So What Adjustments Have You Made Because Of The Price Of Fuel?

I know everyone is making adjustments for the increase in fuel this year, as we did in 08. We are taking shorter trips and using our popup for any out of state trips we take. I cannot afford the diesel for out of state trips and we live so far south in Florida that going out of state is a big deal. We also now only fill the tank of the MH one quarter tank at a time and watch the prices like a hawk. When they start going down and stay down for a little while, we put in a quarter tank. I have a quarter tank to go for a full and happy tank.

So, what adjustments are you making....?

Oh, I almost forgot...since Disney keeps raising their prices for holidays, we are going elsewhere for a lot of them too.

We are not taking our motorhome to the Fort. It would cost $1400 just in gas, then we would have to rent a car while there for 2 weeks. Cheaper for us to rent the trailer then have our small car for local driving and a thousand dollars less in gas. The trailer isn't costing us that much, no where near. For shorter length trips we are renting rather than driving the motorhome.

Sacrificed big trip out West this year for trip to the Fort.

Cut down restaurant meals.

Pay for trips and fuel with cash...if it aint in the bank then we don't go.

Doing our own maintenance (oil changes, etc) on the motor home.

Driving slower for better fuel economy

Consolidating local trips to the grocery store, post office, bank, etc.

Use more coupons for shopping

Cut back family gift-giving

Cancel satellite TV and use over-the-air HD and $8/month Netflicks

Cut back cell phone service/drop land line phone service

We eat out less than we used to, as well as try to make it to the early-bird specials when we can. Also, I always try to coordinate my errands when out, making sure I don't need to backtrack or make any more trips than necessary. We also figure that this summer we will be staying at the local state parks a lot more than the local resorts. The state of NJ only has dry camping available at its state parks but the cost is only $18 per night. We go to one that has a great swimming lake, and we also take our kayaks and bikes. Every dollar saved helps get us closer to the Fort! :banana:

I’m thinking about doing a bank job…….Anybody got any advice about a good disguise? :rofl2:

Going to the Fort will be our big trip this year, despite the price of diesel. We figure we don't have too many years left with our grandkids where they will still think we're fun so we don't want to miss out on anything. But, we are not bringing our tow car or our golf cart. We don't need extra transportation while we are at the fort and we can rent a golf cart (off site) cheaper than hauling everything with us.

I eat lunch in instead of going out to eat lunch. Save's gas and it a whole lot healhier! I try to run my earrand when I'm in town. We have camped here local instead of driving all over. Canceled our Northern trip this summer. But planning Disney Trip this fall

We just canceled one weekend camping trip that would have cost us $200 in gas.

Most of the rest will be local until we head to the Fort in October.

Between now and then we're trying to cut back on the extras to save up for what we now will be a much bigger fuel budget this year.

If prices stay high, we'll likely be taking it a bit slower on the ride down too - amazing how much better gas mileage the Navigator gets at 55-60 vs 65-70. It'll take us a bit longer, but it'll potentially save us quite a bit.

Do you think if I get a running start coming out of NY I can coast to VA?? ;)

Christmas is all but canceled, maybe one long weekend at a state park about 160 miles North but other than that its driveway camping this summer. Too many cuts and belt tightening to even consider making up for $4.20 diesel.

Hold your reservation fuel prices could fall by then like in 08. I know I am hoping for it.

Christmas is all but canceled, maybe one long weekend at a state park about 160 miles North but other than that its driveway camping this summer. Too many cuts and belt tightening to even consider making up for $4.20 diesel.

That is what I am hoping for and the same reason that I have not cancelled my Christmas ressies yet. I plan on holding on to them as long as I can before making my final decision. As long as the price does not go over $4/gallon (what I budgeted for) then I should be safe.

I hate to see all the posts about people not being able to come. I know fuel is killing everybody's hobbies. I also atv and even a trip to Ocala is a pain because of fuel. I know I try and do as many things on one trip as I can and when I have to run to the stores that are close to home I use my bike.

It makes me wonder what Disney and places that offer recreation will do to get people in the door. I was at the fort earlier this week and there were several loops completely closed. I know it's the weekdays but when the 2000 loop has 3 campers in it and 1100, 1000, 1800 and 1900 are closed somethings up.

Well you know I will be very sad, but I do understand. It was 85 here yesterday and I was dying. Could you possibly do a day trip?

6 hours down and 6 hours back rules out a 'day trip'. We MIGHT stay off site for a few days, but even then the heat is going to be a killer - almost literally in my case. I canNOT tolerate the heat at all. A few hours at MK was just about too much - and it was only in the 80's. That was with most of our time inside in the AC or sucking down cold liquids. I really don't want to go down and do nothing but sit in a hotel room with the AC cranking ...

6 hours down and 6 hours back rules out a 'day trip'. We MIGHT stay off site for a few days, but even then the heat is going to be a killer - almost literally in my case. I canNOT tolerate the heat at all. A few hours at MK was just about too much - and it was only in the 80's. That was with most of our time inside in the AC or sucking down cold liquids. I really don't want to go down and do nothing but sit in a hotel room with the AC cranking ...

I understand that too. After yesterday I really got concerned about how I would do. Even though we are not planning any park visits, it might be too much for me. I tend to dehydrate easier than I used to. I still have time to make that decision though :(