Slightly Delayed WDW Recovery Trip to the Fort Trip Report

First, the background. No, not about me, but about this trip. I have written trip reports before, but never in a timely manner. I usually don't think what I do is interesting enough to warrant a trip report. My first trip to the Fort was November 2010. It was awesome. Then I was there in February of this year. Again, awesome. Well, life happens and the AP expires and you don't go back for a while, until you get roped into spending the summer at WDW. Sound fun? Continue to read and see...

In June about 15 of my "closest" friends decided we should all go to WDW at the same time. Knowing it was June and I had sworn off tent camping after the last trip to the Fort (think frozen toes), I booked a hotel in Kissimmee. I'd stayed there before. It wasn't that bad! Well, times change. Things change. It was a DUMP. Night #1, this fellow walked across the desk:

297381_570012982715_46402462_31301327_1811870046_n.jpg

All of his friends were in the alarm clock waiting on night time to come out and play.

And then a group of French exchange students checked in. And by group, I mean like 100. That turned the place into one giant college party.

So that trip was a write off.

Then, I made an even bigger mistake.

You see, I have a good buddy who house sits for me when I travel. I have cats and plants and an occasional dog. This friend always insists on doing this at no charge. Said friend said he likes to camp. Said friend was interested in going to WDW. You see where this is going. So, I have a giant tent, but I suggested we rent Donnie's popup. My treat. Well, SF (I had to shorten it) was having none of that. He insisted that it wasn't camping unless you were in a tent. I questioned this logic since it was JUNE. IN FLORIDA. SF still had none of it. Didn't get the point of a popup (umm, AIR CONDITIONING TO SLEEP IN) and so I agreed to the tent and he (begrudgingly) agreed to taking a tiny window a/c unit to use at night. That, Fiends, was the savior of the whole trip.

You see, it was hot that week. Heat indexes over 110. So hot I almost had a heat stroke in DHS one day. I'm used to being outside and I still couldn't take it. SF was upset we had to leave DHS. I was p-o'd that staying in a theme park was more important than me not collapsing and being rushed to the hospital.

The trip admittedly got much better. There were lots of drinks, looping, lots of pool time at the Fort and other general Fort activities that make for a good vacation. It just wasn't a real Fort trip, though. I didn't write a trip report mainly because I didn't care to think about that trip again. Ever. Here are a few photos, though.

298378_570012823035_46402462_31301322_343026829_n.jpg

296072_570012857965_46402462_31301323_1424976707_n.jpg

316167_570012892895_46402462_31301324_419254329_n.jpg

312889_570012907865_46402462_31301325_921167887_n.jpg

316212_570012917845_46402462_31301326_584951350_n.jpg

At the end of that trip I swore that I was really done with tent camping and sleeping on the ground. Swore it. All the way home. BTW, this was just two weeks after the bed bug trip.

Well, right after July 4, the work trips to WDW started. Yep, that was just about 2.5-3 weeks after the heat stroke camping trip. I was playing tour guide for a lot of our giant donors and so I got an annual pass out of it from work. We were at PORS. It was actually not that bad, but it was work. Events in the theme parks, dinners with strangers, new kids hanging all over me every few days. The trips were giant successes for my company, but it really changed the way you look at the theme parks. It was almost three weeks in WDW with only about 3 days to myself. Oh, and we were on the Deluxe Dining Plan most of that trip, so we had a signature meal almost every evening. Have a question about a signature restaurant? I'm pretty sure I'm qualified to answer it.

So that leads to this trip. The one where TCD was stalking me (ok, well maybe just Mrs. TCD). I needed to get away from Charleston for a few days. A few friends from that other board and college were going to be at WDW (not together, just at the same time). I decided to make it a trip to just relax and try to regain my appreciation of the parks. No computer. No internet. No work. I'd stay at POP or a similar hotel at DTD and just do what I wanted… and then I got the Fort bug.

So, I ventured to the WDW and the Fort September 23-28. What began as a 3-day weekend trip turned into 6 days without even planning on it.

More to come soon.

Oh my! I wouldn't love to stay in a tent anymore, but I will take frozen toes over roaches any day!

Your trip with SF looks hot, and I know hot, I live in it. :))

Looking forward to reading more!

I'd trade tent camping at the Fort in February anytime! Just need a good foam cell sleeping pad and zero degree rated sleeping bag with fleece liner! Put a bottle of hot water at the foot of the bag before sleeping and you're good to go!

I learned I had to take extra precautions half way through that trip to stay warm. I went out and bought a cot. Getting up off the ground made a huge difference since heat rises, but the minute you wake up and get out of the sleeping bag... that's a different story. Talking to my dad (who just retired after 35 or so years in the Army) last night, he agreed it was time for me to upgrade. More on that in the trip report wrap up.

When we would tent camp with the boy scouts in cold weather we would put our clothes for the next day in the sleeping bag with us helped to have them a little warmer in the morning. Our troop camped year round and the only time they would get a cabin was if we had weblos join us, they are not aloowed to tent camp during the winter.

Day 1 - Friday September 23

Not much to say about this day. The plan was to leave home around 10am. As is always the case, 10am = noon in reality. I wasn't in a huge rush, though, since I was checking into the Fort on Saturday. I had a room reserved at the Comfort Suites near DTD. The drive down started out uneventful. It was cloudy and overcast. There is part of the drive that I absolutely love near Beaufort. I know there are some fiends that know the stretch of Hwy 17 I'm talking about - where it opens up from wooded area and you're driving right through the middle of the marsh.

319929_570145487175_46402462_31301766_685484613_n.jpg

The road is very different now since there are another two lanes. That photo is a year or so old.

The rest of the drive is nothing to snap photos of, trust me. The rest of SC and GA went smoothly. Jacksonville wasn't bad since I just beat rush hour, but that's where the rain started. and it rained. and rained. AND RAINED. Then, there was a giant thud. I have no idea what it was but it busted a giant crack in my windshield… which then grew and grew. Not how I wanted to start vacation, but it could have been worse.

I had plans to meet two friends in Epcot at 8. I got on I4 at 7, so I knew I'd be cutting it close. There was another accident and bad weather on I4, so that held up traffic. I finally made it to Epcot about 8:15 and dashed into the park. Literally DASHED. Illuminations was great. I had a beer to settle my nerves. Beer was great. And then I did it. I lost my car in the Epcot parking lot. As in I was that guy walking around for 10 minutes looking for it. I'd been in such a huge rush to get in the park, I never paid attention to where I parked. I, of course, eventually found it, but not before I looked like a total idiot to everyone leaving the park. Checked into the hotel and I do recommend it. It was a very nice room for the price.

OK, so now the fun stuff.

Day 2 - Saturday September 24

The plan was to sleep in since I figured I couldn't check into the Fort much before noon. I slept as long as possible, but I eventually got moving and ran to the Wal-Mart right down the road. I hadn't brought my Carol-recommended painters plastic liner and I also needed batteries. And beer. I found this Wal-Mart this summer when I was there for work since I was using the Planet Fitness in that shopping center. I have to admit, I never go to Wal-Mart, but this one is fairly tolerable and it's super easy to get to from the Fort on the "back roads."

I headed over to the Fort around noon. I took the long way to see this! (sorry for the finger.. I'm not "giving you the finger" at least)

306460_570145517115_46402462_31301767_857163220_n.jpg

297765_570145626895_46402462_31301772_159274773_n.jpg

313240_570145666815_46402462_31301774_1474776465_n.jpg

320051_570145856435_46402462_31301782_1590789334_n.jpg

293675_570145911325_46402462_31301785_1215834818_n.jpg

299791_570145931285_46402462_31301786_2051676917_n.jpg

I figured I could at least get the paperwork done and they'd text me when my site was ready. I had a different security guard and I can't remember his name. He asked the right questions and then directed me to the pull throughs to check in. I disobeyed him and headed inside. I sometimes just like to be difficult.

310540_570146031085_46402462_31301789_15251452_n.jpg

There was no line and Bren helped me. I complimented her on her name several times, but I don't think she ever really got it. Oh well. She was actually fantastic and a real cast member. Not a college program kid. She knew what she was talking about and she definitely knew the computer system. I'm sure they'll move her somewhere else, but if you see her she's who you want to deal with.

Anyway, she gave me all of my paperwork, made sure I didn't need a map, etc. I said, "No, I know my way to the 2000 loop." She said, "Well good luck finding site 1505 in there."

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I got assigned to the 1500 loop. I didn't request it. I didn't do anything. I just showed up. Shocking. Completely shocking. Later I discovered that there were only 5 sites booked in the 2000 loop, so it made a lot more sense, but still! I was pretty stoked.

I headed back and began to setup camp. My first thought about the 1500 loop - the sites are definitely smaller!

I had on my "I don't care if I sweat through these clothes because they're dirty anyway" clothes. Boy am I glad I did. It. Was. Hot. Wow. Hot and Humid even. I even wore a hat. I have a giant melon of a head, so I don't usually wear hates. I got setup and spotted this lovely 16 year old curly haired lady walking to the comfort station. She came back with her mom older sister. I thought it looked like a TCD twin, but there was only one. And she was with not-TCD. Interesting. I was obviously mistaken.

Finally the setup was mostly complete. So complete I forgot to take a photo. Here is one after I broke some things down near the end of the trip.

297800_570147463215_46402462_31301865_945741861_n.jpg

I cleaned myself up, changed and headed over to the pool. It was a perfect pool afternoon, but man it was crowded. Lots and lots of people there with coolers who were clearly not staying at the Fort, but that's been discussed elsewhere.

After the pool I got some texts from friends staying in the 200 loop. In a camper. With a/c. They were going to Epcot and wanted to know if I'd be interested in having a few drinks there with them. I was, so I got myself together, waited 30 min for an internal yellow bus and headed over.

I snapped this photo, but that's all for the night.

306329_570146090965_46402462_31301791_741188271_n.jpg

Sorry for all the blabbering in this post, but I promise it gets better! And there are more pics coming up. Plus, I stepped on a pop top and blew out my flip flop!

I got setup and spotted this lovely 16 year old curly haired lady walking to the comfort station. She came back with her mom older sister. I thought it looked like a TCD twin, but there was only one. And she was with not-TCD. Interesting. I was obviously mistaken.

Well, aren't you a silver tongued devil!

Now that I know what you look like, I'll have to keep an eye out for you in the future.

J/K

I'm enjoying your report and photos.

I love how we Fiends all share a common love for the Fort, but all come away with different experiences and views on things.

I am looking forward to the flip-flop blow out story.

TCD

When we would tent camp with the boy scouts in cold weather we would put our clothes for the next day in the sleeping bag with us helped to have them a little warmer in the morning. Our troop camped year round and the only time they would get a cabin was if we had weblos join us, they are not aloowed to tent camp during the winter.

Wasting away again in margarita ville

And much like the song, it was all my own fault that it happened.

I'm loving the pics of checkin. Getting me excited as we'll see those sights in 20 19 days!

For me, it's a weird feeling. I'm always super excited to know that I'm checking in, but also a little stressed since I know that I have to handle all of the setup.

Well, aren't you a silver tongued devil!

Now that I know what you look like, I'll have to keep an eye out for you in the future.

J/K

I'm enjoying your report and photos.

I love how we Fiends all share a common love for the Fort, but all come away with different experiences and views on things.

I am looking forward to the flip-flop blow out story.

TCD

I know not of what you speak? Silver tongued? No. Not at all!

I definitely think I have a different view of things. Half the time I'm alone, so I know that changes my view. I'm also up pretty late most nights, so I see things that a lot of people done. I'll spare everyone the details, but there's a lot happening at the Fort at 1am that you'll only stumble on once before you make sure everyone hears you coming in the future.

Day 3 - Sunday, September 25

Today's plans were simple… do whatever I want. Since it was night 1 of camping, I was up pretty early. There was coffee and general relaxing in the sauna that was Orlando that week. I decided that maybe I'd go over to Animal Kingdom that morning and see a show, ride a few rides and eat some BBQ. Sounded simple enough.

Then this golf cart drove by. There was a guy driving it that looked familiar. It looked like the one and only TCD. Ha! I knew I'd seen a twin the day before. Could that have been Mrs. TCD with them? Could I have hit the jackpot? It looked like it. Using my incredible powers of deduction, I decided they were obviously staying in the 1500 loop, but I hadn't seen them when I was out and about. Hmmmm. So then I casually walked to the recycling bin nearby. When I turned around to walk back, I realized that TCD had been right next to me all along. Apparently I was in the 1 site at the Fort with enough shrub growth to obscure my view of the site next to me.

So there was a change of plan. Shower, TCD introductions and then Animal Kingdom.

Then, there was the flip flop incident. They stay in my gym bag and pretty much only get used there or at the Fort. Well, I slipped them on and made about three steps toward the comfort station and nearly busted my rear end. It appeared I'd blown out a flip flop. Clearly I'd stepped on a pop top at some point. Normally, at home, this would be no big deal. I have other pairs. At the Fort, however, I had one pair and there was no way I was going to shower without some sort of shower shoes. So, I did what anyone would do… I straight up McGyvered a solution with rope and what was left. It took a few tries, but I finally got it to hold long enough to shower and make it back.

Here are the flops.

291886_570146230685_46402462_31301799_2064281445_n.jpg

New plan. Shower, TCD introductions, Animal Kingdom, shower shoes shopping.

When I got back from the comfort station everything was quiet over at TCD's site. I figured they'd run off to a park while I was gone and since it was 10am, they weren't leaving that day. I'd catch them when I got back. Only, I wasn't aware TCD was a speed packer and would be long gone by the time I returned. So close, but no spike! It would have been great to meet the one and only TCD, but that's how it goes. If you remember, we were just a few sites apart in February. I didn't realize it until I got home and was reading his trip report.

So I was off to Animal Kingdom. It was a nice morning to be in the park, Low crowds. Somewhere between Dinosaur and Everest I got a text from a friend who was visiting Orlando - part of the reason I was there. He wanted to go to Hollywood Studios with his kids and they wanted me to come. I was pretty excited to be able to catch up with them, so I headed over.

The ladies wanted to hit the sweet treats shop there on Hollywood. When we walked in, the girl making candies absolutely flipped out. She was gushing. Smiling like I've never seen. Speaking a language I didn't understand. She gave me and my friend this.

310134_570146140865_46402462_31301795_615222307_n.jpg

(FYI it's a marshmallow with sprinkles I later discovered).

Interesting, but we moved on. We hit the coaster and TOT. They were great. I loved hearing the girl's scream. When we got to the coaster, a cast member saw us coming and gave us two fast passes and sent us through the fast pass line. So odd. Did one of us look like someone? Who knows. We all know I'm not famous or on a reality show or something like that, so it couldn't have been me. I was getting a little uncomfortable with all the special treatment, though. Next thing you know, we were going to win a golf cart decorating contest and then hang out with rangers.

After that we hit Star Tours (where one of the girls got a little sick, but the other was the spy) and a little Toy Story… again with this walk on treatment. I hated to do it, but it looked like the bottom was about to fall out and it was getting windy, so I headed back to the Fort. As luck would have it, not one drop of rain. None. I sat there and waited patiently for it, though.

I really wanted this to be a Fort evening. I called up my friends staying in the 200 loop and they were hungry. We agreed to meet at the Marina and head over to WL to either eat Artist Point food at the bar or just hit Roarin' Forks. When I got to the settlement, this is what I saw

310505_570146245655_46402462_31301800_1517133730_n.jpg

Holy cow at the crowds. When I saw HDDR in July the room was only about 1/3 full. Not tonight.

We ended up eating at Roarin' Forks. It was actually much better than I remembered it being. We sat outside and really enjoyed the weather and atmosphere. It was fantastic. We boated back just in time to catch Wishes! from the beach.

317450_570146290565_46402462_31301804_959151039_n.jpg

After Wishes! I wanted to see the EWP, but it was still about 30 minutes away. I decided it would be a good time to loop on foot to see some of the Halloween decorations and then grab an adult beverage from Crockets Tavern.

316179_570146335475_46402462_31301807_101438929_n.jpg

320830_570146370405_46402462_31301809_2069717607_n.jpg

298866_570146405335_46402462_31301811_2112414446_n.jpg

310265_570146440265_46402462_31301813_2065224205_n.jpg

So, I got the drink, sat down in a rocking chair and this was the scene in front of me. Things had certainly cleared out since earlier. Wow. Perfect Fort night.

318397_570146480185_46402462_31301815_1186485184_n.jpg

The EWP was great. I'll spare you all the photos unless Lou wants some. I probably even have a video I can post for him. Then it was back to the 1500 loop to get some shuteye. Monday was MK day.

Sounds simple…well. I got back and started getting settled in. I turned on the fans, poured a night cap, lost the shoes. Normal things. And then I heard it. BLARING 80's music. Now, I like 80's music, but it was about 11pm by this point. That's probably a bit late. Then I heard the singing. A lady, I'd guess 40's, scream-singing Rod Stewart and Journey. Screaming! Not ok. Then, someone turned the music down and she started talking about Rachel. And by talking, I mean screaming. She dropped the F bomb a good 20 times in 5 minutes… at the top of her lungs. Poor Rachel. She'd obviously stolen her man and her truck or something. This went on for about an hour. Finally security came cruising by. Then another. And another. The rest of the Fort was obviously left to fend for itself. She was still screaming. I could see their lights flashing. And then. THEN. Along came the sheriffs car. And that, fiends, was the end of that. From what I heard as I was snooping - err, taking a late night stroll, she was going to the local establishment decorated with bars… and her husband/boyfriend/dealer/whatever was to pack everything up and leave. Immediately. Wow. BTW, I have an audio recording of this, but it's not really family friendly, so I won't post it.

Now, I have to tell you I was completely fine with this decision. It needed to happen and she needed help. They were trouble and who knows what would have happened if they'd let her stay. But. And there's always a but. When TCD and I were in the 2000 loop in February, there were obnoxious guests crammed onto a couple of sites. They were endangering themselves and other guests by driving their Gator the wrong way, at night, 10 year olds driving, no adult supervision. They were also obnoxiously loud. They broke all the Fort rules…. but they weren't asked to leave. In fact, when I called the front desk they did send security, but they didn't even get out of their SUV. So a woman being loud and using profanity gets arrested and the site has to be vacated immediately. Obnoxious campers breaking multiple rules and endangering other guests don't even get a warning? I do have a problem with that…

I will now step down off my soap box.

After that it quieted down and it was a great night at the Fort.

Enjoying the trip report!

I thought you were going to look for a pop up? Decided against it?

Genia - I was. I somehow convinced myself that it wasn't the right time and that I wouldn't use it enough. I'll talk more about this later, but after this trip there was no doubt that I needed something. The problem was not wanting a MH due to maintenance and not really wanting a larger truck as a daily driver since I drive around downtown Charleston a good bit. All of those issues have worked themselves out, though, so a new-to-me travel trailer is in the works. I hope to have it all by my "work's finally done so I can relax for a week at the fort" trip in less than three weeks, but it's not looking good. I'm borrowing a hybrid for that trip if I don't have one of my own. No more being cold/hot and no more sleeping on the ground. Done.