73_zps7abo4kuc.jpg

trip74_zpsecned8yx.jpg

trip78_zpsulcdyk1n.jpg

trip76_zpscr5w63c6.jpg

trip80_zpsgrjoggbq.jpg

trip81_zpsrveumcvg.jpg

trip71_zpsarzcn3jt.jpg

trip79_zps3hherkrb.jpg

8 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

I love the photos of your boys, especially how loving they are with each other.  No doubt they have their moments....

Good price for the boat trip, was it just your family on it that day?

Thanks.  They do love each other very much.  

We thought it was a good price.  From what I understand they only do 1 party per boat and from one person to 5 is all the same.  $100 per hour

2 minutes ago, fowlandfishmommy said:

Thanks.  They do love each other very much.  

We thought it was a good price.  From what I understand they only do 1 party per boat and from one person to 5 is all the same.  $100 per hour

That's nice, each group gets special attention that way.

After our fishing trip we had our lunch packed in the car (FYI I do not premake sandwiches we pack all the stuff and make them there its easier).  We headed towards our next destination.  I had read that doing a guided tour early in your trip is the best thing to do.  They explain so many things to you and its just a fun way to learn more about the park.  So we had a sunset tour of the Lamar Valley planned.  The tour left from Mammoth Hotel on the other side of the park.  About 2 hours away from Fishing Bridge.  We planned on stoping on the way to see a few things.  

This will help you get your bearings.  We were heading from Bridge Bay up to the Canyon area and then to Tower Fall eventually to the Mammoth area.  Remember all the little areas are like their own little town.  Most have hotels and restaurants and gas stations.  

trip113_zpsewwlyory.jpg

There are even mechanic shops should you need one.  

Trip82_zpslvrahtnf.jpg

First up after leaving Bridge Bay Marina - LUNCH!

trip83_zpsvoyloemu.jpg

trip84_zpspcbhcgkb.jpg

Then some playing time by the river.

trip90_zpsxjgpkwah.jpg

trip92_zpszvgqboz6.jpg

trip86_zpsjxirdehx.jpg

trip91_zpsohgntoa0.jpg

trip109_zpsic2esmhq.jpg

Then we were on our way.  This bison would not stay out of the rode.  The rangers tried and tried to get him to get off the road.  I think he had traffic blocked for a while. 

trip93_zpsq5hbvnvh.jpg

Next up we drove through the Hayden Valley.  Yellowstone has a very popular valley for viewing wildlife called the Lamar Valley but we saw way more in the Hayden Valley.  I think it was because of a wildfire near Lamar.

trip110_zpsfzvpa8ni.jpg

trip99_zpsvelbxime.jpg

See that steam!

trip98_zpsw34sr2uh.jpg

trip95_zpsnmpupnuh.jpg

trip97_zpsfr8k3ljf.jpg

On up through the Dunraven Pass.  I don't have many pictures because I was completely freaking out.  I had my eyes covered 80% of the time.  It was so scary.  

trip112_zps0n8gqdyp.jpg

trip107_zpsjo9dijvj.jpg

trip108_zpsrz7i0mlv.jpg

And then we arrived at Tower Fall.  It was beautiful.  When you are leaving it, you drive past the TOP of it with the bottom right there beside you!  

trip101_zpsecdaf009.jpg

trip104_zps0tke5jlg.jpg

trip103_zpsjcvz0gb8.jpg

trip106_zpsodm8mdus.jpg

Next time we'll arrive to the Mammoth area. 

15 hours ago, fowlandfishmommy said:

The tour left from Mammoth Hotel on the other side of the park.  About 2 hours away from Fishing Bridge. 

trip113_zpsewwlyory.jpg

Is that two hours a typo?  Or does it take that long to drive because of the winding roads and bison?

I don't know much about Yellowstone beyond Old Faithful, so I'm already learning a lot from your report. Like about the size of Lake Yellowstone.  I had no idea!

TCD

14 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Your pictures are awesome.  That drive to Mammoth brings back good memories.  When INC and I went there 22 years ago (yikes), we tent camped at Canyon.  Looks like you drove past there.  I'd love to get back someday.  Hopefully before it blows its top.  LOL.  

Thanks.  We want to go back with F2 is 10 or so.  We loved it!

14 hours ago, Beckers said:

Wow!!! The pics are awesome!!! 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Beautiful pictures!   The lake completely freezes over... wow!!   That's insane!

I know we couldn't believe it.  

8 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Is that two hours a typo?  Or does it take that long to drive because of the winding roads and bison?

I don't know much about Yellowstone beyond Old Faithful, so I'm already learning a lot from your report. Like about the size of Lake Yellowstone.  I had no idea!

TCD

If you google map it, it is about 1 hr and 30min.  But 2 hours is a good guess.  Sometimes there is a lot of traffic and animals do block the road.  It took us way longer because we stopped at tower fall.  Yellowstone is HUGE. We were there from Monday to Friday and we still didn't see parts of it.  The roads are windy but its just huge.  Also there is construction usually.  The time when the park is open (May - September) is really the only times they can do work because of snow.  

2 hours ago, fowlandfishmommy said:

If you google map it, it is about 1 hr and 30min.  But 2 hours is a good guess.  Sometimes there is a lot of traffic and animals do block the road.  It took us way longer because we stopped at tower fall.  Yellowstone is HUGE. We were there from Monday to Friday and we still didn't see parts of it.  The roads are windy but its just huge.  Also there is construction usually.  The time when the park is open (May - September) is really the only times they can do work because of snow.  

Wow... good to know.  If we hit Yellowstone on the way back, we'll have to budget that into our time.  We will probably no more than two days there.. so we will obviously not get to see much at all.

47 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

4 of the 5 Great Lakes freeze completely over in a typical winter, and those lakes are massive. I grew up on the shore of Lake Erie and we prayed for the lake to freeze over as that would finally shut off the lake effect snow machine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I find that amazing... and cold!!

22 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

4 of the 5 Great Lakes freeze completely over in a typical winter, and those lakes are massive. I grew up on the shore of Lake Erie and we prayed for the lake to freeze over as that would finally shut off the lake effect snow machine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

That blows the mind of an Alabama girl.  

22 hours ago, Seals said:

I'm really loving your report of a place I've never been but hope to go some day. I remember how much I enjoyed your report on your trip to China also. It's sweet to see your boys having so much fun together. 

Thank you! If you'd have told us we'd be doing this trip after F3 was home 18 months, I'd have said you were crazy!  

21 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Wow... good to know.  If we hit Yellowstone on the way back, we'll have to budget that into our time.  We will probably no more than two days there.. so we will obviously not get to see much at all.

I find that amazing... and cold!!

I'd try to do Old Faithful area and Mammoth area if you only have 2 days.  

4 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Great report, we toured Yellowstone years ago on snowmobiles, we covered 90 miles and was a great trip, have to get back in the summer some time to see it.

We would love to see it with snow, but I only have a small windbreaker so we'd have to buy lots of gear.  

And we arrive in the Mammoth area of Yellowstone.  If you look on the map it is the northern most "area" or "town" in Yellowstone.  Mammoth is a very cool area.  First of all it is the only part of the park that stays open all year.  If you want to go in the winter you can fly into Montana, take a shuttle to some location, and then Yellowstone comes to get you in their Snowcoach.  Google Yellowstone snowcoach.  They are awesome.  Anyway, Mammoth also has Hot Springs.  They look like you are walking around on Mars.  Almost all of Yellowstones trails (the most popular ones) are pretty easy.  These are a tiny bit more strenuous.  But just because it is quite hilly.  Mammoth has a little town where workers can live with their families.  The whole area is grassy and beautiful.  So different from other parts of Yellowstone.  They even have a family of elks that live right there.  They love the beautiful green sod and they lay out by the hot springs to stay warm.  They were just out in the yard by the hotel.  Not phased at all by all the people.  Here are pictures from the Mammoth area.  

We saw an elk as soon as we arrived.  

trip114_zps7not663h.jpg

Hiking to the top.  

trip125_zpst0mjvm3y.jpg

trip124_zpsaaxjctue.jpg

trip129_zpstrxcf6if.jpg

trip130_zpsblhkxumk.jpg

trip127_zpsq0tulkpk.jpg

trip122_zpsa7cfqbop.jpg

trip132_zpsqvbehxow.jpg

trip134_zpsf08mplnl.jpg

trip137_zps8dtj9owa.jpg

trip131_zpscuo7gctu.jpg

trip133_zps9uhmaxp2.jpg

trip136_zps72ttjhy3.jpg

trip135_zpsd69mjk2l.jpg

trip140_zps9mpeeq5q.jpg

trip143_zpsxbtuyaao.jpg

I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but Yellowstone is not safe for a kid younger than probably 4 to just walk around.  There are some handrails but they are not built in a way to keep a child from jumping in the hot springs.  If you are taking a young child I highly suggest a backpack carrier, an Ergo, or something like we had.  We bought the Saddle Baby.  Its basically a set that goes on your shoulders and it straps their feet in so they can't fall off.  F3 LOVED it and it worked great for us.  We got tons of complements on it.  We saw a few people with strollers.  I do not suggest that.  FYI I love this about Yellowstone.  This is the attitude.  "Hey this is nature, you're own your own" (safety wise) Ha!!

trip139_zpshkhgnm94.jpg

An elk enjoying the springs.  

trip144_zpswxb3ttgp.jpg

trip138_zpsqlv2kdsz.jpg

trip141_zpsviefzqqh.jpg

Next up, our Twilight Tour!  

Wow. These pictures are great.  We've been planning on returning to the area.  the last time we stayed at the Old Faithful Inn.  We are intending on taking the camper into the Grand Tetons and concentrating more on hiking there; but your pictures have me wanting to get back into Yellowstone more.  Thanks for posting these.