Why we don't kill black racers in Florida

I know there is a phobia about snakes and all...but this is why we love black racers in Florida...

Here is a black racer eating a rattlesnake...

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image006.jpg

We have a similar snake in Texas (could be the same kind) called a Blue Indigo. They were imported to kill rattlesnakes. The first one we saw was about 8 feet long and looked like black patent leather. Luckily we didn't kill it,(it got away before we came back with a gun) because we found out later that it was on the endangered list and a good snake to have around.

We have a similar snake in Texas (could be the same kind) called a Blue Indigo. They were imported to kill rattlesnakes. The first one we saw was about 8 feet long and looked like black patent leather. Luckily we didn't kill it,(it got away before we came back with a gun) because we found out later that it was on the endangered list and a good snake to have around.

We have Blue Indigo's here in Florida, as well. They're the good guys.

I've learned yet another factoid: I didn't know black racers kill rattlesnakes. Thanks for the edumacation, Jen.

So you are telling this poor snake phobic woman:

whose first nightmare was a snake inside the statue of liberty,

whose been, more than once, 6 inches from a snake bite

who has barely been able to look at a cartoon snake much less a picture

whose kids have only seen the reptile house if Dad was along on the trip

that there are in fact good snakes?

my unfortunate snake count -

cotton mouth about 3 inches from may ankle

coiled rattler about 6 inches from the other ankle

riding a four wheeler through 3 puddles .... ALL OF WHICH HAD SNAKES IN THEM

That pole looks suspiciously like a hookup at a CG. Please tell me you weren't at the fort.

If you were, I definitely need to fax a site request for far, far away from wherever that was... like in the next state maybe... :rofl2:

Holy cow - I had no idea snakes eat other snakes!

There are a fair number that do so. Push come to shove, ALL snakes will eat another snake if they are hungry enough and the opportunity presents itself.

The best known one here in the US is the King Snake:

Scarlet King Snake - which is commonly mistaken for the Coral Snake (and vice versa):

KingSnake.jpg

and the Banded King Snake:

4108a-king_snake.jpg

There are some more variants in the wild (and a tremendous number of color patterns in the pet field).

Another famous snake eater is the King (notice a pattern here) Cobra, whose Latin name is Ophiophagus hannah. Ophiophagus means Snake Eater

? How do they do that?

Why in the world would it lets itself be eaten? :rolleyes:

I may have to keep an eye out on people larger than me now....... :blink:

I assure you, they don't LET themselves be eaten. Survival of the fittest; eat or be eaten ... King Snakes also have some degree of immunity to Rattlesnake venom, which helps them clean those out.

We have Blue Indigo's here in Florida, as well. They're the good guys.

I've learned yet another factoid: I didn't know black racers kill rattlesnakes. Thanks for the edumacation, Jen.

It is actually quite rare to see this in action, much less get pictures of it, as I have been told by the locals here. My father and his crowd of local "old geezers" (as they call themselves) have given me the "low down." This snake was quite the specimen, as was the one he ate. I have never seen a black indigo nor a black racer that large before in the wild. It sure must have been a spectacle.

That pole looks suspiciously like a hookup at a CG. Please tell me you weren't at the fort.

If you were, I definitely need to fax a site request for far, far away from wherever that was... like in the next state maybe... :rofl2:

No, that was next to his pool pump. But it was in Florida and it was near my house, about 9 miles away.

It was the overflow pipe so you can backflow the water out when the pool is too high.

My guess is that snake is probably not going to need to eat for a while.

If I ate a meal that was roughly the same size as my current body, I'm pretty sure that I would not have been able to crawl away on all fours, much less walk in my normal manner. Which is not to say that would be against trying, just to see if I could do it.

If I ate a meal that was roughly the same size as my current body, I'm pretty sure that I would not have been able to crawl away on all fours, much less walk in my normal manner. Which is not to say that would be against trying, just to see if I could do it.

Ahh you'd just be a little bloated.

fat_animals_09.jpg