There is only one way to handle tree rats but unfortunately it isn't allowed at the Fort. We use to have to keep our water containers in the car or bear box when we would camp at Lassen NP or else the tree rats would nibble holes in them to use as a drinking fountain.

Our old house in Colorado was about a 1/4 mile from some people who kept peacocks and they are some of the noisiest animals I've ever heard. Even as far away as we were they were loud enough to be annoying sitting on the patio. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a dog who loves to go for walks at 4 am.  Vacation makes no difference to him.  On our trip in October, on one walk around the 500 loop, we saw armadillo, turkeys, raccoons.  I usually seen 10

Now I am picturing a raccoon stashing starlight mints in a little nest made of sticks held together with Eternabond.  

You can usually find deer, Turkey and gators around the main canal behind 1500. Lots of deer at dusk along the path between the fort and the lodge.

Growing up, my grandparents had neighbors with peacocks.  Beautiful birds, but come sunrise...good grief those things are loud.  Forget a rooster to wake you up, just get a peacock!

I've only seen one gator at Disney; it was out in the lake, about 500 yards from the dock.  I know they are in the canals, but I'm not brace enough to go back there with a flashlight at night to look for them.

I agree with the deer being bold, especially on the bike path to the lodge.  One trip, we stopped our bikes to allow them to pass...and they just turned and walked towards us.  We slowly weaved around them and kept going, but now we try not to stop for them, but rather slow down and move pass past them.

We used to stay in the 100 loop a lot, and that's where I'd see the most wildlife.  Not sure why.  Our sites were always by the canal, so maybe that played apart.  It was, while sitting outside one night in 113, that 2 small raccoons crawled down the tree that I was sitting next to..maybe 5 feet from me.  Even though I grew up with raccoons in our yard, I'm embarrassed to admit that, until that point, is never stopped to realize that raccoons climb trees ☺️

10 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

The squirrels also steal bananas (probably any food you might have around) right out of your bag sitting on your RV steps. 

I'm not sure about the peacocks at the Fort but we used or still might have some at the flea market here, they were pretty but would chase you down and we're very aggressive. There's a neighborhood out on longboat key that started with 2 in the 50s and in 2016 had 50+ out wild and breeding. They started to trap them a few years ago and try to relocate them because they were becoming such a nuisance.

Because idiot guests feed the squirrels, they are terrible. They steal your food, chew on your propane lines, hide stuff under your trailer and bark at you for sitting near their "stuff".

15 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Because idiot guests feed the squirrels, they are terrible. They steal your food, chew on your propane lines, hide stuff under your trailer and bark at you for sitting near their "stuff".

They'll chew your propane line?!  I did not know that.:wacko:

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

They'll chew your propane line?!  I did not know that.:wacko:

They sure will happened to us at the fort came back and the whole area smelled like propane. I went to alert the campers next to us they had a leak and then realized it was ours leaking. They chewed a large hole through the propane line that went to the refrigerator underneath the camper. They also chewed a hole through our stroller to get to a cookie, my daughter had left I  it.

1 hour ago, LONE-STAR said:

They sure will happened to us at the fort came back and the whole area smelled like propane. I went to alert the campers next to us they had a leak and then realized it was ours leaking. They chewed a large hole through the propane line that went to the refrigerator underneath the camper. They also chewed a hole through our stroller to get to a cookie, my daughter had left I  it.

Wow. The cookie I get...but the propane line....wow.  Now I'm anxious about that ☹️

18 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Wow. The cookie I get...but the propane line....wow.  Now I'm anxious about that ☹️

Rubber flex hose must taste sweet. It was a pain because we couldn't use our fridge on the drive back home.

6 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Tree rats will also get up into the engine compartment and chew on the wiring.

I saw a cat crawling into my truck engine through the fender well about 2 weeks ago I was glad I saw him so I could chase him out.

7 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Tree rats chewed thru a propane hose to my daughters Big Easy on her deck up in MN.  Some of the independent hardware stores up there sell a long spring that you twist onto the hoses to protect them. And at the Fort they are a pain because people feed them and the get bolder each generation

We have fed them but never on purpose it's normally my daughter leaves a plate of food out and when she comes back to eat it the squirrels have gotten it.

1 hour ago, LONE-STAR said:

Rubber flex hose must taste sweet. It was a pain because we couldn't use our fridge on the drive back home.

Some hoses, wire insulation and plastics are made with soy by products so they attract the rodents...   

18 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

Well that's not smart.

Agreed.

4 hours ago, keith_h said:

Tree rats will also get up into the engine compartment and chew on the wiring.

That sounds familiar....actually, now I'm remembering some sort  of rat proof tape.  May have seen it, at an RV show.  I imagine that if that works, that it might work for squirrels as well..??

31 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Agreed.

That sounds familiar....actually, now I'm remembering some sort  of rat proof tape.  May have seen it, at an RV show.  I imagine that if that works, that it might work for squirrels as well..??

Tree Rat = Squirrel

49 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Agreed.

If you have appliances in your slides and it would work for squirrels that would be worth buying.

11 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Tree Rat = Squirrel

Right...what I meant was, the tape I'm thinking of was specifically designed for mice/rats (I don't think it had a picture of a squirrel), but maybes that product could work as a deterrent for squirrels as well.

Best place to spot wildlife at the Fort in November was our site!  We were in 335 and it backs up to a bushy area with a small bit of canal behind, and is also fairly close to the big canal and back path to the Settlement.  We regularly had armadillos, turkeys, deer, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, hawks and even eagles flying overhead.

We had a small freezer outside the camper and one morning there were raccoon prints all over it.  Thankfully they didn't get into anything, since we were already aware of the obnoxious squirrels and left nothing around, but the night after Halloween we came around our loop in the cart and spotted a couple on the back of our neighbors golf cart.  Apparently someone left candy out as there were wrappers everywhere.

The armadillos made a racket at night - you'd have sworn they were 6 feet tall from the noise. They spooked my brother and his wife their first night in the tent.

The hawks must have had a nest nearby as we saw and/or heard them every day.

One day a couple of deer popped out of the brush and our dog Lyn, who was in the pen at the back of the site, just about lost her mind.  We didn't see them again at our site for a few days, but saw them all over the Fort most days, especially in the evenings. One night we went over to the cabin pool fairly late, and when we jumped back on the golf cart and turned the lights on, there were 3 standing about 10-15 feet away. 

Then there was the day Bz had a staring contest with a group of turkeys - the turkeys won.  LOL

There's an eagle's nest in a tree over by the lake, and we saw them overhead a few times too.

It was a wild time!  ;) 

18 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

We had a small freezer outside the camper and one morning there were raccoon prints all over it. 

That would be Larry and Lester, my trained raccoons.  They raid freezers and ice machines for me to keep my ice supply full for Kungaloosh.