February 2011 Trip Report From TCD

Great TR - great pics - great update! Love some Rocky pics! Boxers have that playful manner... and don't you dare try and catch them -we are not one quarter the athlete they are!

Really enjoyed the fog pics.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I continue to be astounded at the decisions being made "over there." Speaking for myself, I have no desire to be hostile to anyone. The success of our site is entirely independent of the success of th

OK, stand back. DaveinTN has requested an update, and By Golly, he's going to get one! I've got 30 new photos loaded, so let's knock this one out! It's still Saturday morning. I have been away from th

Yes. I’m back. It’s really me. I was just taking a break. For those of you who are not familiar with me, I do that from time to time. In this case, I have taken a permanent break from the place where

Picking up DD21 at work today, we saw a dog that looked just like Rocky leaving the store. Of course, it wasn't Rocky... it didn't take close examination or rocket science to know that either... we could tell b/c this boxer was wearing a pink sundress with big white polka dots... :rofl2:

Welcome back TCD, missed your reports.

Thanks.

I remember you.

I hope to see more of your posts about the old days at the Fort.

As always, loving your TR!

CCI!

Good to see you here.

Thanks for checking in.

I already posted a couple of comments on your trip report.

If anyone reading along here hasn't read CCI's trip report, check it out. You can currently find it on the same page as this one, maybe just a thread or two in either direction.

I hate to see this report coming to an end... :( but I have enjoyed every twist and turn and every step through the weeds!

We are getting close to the end, but we are not there yet.

So don't go anywhere.

There is still a bit more to come!

I'm a little late to the party but great report!

Better late than never.

Welcome.

Picking up DD21 at work today, we saw a dog that looked just like Rocky leaving the store. Of course, it wasn't Rocky... it didn't take close examination or rocket science to know that either... we could tell b/c this boxer was wearing a pink sundress with big white polka dots... :rofl2:

Well, duh.

Rocky would never wear polka dots.

He prefers solid colors, and maybe occasionally a floral pattern, on his sundresses.

TCD

Continuing with our story . . .

It is Monday morning, February 14th.

I get the girls up early so they can get their stuff packed and out of the camper.

And get ready for a rope drop.

They chose Animal Kingdom.

In the past, I have driven the girls to their park of choice on the morning of our departure. It works out great for me. I can then get packed up, and they are not sitting around being bored.

This morning they said they would take the bus.

So, I drove them to the Outpost.

An AK bus pulled right up.

And they were off.

On my way back to camp, I noticed that there was a big storage container parked off to the side near the golf cart drop off area:

100_9394.jpg

100_9395.jpg

I wonder what that is there for?

There were also a bunch of trucks lined up right behind the check-in lanes:

100_9396.jpg

They were moving stuff into the storage container:

100_9397.jpg

You can see a shelving unit in the the front of the photo, and a set of lockers there in the back of the storage container.

The stuff was being carried out of the upstairs part of the building situated in the middle of the check in lanes:

100_9398.jpg

Let's try that one more time without the sun:

100_9399.jpg

So what is going on here?

I accidentally wandered into that area once.

Honestly.

I was looking for the internet cafe.

This was a few years ago.

A castmember told me that it was in the building between the check-in lanes.

I didn't know that there was an entrance on the ground level in the front, and I had seen castmember walking up here. So, up I went.

It was just an office/breakroom area.

I think they were probably just replacing the carpet or something.

No big deal.

But, while I am here, here's another shot of the trucks parked there:

100_9400.jpg

There's the storage container, way over there.

100_9401.jpg

I would have parked it closer.

Here's some of the stuff that was moved out:

100_9402.jpg

100_9403.jpg

100_9404.jpg

I stepped over to the Reception Outpost area.

They always have a great butterfly garden planted here:

100_9405.jpg

The new banners for this year are up:

100_9406.jpg

If you are ever looking for something to do at the Fort, there is some great people watching available from the rocking chairs you see on the porch up there:

100_9407.jpg

100_9408.jpg

You can see the work trucks from here:

100_9409.jpg

Some more shots of the garden;

100_9410.jpg

100_9411.jpg

They use this big tank to water the flowers planted around the Fort:

100_9412.jpg

Before getting going with the packing, I visited Trail's End for one more cup of coffee.

See that square slab next to the fence in these photos?:

100_9413.jpg

100_9414.jpg

There used to be a trash can there.

A trash can that still had Musket Mickey on it.

Did one of you take it?

I have seen this fellow around the Fort before:

100_9415.jpg

100_9416.jpg

I want his job.

Notice that he is getting ready to paint that barrel.

I don't think it was quite 9 am yet.

How long do you figure it will take him to paint a barrel?

I think you will be surprised.

We will check back on him later.

As I returned to my cart, I noticed this National Guard golf cart:

100_9417.jpg

What is this about?

Who has a National Guard golf cart?

Are there National Guard recruiters on official business at the Fort?

If not, who is using this golf cart, and why?

Next up . . .

We will get packed up.

And that means it's time to go.

Just one more installment.

And this one is in the can.

TCD

I really am looking forward to my next Fort visit. Most of our experiences we have traveled with friends or family and have spent most of our time at the parks. This time I am going to spend my time with Fort Fiends and enjoy the relaxation that the fort provides.

I think one of those rocking chairs has my name on it. :banana:

TCD ~ If I had to guess about the National Guard golf cart, I would say the owner of the cart is a Dale Jr. fan. The only other thing I will say about that is to please be careful if you see it around the fort again! There is about a 99% chance that it will hit something before it reaches its destination. :rofl2:

TCD ~ If I had to guess about the National Guard golf cart, I would say the owner of the cart is a Dale Jr. fan. The only other thing I will say about that is to please be careful if you see it around the fort again! There is about a 99% chance that it will hit something before it reaches its destination. :rofl2:

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Man TCD, I have been checking back every few hours looking for my Trip Report fix.... I was beginning to think that you were holding out for a bigger royalty check....

:blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

I am a lurker who is very glad to have tracked down the new home of the TCD Trip Reports! Thanks for all of the great info, narrative, & pics you give us!!

WELCOME!!!!!! You need to run over to the introduce yourself thread so more folks can properly welcome you!!!

Ah, NASCAR humor!

I don't get it.

or maybe it WAS Dale Jr. The 500 was the next week.

Best Regards,

Norm

That is a good point.

This photos is a few months old.

Man TCD, I have been checking back every few hours looking for my Trip Report fix.... I was beginning to think that you were holding out for a bigger royalty check....

Keep checking back.

I do need to get paid more. I am getting paid the same here as at the old place.

I wish I had thought to take that Musket Mickey garbage can. Wouldn't that be the coolest thing to have in the garage? :parrot:

If I had that can, it wouldn't be in my garage. It would be in a place of honor! :banana:

Hmmm.

You two are now on the list of official suspects.

TCD

I am a lurker who is very glad to have tracked down the new home of the TCD Trip Reports! Thanks for all of the great info, narrative, & pics you give us!!

WELCOME!!!!!! You need to run over to the introduce yourself thread so more folks can properly welcome you!!!

Agreed!

It makes my day when someone finally decides to leave the comfort of lurkdom and join in the fun!!!

Welcome, texdisneygal!

To you other lurkers- you really ought to register. I already mentioned this, but in case you missed that mention, this site has a huge members only section, with a very active and hilarious community board. You can only view it if you register. And, of course, you can only post comments and ask questions in a TCD trip report if you register. So, do what texdisneygal did. Register. Let us know that you are reading along. Make a comment, ask a question. All of us started as lurkers. Some for just a little while, some for a long time. Your experience on this website in particular will be much more fun if you register!

To everyone reading along. Please stand by for the final batch of photos from this trip.

To you lurkers who are still lurking- this would be a great time to register and say hello.

Plus, your first post could be on this historic first official TCD fortfiends.net trip report. This is your chance to get in on the ground floor. This trip report is coming to an end, so you had better act now!

To texdisneygal, please do what Mouseketab suggested- go to the community board and post a brief intro. I promise you that you will receive a warm Fort Fiend welcome!

TCD

8< SNIP >8

As I returned to my cart, I noticed this National Guard golf cart:

100_9417.jpg

What is this about?

Who has a National Guard golf cart?

Are there National Guard recruiters on official business at the Fort?

If not, who is using this golf cart, and why?

That National Guard golf cart represents the Dale Earnhardt, Jr. #88 National Guard Sponsored Nascar.

Edited by AuburnChris
reduce huge quote
To you other lurkers- you really ought to register. I already mentioned this, but in case you missed that mention, this site has a huge members only section, with a very active and hilarious community board. You can only view it if you register. And, of course, you can only post comments and ask questions in a TCD trip report if you register. So, do what texdisneygal did. Register. Let us know that you are reading along. Make a comment, ask a question. All of us started as lurkers. Some for just a little while, some for a long time. Your experience on this website in particular will be much more fun if you register!

Hmmm, this got me wondering. Chris, is there any (easy) way to pull a report of folks who are registered but have never posted? On the one hand I'm just curious as to what percentage that group might represent. But on the other hand it might be cool to have a "Kicked your butt out of the closet thread" where you out the lurkers for us to all pile on... errr, encourage, to join the conversation! Ok, maybe that's not a good idea, but it is a fun idea!

ShantaClausSm.png