Starbuc's non-fort 4th of july Tennessee Vacation

One of he things that Dollywood has is an actual Steam locomotive that goes around the park and actually up into a tad of the mountians. When you get off, you actually have pieces of soot from the coal on your shirt and hats. It's really impressive for the train buffs out there

101_1864.jpg

On our last visit there DS8 (would have been 4 at the time) got soot in his eyes during the ride and was absolutely miserable. Poor thing. It made for a long train ride since it happened right after we left the train station.

I have really enjoyed this report. This is one of our favorite vacation spots and you have done a great job capturing the beauty of the area.

And, now we have a great park to stay at in GA on our next trip up there!

Awesome job!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dollywood looks like alot of fun. Thank you for all the pictures.

No problem, Like I said, this is one of our favorite places so we loved sharing our experience to others for other vacation choices :)

This is AWESOME!!!!! I need to get to Dollywood one of these days!!!!

This truely is an awsome park. I was shocked to see so many seniors as employees. They really made the experience special with thier kindness and helpfulness

I've never been to Dollywood, but it does look like a really nice park. I have enjoyed reading along with your report and hate to see it end.

Thank you. The smokies is a great place to visit any time of year

Dollywood reminds me of Silver Dollar City. I can see why you like it so much. I love SDC. I started going there when I was 8 and everytime I go it feels like home even though it's a theme park. SDC has that big circle ride that spins and goes back and forth. It was a ton of fun but boy did I feel sick afterwards. I very much enjoyed your trip report. One day we will make it out there for a vacation.

Thank you also. If your in SC your a heck of a lot closer than we are. If you ever get up there let me know and I can give you more info.

:bravo: Nice trip report S71!

Dollywood looks like a great time. I grew up in upstate NY and we had a small amusement park on the lake that we would visit on the weekends. Dollywood reminds me of that. Since I'm not a thrill ride seeker, that kind of park suits me just fine.

$3.00 for that dryer is kind of steep, but I have rode Kali Rapids in January and would have probably paid double that, to be able to get dry fast. Not such a bad idea, especially in cold weather.

Do you have any Fort trips planned for the near future?

Thanks S70...lol( I love the new S71), you wouldn't wouldn't be talking about Seabreeze would you? I am also form upsate NY about 20 years ago and rode the jackrabbit numerous times. If thats where you used to go, Dollywood is quite bigger although seabreeze has grown. I went there 2 years ago. Our next trip to the fort will be the fist weekend of October for the MNSSHP. I know a lot of fiends go closer to halloween or the 31st, but we HATE crowds. Our kids love the fort 90% for the pool and we all know about the pool discussions and crowds on busy weekends. That's why we always shoot for quieter weekends except for Thanksgiving week. This will be our second time going at Thanksgiving. Lord help us...lol

:bravo:

Thanks

On our last visit there DS8 (would have been 4 at the time) got soot in his eyes during the ride and was absolutely miserable. Poor thing. It made for a long train ride since it happened right after we left the train station.

I have really enjoyed this report. This is one of our favorite vacation spots and you have done a great job capturing the beauty of the area.

And, now we have a great park to stay at in GA on our next trip up there!

Awesome job!

Tom, If you ever decide to go up there again, let me know. There were some good hole in the wall places and things off the beaton path that I can tell you about. I'm sure you could tell me a couple too. I think if we had a smaller lighter trailer. we would make these kind of trips more often. I believe you have one of the largest pop ups they make, but I bet it's a hell of a lot easier to tow than our 30 footer. I'm glad you enjoyed this report. Until you go to the smokies, it's just not the same trying to explain it

Thanks S70...lol( I love the new S71), you wouldn't wouldn't be talking about Seabreeze would you?

LOL...Well no, I wasn't talking about Seabreeze. I was talking about Roseland, which was on Canandaigua Lake. I think I have been to Seabreeze though, many, many years ago (I've lived in Florida for 28 years) My father still lives outside of Rochester, in Honeoye Falls, but we usually go to visit when there is snow on the ground, so no amusement park visits.

Where are you from originally? It is a small world after all :lol:

LOL...Well no, I wasn't talking about Seabreeze. I was talking about Roseland, which was on Canandaigua Lake. I think I have been to Seabreeze though, many, many years ago (I've lived in Florida for 28 years) My father still lives outside of Rochester, in Honeoye Falls, but we usually go to visit when there is snow on the ground, so no amusement park visits.

Where are you from originally? It is a small world after all :lol:

I'm from Auburn. I forgot all about Roseland. I actually visited that more than seabreeze since it was closer to us. I think it's just a water park now. I know your a JJ fan, have you ever been to Watkins glen for a race? I was up there in 09 and had tickets and it got rained out and I was leaving the next day :(. I miss it up there but all it would take would be to spend one winter up there and pay one prperty tax bill and I know I would be right back down here...lol

I'm from Auburn. I forgot all about Roseland. I actually visited that more than seabreeze since it was closer to us. I think it's just a water park now. I know your a JJ fan, have you ever been to Watkins glen for a race? I was up there in 09 and had tickets and it got rained out and I was leaving the next day :(. I miss it up there but all it would take would be to spend one winter up there and pay one prperty tax bill and I know I would be right back down here...lol

Wow, that's crazy! I was born in Newark, lived in Palmyra until I was 13. After i moved to Florida with Mom, my Dad moved to Rochester, then to Honeoye Falls. We used to go to Cayuga Lake a lot too as my Grandfather owned a house on the lake.

The last time I was around Roseland, they had torn it all down, and built some type of condos :( The water park hadn't been built as of then. I was so bummed they tore down Roseland, as I spent a lot of time there as a kid. As a matter of fact, yesterday we took our boat out, and I was telling hubby memories of taking the family boat out on Canandaigua, spending the day at Kershaw park swimming at the sandbar, then parking in front of Roseland for fireworks at night. Good times!

I just went on the web to see the water park, and found this video. If you haven't seen it, it will bring back a lot of memories. The woman talking is a little hard to listen to, but it has some neat info.

http://youtu.be/IfQw-unq37w

I have been to Watkins Glen a couple of times, but not for a race. I was there in 2009 too, but left the day before the scheduled race.

My dad even tried to bribe me with race tix just so I would stay an extra day. Then we joked that it was a good thing I didn't go for it, since it got rained out.

I love to go and visit too, but we like to go in winter to play in the snow. My husband is from Jamestown originally so we think we should go sledding, skating.... :rolleyes: After a week, we find out we're too damn old to handle those sports anymore, or the cold weather. My Dad is actually looking to get out of there as soon as he retires. He says all of their taxes are outrageous!

I hope we can meet up at the fort sometime and reminisce. We are going Labor Day, Halloween, and the first week of December. Looks like we'll miss each other, but there will be a time when we're all there and we can have a beer and share NY memories. :))

Enjoyed the report! We honeymooned in Pigeon Forge, didn't see Dollywood though... :rofl2:

Thanks for the report! We are thinking of heading up for our 10th anniversay next year, we learned a good bit! THANKS! :bravo:

S71- I just got a chance to read the end of your report.

Great job!

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

No, you didn't hit 3000 views (at least not yet) (but you never know), but you did have a respectable number of readers. It seems like Fort Trip Reports get viewed more than non-Fort ones. Go figure. So, I'll bet if you post a TR after your next visit to the Fort, you will be up there on your views.

I am hoping to be around the Fort at Thanksgiving time, so maybe I'll see you then.

TCD

Awesome report S71 (love the new handle)! I've enjoyed many non fort reports but I do believe that this may be my favorite. Great job!

Now I have to make some comments but there are too many so I'll try to be as brief as I can. First, I am pro smore and anti mess. Since you can't have a smore without a mess I guess I'd better keep the handi wipes close by. We rarely see fireflies anymore and I was thrilled to see your kid sitting around the fire with "lightning bugs", as we used to call them, all around. How awesome!

Great pics of Cades Cove. I've only been once and thought it was absolutely one of the coolest and most beautiful areas ever. I love the old buildings and seeing how a township lived back then.

We've never been to Dollywood but my parents have and they loved it! I love the smaller amusement parks and this one looks especially nice. The steam locomotive looks great! The 50's area looks very cool too. I know I would love that! My kids, however, would be happy to stay on the River Battle and the River rapids ALL DAY LONG!!! We will not be piling ourselves in the dryer though.

You've really done a great job on this report and not only have I enjoyed every bit of it but you've made me want to load up and go. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us. Oh yeah... your family is beautiful too!

I'm in agreement here with the concensus, excellent reporting!! Love that area, we spent memorial day in Pigeon Forge and it was nice, we did the water park at Dolly wood but not the amusement park, it was just to darn croweded! Alot of fiends seems to be interested in this area.. a grand gathering in the future perhaps??? Dollywood is suppose to be spectacular at Christmas time..

My aunt and uncle live near Dollywood. I took the kids one summer for a visit and ended up upgrading to season passes. That fall during the fall break from school we went back as a family. One of the nicest things that happened was as we were waiting in line to buy my husband a ticket (since he didn't go before) a man came up to me and gave me a ticket he was not using. He had an extra one and didn't want it to go to waste.

We love Gatlinburg and the Smoky Mountains. I agree with the others about a future Grand Gathering there. :banana:

Great report we have been talking about going to Dollywood.

You have to go it's a blast, relaxing, and a great time

S71- I just got a chance to read the end of your report.

Great job!

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

No, you didn't hit 3000 views (at least not yet) (but you never know), but you did have a respectable number of readers. It seems like Fort Trip Reports get viewed more than non-Fort ones. Go figure. So, I'll bet if you post a TR after your next visit to the Fort, you will be up there on your views.

I am hoping to be around the Fort at Thanksgiving time, so maybe I'll see you then.

TCD

Looking forward to Thanksgiving. Hard to believe we're even saying the word "Thanksgiving" this early. We hope this year is bettre than last since I spent 5 hours in the celebration emergency room Thanksgiving night. Hoep to see you there. maybe this time we can actually grab a beer :)

Awesome report S71 (love the new handle)! I've enjoyed many non fort reports but I do believe that this may be my favorite. Great job!

Now I have to make some comments but there are too many so I'll try to be as brief as I can. First, I am pro smore and anti mess. Since you can't have a smore without a mess I guess I'd better keep the handi wipes close by. We rarely see fireflies anymore and I was thrilled to see your kid sitting around the fire with "lightning bugs", as we used to call them, all around. How awesome!

Great pics of Cades Cove. I've only been once and thought it was absolutely one of the coolest and most beautiful areas ever. I love the old buildings and seeing how a township lived back then.

We've never been to Dollywood but my parents have and they loved it! I love the smaller amusement parks and this one looks especially nice. The steam locomotive looks great! The 50's area looks very cool too. I know I would love that! My kids, however, would be happy to stay on the River Battle and the River rapids ALL DAY LONG!!! We will not be piling ourselves in the dryer though.

You've really done a great job on this report and not only have I enjoyed every bit of it but you've made me want to load up and go. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us. Oh yeah... your family is beautiful too!

Kim, thank you so much, this means alot coming from you since in my opinion you are one of the pros on this board. My wife found an easier way to make smores. She buys the yellow oreo cookies then splits them and puts the marshmellow in between. I guess it's a poor mans smore. Actually, it's more of a rich mans smore...lol

I grew up in upsate NY and forgot all about lightning bugs. they were so cool.

Gatlinburg/Piegon Forge is a great place for a family vacation and Dollywood has always been the tip of the iceberg

Thanks for the compliment on the kids. My wife and I still shake our heads and can't believe we made them at times..lol

Hope to meet you guys someday

I'm in agreement here with the concensus, excellent reporting!! Love that area, we spent memorial day in Pigeon Forge and it was nice, we did the water park at Dolly wood but not the amusement park, it was just to darn croweded! Alot of fiends seems to be interested in this area.. a grand gathering in the future perhaps??? Dollywood is suppose to be spectacular at Christmas time..

I think as the kids get older, we will try the water park up there. I heard it's a blast. I bet the place is packed on holidays and being a smaller park, I bet it's a bear.

It would really be nice to have a GG in the smokies. As I stated earlier, the campground we stayed at would love to host one and it's a perfect size if they have the ressies.

Dollywood is beautiful at Christmas. We went about 7 years ago and the decorations were awesome. It was truley a "Smokey" mountian Christmas

My aunt and uncle live near Dollywood. I took the kids one summer for a visit and ended up upgrading to season passes. That fall during the fall break from school we went back as a family. One of the nicest things that happened was as we were waiting in line to buy my husband a ticket (since he didn't go before) a man came up to me and gave me a ticket he was not using. He had an extra one and didn't want it to go to waste.

We love Gatlinburg and the Smoky Mountains. I agree with the others about a future Grand Gathering there. :banana:

That's the southern hospitality for you. I have never seen a place with nicer or friendlier people. You have to see it to believe it. Ditto on the GG.

Great TR I love that area, and as we get closer to next summer would love to try to arrange a GG there. Only thing is I have to have more than 3 days off lol.

We will be there Thanksgiving as well hope to met up with you, I am sure everyone will be at my site one time or the whole weekend so please stop by, I will post what # when we get there, I am talking like it's next week. Are u going to the fort Halloween or Labor Day?

• 11 months later...

7/8/2012- UPDATE.... Many of you know we take our annual trek to gatlinburg, TN every 4th of July. This year was no different...and i mean no different. Below was our trip report from last year just about everything this year was mirror image of last year right down to the same camping sites and visiting the same restaurants and attractions. I guess some can call us boreing people taking the exact same vacation, but I call it planing a perfect vacation that we never get bored with. For some fiends that have joined after this trip report ran it's course last year enjoy the whole trip. Just picture my kids a year older and the dates on the pics changed to 2012. For the ones who already read this feel free to enjoy again. I posted the same update on my first post on this report. I have no idea how to change the title to "re-visited" O, well

Dave