Troll's Photo Essay

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All right, folks, so there you have it -- he admits it! He drinks cheap lite beer! And he made fun of me for drinking pina coladas! Let's continue with our photo journey: Bankrupt by Kenny Through t

Hello, all, from your friendly Fort troll. If you've never heard of me, allow me to introduce myself. I'm Norm, aka The Troll. Why am I called The Troll? Well, it's a long story. Let's just say that I

I really appreciate all the positive feedback I've been getting! Thanks, everyone! Now let's continue... Kenny's Bane Tired of Replacing Fence Posts Please Never Change Just Hangin' Out What Was

Norm we need more pics. Thank you.

Your wish is my command!

Although I am sad to report that this is the last installment of the Troll's photo essay. I hope you've enjoyed the ride.

Let's do this:

1370696-T800600.jpg

No Potholder Needed

1370699-T800600.jpg

Peanut Thief

1370704-T800600.jpg

Vineland Station?!?

1370705-T800600.jpg

Silver's Restraint

1370706-T800600.jpg

Glad Andrew's Back

1370707-T800600.jpg

Troll's Niece

1370722-T800600.jpg

Roll Tide!

1370723-T800600.jpg

Gutsy

1370728-T800600.jpg

God's Campfire

1370730-T800600.jpg

Gift from TCD

1370731-T800600.jpg

Thought They Were Supposed to Be Slow

1370732-T800600.jpg

Sleepy Hollow

1370734-T800600.jpg

Missing Ears

1370739-T800600.jpg

Endangered Species

1370741-T800600.jpg

The Sun Also Rises

1370743-T800600.jpg

Artificial Sun, That Is

1370746-T800600.jpg

Let 'Em Grow!

1370747-T800600.jpg

Cupid's Calling Card

Well, that's all, folks!

So now that the essay is complete, what did you think? Would you like to see more of these in the future? If yes, what subjects would you like me to focus on (pun intended)?

Thanks for stopping by...I hope to have plenty more photos to share in the future.

The Troll (aka Norm)

1370732-T800600.jpg

Sleepy Hollow

Well, that's all, folks!

So now that the essay is complete, what did you think? Would you like to see more of these in the future? If yes, what subjects would you like me to focus on (pun intended)?

Thanks for stopping by...I hope to have plenty more photos to share in the future.

The Troll (aka Norm)

Love this photo!

Great job Norm. I have thoroughly enjoyed this report, and would love to see more in the future. With your eye for photo opportunities, it doesn't matter what subjects you focus on as I'm sure they will be great.

Thanks so much for sharing and creating an interesting new TR!

Definitely more! Subject matter is tough. You appear to really think "outside the box."

How 'about a pictorial essay of unusual campsite nuances. Stuff that some folks do, that the rest haven't caught up to yet. Low hanging fruit would be something like, "duct tape and it's million uses around the campsite/camper."

Great job Norm!!! Yes, more please. I don't have any suggestions for subjects, as part of the fun is figuring out what your photographing. I will say.....MORE ZOE!!! :heart:

1370704-T800600.jpg

Vineland Station?!?

I can tell you about Vineland Station.

Back in 2007, for what was then called the Haunted Hayride, WDW management decided to depart from the traditional Sleepy Hollow themed hayride, and introduced a completely different experience.

Here is a little report I wrote back then:

Who wants to hear about this year’s new Hayride?

If you do, then please continue. Be warned, this post will contain SPOILERS!

If you prefer to be surprised, then stop reading now.

WARNING- SPOILERS

If you want the whole story, then here we go.

Note, it is dark out there on the ride. Most of these photos were taken during the day during a secret surveillance mission.

So, I think that most of you have heard that this year, the theme has been changed from the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, to “Vineland . . . Mystery, Magic or Myth?”

Here is a photo of one of the promotional signs near Pioneer Hall:

Picture149-1.jpg

The Hayride route is completely different, as is the entire presentation.

Here is how it goes. . . .

First, tickets can now be purchased in advance by calling the Ft. Wilderness Kennel. This is a huge improvement over years past, where tickets could only be purchased on the day of. This meant if you couldn’t get to the Kennel by about 8 or 9 am, you would not be going on a hayride that night.

As you can see on the sign photo above, there will be hayrides every night from the 25th through Halloween night.

Here is what the tickets look like:

Picture099-2.jpg

As stated on the ticket, you report to near the blacksmith shop to begin your ride. This is just to the south of the petting zoo, near the horse barn. Our FW friends have re-purposed a bus stop there to become Vineland Station:

Picture175.jpg

Picture176.jpg

The blacksmith shop itself is also decorated, with large poster sized photos of pioneer times in Florida. There is an old map there that shows where Vineland was:

Picture100-1.jpg

At the appointed time, a wagon drives up, and you hand over your ticket to load:

Picture034.jpg

After loading up, the driver starts speaking over an amplified headset to tell you that you will be taking a trip through what used to be Vineland. Just before you are about to leave the station, the Cast member hostess states: “Oh, I almost forgot, someone asked if you could drop this chest off at the Settlement.” She then carries a large wooden box out to the wagon:

Picture036.jpg

The hostess says that she has the key, and that we must take it with us. A volunteer is asked to hold the key. He or she is told to not give the key to anyone, under any circumstances, until we reach the Settlement.

The driver complains that if we have to go to the Settlement, that means we will have to go down Old Woods Road! She hates Old Woods Road- it is spooky!

So, we are off! As we travel, the driver begins to tell us the story of Vineland. It was settled in the early 1800’s with only 49 residents. The residents tried to grow grapes-hence the name of the town. That did not turn out so well, and some of the people turned to cattle. One family, the Trents, turned to cattle rustling. The family had four members, Mom and Dad, who were Annie and Warren Trent, and a son, Tobias, and a daughter, Mary Beth. They all ended up dead and buried in the town’s cemetery. Not a whole lot of details about how that happened, but they are the only folks that ever got buried in the cemetery. Well, times were tough, and the town’s school and hotel burned down, and everyone moved away, so all that is left is the cemetery. Oh, by the way, we will have to go by it on our way to the Settlement. What a coincidence!

The wagon heads down Big Pine Drive toward the 300 loop. We turn in to the 300 loop. Down we go past campers, many of whom have great Halloween decorations. The riders are amazed. The driver asks how many folks are staying here at the camp ground? We were the only ones on the wagon! So, that is why it is hard to get tickets, word has gotten out!

As we come toward the back of the 300 loop, right by site 328, we turn down the little dirt road there. You campers will remember that this is the entrance to the pet walk area.

As we turn the corner, and head toward Bay Lake, we see this:

Picture198.jpg

Picture199.jpg

Picture200.jpg

We drive over the bridge.

A woman dressed in 1800’s era clothing comes running up. What are we doing on her property! Go away! The driver says we are just going to the Settlement. The woman approaches, says she is Annie Trent, and this is her family’s property, and we are trespassing. Go away! She tells us that her husband and son are out looking for her daughter, Mary Beth, who is lost somewhere. She jumps up on the wagon, sees the box, and asks if anyone has the key. We all say no. We can see that her makeup makes her look like a zombie. She says get out of here. The drivers asks, can’t we just cut through, she says OK, and waives us on.

We head toward Bay Lake, we continue on the path out to the water, and drive a little ways along the lake. Here is a photo of the path:

Picture007.jpg

All of a sudden, out of nowhere comes a man on a horse! He is dressed like an old cowboy. He is quite a talented rider. He runs circles around the wagon at very high speed, banging on the sides with his hands, telling us to get out. Presumably this is Warren Trent. The driver says enough of this, let’s go. So we head back toward the bridge-let’s just get out of here! We now find that the bridge has been blocked by a barricade, presumably put up by Annie Trent, who is now nowhere to be found.

Here is a coral that is back by the lake. They must keep the horses here while waiting for each wagon to come by:

Picture080.jpg

Well, we have no choice; we have to go down Old Woods Road to the Settlement. Here is what we go by:

Picture012-1.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

Picture008.jpg

See the coffin? There is an old rag doll in there. This must by Mary Beth’s. Remember this for later.

So, we head down the trail, we see cow skulls:

Picture069-1.jpg

Picture070.jpg

Skeletons:

Picture071-1.jpg

An abandoned garden:

Picture073-1.jpg

Picture076.jpg

It is dark. We hear horse hooves approaching. We see a figure on a horse approaching from behind us. It looks like Annie Trent. Suddenly, from another path Warren pops out on his horse again, and rides around us. Give me the key! He yells!

We continue on.

We see this crashed buggy. And the rag doll again:

Picture077.jpg

Then to our right is a clearing filled with fog. A demented looking man (Tobias Trent, I presume?) jumps from the fog up onto the wagon. He sees the box, and wants the key. Annie and Warren continue to ride around. We keep going. This is the clearing area:

Picture078.jpg

A sheriff –type character appears. He is Mr. Johnson. He boards our wagon. What is all the screaming he has been hearing? We tell him about the Trents. He says it can’t be, they have been dead for 200 years. The Trents suddenly appear, and go through the banging on the wagon routine demanding the key. We all say to Mr. Johnson- see there they are! He says he doesn’t see or hear anything, we must be crazy!

Here are a couple photos of the Trent boys:

Picture043-1.jpg

Picture046-1.jpg

We continue on, and exit the trail right by the Settlement Trading Post; we drive up to Crockett’s Tavern, where we stop. Mr. Johnson says, oh, thanks for bringing me my box. Who has the key? The key is produced. He opens the box, reaches in, and says, what the . . . .? It is Mary Beth’s doll! How did that get in here?

We are told to disembark, which we do. There is also candy in the box, and we each get to take a piece as we exit.

Well, I think that covers it.

Overall, I would say that this was a great experience. Lots of fun, and not too scary.

We will do it again next year, for sure.

Let me know if you have any questions I failed to cover.

This Vineland version of the Haunted Hayride was offered again in the Spring of 2008. Clearly, whoever came up with this idea was hoping that the Haunted Hayrides could be offered at other times of the year, and not just in October. However, when October 2008 rolled around, the Hayrides were converted to Haunted Carriage rides, which is what has been offered ever since.

The Vineland themed hayride apparently was a failed experiment.

But the sign remains.

And now you know the rest of the story.

TCD

This Vineland version of the Haunted Hayride was offered again in the Spring of 2008. Clearly, whoever came up with this idea was hoping that the Haunted Hayrides could be offered at other times of the year, and not just in October. However, when October 2008 rolled around, the Hayrides were converted to Haunted Carriage rides, which is what has been offered ever since.

The Vineland themed hayride apparently was a failed experiment.

But the sign remains.

And now you know the rest of the story.

TCD

Very interesting! It's a shame it didn't go over. It sounds like it was very well thought out and executed. I would have liked to go on it.

This was great another one of these (many more actually) would be awesome. Don't know if you go to the parks or not, but one of what ever park you do go to would be a good one too.

Dan

Actually, Dan, something I've been wanting to do for some time now is a Details of the Magic Kingdom trip report. The idea would be to showcase all the extreme details of the park...but the report would entirely be on details found outside the rides, like Main Street USA, Tomorrow Land, Frontier Land, etc.

Actually, Dan, something I've been wanting to do for some time now is a Details of the Magic Kingdom trip report. The idea would be to showcase all the extreme details of the park...but the report would entirely be on details found outside the rides, like Main Street USA, Tomorrow Land, Frontier Land, etc.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Dan

That would be amazing!

One of my favorite things to do is just wander around and notice all the little details.

A couple of years ago I decided I'd snag photos of as many signs as I could - the detail in those alone was really fun to find/shoot.

PS - "details" photos would also be perfect for the Where in the World thread - one of the most popular ones on the board!

• 3 weeks later...