Importance of Surge Protectors - fka Ten Minutes is All It Took!!!

Hey Dave, I've looked at that unit before (actually the 30 amp version). How do you secure it so that it does not "walk away"?

As BRDof3 said they have a hasp that will lock your cord and the surge protector together. Also as he mentioned there are power boxes that have the tab so you can lock the lid closed after you plug in. If I'm in an area where I have concerns I wrap a chain around the power post and the top and bottom of the surge protector and the lock it.

Starbuc71 beat me..

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the post. I got my surge protector today because of this.  

Was looking for a thread on surge protectors and figure this needs to be bumped

Some good news is I have noted a lot of surge arresters installed in Fort distribution panels. The ones I have seen are far better than anything you can likely buy at an RV store. Look for the boxes

As BRDof3 said they have a hasp that will lock your cord and the surge protector together. Also as he mentioned there are power boxes that have the tab so you can lock the lid closed after you plug in. If I'm in an area where I have concerns I wrap a chain around the power post and the top and bottom of the surge protector and the lock it.

Starbuck71 beat me..

We think alike...lol

I keep thinking about the fact that this could have been prevented. I want to help spread the word about the importance of using a whole camper surge protector, so I have decided to do an article on my blog. Your pictures really get the point across. Do you mind if I use one of them in the article, Bill?

WOW this just runs chills up my spine we were having power issues here at GBR and hubby got nervous and we were going to leave until a very friendly fellow camper offered us their amp surge protector to use because they just bought a 50amp. We ended up buying it from them for future use. I am happy to hear everyone was safe but I feel really bad for all involved.

Just a slight OT hijack... This line caught my eye in Bill's original post:

When he got back inside he saw smoke coming from the area where his fuse box was and he emptied the little extingusher that you get with the camper with no success so he got out.

Do not trust your life or your property to the aerosol-can sized extinguisher that comes with many campers. While you are out shopping for a surge protector, pick yourself up a 20 lb extinguisher. Or two. Knocking a fire down quickly may make all the difference until more help arrives. I have 20 lb extinguishers in my truck and the rear of the toy hauler, and 10 lb extinguishers in the kitchen area and our front bedroom.

Overkill? Maybe. Ask me again after I (hopefully never) use them.

We now return to the surge protector discussion...

....Do not trust your life or your property to the aerosol-can sized extinguisher that comes with many campers. While you are out shopping for a surge protector, pick yourself up a 20 lb extinguisher. Or two. ...

Another tip the prep-guy (who's been camping 40+ years) gave us Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

Well we went and got the surge protector. Now have to wait until October to camp....boo.

We saw the locking box thingy, but decided agsinst it. Tony's thought was if someone is that interested, they may cut the power cord to our unit to get to the protecter. And the $25 asking price can pay for alot of zip ties, chain and lock.

We splurged last weekend and purchased the $245 30amp surge protector at Camping World. I have friends that have seen the smae sort of thing happen and I didn't want to take any chances. Imagine fighting Disney to have them own up to an incident like that? I hope the $200 some dollars will be well worth it

I have seen converters burn up in more ways than you can imagine and since most new units have a plastic enclosure that provides no protection I can see this happening.

I had a picture of one from my former job that the cover was completly melted but I think I lost to on a corupt SD card.

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list of people that now own protection. I went with a Progressive Industries EMS (Electrical Management System). From everything I've read, Progressive's after sale support is excellent, and I liked to digital code display that tells you exactly what the issue is in the event there is a surge, low or high voltage, miswired pedestal, open neutral, etc. I found it for a decent price too, with free shipping to boot!

EMS_PT30C.jpg

• 2 years later...