Monique's Mo'Fun, Mo'Money, Mo'Fiend, Mo'Punch, Mo'Doggy, Mo'Dole Whip Trip Report!

I think that the missing golf carts and party on the beach had something to do with the PGA Tour event that was going on at WDW on the weekend of 10/20-10/23. As a former WDW cart renter, I remember that in years past there would sometimes be an issue with being able to rent a cart from the Fort on the weekend the PGA Tour was in town.

And that's why Andrew, TCD, has the reputation he has.

The Children's Miracle Network event gobbles up buses, GCs, and rental cars.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Monique's Mo'Fun, Mo'Money, Mo'Fiend, Mo'Punch, Mo'Doggy, Mo'Dole Whip Trip Report!

You had Doodle at Rum and Stef at Balls ...

Holy crap Dave wins! ROFL we are home. Power and cable are on. No major frig messes - although upstairs will need to be dumped. Yard is full of downed trees and branches but nothing seems to have h

And that's why Andrew, TCD, has the reputation he has.

The Children's Miracle Network event gobbles up buses, GCs, and rental cars.

It also gobbles up restaurants!! Our first couple of trips to the "World" was that time of year, and a big golf tournament was always going on..... Hard as hell to get into a restaurant, and as newbies, didn't really get the reservation thing just yet.

So here's the bit of 'trouble' I'm having organizing this TR... we were there for 3 weeks! After the first couple of days, and with the exception of Halloween, everything kind of blurs together. So I'm going to take a whack at keeping this on track as much as I can, but it'll likely take a big ol' detour to Randomland at some point. If nothing else you'll get to see a pile o' photos that are hopefully in some semblance of order. ;)

So the day we arrived was October 22. And as we've been discussing, there seems to be something going on at the Fort - hence all the missing golf carts.

Once we got parked and let out a huge SIGH that we got there in one piece, we had a chance to get settled in and actually start to relax a bit. After chilling out for a bit we realized we were hungry, and after 2 days on the road we did NOT want to cook anything ...or eat another sandwich.

What to do... what to do? Hmm... how about we go hop on some Disney transportation and head to the Poly for some sushi to celebrate our arrival??

Damned fine idea!!

So off we head to the marina on our super fast Kenny Kart.

6341713241_e1ce5b3f31_b.jpg

While waiting for the boat, we saw this setup on Clementine's beach...

6341721267_6cc575d03b_b.jpg

6341719913_63904514d7_b.jpg

Hmm.. wonder what's the dealio??

Now we know that it was likely something associated with the PGA event, but at the time we thought "Who cares? Sushi awaits!"

Some of you are probably asking yourself "why are they taking a boat to head to the Poly?" I'm sure Lou is jumping up and down ranting "why didn't they drive???"

Well smarty pants, after driving almost 1300 miles, I'm done! And Brian barely drives period. Plus I was pretty sure there would be adult beverages involved AND... we're here for 3 weeks, we are in NO rush to get anywhere!

Besides, what better way to start off a WDW vacation than by crossing a couple of forms of transportation of the list? :rofl2:

Those of you transport veterans know the drill... boat to Contemporary, monorail to Poly.

Along the way we saw a delightful sight. It's the shoe tree - and guess what, there are quite a lot of shoes in it! :jumpforjoy

6342469906_273576d6c0_b.jpg

Gotta love to see a once-extinct, time honored tradition resurrected. ;)

More sights from our journey...

6342470562_905ccd2d63_b.jpg

Quick stop at Wilderness Lodge

6342473832_a51000f784_b.jpg

One thing we slightly miscalculated in our plan... the Kona Sushi Bar doesn't open until 5pm and we were a bit early.

Gee, I wonder where we can pass the time? How about the Tambu Lounge, just outside Ohana?

Another brilliant idea - we are on a roll!

Now some of you may know that a few of the bars/lounges around WDW serve food. Sometimes the full menu from the neighboring restaurant, sometimes just a few selections or a limited menu. Tambu is the latter...

6342503990_8af0970675_b.jpg

We had a hankering for the chicken wings but... because the kitchens that serve Ohana and Kona Cafe also don't open until 5pm, we were out of luck. No worries, my drink came in an edible container...

6299057345_54ec4f4b4e_b.jpg

On the left is a Lapu Lapu - Myer's Original Dark Rum and Tropical Fruit Juices served in a fresh Pineapple topped with Bacardi 151 Rum.

On the right is a Backscratcher - Barcardi Superior Rum, Myer's Original Dark Rum and Passion Fruit Juice topped with Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey and a Bamboo Backscratcher.

Holy rum-a-tum-tum!

These are just 2 of the drinks unique to the Tambu Lounge. The rest of their bar fare was the standard WDW bar menu. Here are the other Tambu notables...

6342478822_eaac58d22f_b.jpg

On am empty tummy these two were pretty powerful. And by this point we were starving and anything edible was fair game...

6299587128_65483f664e.jpg

Thankfully it was past 5 at last and we could scoot on over to the Kona Sushi bar!

For those that may not be aware, during the morning/day, this functions as the Kona Coffee bar (serving delicious Kona coffee), but at 5pm it converts to a sushi bar. This started as an experiment a couple of years ago and was popular enough to become a regular. The sushi menu is limited, but everything is fresh and delicious. And better yet, you don't need an ADR. It's first come, first serve seating with several seats at the bar and more at the counter along the window.

6341798711_c2a454dac8_b.jpg

6341796921_6b276a1276_b.jpg

6341795467_4eee4ea5ac_z.jpg

Here is the sushi menu...

6342540418_c5472ab500_b.jpg

You'll see another menu peaking out behind it. You see, the other bonus to eating at the Kona Sushi Bar is that, in addition to ordering sushi, you can also order off the full Kona Cafe menu.

But please... if I can get on my soapbox for just a second... please don't use up seats here at the bar if you (or someone in your party) isn't actually ordering sushi! We've had a hard time getting in here on occasion when large parties took up all the seats and none of them were actually ordering sushi. Yes it's a sneaky (and yes, perfectly "legal") way to eat "at Kona" without an ADR, but it stinks for those of us that really are there for the sushi. /rant.

Anywho... since we were so darned hungry, we ordered the sticky wings appetizer for 2 (off the Kona menu) and 3 rolls of sushi. I also ordered the Kona Longboard Porter.

So... apparenlty we were so starving (and this was our first night) that I forgot to take a photo of the wings. (oops) Let's just say they were delicious and indeed sticky! We enjoyed them enough to order them on subsequent visits also.

For sushi we had a volcano roll...

6341800287_4c34beda51_b.jpg

A crab cake roll...

6342550180_0233d023f4_b.jpg

and the Tuna Poke (pronounced po-kay, although my SIL got a kick out of calling it just plain ol' "Tuna poke")

6341801119_2de37fe701_b.jpg

Everything was delicious as always!! And the Longboard Porter was a really nice dark beer - not at all bitter, very smooth and not super heavy. My plan is to go back and post individual (more in depth) reviews of everything, but for now let's just say YUM! Oh and you CAN use the Tables in Wonderland discount at the sushi bar.

With full bellies and a couple of drinks, we headed back to the Fort.

Ok, here's the first time things get a bit hazy. Judging by the times on my photos, we clearly went back to the Fort at this point, but then landed at MK later in the evening.

"Why in the world wouldn't you just go straight to the MK from the Poly?" you ask.

Who the heck can remember?? Maybe we went back to feed the dogs. Yeah, yeah... that's it. I'm sticking with that.

In any case, on the way back we see more of the "big doings" on the beach...

6341816685_6f3ae90512_b.jpg

6341814949_0e5d54c9db_b.jpg

6342565868_406ac34b10_b.jpg

Hmm.. looks like a party! Notice the stage and instruments? Apparently there will be some sort of entertainment also. I wonder what?

Well, you'll just have to stay tuned to find out. :P

Here is the sushi menu...

6342540418_c5472ab500_b.jpg

For sushi we had a volcano roll...

6341800287_4c34beda51_b.jpg

A crab cake roll...

6342550180_0233d023f4_b.jpg

and the Tuna Poke (pronounced po-kay, although my SIL got a kick out of calling it just plain ol' "Tuna poke")

6341801119_2de37fe701_b.jpg

DH & DS love sushi. I wish I had known about Kona's Sushi Bar when we made our trip to Disney two years ago.

That Lapu Lapu is on my list of things I must have! Looks delicious, and what better way to really savor that kind of drink, than on an empty stomach. ::)

Looking forward to the rest, no matter how random or out of sequence. (Blame it on the booze...always works for me!)

Great update Monique!

That party set-up is something else. I have seen smaller private parties set-up on Clementine's Beach, but never anything of this scale. I am most interested in any additional information you have about this event. It took a lot of effort to get that all set-up on the beach like that. I wonder why they chose this location instead of the Polynesian Resort's beach or the Yacht and Beach club's beach.

TCD

I wonder why they chose this location instead of the Polynesian Resort's beach or the Yacht and Beach club's beach.

YC/BC's beach is not as big IMO and definitely not a good location for a private party right there on the sidewalk to multiple resorts & parks. I'd have picked the overlook/hill at the Poly myself, that'd be an awesome location if you ask me. Thinking about it, the Poly's beach gets too busy too - with folks waiting for EWP & fireworks - to keep a party private unless it was on the hill.

Don't know who planned it, or what the event was, but sure seems to me like they found a perfect place for it...

Ok this is a shameless crumb to tide over the angry TR hoards...

That party set-up is something else. I have seen smaller private parties set-up on Clementine's Beach, but never anything of this scale. I am most interested in any additional information you have about this event.

Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of concrete info on the specifics of the event, but I'm going to jump ahead and show you some pictures of it in full swing. Sorry for the blurry pics - it was my first full day/night using my new camera and I was still sorting out settings and what worked best with the zoom.

6342572848_f4a55c8d53.jpg

Some of the entertainment was definitely from the Poly - they had the hula dancers and some musicians - we could hear it pretty clearly from the dock...

6342575266_b2f0f617a6_b.jpg

They also seemed to be calling people up on stage from the audience - perhaps giving out some type of rewards or recognition.

6342571690_c18231dc33_b.jpg

These pics were from around 8:30pm while we were on the dock waiting for the boat to MK.

When we were parking the golf cart we did notice a lot of people milling around with lanyards that seemed to have a particular sort of special tickets or credentials. These people were much more dressed up than your typical Hoop-Dee-Doo crowd and some of them seemed a little lost.

There were also a couple of photographers wandering about too with cameras and tripods, looking like they were trying to figure out where they were supposed to be.

MK closed at 1am that night and by the time we got back to the Fort there was very little evidence that anything at all had taken place.

Monique-

Good job on the photos of the party on the beach.

I was thinking that maybe it was a wedding, perhaps bounced from the Wedding Pavilion as a result of the construction over there, but your description doesn't make it sound like a wedding.

As I have thought about this, it makes sense to have an event like this there- they had access to the Pioneer Hall kitchen, and the old River Country restrooms are close enough.

I am sorry that I wasn't there to see this. I think I would have crashed this party for sure.

TCD