February 2011 Trip Report From TCD

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I continue to be astounded at the decisions being made "over there." Speaking for myself, I have no desire to be hostile to anyone. The success of our site is entirely independent of the success of th

OK, stand back. DaveinTN has requested an update, and By Golly, he's going to get one! I've got 30 new photos loaded, so let's knock this one out! It's still Saturday morning. I have been away from th

Yes. I’m back. It’s really me. I was just taking a break. For those of you who are not familiar with me, I do that from time to time. In this case, I have taken a permanent break from the place where

A girl spends some forced time away, due to packing for a move, and she misses the return of TCD. The horror and the guilt :P... and like so many others, I now must go rest my strained and weakened eyes, my caporal tunneled wrists, and my sprained mouse clicking-n-scrolling finger. 18 pages in an hour... but it sure was good fun! Glad to see you join the land of the fiends and so far I have greatly enjoyed the report!

Thanks, Whip.

Somewhere along the line I think I saw mention of a visit by you and the crew being planned for Halloween. Is that correct?

If so, would be it be safe to assume that there will be a duct tape creation?

I sure hope so!

TCD

We had a two week vacation planned for this Halloween - we were going to come down with out new camper which has ample room for my latest duck tape creation (its a bit taller than the last) - but we had an unexpected family situation take over our lives(Im knocked up with Baby number 3 due October 22) so unfortunately no Halloween trip this year. We are definately going at least twice next year - aiming for April and Halloween (perhaps Christmas too if DH agrees). So glad you are here TCD - now new people will stop asking where you are!

A girl spends some forced time away, due to packing for a move, and she misses the return of TCD. The horror and the guilt :P... and like so many others, I now must go rest my strained and weakened eyes, my caporal tunneled wrists, and my sprained mouse clicking-n-scrolling finger. 18 pages in an hour... but it sure was good fun! Glad to see you join the land of the fiends and so far I have greatly enjoyed the report!

Ditto - this TR killed my whole morning - worth every minute!

All 18 pages in an hour?

No fair just looking at the pictures!

You have to go back and read all of the witty comments.

These will be on the final exam.

We had a two week vacation planned for this Halloween - we were going to come down with out new camper which has ample room for my latest duck tape creation (its a bit taller than the last) - but we had an unexpected family situation take over our lives(Im knocked up with Baby number 3 due October 22) so unfortunately no Halloween trip this year. We are definately going at least twice next year - aiming for April and Halloween (perhaps Christmas too if DH agrees). So glad you are here TCD - now new people will stop asking where you are!

First, congratulations on being knocked-up (I have to say you have quite a way with words).

Second, boo on your not coming this Halloween. If the baby comes on time, wouldn't you be out of the hospital by then?

So what's the problem?

There's too much hostility here. Too many mean people. I am going to change my identity and go to Voldemort and join the thousands who joined since we left. :banana: :banana:

Don't forget the very rude comments, too.

Have fun back at the other place.

But, you are going to get lost among all of those new members.

What inordinate favor has been bestowed upon you! Only the most gifted and beautiful people are born on October 22! You are surely beloved of God.

ShantaClausSm.png

Whose birthday is it on October 22?

Bevis'?

or

Butthead's?

TCD

Back to our report.

I have got to get this one finished.

It is getting way too long.

Who is going to read an 18 (soon to be 19+) page trip report?

It may be great, but I wouldn't.

So we have got to get to the end here.

We are getting close.

We left off on Sunday night.

We got to bed late.

But, I was up early.

Surprised your there, didn't I?

Unfortunately, it was time to pack up and go home.

We were going to follow our new practice.

Which is, the girls would head to a park for rope drop, and I would stay back at camp to pack up.

So, I got up early.

Early enough to enjoy a peaceful sunrise at the marina:

100_9367.jpg

Here's the Settlement Trading Post at sunrise:

100_9368.jpg

Let's try that again:

100_9369.jpg

Note the survey markers up around the fire hydrant.

There was a rumor floating around last year (started by OtterSpotter) that the Settlement Trading Post was going to done away with. So I take photos of it whenever I visit. Since this visit, however, they put a new roof on it in March. And WBI discovered plans for the new Backyard BBQ pavilion which suggest that the Trading Post is not going anywhere. So that is good.

By the way, if you haven't seen WBI's thread, here's a link. He discovered some very big news: Breaking News!

I love how mist rises off of Bay Lake on cold mornings in the winter:

100_9370.jpg

Here is a very misty Bay Lake:

100_9371.jpg

If you look very carefully near the center of these photos, you can see a fishing party out on the lake:

100_9372.jpg

100_9373.jpg

100_9374.jpg

100_9375.jpg

Do you know how many Lake Patrol boats ply the waters of Bay Lake?

A lot:

100_9376.jpg

Here we are on the dock at the marina, looking toward Discovery Island and the Contemporary Resort:

100_9377.jpg

I like the fact that you can see the resort monorail track from here. It is hard to see in this photo, but if you were really standing here, you would be able to see the monorail track in the opening to the left of Discovery Island:

100_9378.jpg

If some of the rumors circulating are true, there will be a DVC resort built some day in the area on the left in the photo above.

One of the things that I really appreciate is that you will almost always find a castmember cleaning something in the Settlement area in the morning. Here, a fellow is pressure washing the dock:

100_9379.jpg

100_9380.jpg

Here's a shot of good old Clementine's Beach:

100_9381.jpg

According to everything I have seen, while there may be a lot of new things constructed all around this area, the beach is going to be left alone.

Now we are turned and looking to the East, the rumored new pavilion will be built in the area to the right of this shot:

100_9382.jpg

And, here, we are looking out at beautiful Bay Lake:

100_9383.jpg

The young cypress trees here on the beach have almost dropped all of their leaves:

100_9384.jpg

Not to worry.

Winter lasts but a short time in central Florida.

By early March, these trees will be covered with new leaves.

According to what I have seen, our old friend, the lawnmower tree stump is not long for this world. So here's a photo:

100_9385.jpg

And another, from just a bit of a different angle. You can see Trail's End/Pioneer Hall there in the background:

100_9386.jpg

Another shot of the buildings:

100_9387.jpg

Here is a look at the lawnmower for which this tree I mean stump gets its name:

100_9388.jpg

I am afraid that someday soon, this sign will be for sale on Ebay:

100_9389.jpg

That's all I have of the marina area.

For now.

From here, we travel to the Meadow Trading Post.

I saw something going on there on my way to the Settlement.

So, I had to investigate.

Right?

Right!

Look, there are four work vans parked here.

Four!:

100_9390.jpg

What is going on here?

There were four workers congregated around a pipe near the beginning of the sidewalk that leads to the 1200/1300 loops.

I casually walked over there to take a photo of the pool from this point:

100_9391.jpg

And the bridge, too:

100_9392.jpg

And, then I snapped a photo of the workers. They had all been looking at me. Until I looked at them. Then they all tried to look busy studying the little pipe on the ground:

100_9393.jpg

I have no idea what this pipe is for.

But, obviously, it must be for something important.

From here, it was back to site 2009 to get the girls up and going.

There are still more photos to come.

TCD

Man! An 18 pages + trip report for a couple of days at the Fort.... Heck TCD, if you go for a week, Chris and Jen are gonna have to call up Al Gore and order up some more internet space..... I think we may be close to end of the internet now :smug:

Its good to have you back. The place would be the same without your reports. I have read every page, a little late start albeit, but enjoyed every one of them. I have been to honeymoon island a few times and had no idea you frequent it. Ill have to be on the look out next time we venture over that way.

I was going to do a trip report of our visit next week, but now am a bit gun shy. Ill never be able to compete with this monster and am way too old to be hacking my way through the back woods of the Fort to find the rails, so Im glad you took the bullet for us and showed us a piece of history. I still carry my Junoir TCD badge and I proudly show anyone willing to listen.

Man! An 18 pages + trip report for a couple of days at the Fort.... Heck TCD, if you go for a week, Chris and Jen are gonna have to call up Al Gore and order up some more internet space..... I think we may be close to end of the internet now :smug:

LOL!

Hopefully there is plenty of space for future contributions.

Love Rocky! :heart:

Me too.

He is really an awesome dog.

Its good to have you back. The place would be the same without your reports. I have read every page, a little late start albeit, but enjoyed every one of them. I have been to honeymoon island a few times and had no idea you frequent it. Ill have to be on the look out next time we venture over that way.

I was going to do a trip report of our visit next week, but now am a bit gun shy. Ill never be able to compete with this monster and am way too old to be hacking my way through the back woods of the Fort to find the rails, so Im glad you took the bullet for us and showed us a piece of history. I still carry my Junoir TCD badge and I proudly show anyone willing to listen.

Hey Devores!

Good to see you here.

Don't be shy about posting. You have made great contributions before.

You did a great trip report last year, with some unique photos.

Not all trip reports need to be bloated messes like this one.

In fact, I for one appreciate a short trip report with a few quality photos.

The problem with me is that I lack the quality photos, so I make up for it with volume.

And, I'll bet a lot of people would be surprised to hear that you are the person who invented the Fiendmingo.

You are a legend!

You are a TCD Junior Deputy.

I want to see some photos!

TCD

Fort Fiends rule!!!!!

TCD

Fiends? Really? Surely you misspoke. Anyone enlightened and genteel enough to prefer "corn toss" over the traditional, less politically correct (and dare I add, vulgar) "corn hole" would no doubt prefer the equally respectable and refined Fort Friends. I'm sure it was just a typo.

ShantaClausSm.png

All 18 pages in an hour?

No fair just looking at the pictures!

You have to go back and read all of the witty comments.

These will be on the final exam.

Truthfully, I am sure it took longer than a hour.... I was too engrossed to time it. I'll fess up and admit I didn't read everyone's comments but I did read all of the trip report and about 75% of the comments. I have just one request... please don't make the test on the flags.... I've got to study up on that!!

We are home and I have finally caught up with this report! I have really enjoyed reading along! !am hoping that we are rearranging some of our trips around and might be at the Fort for Halloween! I would love to meet you in person!

You've finally caught up reading this TR ... I've been caught up here. Catching up OUR TR was the problem. Alas, it's finished because we are no longer there cry.gif

Awesome report, as always! Love the pics of TCD dog, the twins and everything at the Fort. :dance:

On another note,

And, I will be sure to watch Christmas Vacation again come Christmas time this year.

I haven't watched that movie in a long time. I don't remember the squirrel part at all.

If you really don't remember the squirrel part, then you've got to watch that movie a lot sooner than Christmas. Too good to wait for!

Finally,

cornholio_2.png

Best picture in a trip report, ever!