Annual Passholders can get their new magic bands starting 12/14

On 1/3/2017 at 11:58 PM, Travisma said:

Cant get the quote to go away. Hmmm

Anyway it would be nice for passholder to link a CC our MB would make things much easier.  

What I'd really prefer would be a prepaid type thing like the cards you can buy for food and wine. They could set it up so that when it runs out you could have it automatically reload or manually reload it through guest relations or MDE.  Would be a good way to keep track of what you are spending and keep to a budget.  Which is probably the reason Disney will never do it. Haha

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just walked out to the mailbox and retrieved by box from Disney containing my Magic Band...  As Jen said, the new style Magic Bands are being shipped even though the website still shows the pictures o

Maybe MB 3.0 will give you a shock if you try to spend over a set limit !   Ooh look a $300 purse... ZAP!

We just bought ourselves some special edition ones of the new style.... (Us dummies with 10-15 MBs a piece left every single one of them at home). I like the way they rest on my arm. Very comfortable

Posted Images

4 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I wish they would too, although it's probably difficult programming. So their IT department can't handle it.

The question is though how often do they charge to the card in that case, every charge, once a day, a set limit?

It would be nice if they could do it similar to SunPass. You have $$ on your account, when it hits a low balance, it automatically charges your card an amount you choose.

Iirc. When you check into your resort they block off a dollar amount on your credit card. Once you reach that limit they block off another amount. I think last time we stayed at a resort they blocked off $500 at a time.When you check into your resort they block off a dollar amount on your credit card. Once you reach that limit they block off another amount. I think last time we stayed at a resort they blocked off $500 at a time.

4 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

My concern is how easy it would be for someone to use one of the old MB's associated with my account to charge.  I still don't know what the parameters are, but there are transactions where you can use the MB without having to enter the PIN.  I don't like that.  There's a controllable risk of abuse/fraud when I'm a resort guest, but it would be hard to monitor if I always had a credit card associated with my MB's.  On the other hand,  I guess it would be easy enough to deactivate all of my old MB's.  And, of course, I assume that I could avoid the whole issue by simply not connecting a card to my MDE account.

TCD

If They made you enter your pin for every transaction, it wouldn't be a problem.   I'm sure it's happened, but I don't ever remember not entering my pin.

6 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

If They made you enter your pin for every transaction, it wouldn't be a problem.   I'm sure it's happened, but I don't ever remember not entering my pin.

I am not sure what the dollar limit is, but they apparently do not require a PIN for smaller purchases.  It's happened to me a lot at the Meadow Trading Post, and at quick serve restaurants in the parks and resorts.  They just scan my MB, and the charge goes through with no PIN required.  On occasion, it has happened for larger bills too.  I remember charging a meal to my MB at the Plaza in the MK, and that bill was probably in the range of $80- no PIN.  I think there was some kind of glitch going on with MDE that day. But, my point is that I could lose an active MB, and someone could use it for charging without my PIN.  Since non-PIN charges are limited to smaller transactions, it's probably not a huge risk.

TCD

8 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I am not sure what the dollar limit is, but they apparently do not require a PIN for smaller purchases.  It's happened to me a lot at the Meadow Trading Post, and at quick serve restaurants in the parks and resorts.  They just scan my MB, and the charge goes through with no PIN required.  On occasion, it has happened for larger bills too.  I remember charging a meal to my MB at the Plaza in the MK, and that bill was probably in the range of $80- no PIN.  I think there was some kind of glitch going on with MDE that day. But, my point is that I could lose an active MB, and someone could use it for charging without my PIN.  Since non-PIN charges are limited to smaller transactions, it's probably not a huge risk.

TCD

My personal debit card used to not require me to enter a pin for purchases under $30.  That made me nervous.  But if you months ago they changed it  from a visa to a MasterCard. And now I have to enter my pin for everything. A few weeks ago I was staying at an embassy suites in dallas. And I went to the vending machine to get a soda. $1.50.  And it wouldn't let me buy one. I have to use a regular credit card 

10 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Iirc. When you check into your resort they block off a dollar amount on your credit card. Once you reach that limit they block off another amount. I think last time we stayed at a resort they blocked off $500 at a time.When you check into your resort they block off a dollar amount on your credit card. Once you reach that limit they block off another amount. I think last time we stayed at a resort they blocked off $500 at a time.

Depends which resort you are at. AKL was $2,000. I started laughing when they told me and I said if I spend that much in 24 hours they better have a job offer for me or Brian would be leaving me to scoop giraffe poop in the savanna. You can room charge that much and once you hit that amount it goes on your CC before you check out, not on your check out day. 

10 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

We used our MB to charge everything this past trip and I had to enter a pin for everything, even a banana. 

7 hours ago, Beckers said:

We used our MB to charge everything this past trip and I had to enter a pin for everything, even a banana. 

Good to know.  Maybe they have tightened up the PIN requirement as the bugs are worked out of the system.  But, I'll bet that CM's can still override the system and process charges without a PIN, and that would be a concern to me if my MB's could be used for charging indefinitely.

TCD

37 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Good to know.  Maybe they have tightened up the PIN requirement as the bugs are worked out of the system.  But, I'll bet that CM's can still override the system and process charges without a PIN, and that would be a concern to me if my MB's could be used for charging indefinitely.

TCD

That was my thought. You know some guest would throw a fit because they forgot their PIN number and a CM would override it.   But if they do have to override it they would require them to show some sort of I.D.  

6 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

That was my thought. You know some guest would throw a fit because they forgot their PIN number and a CM would override it.   But if they do have to override it they would require them to show some sort of I.D.  

Thinking about this, I always have my plastic pass and drivers license out to make purchases at the Meadow Trading Post so I can get my passholder discount- so that's probably why the CM's don't ask for a PIN from me if I'm using my MB to charge.

TCD

7 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thinking about this, I always have my plastic pass and drivers license out to make purchases at the Meadow Trading Post so I can get my passholder discount- so that's probably why the CM's don't ask for a PIN from me if I'm using my MB to charge.

TCD

Do they still have the passholder discount cards? I can't remember if we got the last year but we didn't get them with our new MB this year. 

2 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Do they still have the passholder discount cards? I can't remember if we got the last year but we didn't get them with our new MB this year. 

I asked that the other day if we got new ones with out new bands.

TCD told me to check mine, they are good for 2 years now, mine said 2016-2017 on it.

So I think they will issue new ones if you don't have one.

2 minutes ago, Travisma said:

TCD told me to check mine, they are good for 2 years now, mine said 2016-2017 on it.

OK I'll check with guest relations when we get our hard passes. Could be why we didn't get them last year. 

4 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Correct.

When I renewed my daughter's pass on 12/23/16, the CM at guest services asked if she needed a new plastic card.  She looked in her wallet, and didn't have hers with her.  I looked at mine, and it has 2016-2017 imprinted on the bottom right corner on the back.  Since DD1's pass had been issued on 12/23/15, the CM gave her a new plastic card, just in case.

Most CM's ask to see the card and a photo ID in order to apply any passholder discounts.  The MB itself isn't enough.  If I'm making a purchase, I always have my plastic pass and photo ID out to speed things up.

TCD

12 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Correct.

When I renewed my daughter's pass on 12/23/16, the CM at guest services asked if she needed a new plastic card.  She looked in her wallet, and didn't have hers with her.  I looked at mine, and it has 2016-2017 imprinted on the bottom right corner on the back.  Since DD1's pass had been issued on 12/23/15, the CM gave her a new plastic card, just in case.

Most CM's ask to see the card and a photo ID in order to apply any passholder discounts.  The MB itself isn't enough.  If I'm making a purchase, I always have my plastic pass and photo ID out to speed things up.

TCD

Radical !  

You are supposed to wait until everything has been rung up, then tell them you are a passholder and start digging for your card in you pockets, then remember it's in your commando backpack with 32 zippered compartments and you have to search thru everyone.  Meanwhile you have to take 3 cell phone calls and take a couple of selfies.

Bonus points if you are extra loud on the cell phone while speaking Spanish.

We buy some WDW gift cards before leaving home, and use those instead of Credit/Debit cards.  We never give out our CC info. to be placed on the Magic Bands.  BTW, for every $50 in gift cards I buy, we get 10 cents off a gallon of gas.  There have been times that we have been able to fuel up the RV for free, up to 30 gallons, upon our return home.  Something to look into if that is offered in your neck of the woods.

39 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Radical !  

You are supposed to wait until everything has been rung up, then tell them you are a passholder and start digging for your card in you pockets, then remember it's in your commando backpack with 32 zippered compartments and you have to search thru everyone.  Meanwhile you have to take 3 cell phone calls and take a couple of selfies.

Bonus points if you are extra loud on the cell phone while speaking Spanish.

That would be more funny to me if it wasn't so close to the truth!

TCD

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 1:42 PM, Duane said:

They even threw in the little passholder slider. 

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:58 PM, Travisma said:

As others reported they came with the undated passholder sliders.

I'm glad that y'all got your passholder sliders, because this is what I got with my new MagicBand:

slider_zpsqoxlghjn.jpg

So, they can print up this slick insert, but they somehow ran out of the sliders that they've been using for over a year?  Did no one notice that the supply was getting low? How long would it take to get a new batch shipped over from China?

How much do you want to be that I'll never get that slider in the mail when they get their new shipment?

TCD

46 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I'm glad that y'all got your passholder sliders, because this is what I got with my new MagicBand:

slider_zpsqoxlghjn.jpg

So, they can print up this slick insert, but they somehow ran out of the sliders that they've been using for over a year?  Did no one notice that the supply was getting low? How long would it take to get a new batch shipped over from China?

How much do you want to be that I'll never get that slider in the mail when they get their new shipment?

TCD

We got the sliders last year and this year, undated of course, but never got the new magnet.

23 minutes ago, Travisma said:

We got the sliders last year and this year, undated of course, but never got the new magnet.

At least Passholder Services is consistently inconsistent.

I got the undated slider last year.  I'm hoping that the delay might be because they're coming up with a new design, or at least a dated slider for 2017.  Why do they have to be so cheap with everything?

TCD

1 minute ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

At least Passholder Services is consistently inconsistent.

I got the undated slider last year.  I'm hoping that the delay might be because they're coming up with a new design, or at least a dated slider for 2017.  Why do they have to be so cheap with everything?

TCD

I can understand the undated ones.  They can order them by the ton and not have to worry if they

1: Run out of dated ones and then passholders not get any

2: Have excess dated ones by years end and have to toss/recycle them.

Of course if they ran out of dated ones they could substitute undated, but with how well they handle just getting them in every package now I don't see them being able to be that advanced.

Maybe when this shipment of orange runs out they will switch colors?

5 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I can understand the undated ones.  They can order them by the ton and not have to worry if they

1: Run out of dated ones and then passholders not get any

2: Have excess dated ones by years end and have to toss/recycle them.

Of course if they ran out of dated ones they could substitute undated, but with how well they handle just getting them in every package now I don't see them being able to be that advanced.

Maybe when this shipment of orange runs out they will switch colors?

Yeah, I thought the undated ones would mean they would have a endless supply.

But, they apparently aren't going to have any sliders until "later this spring."  In Disney-speak that could mean a lot of things.

TCD

37 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Yeah, I thought the undated ones would mean they would have a endless supply.

But, they apparently aren't going to have any sliders until "later this spring."  In Disney-speak that could mean a lot of things.

TCD

I cant see your picture, but when did you get new bands?

We renewed about the 3rd week of December, got the bands near the end of the month

25 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I cant see your picture, but when did you get new bands?

We renewed about the 3rd week of December, got the bands near the end of the month

My new band was shipped last week and arrived yesterday.

The photo you can't see is a photo of an insert that was in the box telling me that my Passholder slider is not enclose because they are temporarily out of stock.  It says that they will mail me my slider "later this spring."  It also has a photo of the undated Passholder sliders that they used all of 2016.

TCD