At The Fort - All Are Welcome

Late yesterday afternoon we visited Epcot to take in the Davy Jones concert. We didn't have time to check out too many of the topiaries...saving that for another picture expose. Once inside the sun made Epcot seem like an oven...wish there was more shaded areas.

DSCN4677.jpg

We attended the 6:30 concert and the theatre was about 3/4 full with attendees trying to all sit on the shaded side to the right. I'd have to say that the crowd of “old geezers” like me were less than enthusiastic and became even less enthusiastic as the concert continued and it became apparent that Davy Jones wasn’t going to sing many of the very popular Monkees oldies. He did a monolog that, as the show continued, drew less and less of the half-hearted laughs. As far as singing he did well for an “old geezer” and put forth a lot of effort to keep things moving. I think the crowd was just waiting for the old favorites and they just weren’t there. Most of his performance was done from the center runway and off to the left of the theater. He only came to the right side a couple of times during the entire performance. Since we were on the right most of my pictures didn’t turn out since I had to shoot directly into the sun. We were back in the area for his final concert at 7:45 and wouldn’t you know it, he began with Valerie and continue on with the other familiar oldies that we had been waiting to hear. :argh:

DSCN4705.jpg

DSCN4699.jpg

DSCN4732.jpg

We stopped by to check out the new British Rock group. It was a really nice show that also included Beatles tunes like “Live and Let Die”. All in all we think they did a good job and will be a good replacement at the United Kingdom area.

DSCN4751.jpg

DSCN4750.jpg

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We arrived this afternoon and will be here until May 23rd. We would love to meet any Fiends who may already be here or who are coming. You can find us in site 715. Just look for the crazy Chihuahuas i

The MK was open until midnight last night. Our grandson is with us again and we had a wonderful time. Watching the fireworks from Fantasyland is interesting. Most of the fireworks are still behind MK

We ended up spending most of the Friday afternoon at the Fort despite our best intentions to go to Epcot. Good thing because after our swimming expedition we came back to find MagicBus at our doorstep

Posted Images

You mean if I had posted that on "where in the world" I would have stumped the great Monique??? :bugeyes: Now I'm really pissed that I missed such a good opportunity! But I'm taking more pics...I'll stump you again! :rofl2:

:rofl2:

I'm looking forward to being stumped soon - you're taking some awesome pics! :waycool:

Love the photo tour of the trading post (some GREAT stuff there for FF2.0!!)

The bat house is back by the group camp parking area where you can't go any further on the main road unless you are an "authorized" person (or Yuri). Look high up on a pole. We go back there in search of 'gators and turtles.

Ah cool - I'll be on the lookout next time we're back there.

I wonder if there are more of them around?

So we spent a good portion of yesterday afternoon and evening at Disney Studios. For those that need a refresher here's a pictoral review of a few of the things we saw....

DSCN4904.jpg

DSCN4896.jpg

Did you know that there are 106 signatures in cement in front of the Great Movie Ride?

But, Disney changes and rotates them around so probably only 1/2 of them are available for viewing at any given time.

Here are a few....

DSCN4878.jpg

DSCN4872.jpg

DSCN4864.jpg

DSCN4863.jpg

DSCN4857.jpg

Lions guarding the gate...

Do you know how to tell which is the female lion and which is the male lion?

DSCN4858.jpg

DSCN4854.jpg

An no visit is complete without watching the car and motorcycle stunt show...

DSCN4762.jpg

DSCN4774.jpg

DSCN4785.jpg

The grandson was mesmorized....

DSCN4763.jpg

But having his picture taken is not a favorite thing..

DSCN4764.jpg

Food for kids at Disney Studios is a pretty limited selection...

Turkey sandwich: One slice of turkey loaf on a dried up bun, applesauce, juice and carrots that were turning white inside from being dried out.

DSCN4838.jpg

Chicken nuggets: Four nuggets, french fries, chocolate chip cookie and milk (much better than the turkey).

DSCN4840.jpg

Checked out the new Playhouse Disney Junior show...pretty good for the toddler/kindergarden crowd...

DSCN4801.jpg

DSCN4811.jpg

DSCN4820.jpg

DSCN4824.jpg

Little Mermaid is still going strong...

DSCN4900.jpg

DSCN4834.jpg

We also got in a game of Toy Story....

(Yes Monique, I will post these on the other thread too!! :)) )

DSCN4882.jpg

DSCN4892.jpg

DSCN4891.jpg

And finally, a few other random pics from the Studios....

DSCN4847.jpg

DSCN4912.jpg

DSCN4922.jpg

DSCN4931.jpg

DSCN4956.jpg

We didn't go to Fantasmic. Both shows were standing room only, a regular mob scene. Since we will still be here for almost two weeks, we decided to put it off for another night.

Next up...a very hot day at Magic Kingdom.

I was so glad you came by before we left! We enjoyed visiting with you and Aiden. Her just tickles me! He was adorable telling us about his pins! If all the fiends are as awesome as you then we certainly have a great group! I hope talk enjoy the rest of your trip!

That's a good point Karla about kids food being limited.

DHS has 10 quick service locations that serve lunch/dinner that would be suitable for kids. It sounds like a lot, but DHS is pretty spread out and you have to know where they are ahead of time.

Maybe FF.Net 2.0 could have lists & locations of the quick service locations at each park in order to make it easier to feed the rugrats.

DSCN4167.jpg

This is an AWESOME TRIP REPORT!!! Wow what great pics you have posted. Looks like one Great Family Disney Vacation. This was one of my favorite pics. 8)

DHS has 10 quick service locations that serve lunch/dinner that would be suitable for kids. It sounds like a lot, but DHS is pretty spread out and you have to know where they are ahead of time.

Maybe FF.Net 2.0 could have lists & locations of the quick service locations at each park in order to make it easier to feed the rugrats.

Hi Lou! Thanks for coming by again with little Buddy and Mrs Magic. We really enjoy meeting all the Fiends.

We have found that Epcot probably has the most diversity in children's meals. Usually we carry our own small cold pack filled with PB&J (just like the ones Disney gives you), juice boxes, baby carrots, goldfish, animal cookies, granola bars, etc.

Oh Monique, Oh Jen...here's another suggestion for you.... :))

This is an AWESOME TRIP REPORT!!! Wow what great pics you have posted. Looks like one Great Family Disney Vacation. This was one of my favorite pics. 8)

One of my favorites too...except I like it better when the golf cart isn't in the picture 'cuz that means we're out looping on it looking for other Fiends!!

More awesome pics, Karla. And pretty impressive TSM scores too!!

Ooh - great idea!! (making yet another note of all the great stuff we need to cram into FF2.0)

DSCN4858.jpg

DSCN4854.jpg

Ah come on, nobody is going to make any snarky comments like, "It's easy, the one that will ask for directions........" :rolleyes:

Seriously, your pictures are fantastic. Nice work.

Awesome pictures! Looks like it was a lot of fun!

It "was" fun and still is! We just extended our ressies and will be here until June 1st!!!

Cool pic of the bat box. I've heard those things consume an incredible amount of insects.

I've learned that insect eating bats can eat up to 1000 mosquitoes per hour or around 8000 per night.

BBB, I have read a lot of trip reports and viewed LOTS of pics... I mean LOTS! But I have to say your photos are among my faves. :heart: Fantastical job on your report. Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from a fellow South Carolinian. ;)

Thanks for the nice compliment. There are so many wonderful photo contributors here that it would be very difficult for me to name any favorites. When I need a Fort fix, in between trips or whenever I need a pick-me-up, I always come and check out the photos posted here.

Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo..Karla, on 10 May 2011 - 11:37 PM, said:

DSCN4858.jpg

DSCN4854.jpg

The male lion has one paw on the embroidered ball (some people think it's the Earth, but ...

The female is essentially identical, but has a cub under her paw ...

According to feng shui, correct placement of the lions is important to ensure their beneficial effect. When looking out of a building through the entrance to be guarded, looking in the same direction as the lions, the male is placed on the left and the female on the right. So when looking at the entrance from outside the building, facing the lions, the male lion with the ball is on the right, and the female with the cub is on the left.

Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo..Karla, on 10 May 2011 - 11:37 PM, said:

The male lion has one paw on the embroidered ball (some people think it's the Earth, but ...

According to feng shui, correct placement of the lions is important to ensure their beneficial effect. When looking out of a building through the entrance to be guarded, looking in the same direction as the lions, the male is placed on the left and the female on the right. So when looking at the entrance from outside the building, facing the lions, the male lion with the ball is on the right, and the female with the cub is on the left.

Ed...I just knew you'd be the one with the correct answer :bravo:

We went to China a few years ago and got a very detailed lesson on Chinese lions.

It "was" fun and still is! We just extended our ressies and will be here until June 1st!!!

OMG you are sooooooo lucky!

And I am sooooooo jealous! ;)

I've learned that insect eating bats can eat up to 1000 mosquitoes per hour or around 8000 per night.

Our neighbors have a bat house that borders the back of our yard. You see them swooping around as it's getting dark in the evening. Gotta say they do a pretty decent job of it with the mosquitos. And they're far cheaper and less toxic than chemicals.

Thanks for the explanation Ed - very cool!

After a fun, hot morning at the pool we make our way to the Magic Kingdom.

First stop is a quick trip down the slide then a photo op to show off our newest T-shirt creation...

DSCN4958.jpg

Just as we enter we see the horses coming out of the barn.

DSCN4960.jpg

Wandering down Main Street we stop to listen to the music and also encounter the Mayor and his "girlfriend"?

DSCN4962.jpg

DSCN4965.jpg

Then on to Adventure Land where we decided to take the Jungle Cruise.

We love all the corny jokes. This time we had an exceptionally good CM, Captain Josh.

DSCN5160.jpg

DSCN5155.jpg

DSCN5114.jpg

DSCN5124.jpg

DSCN5127.jpg

DSCN5142.jpg

DSCN5149.jpg

DSCN5144.jpg

DSCN5153.jpg

It's now time for the afternoon parade and we get a nice spot, mostly in the shade, in Liberty Square.

DSCN5072.jpg

DSCN5077.jpg

DSCN5086.jpg

DSCN5107.jpg

A stop for lunch at the Pinocchio Haus.

Pizza for Aiden and a meatball sub for the DH and I to split.

(And if Aiden's mommy is reading this we really do try to feed him healthy...see we did get him milk instead of soda ::) )

The food was served hot and tasted very good. Can't help but wonder why the pizza tastes better here than other places in Disney? There is also a nice condiment cart that contains 4 different kinds of salad dressing packets, parmesan cheese packets, BBQ sauce and the usual ketshup, relish, mustard.

If you're lucky you can get a place by the window and watch the Small World boats pass by.

In the outside eating area there are stairs that lead to an upper balcony with a couple small tables.

DSCN5024.jpg

DSCN5022.jpg

We head over to the Haunted Mansion to check out the new entrance area.

You can still take this entrance if you use a scooter or wheel chair.

The CMs will point you to the right as you enter the stretching room and you go down a short hall to the exit area, drop off your scooter and board the doom buggy at the exit area as usual.

DSCN5026.jpg

If you touch the pictures you will hear music being played by whatever instrument you touched.

There are more instruments on the backside too.

DSCN5038.jpg

DSCN5039.jpg

Water leaks out of the captains monument...nice little cool off on a hot afternoon

DSCN5040.jpg

And Madame Leota is still "watching" you at the entrance

DSCN5050.jpg

The new doom buggy riding ghosts at the end are a nice touch.

Ours was riding on top and moving his hands and head.

We like the new changes to the Haunted Mansion.

On to Tomorrowland and the Astro Orbiter

DSCN5011.jpg

DSCN5015.jpg

Pilot Aiden and his trusty "Teddy" at the controls with Poppie as co-pilot

DSCN5010.jpg

Then on to a shoot out with the Evil Emperor Zerg

DSCN4977.jpg

DSCN4981.jpg

We send Zerg to jail and have photographic evidence as proof

DSCN4984.jpg

In our next installment we attempt to catch the mean Captain Hook

We also get a few pics of the Fantasyland construction from atop the Dumbo ride