February 2011 Trip Report From TCD

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I continue to be astounded at the decisions being made "over there." Speaking for myself, I have no desire to be hostile to anyone. The success of our site is entirely independent of the success of th

OK, stand back. DaveinTN has requested an update, and By Golly, he's going to get one! I've got 30 new photos loaded, so let's knock this one out! It's still Saturday morning. I have been away from th

Yes. I’m back. It’s really me. I was just taking a break. For those of you who are not familiar with me, I do that from time to time. In this case, I have taken a permanent break from the place where

Just off to my left, I find the path that leads to the 2000 loop:

100_9054.jpg

100_9055.jpg

100_9056.jpg

100_9057.jpg

The path comes out here on the 2000 loop. If you look just to the left of the pop-up bunk end on the right of the second photo below, you will see the interior 2000 loop comfort station in the background:

100_9058.jpg

100_9059.jpg

There is a sidewalk that cuts across the loop right next to this comfort station:

100_9060.jpg

TCD

YOYOYOYO Good to see your back in the groove of things.

I need more details of this "path" i have never heard of such of a thing! Who? What? Where? When? Why?

Wow! I disappear for awhile, and what do I come back to? A TCD Trip Report! And two days before my birthday. Pretty thoughtful, if I do say so, myself.

Did I really just read all 22 pages? Yes, yes I did. I should've taken notes. There are things that I was going to comment on. I will forget things. I know it. But, let's see...

The 2000 Loop. We stayed there back in November, if you recall from my TR. What? You don't remember my TR? All 6 pages of it? That's okay. I barely remember it. Anywho, we stayed in 2007. It was nice except for the kids playing flashlight tag on my site in the middle of the night. I had to bust out my teacher voice. No kid wants to hear a teacher voice on vacation.

Horseshoe Bend. We have a Horseshoe Bend behind my house. Nothing really interesting happened back there. Unless you count the Native American burial grounds, or the big barn where cults were rumored to do animal sacrifice. On second thought, maybe I should define "interesting"...

Awesome about those rusty ol' nails! My dad is retiring from the railroad in a few years. Two of his favorite things are the Fort and the railroad. It'd have been pretty cool to put my sign out and hope for a visit from the Spike Fairy. Alas, our Fort trip for the year has been postponed. Guess he'll have to settle for a new (and only) grandson. I guess it's a fair trade off.

Pinocchio's Village Haus. I'm still mad because they didn't want to put lettuce and tomatoes on my fries. Plus, it was crowded. Maybe I'll be back later. Maybe.

Hmm...what am I forgetting?

Oh, yeah. How could I forget? Steel balls. Yeah, I don't get it, either. My ob/gyn posted a picture of a pink pair on FB. I mean, a pink pair hanging from a truck. What did you think that I meant?

I am the great cornholio. I need T.P. T.P. for my...oh wait. No, I'm not. And no, I don't. We just bought some. Never mind. Carrying on...

Three hours to paint two barrels? Sounds like City workers around here. I guess there's something to be said for job security.

Ah, and a TCDRMOG award. Yeah, I'd say he's a real genius.

Maybe there was more that I was gonna say. Maybe not.

At any rate, welcome to Fort Fiends, TCD!

YOYOYOYO Good to see your back in the groove of things.

I need more details of this "path" i have never heard of such of a thing! Who? What? Where? When? Why?

Hey Lug!

It has been a while.

Thanks for stopping by.

I won't razz you like some of the others have- the point is that you made it here and you checked in.

So, good job!

The path is just a path that you can find to your left as soon as you have crossed the footbridge from the 900 loop leading toward Creekside Meadow (the group camping area). It is a convenient short cut for 2000 loop campers. But, you wouldn't ever be camping in the 2000 loop, would you?

I hope to see you around the Fort sometime.

Thank you TCD for setting the bar - you haven't lost your touch.

Aw, Thanks.

Great report Andrew thanks for posting

Thanks. Glad you liked it.

Another great TCD trip report! Thanks for sharing with us!!!

The pleasure was all mine, VCL.

Wow! I disappear for awhile, and what do I come back to? A TCD Trip Report! And two days before my birthday. Pretty thoughtful, if I do say so, myself.

Did I really just read all 22 pages? Yes, yes I did. I should've taken notes. There are things that I was going to comment on. I will forget things. I know it. But, let's see...

The 2000 Loop. We stayed there back in November, if you recall from my TR. What? You don't remember my TR? All 6 pages of it? That's okay. I barely remember it. Anywho, we stayed in 2007. It was nice except for the kids playing flashlight tag on my site in the middle of the night. I had to bust out my teacher voice. No kid wants to hear a teacher voice on vacation.

Horseshoe Bend. We have a Horseshoe Bend behind my house. Nothing really interesting happened back there. Unless you count the Native American burial grounds, or the big barn where cults were rumored to do animal sacrifice. On second thought, maybe I should define "interesting"...

Awesome about those rusty ol' nails! My dad is retiring from the railroad in a few years. Two of his favorite things are the Fort and the railroad. It'd have been pretty cool to put my sign out and hope for a visit from the Spike Fairy. Alas, our Fort trip for the year has been postponed. Guess he'll have to settle for a new (and only) grandson. I guess it's a fair trade off.

Pinocchio's Village Haus. I'm still mad because they didn't want to put lettuce and tomatoes on my fries. Plus, it was crowded. Maybe I'll be back later. Maybe.

Hmm...what am I forgetting?

Oh, yeah. How could I forget? Steel balls. Yeah, I don't get it, either. My ob/gyn posted a picture of a pink pair on FB. I mean, a pink pair hanging from a truck. What did you think that I meant?

I am the great cornholio. I need T.P. T.P. for my...oh wait. No, I'm not. And no, I don't. We just bought some. Never mind. Carrying on...

Three hours to paint two barrels? Sounds like City workers around here. I guess there's something to be said for job security.

Ah, and a TCDRMOG award. Yeah, I'd say he's a real genius.

Maybe there was more that I was gonna say. Maybe not.

At any rate, welcome to Fort Fiends, TCD!

Wow!

You really did read it all.

Good job on those comments!

And, Happy Birthday.

I will save a spike for your dad. Please be sure to let me know when you will be back at the Fort.

Why did you want lettuce and tomatoes on your fries? I don't remember that story at all.

Your comment about the painter reminded me of something. I have another photo of him from a previous trip. I think you are right about him deserving a TCDRMOG award. I'll see if I can dig up that photo.

Oh, and congratulations on the upcoming arrival. I remember when he was just a raisin (or was he a grape?) in your countdown. Looks like it won't be too much longer now!

TCD

OK- I found my other photo of the painter.

This one was taken early in the morning on New Year's Day, 2011.

That's right -New Year's Day- January 1st.

This trash can needed to be painted, and by golly, the painter got up bright and early on New Year's Day to get the job done!:

100_1679.jpg

You may not be able to tell that it is the same guy.

But it is.

I also saw him once delivering rocking chairs to the Trail's End porch. I guess he had taken them somewhere to be painted.

This guy is always dressed in all white, and he never has as much as a drop of paint on him.

So, based on Yodagirl's nomination, I hereby award the painter a Real Man of Genius Award!

Mr. slow painter man we salute you!

Congratulations!

TCD

I hope you saw my not-so-subtle request for assistance with the blurry PDF at the end of post #407 above.

TCD

Au contraire mon frere, your request was very subtle. So subtle in fact that even now that you have told me where to look I still don't see it! But of course I'd be happy to see if I can clear things up. Just shoot it to me in an email. I wouldn't hold my breath based on the screen shots, though, it looks like it may be a scan rather than vector art.

Au contraire mon frere, your request was very subtle. So subtle in fact that even now that you have told me where to look I still don't see it! But of course I'd be happy to see if I can clear things up. Just shoot it to me in an email. I wouldn't hold my breath based on the screen shots, though, it looks like it may be a scan rather than vector art.

Thanks, I sent it to you.

Another thing that would be useful would be if someone could do one of those photo overlays with the drawing and an aerial photo. I know that you, VCL and Bay Lake Campers have done such magic in the past. Anyone want to take a whack at that?

TCD

As I returned to my cart, I noticed this National Guard golf cart:

100_9417.jpg

What is this about?

Who has a National Guard golf cart?

Are there National Guard recruiters on official business at the Fort?

If not, who is using this golf cart, and why?

Next up . . .

We will get packed up.

And that means it's time to go.

Just one more installment.

And this one is in the can.

TCD

TCD- On our 2009 little stay there was a very very nice MH in the 500 loop by the CS walkway with government plates and decals that said Department of Homeland Security it was there 5 days. That’s our tax dollars working hard for us. I did see the family using it was a man his wife and 2 kids. I wish I took pictures

TCD- On our 2009 little stay there was a very very nice MH in the 500 loop by the CS walkway with government plates and decals that said Department of Homeland Security it was there 5 days. That’s our tax dollars working hard for us. I did see the family using it was a man his wife and 2 kids. I wish I took pictures

Hmmm.

that is interesting.

I saw this tag on an A-liner pulling out of the 300 loop back in 2009.

FWHalloween20093691.jpg

I don't know what kind of official government business requires camping at the Fort, but I would like to work for that agency.

So the National Guard cart could be: 1) Dale Jr 2) a Dale Jr. fan or 3) a government employee

Not sure which one I should be more afraid of! :rofl2:

LOL!

Definitely #3!

TCD

You ask for it... The image you have is very poor, but here is a quick and dirty run. It looks like they are going to put a traffic circle in. How is that going to work with 45' rv's and buses?:rofl2:

KMMWp.jpg

WHOA!!

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!

THANK YOU!

Please head over to WannaBeImaineer's thread over in the Construction News area and see if you can do that with the drawing of the pavilion and the new golf cart parking area. I am having a hard time figuring out how much space is actually going to be taken up by the new project.

TCD

FWHalloween20093691.jpg

I don't know what kind of official government business requires camping at the Fort, but I would like to work for that agency.

That is the same tag I saw DHS is Department of Homeland Security. It must be common for people to use goverment RV's to camp at the Fort

You ask for it... The image you have is very poor, but here is a quick and dirty run. It looks like they are going to put a traffic circle in. How is that going to work with 45' rv's and buses?:rofl2:

Great job with the overlay BayLake!

Maybe that will be one of those traffic circles where the median isn't raised just brick pavers so you can run over it all you want!

Wow!

You really did read it all.

Good job on those comments!

And, Happy Birthday.

I will save a spike for your dad. Please be sure to let me know when you will be back at the Fort.

Why did you want lettuce and tomatoes on your fries? I don't remember that story at all.

Your comment about the painter reminded me of something. I have another photo of him from a previous trip. I think you are right about him deserving a TCDRMOG award. I'll see if I can dig up that photo.

Oh, and congratulations on the upcoming arrival. I remember when he was just a raisin (or was he a grape?) in your countdown. Looks like it won't be too much longer now!

TCD

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Also thanks for saving a spike for my dad. I won't be back down there until December 2012. That's over two years without a Fort Fix. :blink: My brother and SIL will be down there in about 4 or 5 weeks, though.

Ah, the lettuce and tomatoes. Once upon a time, they had a thing called Figaro Fries. Figaro Fries consisted of bacon, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and ranch sauce. In 2008 (I think), they removed the lettuce, tomatoes, and ranch, and called them loaded fries. I had heard that there were issues with ordering them with lettuce and tomato, but I thought, "Who would really care about putting lettuce and tomatoes on fries?". Well, that answer would be every CM working there. I actually had to get management. They told me that they weren't supposed to put lettuce and tomatoes on fries anymore. They eventually did, but they weren't happy about it. What did they think was going to happen? Was it going to self-destruct?

This pregnancy has gone much quicker than with DD. Only 13 weeks left. :o