Monique's Mo'Fun, Mo'Money, Mo'Fiend, Mo'Punch, Mo'Doggy, Mo'Dole Whip Trip Report!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Monique's Mo'Fun, Mo'Money, Mo'Fiend, Mo'Punch, Mo'Doggy, Mo'Dole Whip Trip Report!

You had Doodle at Rum and Stef at Balls ...

Holy crap Dave wins! ROFL we are home. Power and cable are on. No major frig messes - although upstairs will need to be dumped. Yard is full of downed trees and branches but nothing seems to have h

That's called killing 2 Fiends with one alcoholic treat! :rofl2:

Ok gang, the balls took longer than anticipated (or was it the fumes from all the rum??) so I'm gonna cheat on this one, skip around a bit and borrow from my own dining review (hey, you get what you pay for!) I'll try and make up by adding in some pics I skipped the first time around - and a few more bonus photos at the end.

So one of our goals on this trip was to see if we could locate some lounges around Disney property that also serve food of some kind. We'd already determined that the Tambu Lounge was one (see earlier post), but the real find for us was the Tune In Lounge at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

The Tune-In Lounge is located to the left of the 50s Prime Time Cafe. In addition to serving as the waiting area for the restaurant, there is a good size and full bar there as well where you can sit, order drinks and also order off the full 50s Prime Time menu.... without an ADR! (shhh.... don't tell anyone)

6342338457_c5f293a625_b.jpg

The decor here is fun and very detailed in typical Disney style. Here is the bar. I forgot to count but there are probably 15 seats, give or take...

6343117380_ebbb819f74_b.jpg

6342343377_861afd8d78_b.jpg

There are also a couple of "living room" areas setup with some additional seats...

6342345093_3deeece4eb_b.jpg

6342353213_00e5ca7978_b.jpg

6342346693_8c23d4e436_b.jpg

There are loads of great details around here too see, but look what I found lurking on a shelf!

6343112450_b4216a0cef_b.jpg

I love the level of detail Disney puts into their theming...

Wow - that is a VERY young Shirley Jones!

6343111560_184ea95507_b.jpg

6343110902_9bcc42284c_b.jpg

Ever wonder if those books on the shelves are real?

6343108026_58edacb295_b.jpg

6342355893_03eef9ab0a_b.jpg

I could really use some knowledge...

6343106366_6954c9fe97_b.jpg

6343104428_c95449e4e3_b.jpg

Who do you suppose this fine lady is?

6343109600_003b05739f_z.jpg

Now that's one funky lamp!

6343115718_ca64597179_z.jpg

We wandered in mid-afternoon on a Monday and the place was almost completely empty - just a couple of other people seated at the other end of the bar.

We saw at the left end of the bar and were served immediately. For those of you that think your draft beer choices at WDW are limited to Budweiser products and Yuengling, here is proof that you can also get Blue Moon...

6299529414_d9c128573a_z.jpg

Here's the food menu...

50s-Prime-Time-front.jpg

You can find the entire 50s Prime Time menu HERE.

We didn't want a huge meal, but were fairly hungry as we'd skipped lunch. We decided we'd order a few appetizers to share.

Here's what we ordered...

Aunt Annie's Seafood Salad - Lump Blue Crab, Bay Scallops, and Shrimp tossed in Citrus Vinaigrette served on seasonal Greens $9.99

6342370591_b593ab9e1f_b.jpg

I know it doesn't look very substantial at first glance, but it had 3 very large shrimp, a fair bit of crab and quite a few scallops...

6342374897_0943660888_b.jpg

The dressing was very nice - bright and not overdone and just the right amount. The seafood was served chilled and was cooked well - not overdone and rubbery or dried out at all. The greens and other veg were fresh and it all went together very nicely.

This definitely was appetizer sized but not what I'd call a skimpy portion. I would definitely order this again.

Beer-battered Onion Rings for Two - served with Horseradish Sauce $7.99

6342372243_405b6580a7_b.jpg

Hot and fresh from the fryer, nice batter, not too heavy or greasy and well-cooked, sweet onions inside. Horseradish sauce was pretty mild but had good flavor (I'm a big horseradish fan and would have liked more).

Cousin Amy's Iceberg Lettuce Wedge - Blue Cheese Dressing, Bacon, and Chives $5.49

6343123754_2ede8f8da0_b.jpg

If you enjoy a good wedge salad, this one was a winner and a pretty hefty portion at that. Nearly 1/2 a head of fresh, crisp iceberg lettuce with a healthy scoop of real bacon bits and plenty of blue cheese dressing packed with a TON of blue cheese.

I think if I'd ordered this salad and a full meal there's no way I'd have been able to finish.

By the time we got our food the bar and waiting area had started to fill up as it was getting close to dinner time. Service got a bit slow then and servers changed shifts. We had to wait a while for our bill, but we weren't really in a hurry so it was fine. Remember that this bar also serves the restaurant, so if lunch/dinner is in full swing, service may slow down some.

We were able to use our Tables in Wonderland 20% discount here and including our beers and tip we got out for less than $40 - a steal by Disney dining standards and we were plenty full.

Given the scarcity of really good counter service food at Hollywood Studios, and the fact that you don't need an ADR here, this was a pleasant surprise and a place we'll definitely be returning to.

So, while we're in the neighborhood...

This trip I finally had a chance to really poke into all the nooks and crannies of Hollywood Studios. I've heard people say that the theming in this park isn't as good or detailed as say... the Magic Kingdom, but after this trip I'm not so sure!

Right near the Tune In Lounge there is an "apartment building" - complete with mailboxes and an alley staircase...

6343090660_31d7c949be_z.jpg

6342336865_d6e09b483c_b.jpg

6342341909_72ab25617b_b.jpg

Not far from these "apartments" in Echo Lake there is the S.S. Down the Hatch.. which just happens to double as a snack location - when it's open.

6343072080_736e7c1306_b.jpg

Wow - check out that high water line! ;)

6343070292_f566f55bc9_z.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see some crates waiting to be loaded onto the ship...

6342324147_930b99390b_z.jpg

6343072686_d6c9b16d7c_b.jpg

6342318019_7ea62ee5a2_b.jpg

6343066438_9c4ae01a74_b.jpg

6342314865_57a2402c48_b.jpg

So I've matched up the movies for all of these but one.

6343068718_b9bb87e9c8_b.jpg

Anyone??

Well I'm running out of steam so I'll leave you with one last tidbit. Actually if I had one of these Butterfinger Cupcakes from Starring Rolls Cafe, I'd likely be on my way to a heck of a sugar buzz...

6343056270_e33689db75_b.jpg

6343057880_971def74bf_b.jpg

To be honest, these had a bit too much icing on them even for my sweet tooth. The cake was moist and delicious with a little bit of a caramel filling inside. The Butterfinger "crust" on the icing was fantastic - there was just too much of the icing itself.

This thing was also the size of a softball, so good to share but a bit much for one.

Although I could seriously go for one with a big glass of milk about now...

Not bad , since you did this while under the influence. :rofl2: I love the theming at the Tune In Lounge. I feel just like I did when visiting my Memere's house. :)

Oh, I almost forgot, we did have a set of The Book of Knowledge and used them all the time. :)

Thanks Monique! We know it's the holidays, but you ARE THE CONTENT PO PO! Maybe we need a trip report PO PO!

I nominate Ed. :popo: :siren:

Not bad , since you did this while under the influence. :rofl2: I love the theming at the Tune In Lounge. I feel just like I did when visiting my Memere's house. :)

Oh, I almost forgot, we did have a set of The Book of Knowledge and used them all the time. :)

Love it! A lot of that stuff reminded me of my Memere's house too. :heartsmiley:

The Producers ...

Thanks Ed - I should have known you'd know. :)

Great photos Mo!!!!! You sure are skilled with a camera my FIEND. ;D

Thanks Kim! It's all in the camera... and the fact that I snap pics like my life depended on it. I probably deleted 2000 more than I kept!

I'm with you. I think it's every bit as good.

DHS is my favorite park.

I've got lots more detail pics from HS - stuff I never noticed before. Stay tuned...

why am I suddenly starving?

Just wait until I get to the Food & Wine stuff! :parrot:

So, while we're in the neighborhood...

This trip I finally had a chance to really poke into all the nooks and crannies of Hollywood Studios. I've heard people say that the theming in this park isn't as good or detailed as say... the Magic Kingdom, but after this trip I'm not so sure!

Right near the Tune In Lounge there is an "apartment building" - complete with mailboxes and an alley staircase...

6343090660_31d7c949be_z.jpg

6342341909_72ab25617b_b.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see some crates waiting to be loaded onto the ship...

6342324147_930b99390b_z.jpg

6343072686_d6c9b16d7c_b.jpg

6342318019_7ea62ee5a2_b.jpg

6343066438_9c4ae01a74_b.jpg

6342314865_57a2402c48_b.jpg

So I've matched up the movies for all of these but one.

6343068718_b9bb87e9c8_b.jpg

In the trivia quests I used to participate in, these were the type of sadistic questions they used to ask us.

Like "What is T Kirk's apartment number?"

"What is the address of Bialystock & Bloom Theatrical Producers?"

No other clues except which park or resort the answer could be found.

In the trivia quests I used to participate in, these were the type of sadistic questions they used to ask us.

Like "What is T Kirk's apartment number?"

"What is the address of Bialystock & Bloom Theatrical Producers?"

No other clues except which park or resort the answer could be found.

Tell us about the Trivia Quests, Carol! Where do these originate?

Great update!

Am I the only person in the world that isn't into cupcakes? And I mean that in all seriousness...talking about actual culinary cupcakes. I'm just not a fan. Especially those with too much icing.

Now, the carrot cake cookie at DHS....yum!

I had a carrot cake cup cake the at a speciality bakery in weatherford that yum, yum, yum. However, I agree on the icing issue.

Yay, finally an update!! Sorry your balls took longer than you had planned....it happens.

The onion rings looked yummy! I'm with you, I love horseradish, lots of it, until my eyes water and my nose runs. (Gosh, that's an attractive thought, huh?)

I'm also with Dave, I'm not a huge cupcake fan (Old, crusty grey-haired ones, or the bakery type ones) I love the cake part, but I usually scrape the icing off.

Hoping to hear more....before the New Year! ;)

Tell us about the Trivia Quests, Carol! Where do these originate?

OK, this was part of our RADP meets back in the early years. I think they went from 99 - 2002.

Some goofy friends of ours (Jeff and Jenn) LOVED the little details of the parks, so they decided to create an all day scavenger hunt. The first couple of years it was pure scavenger hunt. About 1000 trivia questions similar to what I quoted above. The spent the entire year (they live pretty local, near Tampa, I think) scouring the parks, attractions, and resorts for these questions. Then anyone that wanted to get together a team could enter. Teams of 4, you had to stay together, and only use Disney transportation. 12 hours, all parks, all resorts, and DTD, then met up at a certain restaurant or bar at the end of the day, and they tallied our scores, and the winning team got dinner at California Grill.

The next couple of years they turned it into Amazing Race style. It was actually a lot easier, because they were finding that some of questions they found earlier in the year had been remodeled out of existence by the end of the year. Signs changed, car props were moved, etc., etc. Plus the holiday overlays changed a lot of things. Instead of 1000 questions, there were mini quests in various places, and fun games at several locations. For example one year, they gave us quests at the Poly, Grand, Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge, when we completed that quest, we would have the room number of their cabin at Fort Wilderness. Then we would need to go to their cabin, pick up the final clue, and get to the finish line at Crockets. Well, since I knew that all the cabin loops started with 2000, and then it would be a simple matter of walking the loop to find their cabin, we only went to the Poly and finished the clue that told us they were in 2700 loop. Then sped over to the Fort and got the clue. We didn't win. (There was a team with teenagers that could really "move") Us old farts didn't stand a chance. But it did move us up into 2nd place from about 5th.

They were then contacted by Dave and Jennifer Marx (Passporter) and a lot of their questions and quests were turned into the Passporter Treasure Hunts book. http://www.passporter.com/hunts/

They now have two little kids, so don't have much time for galivanting around WDW looking for obscure clues.

I think they do still go and find new things for the book though.

That is so cool! I would enjoy this, I tend to be a tad bit competitive! Maybe we could do a Halloween FF Quest!

Fiend Quest sounds like a blast - I'd definitely be up for it!

Now if only I can find a way to get to the Fort for Halloween next year.... come on lottery!!

Hey Monique-

I have fallen behind in my trip report reading, so I just got the chance to catch up on this one.

I enjoyed the photos and narrative about your pups and the 300 loop pet walk.

I loved the comment about the 6' leash. There is a similar requirement at a State Park that I often visit with Rocky. There is a beach there, and Rocky loves to swim out and retrieve things in the water. That isn't very feasible with a 6' leash. So, I intepret the rule the way you do. The only thing is that the signs they have there says that dogs must be on a hand-held 6' leash. I don't know how I will get around the hand-held part.

I loved your review of the lounge at HS. I remember reading this before, and I thought this was a link to something that somebody else had written. I didn't realize that you were the author. You did a really great job on that review, and I intend to visit that lounge some time. These lounges are a very good option to get food these during these days when it is impossible to get ADR's on short notice.

I also wanted to add that one of my favorite memories from my Halloween trip to the Fort is that on the day we were leaving, we took a final loop around the Fort, and we saw you and Brian out at the dog park with your pups. It looked like everyone was having a blast.

TCD